IGNORED

Cracking Game

Robbored

Even though City didn't win I enjoyed todays game emmensely. End to end for most of it and I thought QPR were very a good outfit especially going forward. They weren't so impressive at the back but they did enough to keep City out towards the end when City looked the most likely to nick a winner.They kept their shape well and even the introduction of Sproule didn't change that.

As for City that lack of guile again cost us two points. Even with the introduction of playmaker Williams and wide man Sproule City didn't look much more threatening and although Adebola had a good header brilliantly saved towards the end that was pretty much it.

One thing I did notice was how many times City took long range shots. It didn't come off today but its good to see.McIndoe, Johnson and even Fontain tried their luck.

Overall City might just have nicked it but a draw was probably about the right result. I reckon QPR will there or there abouts this season.

As for City that lack of guile again cost us two points.

One thing I did notice was how many times City took long range shots. It didn't come off today but its good to see.

These 2 things go hand in hand, players resort to long range shots when they don't have the guile to break through the back line with the final killer pass.

In terms of the shots to goals ratio, long range efforts are the hardest goal attempts to score from. The reason people talk about long range goals for so long after the event, years in some cases eg: Wilkshire, Jimmy Mann even, is that they are so very rare. 90% of the time you are just giving possession back to your opponents.

You need to make your mind up son.

I thought QPR looked very good in the first half, they passed it through and around our midfield almost at will sometimes. The way they played means Wilson and McIndoe had to tuck in and as a result, we were very narrow and predictable. The one thing I was disappointed with today was how sloppy we were in possession, giving the ball away cheaply with a lazy pass on several occasions.

Thought Wilson played well again, made runs, tackled, headed the ball, tracked back, got forward, everything really. Fair play.

Anyone else think Bradley looked leggy? I thought it towards the end of the Coventry game and again today.

Cracking game though, only a brilliant save from Cerny stopped us taking the points I reckon.

don't matter how creative you are its hard to get past 2 banks of four on the edge of the area. We may as well of kept swinging it in for Dele to have a go at and let others pick up the pieces.

Not a sniff again for Maynard and Dele seemed to be getting into the positions we expect Nicky to be in.

Never mind though, nice to watch in the sun and see johnny foreigner get sent orf eh what what!!!

p.s

1st poor game i've seen from McIndoe, Wilson doing well though ...

I thought QPR looked very good in the first half, they passed it through and around our midfield almost at will sometimes. The way they played means Wilson and McIndoe had to tuck in and as a result, we were very narrow and predictable. The one thing I was disappointed with today was how sloppy we were in possession, giving the ball away cheaply with a lazy pass on several occasions.

Thought Wilson played well again, made runs, tackled, headed the ball, tracked back, got forward, everything really. Fair play.

Anyone else think Bradley looked leggy? I thought it towards the end of the Coventry game and again today.

Cracking game though, only a brilliant save from Cerny stopped us taking the points I reckon.

yes he had a very good game, did everything but stay wide and provide width (same for Mcindoe). All afternoon we tried 1-2's six inches away from each other and tried (in vain) to walk it through the middle, instead of stretching the 10 men and using the flanks.

On another note, despite my SEVERE reservations in McAllisters ability, Fontaine threatened to get a nose bleed every time he passed the half way line. And as much as I never thought i'd say it we missed him in the second half - because Mcindoe was everywhere apart from on the left wing.

These 2 things go hand in hand, players resort to long range shots when they don't have the guile to break through the back line with the final killer pass.

In terms of the shots to goals ratio, long range efforts are the hardest goal attempts to score from. The reason people talk about long range goals for so long after the event, years in some cases eg: Wilkshire, Jimmy Mann even, is that they are so very rare. 90% of the time you are just giving possession back to your opponents.

You need to make your mind up son.

Last season when City were finding it hard to break down teams there was a sorry lack of long range shots. Its not a tactic that any team should rely on but when you watch goals on Motd or the Championship week in week out quite a few are from outside the box.

I don't agree that its what teams resort to when they are struggling to break down the opposition.Thats usually 'long ball syndrome' which last season City ended up playing far to often.

