IGNORED

New Signings

internetjef

I think we may see a defender come in on a season long loan(like Vasko) if Ribeiro's injury rules him out for the season. I think he was likely to be a squad player this year and now we seem even shorter at the back.

A creative CM would be very nice but i think I'm pushing my luck!

I think we may see a defender come in on a season long loan(like Vasko) if Ribeiro's injury rules him out for the season. I think he was likely to be a squad player this year and now we seem even shorter at the back.

I've been to both games and the longer Elliott remains out the more concerned I'll become. Definately need a tough tackling midfielder and perhaps a creative one as well (if Williams doesn't deliver).

Desperately need to tackle higher up the pitch, all City's attacking moves start so deep. Plenty of nice passing in areas that don't hurt the opposistion (in our own half) but not enough to give the strikers good service.

We have spent a whopping £2.5m on a quality striker but last night he was starved of any service. Fair play to Maynard he went lookign for the ball and put in some tackles but I for one want him in the penalty area. The goals again came from set pieces which tends to illustrate the point.

A creative midfielder has been mentioned in the forum since Christmas, almost as long as a striker, which we now have.

On the books we have Elliot, Noble, Skuse, LJ, G Williams and Artus. Most people accept that Elliot is first pick, so do any of the others have the strength, skill and creativity to help Elliot control the midfield.

When GJ took over we were bottom league 1, the midfield that almost got us to the playoffs was Noble/Skuse and Russell. Since then Noble was injured and LJ was signed. After that nobody else has had a look in at central midfield.

Noble has been selected in the hole and on the right flank, but not in his best and most creative position in center midfield. Skuse's career has not gone forward, and Artus has not been given a chance. All the comments from the Posh game mention G Williams being a good player when coming inside and playing more central midfield. Will he get selected at central midfield ? Unlikely. Carle played in the hole and right flank, but did not show any real form until given a chance in central midfield .

LJ is a good 90 minute club man, however we can do better with Elliot and a more solid and productive unit.

I hope that GJ gives G Williams or Noble a chance alongside Elliot. The LJ topic was thrashed to death last season and I don't wish to protract the arguement. Imo we can do better as a team with a stronger combination in the center of the park.

With Fontaine and Brian Wilson now the only cover for the starting back four we are desperatly short of numbers at the back , with Ribiero's injury , Skuse playing for Elliot and Vasko gone we must get one or two new signings in ASAP.

On this topic is Keogh still officially a City player ? If so perhaps he & GJ need to kiss & make up , even if only temporarily. :fingerscrossed:

I think we may see a defender come here on loan after Riberio's injury on Tues.

I'm still waiting for the European striker with a name that SL cant pronounce. Oh and Carle's replacement (although I think thats Gavin Williams now).

Intriguing one this. In a recent BBC interview Gary said that was just other people talking, they have just been scouting in Europe etc.. Disingenuous since both he and Steve referred to such a player at the Open Day. So either the deal has fallen through or Gary has changed his mind.

Ideally a versitile centre-back who can play left and centre, Matt Hill would be ideal.

And a creative central midfielder to push LJ for his place seeing as Noble's off the scene again at the moment and Skuse is Elliott's competitor really. Fran Merida on season long loan from Arsenal would be perfect, creative through the middle and could cover the left side if McIndoe was out.

Desperate for a good un in the middle, with the best midfielder at the club out injured we just look very normal with Johnson and Skuse, surely this has to be addressed? With Elliott missing I think it shows how much he carrys the midfeild, Skuse and Johnson both struggled to get control of the middle against Blackpool and Peterborough.

BTW I also rate Noble but it appears he's currently suffering due to not previously playing for Yeovil Town. :whistle2:

How can Skuse,Williams and Johnson be ahead of him in the pecking order?

Ideally a versitile centre-back who can play left and centre, Matt Hill would be ideal.

And a creative central midfielder to push LJ for his place seeing as Noble's off the scene again at the moment and Skuse is Elliott's competitor really. Fran Merida on season long loan from Arsenal would be perfect, creative through the middle and could cover the left side if McIndoe was out.

I watched young matty play all the time he was at City and I even went to school with him. I'm not quite sure if I've missed something, but I really didnt rate him. He was an OK LB or CB but he couldnt cross to save his life. From watching him last game last season, nothing much had changed my opinion to think otherwise. He is a versatile player, but IMO Liam Fontaine is 100 times better than him and anyone we bring in I would hope to be better than Matty Hill.

We are now woefully short of cover and it is almost unthinkable that GJ will let August pass without adding at least two players.

Yes, we have spent £2.25m + however much on Williams (£100k/£300k?) but let's not forget we are coming off the back of a massively succesful season, play-off finals associated income, profits from Nick Carle, another season of Championship TV revenue and record season ticket sales - there must be money in the kitty still.

As said in a previous post, I'm sure negotiations are ongoing, but in private so as to avoid the embarassment caused by the Metab/Mifsud deals.

