IGNORED

Cole Skuse

MATT BCFC

I'm sorry but the criticism of LJ seems unfair to me as CS just doesnt seem to get any. My main question is what does he bring to the side? IMO he contributes nothing going forward no assists an no goals! He also doesnt seem to win many tackles either so I wouldnt describe him as a ball winner.

He seems to get away with poor uninspiring performances simply cos hes a local lad. Hes had his chance with Marv out an just hasnt taken it.

The midfield really needs to be accessed id say its the main reason we are not scoring as many goals as we should be. I have no other criticism of the side the defence an Basso are brilliant and we actually have some decent strikers who seem to be starved of service.

Its a shame cos we could have had the best midfield in the league with Marv an Carle. We need another creative midfielder we have Noble but he seems to be totally out of the frame.

I'm sorry but the criticism of LJ seems unfair to me as CS just doesnt seem to get any. My main question is what does he bring to the side? IMO he contributes nothing going forward no assists an no goals! He also doesnt seem to win many tackles either so I wouldnt describe him as a ball winner.

He seems to get away with poor uninspiring performances simply cos hes a local lad. Hes had his chance with Marv out an just hasnt taken it.

The midfield really needs to be accessed id say its the main reason we are not scoring as many goals as we should be. I have no other criticism of the side the defence an Basso are brilliant and we actually have some decent strikers who seem to be starved of service.

Its a shame cos we could have had the best midfield in the league with Marv an Carle. We need another creative midfielder we have Noble but he seems to be totally out of the frame.

Cole is a defensive player and doesn't really get involved in much of the attacking player, he knows this and leaves the attacking to players who can attack well, he's very well displined in staying back and isn't likely to be seen bombing forward out of position, he is MORE than adequate cover for Elliott, however is a totally different kind of player despite playing the same position.

Marv is a bloody and guts player who goes flying into tackles and is seen to be busy as he has a VERY high fitness/stamina level and is seen to constantly chasing and harassing and being well.

Skuse is similar however you won't see him sliding into and going through players, he will stand strong to the player and trying to disposes them, he's one of the quickest players at the club (obviously after Sproule) however goes about his job quietly and effitively. Personally speaking I feel he should have played more last season when Elliott was suffering for form after xmas, this season he's taken his chance well and put in a number of good performances.

The problem is his central midfield partner who should be attacking is constantly sitting back too and playing the simple balls when he should be further up the field trying to create goals.......which he doesn't.

It's easy to say lightweight when you compare him to all action Elliott who is very strong and makes so many tackles on the deck.

However, watch what he does off the ball - he closes down many avenues of attack without even having to make a challenge just by being in the right place. He also rarely loses the ball, plays simple passes and has better close control than most.

I'd like to see more from Skuse - particularly with respect to exerting influence over a game and making himself available to the defence - but I think he's a competent player.

It's easy to say lightweight when you compare him to all action Elliott who is very strong and makes so many tackles on the deck.

However, watch what he does off the ball - he closes down many avenues of attack without even having to make a challenge just by being in the right place. He also rarely loses the ball, plays simple passes and has better close control than most.

I'd like to see more from Skuse - particularly with respect to exerting influence over a game and making himself available to the defence - but I think he's a competent player.

Agreed.

Skuse is one of those players that managers like.He goes unnoticed by and large but goes about his job in a very steady and reliable way.He does nothing flash and rarely gives the ball away. He'll never let you down.What he lacks compared to Elliot is a goal threat.

I'd like to see Skuse get forward more.

I'd like to see Skuse get forward more.

I thuink everyone would but for whatever reason either through instruction or for himself he won't. He wants to sit and cut of attacks. LJ wants to sit and start attacks. It looks bad but we always have defensive cover...

Elliot and LJ make a better balance IMO

He brings:-

- good (safe) passing

- calm head

- tracking

- chasing players down

- not shy of a tackle (he may not be Tommy Doc but he's not poor)

- good positional sense

I remember Orient away New Years Day in our promotion season. LJ was having a stinker (though went on to score the equaliser) and misplaced a pass. They were about to go 2 on 1, Skuse sprinted 40 odd yards to catch up with his man and block the shot/pass. Typical Skuse - another player may have made a forward run, lost sight of their man or simply not bothered. Cole had not done any of these and saved a goal because of it.

Let us also remember he is only 22 - not much older than Maynard.

Final point, he's played for a better team at a higher level than most of our other academy prospects. Phillips, Doc, Coles etc. all had rave reviews at times but none of them have gone on to be (semi) regular started in a side just outside of the top flight.

I rate him highly defensively in his covering and tracking back, but statisically Elliott provides precisely twice as much as Skuse going forward which is missing at the moment, and Skuse lack of offensive highlights Lee Johnson's role further.

I agree with that. Marv's outstanding form last season definately paved over the cracks in centre mid and masked LJ's failings in the side for me.

Now Skuse is in, he goes about his business effectively but without that extra dynamism we're used to with Marv. All that serves to do is highlight LJ's deficiencies even more and let central midfield appear even more pedestrian.

