IGNORED

No Smoking At Half Time Next Season?

CitySlam

At the 'Peterborough United' game on Tuesday, a couple of my mates went for a cigarette at the Dolman-Atyeo corner. The gate wasn't open because they got there too early so were talking to the steward at the gate.

Apparently this stewart said that fans who want to smoke at half time would have to stand outside the gate (as it was last season) BUT they would not be allowed back in after. This was going to be done after the first few home games.

I can't find anything on the os to back this up. Perhaps they'll add it soon.

I don't know if my mates (or the steward) made this up or not.

Can anyone confirm/deny this?

At the 'Peterborough United' game on Tuesday, a couple of my mates went for a cigarette at the Dolman-Atyeo corner. The gate wasn't open because they got there too early so were talking to the steward at the gate.

Apparently this stewart said that fans who want to smoke at half time would have to stand outside the gate (as it was last season) BUT they would not be allowed back in after. This was going to be done after the first few home games.

I can't find anything on the os to back this up. Perhaps they'll add it soon.

I don't know if my mates (or the steward) made this up or not.

Can anyone confirm/deny this?

One of our stewards at Black pool told me that all we smokers would not be able to go out for a cigarette as we were breaching F.A rules. Did not hear anything about you not being allowed back in though!! Apparently this has not come in force yet but have it on a good source that it will not be long. You should come along :dancing6: to the Dolman end G Block where the stewards are brilliant.

Wow an hour and a half without a fag. How do this people cope on airplane flights?

Thats not the point though. If people want to have a cigarette at half time in an area that you are allowed, away from all the people who do not want to smoke or inhale smoke, then thats fair enough. If you buy a ticket for something you are entitled to come and go as you please. Smokers have already had to endure all the other rules and regulations that have come in and this one really takes the michael.

It is really begining to impinge on peoples civil liberties if this comes in.

Thats not the point though. If people want to have a cigarette at half time in an area that you are allowed, away from all the people who do not want to smoke or inhale smoke, then thats fair enough. If you buy a ticket for something you are entitled to come and go as you please. Smokers have already had to endure all the other rules and regulations that have come in and this one really takes the michael.

It is really begining to impinge on peoples civil liberties if this comes in.

That's a great signature you have Sir, and sums the situation up nicely :winner_third_h4h: ..........

"I ONCE KNEW A MAN WHO GAVE UP SMOKING, DRINKING AND EATING RED MEAT. HE WAS COMPLETELY HEALTHY RIGHT UP TO THE DAY HE KILLED HIMSELF".

......I no longer smoke so the smoking ban doesn't affect me but that'll be really harsh if smokers aren't allowed back in after going for a ciggie at half-time.

I no longer smoke so the smoking ban doesn't affect me but that'll be really harsh if smokers aren't allowed back in after going for a ciggie at half-time.

Same here - what the problem in letting smokers back in?

But as yet its only rumour that the new smoking rule will actually happen.

We non-smokers may regard this as no big deal but it is indicative of the ongoing erosion of our little freedoms in a culture that is getting increasingly oppressive. You can't stand at football without fear of ejection, you're harrassed if you travel away (if you're allowed to travel independently at all), your children are frisked in case they have an illicit bottle of water (really, that happened to my son on Tuesday) and so on. We who go to football matches are all apparently potential criminals. In due course the Government plans to force ISPs and phone companies to retain all our online and mobile transactions for a year because we are all potential terrorists. Don't be indifferent if someone else's little freedom is taken away; tomorrow it will be yours.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Thomas Jefferson

Same here - what the problem in letting smokers back in?

But as yet its only rumour that the new smoking rule will actually happen.

For what is supposed to be a nominally left-wing government the impingement of our civil liberties is becoming relentless. Police spy cameras everywhere, we can't drink alcohol within sight of the pitch, can't smoke. And...to cap it all.....I've again been fined for doing a few mph over a given speed limit. :badmood::rolleyes:

your children are frisked in case they have an illicit bottle of water (really, that happened to my son on Tuesday) and so on.

Below is the signature that I currently carry on the BCFC ziderheads website. Lo and behold, cider head had the foresight to include in it a little girl being frisked for an illicit water bottle. :whistle2:

cider head meets banksy - an artistic representation of Police state monitoring of our East End in 2008...

NEW-1copy.jpg

We non-smokers may regard this as no big deal but it is indicative of the ongoing erosion of our little freedoms in a culture that is getting increasingly oppressive. You can't stand at football without fear of ejection, you're harrassed if you travel away (if you're allowed to travel independently at all), your children are frisked in case they have an illicit bottle of water (really, that happened to my son on Tuesday) and so on. We who go to football matches are all apparently potential criminals. In due course the Government plans to force ISPs and phone companies to retain all our online and mobile transactions for a year because we are all potential terrorists. Don't be indifferent if someone else's little freedom is taken away; tomorrow it will be yours.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Thomas Jefferson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b2kBleDxOc

Below is the signature that I currently carry on the BCFC ziderheads website. Lo and behold, cider head had the foresight to include in it a little girl being frisked for an illicit water bottle. :whistle2:

cider head meets banksy - an artistic representation of Police state monitoring of our East End in 2008...

NEW-1copy.jpg

A picture paints a thousand words. Nice one.

If you tolerate this your children will be next.