He's been mentioned before, but I think Liam Ridgewell would provide 'quality' cover for a number of positions and is obviously good enough to be a first choice.

Our squad seriously lacks depth at present - I predict 2 signings in the next week.

Desperate for a good un in the middle, with the best midfielder at the club out injured we just look very normal with Johnson and Skuse, surely this has to be addressed? With Elliott missing I think it shows how much he carrys the midfeild, Skuse and Johnson both struggled to get control of the middle against Blackpool and Peterborough.

BTW I also rate Noble but it appears he's currently suffering due to not previously playing for Yeovil Town. :whistle2:

How can Skuse,Williams and Johnson be ahead of him in the pecking order?

We are talking as though a midfield player is some kind of identikit but there are various kinds. Lee plays the deep lying role avoiding a big gap between the defence and midfield whereas David is more of an auxiliary forward playing further up the pitch. Neither is suited to the other's role. If you're not married to having to play two orthodox wingers (and most teams haven't for years) you could accommodate both. I felt the problem against Peterborough was both Lee and Cole played deep. Although Cole was replacing Marvin he does not charge forward in the way Marvin does. I believe he could but he doesn't seem to have the personality to impose himself. Gavin looked very comfortable on the ball and taking people on, particulalry when coming inside and seemed more like David than Lee, though perhaps a bit stronger and quicker than David. So it seems to me Cole is more an alternative to Lee but we have nobody similar to Marvin. Playing two "attacking" midfield players in a 4-4-2 system is like trying to play Lampard and Gerrard- it doesn't work. Easy job being a football manager. :innocent06:

We are talking as though a midfield player is some kind of identikit but there are various kinds. Lee plays the deep lying role avoiding a big gap between the defence and midfield whereas David is more of an auxiliary forward playing further up the pitch. Neither is suited to the other's role. If you're not married to having to play two orthodox wingers (and most teams haven't for years) you could accommodate both. I felt the problem against Peterborough was both Lee and Cole played deep. Although Cole was replacing Marvin he does not charge forward in the way Marvin does. I believe he could but he doesn't seem to have the personality to impose himself. Gavin looked very comfortable on the ball and taking people on, particulalry when coming inside and seemed more like David than Lee, though perhaps a bit stronger and quicker than David. So it seems to me Cole is more an alternative to Lee but we have nobody similar to Marvin. Playing two "attacking" midfield players in a 4-4-2 system is like trying to play Lampard and Gerrard- it doesn't work. Easy job being a football manager. :innocent06:

I agree, and after seeing G Williams moving inside against Posh, i'd like to see him start alongside Johnson against Derby with Sproule/Noble/Wilson on the right. I very much doubt this will happen though because GJ doesn't like to change a winning team.

Until Elliot comes back, I think we may struggle a bit if we keep playing Skuse and Johnson in the middle.

A creative midfielder has been mentioned in the forum since Christmas, almost as long as a striker, which we now have.

On the books we have Elliot, Noble, Skuse, LJ, G Williams and Artus. Most people accept that Elliot is first pick, so do any of the others have the strength, skill and creativity to help Elliot control the midfield.

When GJ took over we were bottom league 1, the midfield that almost got us to the playoffs was Noble/Skuse and Russell. Since then Noble was injured and LJ was signed. After that nobody else has had a look in at central midfield.

Noble has been selected in the hole and on the right flank, but not in his best and most creative position in center midfield. Skuse's career has not gone forward, and Artus has not been given a chance. All the comments from the Posh game mention G Williams being a good player when coming inside and playing more central midfield. Will he get selected at central midfield ? Unlikely. Carle played in the hole and right flank, but did not show any real form until given a chance in central midfield .

LJ is a good 90 minute club man, however we can do better with Elliot and a more solid and productive unit.

I hope that GJ gives G Williams or Noble a chance alongside Elliot. The LJ topic was thrashed to death last season and I don't wish to protract the arguement. Imo we can do better as a team with a stronger combination in the center of the park.

Here , here that man .

Defender would be my want as a squad player as fears of a situation where e.g Carey and a.n.other might fall out long term, as last year could haunt us .

We seem to have solved our striker issue that was discussed nearly all of last season , so now where else can we strengthen as a squad .

I liked Vasko and was surprised he was to finally leave although his opps . were limited last term . :clapping:

I watched young matty play all the time he was at City and I even went to school with him. I'm not quite sure if I've missed something, but I really didnt rate him. He was an OK LB or CB but he couldnt cross to save his life. From watching him last game last season, nothing much had changed my opinion to think otherwise. He is a versatile player, but IMO Liam Fontaine is 100 times better than him and anyone we bring in I would hope to be better than Matty Hill.

Whether you rate him or not, he is a classic GJ player. Bristol born and bred, City fan, true professional and a good age.

I agree about him not being a good crosser but he's been away for 4 years now and had been getting rave reviews in the Championship long before we arrived at this level. Anyway, his job is to defend not cross so I wouldn't worry about that as that's McIndoe's job.

