IGNORED

Maynard

Always-Believe-Bcfc

are you having a laugh? do you go to many games? if you did you would understand that a striker CANNOT score goals without some form of service. and the midfield found it difficult to supply this service due to the negativity of QPR's tactics once they had ledesma sent off. they did defend very well.

Saha went for about 8-9million!

Give the lad a chance for crying out loud. Okay, he didn't have the best of games and maybe he hasn't scored enough goals for the amount of money he cost, some people would say but he's 21! He's young, never been away from Crewe and he needs time. The same as every other new player.

Same with Trunds last season. Some got on his backs and didn't let him play his football.

Let the kid play, it's early days. Judge him after atleast 10 league games.

i know its weve just started the season and hes still settling in but what if hes a flop? i think the amount we payed for him was stupid as ive been informed SAHA went to everton for 2mil!I'm not suggesting hes not good I'm just saying he doesnt look what hes made out to be!

Silly Gas head #######, knocking our players in not clever or constructive really is it! Especially as were still in August!Mods please delete before other people waste their bandwidth on this dribble

He has only scored 1 in 5 but it could have been so different. I am confident he will get goals, he missed a sitter at Blackpool and had one effort headed off the line against Coventry. A couple goals will get his confidence up and i don't think we should judge him for at least another 10 games yet.

People say that Foreign players need time to settle, well so do English ones. He is only young and this is his first time away from home and the only club he has ever known. Next season him and Akinde will score 50 goals between them, mark my words! :clapping:

Unfortuantely if City don't adapt to him then he will not fulfill his potential with City which would be greatly dissapointing for club and player. It is far to early to get on the lads back, but it is not early enough to pass comment on the lack of service to the guy.

Yet again today we have seen both wide players pushed inside to asssit the central midfield duo, we have agagin seen the midfield then bypassed by and large with hopeful balls up the pitch. Twice today we saw quality crosses from high up the pitch / dead ball line one led to a goal and the secound on or about the 88th min led to a full length save.

I will get slated but sod it, until we get more drive and quality in the centre of midfield and select players that do there job without being subsidised by other players, poor old Maynard like Trundle before him, will get slaughtered. The answer always seems to be get another striker in, without very little discussion about the midfield.

Wonderful things have been achieved and no doubt will continue to be achieved by the manager and players but this season I think we will approach a cross roads, having to decide how far to we want to go. It would be a desperate shame when we are that closs to realing achieving something special that the clubwill bypass the real requirement to strengthen the centre of midfield. A Ben Watson type player is the order of day, in my opinion.

When Maynard starts missing chances from six yards out, then crtisim will be justified, but the way City play at times we need a headless chicken who is prepared to constantly chase lost causes and not the "fox in box" everyone keeps going on about.

I think people are allowed to voice their own opinions, without other users of this forum calling for the Mod's to step in a delete a thread just because you don't like what has been posted.

Moreover, the thread is quite topical, as it is clear on today's performance that Maynard looked like a school boy on trial, completely out of his depth. I have not doubt that he will prove to be a fine acquisition for BCFC in the long term and score many goals, but on todays performance he did not look like he was worth £2.25m.

He streched Coventry last week, forcing their keeper into one very good save and having another headed ff the line, and scored the week before that.

Yes we paid a lot for him, but unlike our expensive signing last season he has time on his side.

One thing to consider:

Maynard signed just 8 days before we started the season and had only one preseason game with the team. Since then (exactly one month ago) he has played 7 games in total (including today's) and scored 4 goals in total. He now has 13/14 days to work with the team, the longest period of time without games he's ever had to prepare with the other players. Maybe we'll see them all working together a bit better after that.

Unfortuantely if City don't adapt to him then he will not fulfill his potential with City which would be greatly dissapointing for club and player. It is far to early to get on the lads back, but it is not early enough to pass comment on the lack of service to the guy.

Yet again today we have seen both wide players pushed inside to asssit the central midfield duo, we have agagin seen the midfield then bypassed by and large with hopeful balls up the pitch. Twice today we saw quality crosses from high up the pitch / dead ball line one led to a goal and the secound on or about the 88th min led to a full length save.

I will get slated but sod it, until we get more drive and quality in the centre of midfield and select players that do there job without being subsidised by other players, poor old Maynard like Trundle before him, will get slaughtered. The answer always seems to be get another striker in, without very little discussion about the midfield.

Wonderful things have been achieved and no doubt will continue to be achieved by the manager and players but this season I think we will approach a cross roads, having to decide how far to we want to go. It would be a desperate shame when we are that closs to realing achieving something special that the clubwill bypass the real requirement to strengthen the centre of midfield. A Ben Watson type player is the order of day, in my opinion.

When Maynard starts missing chances from six yards out, then crtisim will be justified, but the way City play at times we need a headless chicken who is prepared to constantly chase lost causes and not the "fox in box" everyone keeps going on about.

Agree entirely and pretty much what I was chatting to my mate about on the way out of the ground. Creativity in the centre is what is required, which in turn should prevent McIndoe drifting in, and give us that width that we need.

I think the drive from our midfield could coincide with the return of Elliott. I have been very impressed by Skuse but i think Elliott is in a different class to him and his return will have a positive impact on our performances. Whether LJ is the answer alongside him is yet to be decided in my mind as i believe that Williams could be a good foil for Elliott in central midfield.

maynard ran his socks off today,

qpr just got men behind the ball,

and we could not provide the service for him,

maynard will score goals,

lets all be patient

I thought we said that about trundle?

