IGNORED

Waste Of Money

42 trumpton

Sorry i cant keep it to my self no longer, on tuesday night we had a home game v peterbourgh, not a risk game. Yet at 5.20 outside the away end you had 2 riot vans and 1 police car in total containing 20/30 police officers.

During the game you had 2/3 police officers sat in the far block of the eastend (awayside) for what reason i don't know

What I'm trying to say is that tuesday night should have been the right game to get our police FREE games in, therefore i should imagine saving the club money.

Can anybody tell me how much it costs us to pay for 20/30 police people to sit around and do nothing for 5 hours???

Which is what happened, unless anyone can correct me and tell me they had running battles up north st??

Totally agree. The stewards were doing a better job at man marking the away fans than our defence marking the forwards in the first half!

Only a few stewards were needed imo, and that was just to give the feeling that someone had authority. There was never going to be the slightest hint of any problems. Totally over policed and a waste of resources.

I know I criticise the police alot, but even the most pro-police person could'nt deny that there presence at the p'boro game was totally unnecessary.

i don't think we have a choice its either the FA that decide or the police. I agree not much need for them, should had some maybe a handful say 10 max and they should have come on their push bikes save some money on fuel.

I think the club have to pay for the entire police presence, i remeber Reading a few years back going balistic about the cost of the fuzz at their home games. It costs a fortune could buy an extra player with the money, well a few Steve Jones's anyhow.

I wonder what mobile network Stevie Jones is on answers on a postcard. :laugh:

It may have been a small crowd but tempers in football quite quickly and quite easily flare up. Rather safe than sorry IMO

In our league one days the crowd was almost double and most weeks there was'nt a police presence and there was rarely any problems. And any flare up was handled by the stewards...

That was'nt very long ago and we managed without police, why not now with half the crowd. There would never have been a flare up in a million years on tuesday... infact, i almost fell asleep!

hindsight is a great thing.

You don't need hindsight to know that a 1st round carling cup game with a third of the usual attendance against a league one side on a work night is not going to requite police. All it takes is basic common sense.

Barring a draw against a non league side in the FA cup that was the least likely game this season to have any trouble.

obviously were not all going to agree on this, and by no means am I particularly 'pro-police' however, I just feel that the thinking behind it may have been, summer holidays, comparitively cheap tickets, city's success last year, perfect for a load of gobby kids to turn up and show off infront of their mates. We all know what some of the chavtastic teenagers in and around this city can be like (just look at the social forum). Also it was pay on the day so no-one can be entirely certain of how big the attendance was going to be and what sort of crowd would be coming.

When I said things could flare up, I wasnt necessarily referring to the scoreline, but moreso something like a ridiculous red-card/penalty/on-field scuffles etc

Obviously it turned out that the police presence was not needed, but could that be a deterrence effect perhaps??? who knows, right or wrong, my point of view is better safe than sorry.

I don't think it is a waste of money, at the end of the day they are there for everyones safety. In terms of the amount then mybe there was one or two too many but whilst we are planning a new stadium we need the council, police and all parties on side so I don't expect SL to cheap out on security hit the papers due to riot & what a surprise no planning permission.

With Margaret Thatcher's disciple Gordon Brown now leading the country with his own version of Thatcherite policies....

019Thatcher1DM_468x298.jpg

....the big worry is that the Police themselves could kick off as they regularly did during the Thatcher era. You don't believe me? Then watch the 10 minute video on the link below........

Good comment goblin - i understand that there are many styles of policing and sometimes they can make matters worse however compared to what we see from foreign police at overseas football matches our police are pussy cats!

It's can't win I think - if you don't have them and something kicks off then people would criticise and vice versa

:englandsmile4wf:

obviously were not all going to agree on this, and by no means am I particularly 'pro-police' however, I just feel that the thinking behind it may have been, summer holidays, comparitively cheap tickets, city's success last year, perfect for a load of gobby kids to turn up and show off infront of their mates. We all know what some of the chavtastic teenagers in and around this city can be like (just look at the social forum). Also it was pay on the day so no-one can be entirely certain of how big the attendance was going to be and what sort of crowd would be coming.