Fontaine is a good player but he's never a left back in a million years. McAllister whilst being good on the ball isn't anything better than average at this level IMHO and is often done on the outside.

Whether you rate him or not, he is a classic GJ player. Bristol born and bred, City fan, true professional and a good age.

I agree about him not being a good crosser but he's been away for 4 years now and had been getting rave reviews in the Championship long before we arrived at this level. Anyway, his job is to defend not cross so I wouldn't worry about that as that's McIndoe's job.

Fontaine is a good player but he's never a left back in a million years. McAllister whilst being good on the ball isn't anything better than average at this level IMHO and is often done on the outside.

I don't actually think he is a classic GJ player at all. From my experiences with him, he was arogant and definately not a City fan in the true sense of the word. I don't believe GJ would play him as a centre back and I cant see GJ prefering Matty Hill over Mcalister or Fontaine.

As for crossing being Mcindoes job, well people were slating Mcalister in another thread for not getting enough crosses in. An IMO a good left back should be able to overlap the LM and get crosses in from the goal line which in all the time I saw Matty Hill was his biggest downfall. He could jump high for a short lad though.

No your right, Fontaine is not a left back but he is suitable cover. And when asked to play there he does a good job IMO.

Carle was brought in to play on the right but unfortunately that wasn't his ideal position. When he was moved into the middle to cover for Lee Johnson's injury he looked a great player but I think he was always going to be backup for Lee so with an offer of £1million he was off. Gavin Williams has now been brought into play on the right and the midfield is now complete. It would be nice to have backup for Lee but couldn't see Carle being a squad player. We now need a squad player in defence and perhaps another striker.

I agree, and after seeing G Williams moving inside against Posh, i'd like to see him start alongside Johnson against Derby with Sproule/Noble/Wilson on the right. I very much doubt this will happen though because GJ doesn't like to change a winning team.

Until Elliot comes back, I think we may struggle a bit if we keep playing Skuse and Johnson in the middle.

Totally agree, although i'm not questioning either of their ability, i think they are both very similar players and not really work in the same side together... neither of them are really attacking or defensive they both just seem to sit in the middle.. I just feel that a centre mid should be someone who can grab the game by it nuts and make a difference (i.e. elliots job)..

We are talking as though a midfield player is some kind of identikit but there are various kinds.

Correct. You have quality midfield players like Elliott and Noble and then you have your average one's like Johnson and Skuse. I fully appreciate you will have different sorts of midfield men with different styles but ultimately the job of a midfielder is the same regardless.

To retain the ball and feed the attacking players when in posession and to get back and support the defence when your not. Poor old Nicky Maynard didn't stand a chance with the service he recieved on Tuesday.

My points is I don't think we have enough quality in this area of the pitch.

When's Darren Way signing?

Correct. You have quality midfield players like Elliott and Noble and then you have your average one's like Johnson and Skuse. I fully appreciate you will have different sorts of midfield men with different styles but ultimately the job of a midfielder is the same regardless.

To retain the ball and feed the attacking players when in posession and to get back and support the defence when your not. Poor old Nicky Maynard didn't stand a chance with the service he recieved on Tuesday.

My points is I don't think we have enough quality in this area of the pitch.

When's Darren Way signing?

So Owen Hargreaves' job is the same as Frank Lampard's? So Senna's job was the same as Iniesta's at Euro 2008? Palpably not. Brazil won the 2002 World Cup with 2 defensive midfield players. The job of every midfield player is not the same in the modern game. Occasionally you get a player that can do it all. Rarely at our level.

Carle was brought in to play on the right but unfortunately that wasn't his ideal position. When he was moved into the middle to cover for Lee Johnson's injury he looked a great player but I think he was always going to be backup for Lee so with an offer of £1million he was off. Gavin Williams has now been brought into play on the right and the midfield is now complete. It would be nice to have backup for Lee but couldn't see Carle being a squad player. We now need a squad player in defence and perhaps another striker.

That's the question I would like answered why was Carle only going to back up for Lee Johnson? I just done't understand that view, it as though Johnson is as a good as Hoddle in his prime and he whilst a fair player in my view is that just a fair player, he's not rubbish but he's not world class. And my view has nothing to do with his family name, its based purely on my view having watched him play. He is a very good league 1 player and will contibute in the Championship but Carle is a better all round player (IMO) with International experience.

I honestely believe that Elliott is injured now purely becuase he did a whole seasons work in the first six months of last season and was just physicaly burnt out by the end carrying the work of the central midfield area. He desperately needs a partner long term who will be able to share the burden of City's high work rate ethic. I thought we had that when I saw the outstanding performance at Selhurst Park but now its gone unfortunately

What I'm worried about is if Johnson gets injured who is the current squad will replace him. Williams - Hasnt played in the Centre for us yet. Skuse when Elliot is back fit - No. Noble - Johnson hasn't played him their for over 2 years!! Another playmaking centre midfield and covering defender (year loan) would be great. Job done

Archived