What long range shooting does is give the defenders something else to worry about.They can't afford to stand off very far if they are worried that the ball could end up in the top corner.

The bottom line is that if you try and walk the ball into the net you'll end up losing posession more often than not.

i thought we competed well today but didnt really get our game going. we had no width as wilson spent first half playing further infield that williams normally does, and then mcccindoe pulled the same trick in the 2nd half.

Actually thought we played better before they had man off. maynard was invisisble today, hopefullt he will have a blinder soon as some of fans around me were getting right on his back. I'm still sure he will be class once he has settled.

Dele played well and ran tirelessly aswell as always, cant fault his commitment

The first half was an excellent show of football by both sides I thought. The sending off actually ruined the end to end-ness (if that is a phrase) and it galvanised QPR.

I thought both sides looked reasonable and I have said it before, we are still 2 quality players away from winning games like this and being a real force.

A good start all in all- well done everyone so far.

I must have been watching a different game today! I thought the game was very poor with both teams finding it hard to find a way through the defenses. City were very narrow with Wilson practically playing center mid instead of right wing. This meant we had no one running down the right wing, giving their left back a chance to get forward on the break.

I feel pity for the QPR faithful who seemed overwhelmed to get a point by cheering at the final whistle like they had won the game.

I've lost a lot of respect for Iain Dowie after seeing him tell his players to keep the ball in the corner flag after a free kick in a very promising position with the opportunity of nicking all 3 points. QPR looked lost for ideas in the second half and their players gave me the impression that they really don't care about wearing the clubs shirt.

Anyway I can't stand QPR and hope they fail this season!

They have their own 5 year plan for the Premier League, but in terms of petulance and gamesmanship I think some of their players are already Premier League standard

Their fans were cracking today though, although I did have a good laugh at the lad on the front of their conga line cracking his face on the bottom of the steps when he fell over

Cheering a 1-1 like they'd won the World Cup as well... :D

I thought they saw the majority of the second half with only ten men out professionally. They kept the ball well with ten and our full compliment of players couldn't break them down, fair play to them. Their fans were rightly chuffed at the final whistle with a point..........some people amaze me.

QPR looked good for the first 20 mins, scored 1 and kept going at us..They seemed 2 fade once we scored.

In the second half it was basically all us especially after (pele) :laugh: got sent off.

Thought Brian Wilson played very well, always busy..Adebola tried hard, Once again maynard given poor service from no width and passes through there defence. I'm starting to worry for the lad, he must be getting frustrated.

When down to 10 men I Cant believe we didnt introduce BROOKER for FONTS and gone 3 at the back with 10 mins to go.

We had um on the rack.......another derby to me, 2 pionts dropped :tomato:

Although on here your not allowed to be slighty honest.

Guest churchill gaffer

Yes.

I thought they were a team destined to be up towards the top.

Great midfield.

I was impressed by our effort though. We could have won it. (Maybe if Brooks was given the chance, by taking Maynard off)

SORRY BUT I SO MUCH WANT MAYNARD TO DO IT. BUT I THINK HE IS ONE FOR THE FUTURE, AFTER HE HAS SETTLED IN. I'VE NOT SEEN ENOUGH FROM HIM YET. I THINK WE NEED TO PLAY THE BALL ON THE FLOOR FOR HIM TO SHINE.

I thought they saw the majority of the second half with only ten men out professionally. They kept the ball well with ten and our full compliment of players couldn't break them down, fair play to them. Their fans were rightly chuffed at the final whistle with a point..........some people amaze me.

Couldnt agree more mate.

Frank

Yeah, the first half of today's game was excellent; their (QPR's) midfield controlled things and they gave us a few problems up front, but defensively they looked at sea for the first 20 minutes or so and I was confident we'd equalise. They started defending properly when they really needed to, after the sending off. Wilson had an excellent game I think, mobile and energetic, and Dele did what he's meant to do. Have faith in Maynard...there's alot to come from that lad, I reckon.

Call me a lazy fker but I have had a quick look down the list here and couldn't really see somewhere to stick my thoughts so apologies if this is a double up somewhere else.

