IGNORED

The Referee

Big Man

Just thought I would make a comment about the referee's performance yesterday at the Gate: I thought he was excellent. He wasn't influenced by Iain Dowie's antics on the sidelines, and he cautioned players when they deserved it. It is not often you get chance to praise a ref; so well done Darren Deadman. :thumbsup:

Just thought I would make a comment about the referee's performance yesterday at the Gate: I thought he was excellent. He wasn't influenced by Iain Dowie's antics on the sidelines, and he cautioned players when they deserved it. It is not often you get chance to praise a ref; so well done Darren Deadman. :thumbsup:

agree with that comment, even my wife said it was nice to watch a game without the ref blowing his whistle all the time.

agree with that comment, even my wife said it was nice to watch a game without the ref blowing his whistle all the time.

It was refreshing to see a ref try to keep the game moving wherever possible. No complaints, but he was definately on "our" side for the majority of the game! Thought Ledesma's first booking was a little harsh, as was their lads booking from the 50:50 challenge with (I think it was) Wilson. Thought Maynard might have picked up a booking in the second half too for a late one. Still, as I say, definately no complaints - just something to bear in mind when we are on the other side of the coin in future games.

I thought he completely ruined a good game of football - Orr got booked for a nothing foul, shortly after QPR got booked for throwing the ball away in anger - it was imo a very minor show of dissatisfaction and got exaggerated by McAllister, the other fouls that yellow cards were not warranted (except the 2nd yellow card but I didnt see that one).

There was not much on physical play and as soon as there was he blew up and showed yellow cards - our midfielders didnt get close to theirs and likewise the reverse was true - had Elliott got stuck into then he would have been sent off - in that respect I was glad he didnt play.

20 fouls were given throughout the game and 7 yellow cards given out - sorry but there was possibly 2 yellows that were deserved, the 2nd yellow for their guy (but didnt see - so not sure on that one) and Sproule's yellow (again didnt see it but if the ref gave one for diving and Sproule looked guilty as he was receiving the punishment - so I'll accept that one).

Speaking as someone who officated for over 20 years, including at sem professional level, I also thought he had a very good game. I also thought the youngest ref in the league, who handled our game with Derby was excellent and despite what Coleman said, Phil Dowd at Coventry last week, was very good.

What helps, is our manager and our players demonstrate a reasonable level of discipline. I would guess that refs look forward to refereeing Bristol City. Not sure they enjoyed it quite so much in the 70's!

I thought the ref started off with a lenient spell when he seemed to let things go and I was intially impressed with his efforts to keep the game flowing. Sadly he wan't able to maintain his good start and for some unknown reason started to show unecessary yellow cards.

Orr and Sproule's card were particularly unwarrented.

But....consistant and refereeing are not two words that you would associate with each other.

Its amazing how depending on the team you support can change your views on how a referee performs. Personally I thought he had a shocker as did the rangers fans around me. The first booking looked an absolute joke although I would like see the incident again. Can't really comment on the second booking as I didnt have a good view of the incident. Later in the second half there seemed to be a good old fashioned tackle in midfield, our player definately played the ball but the ref decided not only to give the free kick to you guys but to also book our player???? Did anyone see what Blackstock was booked for at the end? He seemed to just put the ball down for a corner, but the ref gave you a free kick and I am guessing booking Dexter for showing dissent....

Dexter got a yellow for from a ridiculous referee by placing the ball for our team, to take the free kick from the correct position - referee presumably thought it was deliberate time wasting (how does that work - must've been all of 2 seconds) or for preventing us taking the freekick - the place he put the ball was about 2 feet from where the freekick was taken...

i thought the ref bottled a few decisions, namely ledesma throwing the ball away the first time, it states in the rules if you throw the ball away you get booked immediatly, had he booked him then ledesma would have been sent off after 35 minutes for repeating his act of childishness

the ref could also have booked there fella for a blatent dive in the middle of the pitch, is it only in the box where cheating can be punished? he certainly could have sent the gypsy guy from them off at half time when he was in the referee's face on the way to the tunnel, dowie should have been sent to the stands because he ran on the pitch at one point and was flapping his arms and raving like steve phillips after a howler.

the booking for there guy when he took the ball and his leg followed through and took mccalister away was a joke and never ever a foul, bradley did nothing wrong but was booked for his first challenge in a nothing position.

and did anybody see there massive defender(stewart?) twice kick Maynard in the head, he knew what he was doing with both of those, ive done it playing rugby and football(I'm not proud) but you know what your doing when you flick your legs towards people.

he was also very bad in where he was positionally, i don't know where the ref's are meant to go but he always seemed really close to the ball and got in the way quite a lot(mostly to hinder QPR tbh but it was still annoying.

Bizarre.

I thought he was rubbish. :noexpression:

He was really dire in the first 45 minutes. He was inconsistent, weak, missed QPR shirt-pulling and leaving their feet in.

Two incidents in the first half stick out. The first was only 2 or 3 minutes in when Orr was man-handled in the box by Connolly. It looked a clear penalty from the Atyeo and the ref bottled it. I can't help thinking that Orr needed to be a bit more "cute" in that situation and hit the deck. I'm not saying he should have dived because there was enough tugging and shirt pulling from the QPR player for him to go down.

The second was the free kick taken on the right hand side of the box by McIndoe. The ref let the two QPR players stand and complain only a couple of yards from McIndoe whilst going over to sort out a scuffle in the box which as all eyes had been on McIndoe, the ref, assistants and fans had missed. Adebola had been tugged back and actually kicked by a defender. It just seemed really weak refereeing that he didn't force the QPR players to get back initially but then wasted some time sorting out the fracas in the box before going back to the QPR defenders to get them back.