When I said things could flare up, I wasnt necessarily referring to the scoreline, but moreso something like a ridiculous red-card/penalty/on-field scuffles etc

Obviously it turned out that the police presence was not needed, but could that be a deterrence effect perhaps??? who knows, right or wrong, my point of view is better safe than sorry.

And the stewards could'nt handle the chavs?? Its more likely the chavs are creating trouble on our streets rather than a low profile League Cup 1st round game against local opposition!! and where are the OB? sat chatting in the corner of the East End, get paid for doing nothing.

So, while some chav breaks into someones care somewhere or a young girl is being raped somewhere or a ranny's being attacked & mugged, the police are sat in a near empty football stadium, because of the 1% chance of trouble. No wonder our country is in the state its in!

Get in the real world.

Riaz - that's a bit harsh mate

The reason we have loads of police at AG is cos we're paying for it, the rest of your arguement should be sent to No. 10 downing st. It's very easy to criticise everything but we could have police doing alot more than they do but who wants to pay for it - i think our taxes are reasonably high already - then you could discuss how effectively it's used - lets be fair this is a football forum not a politics class enough said!!

The reason we have loads of police at AG is cos we're paying for it, the rest of your arguement should be sent to No. 10 downing st. It's very easy to criticise everything but we could have police doing alot more than they do but who wants to pay for it - i think our taxes are reasonably high already - then you could discuss how effectively it's used - lets be fair this is a football forum not a politics class enough said!!

The police around AG (not inside it) aren't paid for by the club they're paid for by taxpayers AFAIK.

There are many more effective things those police could have been doing but it seems that a few hours of overtime sitting in a van appeals to them.

If you don't believe this is why they're there, wait until the next bank holiday game and notice the numbers quadruple despite the early kick off.

To those who don't know....

At City we have Stewards, FRG's and the Old Bill..

Stewards are general anybodies who you will see standing around the grounds sitting by the pitchside etc. FRG (First Response Group) are licensed Bouncers/Bodyguards who you see standing between the Home and Away fans behind the goal....usually with police inbetween them.

As one of the FRG it is ALWAYS better IMO to have police present....I remember Cardiff/Palace/Wolves when there was a stron police presence and it WAS NEEDED.

Yes Peterbrough aint exactly the same but I fully understand why they have a presense IMO

As for us FRG...like working the doors in town....we can handle generally handle ourselves and other people....however, when there is 30 of you and a few thousand away fans we (just like working the doors) need all the help we can get.

Its not harsh at all - I would rather see coppers walking our streets, than sat watching a nothing game of football.

If we have police presence tomorrow, fair enough - but totally not needed against Pboro

To those who don't know....

At City we have Stewards, FRG's and the Old Bill..

Stewards are general anybodies who you will see standing around the grounds sitting by the pitchside etc. FRG (First Response Group) are licensed Bouncers/Bodyguards who you see standing between the Home and Away fans behind the goal....usually with police inbetween them.

As one of the FRG it is ALWAYS better IMO to have police present....I remember Cardiff/Palace/Wolves when there was a stron police presence and it WAS NEEDED.

Yes Peterbrough aint exactly the same but I fully understand why they have a presense IMO.

But nobody is disputing having a few police in the ground, they're disputing the need to have dozens of them sat on their arses in riot vans.

That game was never, ever going to pose a problem so the question as to why they were there is a valid one IMO.

The Police decide how much to charge clubs for each Constable, Sergeant & Inspector etc.

The Police decide how many of each rank will be in the ground.

If the club disagrees, the Police withdraw the Safety Certificate so the game cannot take place.

Assoc of Chief Police Officers are currently discussing making clubs pay for extra Police on duty outside the grounds. This will only affect football, not rugby or cricket clubs, not pop concerts etc.

The ridiculous state of affairs was highlighted on Tuesday as 30 odd Posh fans had been drinking with City fans in The Robins and then had to be segregated to watch the game. As a follow up to the Safe Standing campaign, how about fans being allowed to mingle for low key, small attendance games?

Saw a prog on TV where Scottish fans said English fans can't believe there's no Police in the grounds for many of the games in the lower two divs. The fans are seggregated and the clubs have Stewards on site. It is considered a wasteb of resources therfore to send Police to the ground. Instead they are on the streets deterring murder, rape, burglary, theft and vandalism etc especially in areas of high crime incidence.

Archived