Will add that the Trundle issue did catch my eye - i said to my brother yesterday I was surprised he wasn't even on the bench yesterday - I'm sure it'll come out whats happening but I am perplexed on that one. I know he didn't fire for a lot of last season but i thought the way he finished last season (away at Stoke, Preston home, Palace in play offs) he was worth a punt?! Anyway I am not on the inside so I guess, like with Marcus S it'll all come out in the wash what's happening.

Anyway - yesterday.

I'll get this out of the way early, I don't like Dowie, I don't like the way his teams play football, I don't like the whole Palace palava and from what I saw yesterday I see no reason to believe QPR will find success under him.

Overall I thought we just shaded the first half - QPR played ok for the first 20 mins or so but after we scored I thought we had the upper hand.

Despite having these stars in their ranks, I thought the most effective player they had was Dexter Blackstock. He chased down everything and the most dangerous they looked was when they punted it long for him to chase - the goal came from his persistence (something i wish we'd do) and all credit to him.

The sending off changed the manner of the game.

People say "how come you don't beat 10 men?" - by rights I admit a side should when you have literally an entire half with a man more. However when you are the home side particularly and you have a set up whereby QPR totally gave up attempting to attack, made substitutions that produced a 4-4-1, it is very hard to break down.

This brings me on to our midfield. It has become abundently clear to me (even at Coventry) that we lack a real quality midfield man to provide the defence splitting ball with some bite in the tackle. Marvin Elliott is sorely missed and should the unthinkable happen and we sell him, we really really are very short of cover.

The issue I have with us is that we are a very good side where teams attack us and leave chances for the counter but when we are asked to break down a team showing zero intent than grabbing a point, we quickly run out of ideas.

This happened at Wembley when we chased the game and it happened yesterday. I don't think its any coincidence we have a 100% away league record and two draws at home.

On the sending off - the first booking for the Argie was soft I admit. He threw the ball petulantly but it looked to me like he was throwing it towards McAllister to give him the ball. However with the genius walks the devil and I have no problem with his type of player getting the rough end of the stick on yellow cards. His type of player would think nothing of diving (as his growing reputation is to do) and getting a player booked so fair enough. His second yellow was rash and a yellow card. I would have given him a yellow for the 2nd and nothing for the first but I don't reckon he would have stayed around long. He was petulant throughout and getting on the ref's nerves. He would have either gone later or Dowie would have had to take him off.

Personally speaking, I thought we looked ok at the back but our left back position is an issue - nothing new really to add than we have said for a week or so now.

Midfield lacked bite and the drive to break down QPR.

Strikers, I actually though Maynard did reasonably ok. A striker lives or dies by service.

Adebola - made a nuisance of himself and can consider himself extremely unlucky to not have two goals.

I would have brought Brooker on than Sproule. I know GJ would have been thinking that his pace would help break down QPR's backline but for me Brooker's clinical finishing in the dying minutes speaks for itself this season already and would have been the better option.

On QPR - top two side? Never in a month of sundays.

Ok in midfield and Blackstock is a danger man so he'll always score.

At the back I thought they were very ordinary. I know it seems odd after stating how we couldn't break them down but the goal when it was 11 v 11 to me showing real village defending. They all just stopped and watch Dele score then the inquest after we scored, they all seemed to blame each other.

Believe it or not, I reckon if it remained 11 each on the pitch I reckon there was more chance of us scoring!!!

All in all, bit disappointed. Drawing a game when a side plays with 10 for the whole second half is two points dropped.

Midfield is becoming a worry for me rather than up front.

PS - still interested on whats happening with LT.

Call me a lazy fker but I have had a quick look down the list here and couldn't really see somewhere to stick my thoughts so apologies if this is a double up somewhere else.

This brings me on to our midfield. It has become abundently clear to me (even at Coventry) that we lack a real quality midfield man to provide the defence splitting ball with some bite in the tackle. The issue I have with us is that we are a very good side where teams attack us and leave chances for the counter but when we are asked to break down a team showing zero intent than grabbing a point, we quickly run out of ideas.

Midfield lacked bite and the drive to break down QPR.

Midfield is becoming a worry for me rather than up front.