The Manic Street Preachers

I assume they have to check your tickets as you come back in? If we're using the electronic ones I assume they're only good for one entry per match, otherwise much piss taking would ensue. I'm not sure if it's anything to do with the smoking more likely something has been changed or some sub rule has been interperated differently or there's a policy change in the leaving then coming back in rules.

As in, we've had issues with people forgetting to take tickets out..or passing on tickets to gain others access etc.

This isn't Niemöller's First they came... It's most probably a case of trying to do away with fee dodgers. I wish people would use reason before wanting to believe debunked (interestingly from both right and left in this case) conspiracy theorists and copy pasting rhetoric.

I gave up after the play-off final so this doesnt affect me ( i hope to keep it that way) but i cant see the problem with letting the smokers pop out for a fag.

For those that say "its only one and a half hours", it really isnt as easy as that if you have a habbit.

I assume they have to check your tickets as you come back in? If we're using the electronic ones I assume they're only good for one entry per match, otherwise much piss taking would ensue. I'm not sure if it's anything to do with the smoking more likely something has been changed or some sub rule has been interperated differently or there's a policy change in the leaving then coming back in rules.

As in, we've had issues with people forgetting to take tickets out..or passing on tickets to gain others access etc.

This isn't Niemöller's First they came... It's most probably a case of trying to do away with fee dodgers. I wish people would use reason before wanting to believe debunked (interestingly from both right and left in this case) conspiracy theorists and copy pasting rhetoric.

If any of this is true why are there Burger vans outside the stadium which were used by hundreds at halftime v Peterborough and all of last season? I can't see that there is huge difference between electronic cards and season tickets books because the Stewards at half time just glance at them.

From what I've seen while queuing for the gents the Stewards do indeed check tickets on the way back in and I've never noticed any disputes. The vast majority are now season cards rather than tickets of course.

The more general point is not a moon-landing conspiracy theory thing I think. Governments, include Western Democracies, are quite open about what freedoms they want to restrict and what things they want to control. Bear in mind the US Supreme Court recently ordered YouTube to hand over records of everything everybody has watched (albeit anonymised) for the benefit of the TV companies. If the likes of Google, Microsoft and Yahoo are happy to collaborate with the Chinese government in restricting its citizens freedom I imagine they would feel pretty relaxed about doing the same for any other country. Beware anybody who says they're restricting your freedom for your own good!

Anyway, not really City related now so I'll get me coat.

For what is supposed to be a nominally left-wing government the impingement of our civil liberties is becoming relentless. Police spy cameras everywhere, we can't drink alcohol within sight of the pitch, can't smoke. And...to cap it all.....I've again been fined for doing a few mph over a given speed limit. :badmood::rolleyes:

Communism however, grants people way more freedom.

The more general point is not a moon-landing conspiracy theory thing I think. Governments, include Western Democracies, are quite open about what freedoms they want to restrict and what things they want to control. Bear in mind the US Supreme Court recently ordered YouTube to hand over records of everything everybody has watched (albeit anonymised) for the benefit of the TV companies. If the likes of Google, Microsoft and Yahoo are happy to collaborate with the Chinese government in restricting its citizens freedom I imagine they would feel pretty relaxed about doing the same for any other country. Beware anybody who says they're restricting your freedom for your own good!

Anyway, not really City related now so I'll get me coat.

The more general point I was making to was that City changing its readmission policy which inadvertantly would affect smokers is not a logical step in the chain to Orwellian dystopia.

The owners of the stadium have the right, hey the civil liberty to readmit or not. I'm pretty confident it's in the ticket small print that city can do pretty whatever they like regarding admission and can change that on a whim. You have the right to read that small print and buy your ticket adhering to those terms and conditions. You have the right to spend your money elsewhere.

The more general point I was making to was that City changing its readmission policy which inadvertantly would affect smokers is not a logical step in the chain to Orwellian dystopia.

The owners of the stadium have the right, hey the civil liberty to readmit or not. I'm pretty confident it's in the ticket small print that city can do pretty whatever they like regarding admission and can change that on a whim. You have the right to read that small print and buy your ticket adhering to those terms and conditions. You have the right to spend your money elsewhere.

I think you are absolutely right on this specific issue. Much the same would apply say to a cinema or a nightclub. The wider debate beyond that about the modern authoritarian mind always looking for new things to ban is not appropriate to this forum so I'll say no more. Anyway, I might get banned! :innocent06:

This does not surprise me,

I think it's because more and more NON smokers are going outside the gates at HT just for a jolly and because they can

When the ban first came in last season it was just the smokers (of which I am one) who would bother but then it became their mates - just standing around - then people noticed the burger vans were without queues outside so people started to come out to get food at HT quicker

Now on Tuesday I noticed whole bleedin groups of kid wandering out the gate ...why? because they can I guess

The club (as others do) allowed the smokers controlled exit at HT as a favour almost to help offset the ban inside but when it becomes loads of people going out just because they can then it is not sustainable anymore

I think it should be the case that when you book a ticket if you have a membership card that you also receive a ticket about the same size as the card which just has your seat number on. Therefore there can be no more arguments. But I do agree with 'Fodbarmyarmy' about how it isn't just smokers going outside, it's people going to the burger vans, city news and maybe even trying to squeeze in a quick pint at Bar BS3.

Archived