IGNORED

Weakest And Strongest

Lack of Action Man

What are your thoughts on Our strongest area and Weakest area in the squad?

I.e. in terms of Player ability, vision, fitness and pace, and cover incase of injury.

We have the 2 best goalkeepers outiside the premier league, in Basso and Weale.

Our Midfield, IMO, is our strongest area because of how much strength in depth we have.

We have Noble, Sproule, Williams, Wilson and Murray that can all play RM.

Elliott, Noble, Johnson, Williams and Skuse can all play CM.

And McIndoe, Wilson and Murray can play LM.

Up front isn't a problem any more as Adebola and Brooker are scoring and Maynard has scored and IMO is still trying to find his feet. Then after those 3 Trundle has so much quality to turn a game on it's head.

The defence is the weakest part of our team because we haven't got enough cover. Webster, from what I've heard from Coventry, is very solid at the back and good cover for Carey and Fontaine but with Carey and Webster getting cuts to the head (okay they are fine now but if they were both out) and McCombe out for 6 weeks with a broken cheek bone, we would only have one fit centre back in Fontaine then would have to rely on young James Wilson, who, as good as he is, is IMO not ready for the step up to the Championship.

At left-back we only have Jamie McAllister and Liam Fontaine (as a cover) so if McAllister and a centre back got an injury, we would be screwed!

It's the same at right back as we only have Bradley Orr and Brian Wilson (as a cover) (And Carey at a stretch) now that Ribiero is injured.

I'd agree with that.

Without doubt the quality of the TWO keepers we have is exceptional and definitely our strongest point.

I am still pleasantly surprised we have Weale. I think its a tribute to GJ's style of man management and the professionalism of Chris Weale that he is still at our club - long may that remain the case.

Cover in defence is an issue. However look at it this way - the fact that straight after the McCombe injury we got somebody in pretty sharp shows its not like he doesn't know this.

However say McAllister (who I hasten to add still worries me in that role) got injuried we'd be switching Fontaine across to cover when he clearly is an exceptional centre back and I'd like him to stay there.

We miss big Marv. Skuse has filled in ok but he can't really replace the big man in my book.

I think we're reasonably covered in other positions.

Also for the first time with Brooker, Maynard, Adebola, Trundle we have 4 decent forwards who can all do a different kind of job for us.

We're good in all areas but excellent in very few, I would say.

Goalkeeper is the one position where I'd say we have the division's best.

Our defence works very well as a unit but individually there are better players around. Credit to Gary Johnson here though for selecting players who complement each other well and produce a unit that is much stronger than the sum of its parts.

The midfield can be very classy and effective but generally only when it is allowed to. If the opposition gives them the space they can play their way through in a manner reminiscent of Arsenal at their finest. As soon as they're denied space, however, the midfield becomes almost entirely impotent. There isn't anyone who can take control and hold onto the ball for long enough to create some space for the others. Marvin Elliot is the best we have in this department and without him they really do seem to struggle under pressure. We also don't have anyone who seems able to beat his man reliably. Sproule should be able to but has largely disappointed so far. Maybe Williams will do better.

Up front we have a great range of options but none of them would truly feature in most people's "dream" championship front pairing. Adebola and Maynard is definitely a partnership with potential, though, and Brooker is a reliable finisher who seems more than up to this level of football. On his day Trundle can create the spectacular but maybe not often enough.

Overall then I think we have possibly the best all-round team in the division but one that excels at nothing in particular technically.There is room for improvement in every single area but at the same time none is really letting us down. We do lack strength in depth but so do most teams - even Man Utd are struggling for cover at the moment. Sometimes you just have to accept that cover for all positions isn't possible and we just have to hope like mad that key players don't get injured.

I'd say we have a strong TEAM, with no "Individuals".

My only concern with the squad, is the lack of cover down the left. If either of the too macs got a long term injury, I don't think we got anyone who could fill in adequately.

If we could afford more players to bolster the squad, you can never have enough options.

I would like to see another 3 players, right side of midfield, left back and experienced central midfield player. These would have to be better players or offer something different to the side, so if we need to adopt different tactics when playing against different styles.

I think the team spirit in the squad is vital and wouldn't want to upset the status quo as it stands so I would only add those extra players to benefit the team, club and planning for the prem.

Its going to be a long season, lets hope elliot and macker comes back soon. :dancing2::chant6ez:

Archived