I wasn't at AG yesterday so thanks for your thoughts which look well considered - I daresay you'll get some negative responses though for questioning the lack of a creative, tackling midfielder because that's a no go zone for some people who believe we have one of the best people in the league holding down that spot...

I wasn't at AG yesterday so thanks for your thoughts which look well considered - I daresay you'll get some negative responses though for questioning the lack of a creative, tackling midfielder because that's a no go zone for some people who believe we have one of the best people in the league holding down that spot...

:laugh: can't believe my post has been merged under the thread that says "Impressed with QPR"!

I thought about putting it in here but I wasn't remotely impressed with them!!!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I am far from an anti-LJ man. I just think though we lack that someone to unlock a tight defence.

We used to have a lack of a fast, young hungry striker - we know we have that now.

:laugh: can't believe my post has been merged under the thread that says "Impressed with QPR"!

I thought about putting it in here but I wasn't remotely impressed with them!!!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I am far from an anti-LJ man. I just think though we lack that someone to unlock a tight defence.

We used to have a lack of a fast, young hungry striker - we know we have that now.

I agree with you mate.

I started this thread and said I was impressed with QPR especially going forward. They will, if their main men stay fit score plenty of goals. Thier defence has a reputation for being dodgy and we say how statuesque they were when Abebola scored but that was only time they looked suspect all game. If they can keep other teams out more consistantly then they will be a serious contender this season. Anyone who can't see that must be blinkered.

Maybe not automatic but certainly the top 6.

Imo thought it was a poor game against an over hyped QPR team who like Derby in the previous home game were there for the taking, we're sadly lacking a quality creative midfield player.

I thought QPR looked like a very good side up until they went down to 10 men, and then pretty much settled for the one point... To be honest, I don't think we did enough to earn all 3 points, as we never really got our game going, and couldn't break down their solid defence...

The Derby game we should have won without a shadow of a doubt, as they were absolute crap and I think they'll be going down this season, but QPR look to be a "top 6" side come the end of the season I reckon!

Thier defence has a reputation for being dodgy and we say how statuesque they were when Abebola scored but that was only time they looked suspect all game.

That's true but its hard to tell because they obviously re-arranged and played so far back in the 2nd half they essentially had a back six at times!

I agree they will be in contention for play offs but there will be better sides than them that we have to face.

Birmingham are the real deal in this division in my opinion.

I can't agree with the title of this post.

While we played well in the first half, it was the proverbial "playing against 10 men" display in the second half. QPR shut down and made every effort to stifle the game and protect their point - for which you can't blame them, considering the circumstances.

We just didn't have the wherewithal to overcome that and get behind them.

I'm was gobsmacked that McIndoe tucked in after the sending off when we should have been spreading the play wide to take advantage of our extra man.

In my opinion, we should have played McIndoe AND Sproule wide, brought on Brooker for the last 15 minutes, and peppered their box with crosses.

To do that, I would have taken Maynard off, who was ineffective in the 2nd half.

I thought we should have taken one of our defenders off and gone 3-5-2, we were desperately lacking in width and bringing sproule on and taking off Webster we could have had Wilson Johnson and Williams in the centre and Mcindoe would have had to stay out wide where we needed him.

QPR at that time were playing Blackstock up front on his own and we had 2 defenders not marking anyone.

Bitterly disappointing that GJ didn't shake it up more, QPR needed to be stretched and even though Sproule made an impact when he came on it was the lack of width ultimately that let us down.

I thought the Parejo was quality. Even though he seemed to be running around trying to get his own team mates to give him the ball, his running off it was quality. I remember one instance in the second half where he won it about 10 yards from their box started, an attack and then sprinted about 50 yards to join it in again.

I thought the Parejo was quality. Even though he seemed to be running around trying to get his own team mates to give him the ball, his running off it was quality. I remember one instance in the second half where he won it about 10 yards from their box started, an attack and then sprinted about 50 yards to join it in again.

I noticed this as well. I remember reading an interview with Torres in which he said he preferred the English game because the forwards stayed up front; rather than dropping deep and starting attacks, then running up the other end and finishing them (lazy sod!). So Parejo evidently hasn't adapted yet, but to still play well shows oodles of talent (probably why he's at Real Madrid, I imagine).

Archived