He did improve in the second half although still made some strange decisions for both sides, Blackstock getting booked for placing the ball back for us sticks in the memory.

Bizarre.

I thought he was rubbish. :noexpression:

He was really dire in the first 45 minutes. He was inconsistent, weak, missed QPR shirt-pulling and leaving their feet in.

Two incidents in the first half stick out. The first was only 2 or 3 minutes in when Orr was man-handled in the box by Connolly. It looked a clear penalty from the Atyeo and the ref bottled it. I can't help thinking that Orr needed to be a bit more "cute" in that situation and hit the deck. I'm not saying he should have dived because there was enough tugging and shirt pulling from the QPR player for him to go down.

The second was the free kick taken on the right hand side of the box by McIndoe. The ref let the two QPR players stand and complain only a couple of yards from McIndoe whilst going over to sort out a scuffle in the box which as all eyes had been on McIndoe, the ref, assistants and fans had missed. Adebola had been tugged back and actually kicked by a defender. It just seemed really weak refereeing that he didn't force the QPR players to get back initially but then wasted some time sorting out the fracas in the box before going back to the QPR defenders to get them back.

He did improve in the second half although still made some strange decisions for both sides, Blackstock getting booked for placing the ball back for us sticks in the memory.

Yes, of course, the ref may have got or two things wrong but in the main he got most things right. The lad who got sent off showed dissent by throwing the ball at an opponent and he lunged in to a tackle. I would love to see some of you out there doing his job. I though he did well- so there!

Jesus Christ.

Are you being serious?

That was the worst refereeing I've seen since we were in the third level, 4 years ago, and where this sort of blatant home-bias and incompetence seems to be taken for granted.

But here's a thing. I was enjoying a pint with a Barnsley fan after we played them first game of the season. I mentioned that I thought the referee had had a good game, and his jaw dropped. He then proceeded to list all the things he'd 'done wrong', and as I listened to him, I realised that had I been on their side of the fence I'd probably have thought just the same.

Let's be honest -- as football fans who love our respective teams, we are almost incapable of seeing these things rationally. But even then, I thought he was very very poor. Just think of this -- would you call that a dirty game? To the credit of both teams I thought it was played in a great spirit with very little if any malice. Yet how many yellow cards were there? 6 or 7? Plus the red.

You may have heard the QPR fans singing "You're not fit to referee", and "You don't know what you're doing" and "Twelve men, you've only got twelve men", which I can tell you from personal experience is not something I hear that often, and certainly not sung that passionately.

I'm not being bitter, honestly. But if I were you I would surely be allowing myself a small smile and conceding that Mr Deadman was the classic "homer". When he booked Sproule for his dive late on, we were all convinced that he was whistling for a penalty. It would have been the obvious way to round off his performance.

I'm obviously glad we came away with a point, but didn't enjoy the experience much this time. I was too angry about the w6nker in the black.

Jesus Christ.

Are you being serious?

That was the worst refereeing I've seen since we were in the third level, 4 years ago, and where this sort of blatant home-bias and incompetence seems to be taken for granted.

But here's a thing. I was enjoying a pint with a Barnsley fan after we played them first game of the season. I mentioned that I thought the referee had had a good game, and his jaw dropped. He then proceeded to list all the things he'd 'done wrong', and as I listened to him, I realised that had I been on their side of the fence I'd probably have thought just the same.

Let's be honest -- as football fans who love our respective teams, we are almost incapable of seeing these things rationally. But even then, I thought he was very very poor. Just think of this -- would you call that a dirty game? To the credit of both teams I thought it was played in a great spirit with very little if any malice. Yet how many yellow cards were there? 6 or 7? Plus the red.

You may have heard the QPR fans singing "You're not fit to referee", and "You don't know what you're doing" and "Twelve men, you've only got twelve men", which I can tell you from personal experience is not something I hear that often, and certainly not sung that passionately.

I'm not being bitter, honestly. But if I were you I would surely be allowing myself a small smile and conceding that Mr Deadman was the classic "homer". When he booked Sproule for his dive late on, we were all convinced that he was whistling for a penalty. It would have been the obvious way to round off his performance.

I'm obviously glad we came away with a point, but didn't enjoy the experience much this time. I was too angry about the w6nker in the black.

Really?

We hear it quite often. Usually from fans of 'bigger' clubs who are miffed that little yokel Bristol City aren't rolling over for them.

The ref let the two QPR players stand and complain only a couple of yards from McIndoe whilst going over to sort out a scuffle in the box which as all eyes had been on McIndoe, the ref, assistants and fans had missed. Adebola had been tugged back and actually kicked by a defender. It just seemed really weak refereeing that he didn't force the QPR players to get back initially but then wasted some time sorting out the fracas in the box before going back to the QPR defenders to get them back.

And he got the wrong black man! Called two black players over and Adebola had to point out that it wasn't that black man, it was that black man.

He must have felt a tad uncomfortable....

Let's be honest -- as football fans who love our respective teams, we are almost incapable of seeing these things rationally.

I'll admit to yelling for decisions that in the back of my mind I know are wrong (not blatant dives, but those 50/50 handballs, tackles etc.) but that's all part of being the home crowd, isn't it?

But you're right, if one team thinks the ref had a good game the other team are bound to think he was awful.

The number of times when I officiated games and at the end one team would shake my hand and say "thanks for doing that for us today ref" whilst the others attempted to enthusiastically argue a decision that I made in the 25th minute (and sometimes try to do a runner without paying in protest) is testament to that!

Archived