IGNORED

Smart Move

Guest Red Cell

Guest Red Cell

Only 2 games in i know, but they don't seem to be getting people into the ground any quicker than before. They should have spent the money working out where they could squeeze in another half a dozen turnstiles.

As a youngster during the heady days of '76 - '80 i was at the gate with crowds of 25,000 plus, even one occasion when at home to Liverpool in about '77 when i think there were 38,000 down there - question is can anyone remember how we all got in in time for kick off, i don't remember queuing to be any worse then, as it is now with far fewer numbers

Only 2 games in i know, but they don't seem to be getting people into the ground any quicker than before. They should have spent the money working out where they could squeeze in another half a dozen turnstiles.

As a youngster during the heady days of '76 - '80 i was at the gate with crowds of 25,000 plus, even one occasion when at home to Liverpool in about '77 when i think there were 38,000 down there - question is can anyone remember how we all got in in time for kick off, i don't remember queuing to be any worse then, as it is now with far fewer numbers

i think people need to use a bit of common sense and try and turn up a tiny bit earlier. not stay in the pub until the very last minute and roll up at 2.58pm with everyone else expecting to walk straight in all for the sake of an extra 10 minutes drinking. thats the main problem IMO and the club cant be blamed for that. if you arrive at the ground for 2.45pm you will be in your seat well before kick off.

It's about more than just the turnstiles too, this is a big step for the club in terms of getting a proper view of who goes to what games, who buys what. That CRM stuff will help them target offers better and sort out priorities for tickets more fairly.

Hopefully when people get more used to it we can get rid of the actual turnstiles and just have one person overseeing three or four gates with scanners making it quicker to get in.

Oh so what about all the lazy people who used to hand their S/T booklet over to the turnstyle operator and let them tear the voucher out?

It's not much quicker, but it is noticable.. and it's a long term thing.. when we move to a new stadium (fingers crossed) we'll go the whole automated route and then we'll save money as well (less overheads)

Guest Red Cell
It's about more than just the turnstiles too, this is a big step for the club in terms of getting a proper view of who goes to what games, who buys what. That CRM stuff will help them target offers better and sort out priorities for tickets more fairly.

Hopefully when people get more used to it we can get rid of the actual turnstiles and just have one person overseeing three or four gates with scanners making it quicker to get in.

Smart cards are for season ticket holders only (aren't they?) I believe they knew who they were selling season tickets to before smart cards were introduced. If the smart cards are about improving the club's customer relationship marketing then are they smarter than we think? For instance can the smart cards detect their owner scratching his/her bum excessively, which will then trigger a joint-venture special offer through to the season ticket holder's email from the manufacturers of anusol, the haemorrhoid cream? If so great.

Smart cards are for season ticket holders only (aren't they?) I believe they knew who they were selling season tickets to before smart cards were introduced. If the smart cards are about improving the club's customer relationship marketing then are they smarter than we think? For instance can the smart cards detect their owner scratching his/her bum excessively, which will then trigger a joint-venture special offer through to the season ticket holder's email from the manufacturers of anusol, the haemorrhoid cream? If so great.

No. Smart cards are also for members. You can load games onto the card and enter the ground in the same way as season ticket holders.

They then allocate loyalty points to members each time they go to a game, which will help enormously with organising ticket priority for big games, should we need it.

Guest Red Cell
No. Smart cards are also for members. You can load games onto the card and enter the ground in the same way as season ticket holders.

They then allocate loyalty points to members each time they go to a game, which will help enormously with organising ticket priority for big games, should we need it.

Aahhh now i see. Smart move by the club - money well spent. Cheers for that.

What slows down access to the ground is the turnstyles themselves. They are pretty slow and often fans have to wait a few seconds for them to turn to allow you in. Add that few seconds up over a thousand or so fans and you have a lengthy delay hence the queues. A dose of WD40 on them might help speed things up.

I'm pretty sure that its the same actual turnstyles as last season. I'm guessing that with a likely move to the new stadium within 4-5 seasons that putting in new turnstyles would simply not be worth it.

Oh so what about all the lazy people who used to hand their S/T booklet over to the turnstyle operator and let them tear the voucher out?
I am pretty sure that the rules of the ST books actually stipulated that the turnstile operator should take the ticket out, so they were 'law abiding' rather than lazy.

Back it the days of 30k + crowds three quarters (approx) of us didn't have a reserved seat so we got there early to ensure we got a decent spot to stand in.

And ST's weren't available where I stood (The Eastend), and buying a ticket beforehand was rare too, big games only. It was pay AT the turnstile, operators had to handle cash and give change, all time consuming. We queued but it was never a huge problem as you say you got there early, chatted to your mates (no music blaring out of speakers).You got searched on the way in, unless you were female! That all takes time.

I haven't seen any delays using the new smart cards. I think the reason people leave it to enter at the last moment is largely due to having a last smoke outside, which of course was never a problem until recently.

i think people need to use a bit of common sense and try and turn up a tiny bit earlier. not stay in the pub until the very last minute and roll up at 2.58pm with everyone else expecting to walk straight in all for the sake of an extra 10 minutes drinking. thats the main problem IMO and the club cant be blamed for that. if you arrive at the ground for 2.45pm you will be in your seat well before kick off.

If there were queues at every turnstile at 2.58, then I would take your point. But when there is a huge queue for Atyeo turnstiles 1-4 and no-one at the other turnstiles, that seems a bit non-sensical to me. Especially when the stewards are as frustrated as the supporters are about it.

works fine for me...........

though, I don't like have to walk all the way to the other end of the Atyeo to go into that turnstyle, to then have to walk back when in the stadium......makes no sense

Totall agree. I emailed David Lloyd about this seeing as he's the fans liaison officer.

He basically said the club are refusing to allow us to enter in any other turnstyle apart from the allocated ones because the club are trying to load balance the number of people entering particular gates.

I since replied telling him that ST holders have used any turnstyle they've liked since 1995 (when the Atyeo was built) and there's never been a "load balancing" issue before.

I've yet to hear back from him on this! :-(

Just another example of the club pointlessly sticking to their guns without a proper explanation.

Back it the days of 30k + crowds three quarters (approx) of us didn't have a reserved seat so we got there early to ensure we got a decent spot to stand in.

I remember waiting to get in back in the good ol days... it's far quicker now.

"Spend an hour or two in the bloody gert queue to get in the ground and sing...."

How quickly people forget - to stand anywhere decent in the East End you had to be in by one o'clock and if you were in the queue later tham 2.30 you were lucky to get in before kick off. For the Liverpool game I remember on the way out there being such a crush my feet weren't touching the ground and I still made it to the exit !

Archived