No Maynard is a quality striker who gives his all to the team, it's a big step up from league 1 to the championship as proven by the likes of Sharp, Hawley, best and Trundle last year

I hope i wasn't alone today in seeing signs of greatness from Maynard? He needs the ball played into him when he's square to the defender and a couple of times today he nearly turned and got in behind with this type of ball but it didn't quite happen. You could see that it was a matter of time and if the game had stayed stretched instead of the sending off causing QPR to get ten men behind the ball and subsequently leave no space, then i feel the stage would have been set for a goal from him.

He's good with the ball at his feet, is surprisingly strong and had a great little run into their box only in the second half to show us what he can do and WILL undoubtedly get better with time. I heard some eejit behind me start slagging him off after about twenty minutes, which is just what we should all do because this will only make him more determined to perform for us......won't it? Give the boy a chance and he WILL become a darling of the Gate, but question his ability so soon into his tenure and he will struggle.

I think the drive from our midfield could coincide with the return of Elliott. I have been very impressed by Skuse but i think Elliott is in a different class to him and his return will have a positive impact on our performances. Whether LJ is the answer alongside him is yet to be decided in my mind as i believe that Williams could be a good foil for Elliott in central midfield.

I don't think you will find anyone to disagree about Elliott. If the he returns the same player he was for the first six months last season, he will indead provide what is sadly lacking.

I think he needs another player to play alongside him, who in my view should have already been recruited, following the close season transfer activity. Today yet again that the centre of midfield is vital.

We desperatly need a player that is going to score goals from midfield, run past the game line and creat space and tackle higher up the pitch. Elliott does this, but he can't do it alone. We just sit far to deep and don't support the forwards enough and with the wide men tucking right in there are even fewer outlets in which to find space.

Maynard is crying out for thr ball to be cut back from the dead ball line on the floor, but this isn't going to happen with McIndoe/ Wilson / Sproule in the centre of midfield. Only very late on when Sproule was released did City start to press down the flanks.

I don't think you will find anyone to disagree about Elliott. If the he returns the same player he was for the first six months last season, he will indead provide what is sadly lacking.

I think he needs another player to play alongside him, who in my view should have already been recruited, following the close season transfer activity. Today yet again that the centre of midfield is vital.

We desperatly need a player that is going to score goals from midfield, run past the game line and creat space and tackle higher up the pitch. Elliott does this, but he can't do it alone. We just sit far to deep and don't support the forwards enough and with the wide men tucking right in there are even fewer outlets in which to find space.

Maynard is crying out for thr ball to be cut back from the dead ball line on the floor, but this isn't going to happen with McIndoe/ Wilson / Sproule in the centre of midfield. Only very late on when Sproule was released did City start to press down the flanks.

I agree with you totally, but I fear that the manager will want his son playing in the centre of midfield with ME when fit again. In my opinion thats why he got rid of NC and I can't see us getting a good central midfielder before the end of the transfer window on Monday.

Silly Gas head #######, knocking our players in not clever or constructive really is it! Especially as were still in August!Mods please delete before other people waste their bandwidth on this dribble

and also ban this chelsea scum are you city or are you chelsea make your mind up

I agree with you totally, but I fear that the manager will want his son playing in the centre of midfield with ME when fit again. In my opinion thats why he got rid of NC and I can't see us getting a good central midfielder before the end of the transfer window on Monday.

Hear what you are saying but I'm stearing clear of that debate. As it upsets the natives, all I'm saying is that in my opinion that is a posistion that we are lacking and it would make a huge difference.

I'm not interested in personalities, I'm like you a Bristol City fan and like to discuss what I beleive would inprove the team and perofrmance, however unpatlatable that may be for some. Many will be quite rightly be please with the Status Quo and statistacaly there is not a lot wrong is there, but better to be proactive than re-active and people should rememeber that, as they is room for improvement. We have a great chance this year and just one or two key additions could really be the difference, on what I've seen so far I believe that to be the case.

Great post.

You have summed up what i have been saying all day.

Thank you.

i know its weve just started the season and hes still settling in but what if hes a flop? i think the amount we payed for him was stupid as ive been informed SAHA went to everton for 2mil!I'm not suggesting hes not good I'm just saying he doesnt look what hes made out to be!

Difference is, Saha wouldn't have come here, and he's 30.

Another flop? FFS!

Give the lad a chance. City aren't exactly laying tap-ins at his feet are they?

Lots of goalscorers go through lean spells. I remember Goater often went 4 or 5 games without scoring but then would bag a brace or a hat-trick.Thorpe was the same.

From what I've seen of Maynard I reckon he'll adapt to the CCC.He looks keen and enthusiastic and will start scoring imo.

Another flop? FFS!

Give the lad a chance. City aren't exactly laying tap-ins at his feet are they?

Lots of goalscorers go through lean spells. I remember Goater often went 4 or 5 games without scoring but then would bag a brace or a hat-trick.Thorpe was the same.

From what I've seen of Maynard I reckon he'll adapt to the CCC.He looks keen and enthusiastic and will start scoring imo.

Can you tell me what you have seen to suggest this - I've been to 3 games and seen the extended highlights at Blackpool and I haven't seen anything that would suggest this at the moment? Doesn't mean he wont make it though. I think Brooker would be the better option to partner Dele in the next game.

Can you tell me what you have seen to suggest this - I've been to 3 games and seen the extended highlights at Blackpool and I haven't seen anything that would suggest this at the moment? Doesn't mean he wont make it though. I think Brooker would be the better option to partner Dele in the next game.

His work rate is very impressive, closes down and harries .He finds space by constantly moving but as yet City aren't creating enough for him.The rebound against Derby tells you what a poacher he is. Last season that chance would have gone begging. At B'pool he missed a sitter but at least he was in the right place to miss it...

Archived