2 wins, 3 draws and unbeaten, and yet our central midfield 'engine room' is berated by certain so-called fans. Skuse is perfectly adequate at this level, and allows the full-backs (And Carey on occasions) to move forward by covering at the back. I suspect that we will be very glad of his defensive qualities tomorrow.

Skuce is very good at what he does

ie look after the back four and keep it simple

Fans on here seem to quick to pick up on what players cant do,

instead of prasing them for what they can

skuce cant get forward

elliott cant play the killer pass

johnson cant /wont tackle

noble cant run or get around the park

With these four muppets in our midfield

how the hell did we finish 4th last season!!!

Lets start giving these guys abit of credit

ps Orr cant pass, McCombe to slow

the list goes on :whistle2:

2 wins, 3 draws and unbeaten, and yet our central midfield 'engine room' is berated by certain so-called fans. Skuse is perfectly adequate at this level, and allows the full-backs (And Carey on occasions) to move forward by covering at the back. I suspect that we will be very glad of his defensive qualities tomorrow.

You've got no right to call people 'so-called fans' just for expressing their opinion.

The midfield has been pedestrian this season, but that's largely due to Marvin's absence and the lack of dynamism from Lee Johnson, who never appears to get beyond the opposition back-four and can't score.

On the other hand, I think our solid start owes much to the emergence of Cole Skuse, who has been marvellous as a holding midfielder and this should give the lad confidence to find space in forward positions and shoot with conviction when given the opportunity.

our engine room that was unable to break down 10 man QPR, got beat by Crewe? and struggled against a VERY POOR Derby side. Skuse I have no problem with and goes about his defensive role VERY WELL, but surely his midfield partner should be playing a more attacking role.

The only positives people have picked out our exatly the same postivies you would give to Joe Burnell. Maybe I expect too much but I certainly like to see more than effort an side way an backwards passing from our players. I'm not a big fan of LJ either but atleast he tries to do something going forward.

Unbeaten start so all in all pleased just think we are struggling to break down teams, and without a doubt id put that down to the players currently playing centre midfield.

The only positives people have picked out our exatly the same postivies you would give to Joe Burnell. Maybe I expect too much but I certainly like to see more than effort an side way an backwards passing from our players. I'm not a big fan of LJ either but atleast he tries to do something going forward.

Unbeaten start so all in all pleased just think we are struggling to break down teams, and without a doubt id put that down to the players currently playing centre midfield.

Skuse isn't in the side for his creativity. As others have said, he's in the side as the defensive midfielder and he does that job very well even if it goes unnoticed by some on here.

The problem, as ever, lies with his partner and his reluctance to play in the final third and try to effect the game from there. I'm not turning this into another LJ bashing thread but I'm certain this also has hampered Maynard's chances as we have nobody who can play that killer through ball, especially with Noble seemingly out of favour.

I understand what you mean about LJ's passing in general, but who played a 'killer through ball' for Maynard against Cardiff, and he almost scored but for a good save? I think we do have people who can play that killer through ball its just how often they play it.

What the same killer ball that was disguised as a punt into the corner when Maynard appeared to get away with fouling the full-back before forcing a smart low save from their keeper? :whistle2:

our engine room that was unable to break down 10 man QPR, got beat by Crewe? and struggled against a VERY POOR Derby side. Skuse I have no problem with and goes about his defensive role VERY WELL, but surely his midfield partner should be playing a more attacking role.

Shows how far we have come, unhappy at drawing to a side who have spent big and a Derby team who allegedly spent last season preparing for life in the Championship. We don't have the cash to splash on big names, so we will have some limited players, but as we proved last year, 'Team' was the key.

Sorry, my earlier use of 'so-called fans' was un-necessary.

Shows how far we have come, unhappy at drawing to a side who have spent big and a Derby team who allegedly spent last season preparing for life in the Championship. We don't have the cash to splash on big names, so we will have some limited players, but as we proved last year, 'Team' was the key.

Sorry, my earlier use of 'so-called fans' was un-necessary.

QPR haven't spent big, they have alot of money, but haven't really spent it apart from a couple of loan signings who were both poor against us, as for Derby....they had just been beat at home by Donny and have only now just on their first game, in our game they were there for the taking.

You seem to be totally missing the point of my post, I'm not having a pop at skuse in the slighest.

If you were a centre half and had Cole Skuse playing in front of you, you would appreciate what he does. I'm guessing its the guys that have never played competitive football at any level that don't understand what he brings to the team and jump on his back because he doesn't score many games and take games by the scruff of the neck.

If you were a centre half and had Cole Skuse playing in front of you, you would appreciate what he does. I'm guessing its the guys that have never played competitive football at any level that don't understand what he brings to the team and jump on his back because he doesn't score many games and take games by the scruff of the neck.

Two questions:

1- How come many top teams don't have their 'creative' player sat just in front of them?

2- Could Cole Skuse compete with Lee Johnson for that link role?

I just think that we need someone further up the pitch - and also wonder why our back four can't bring it out a bit more.

Skuse is an excellent footballer, and as mentioned, he goes about his job very well and relatively un-noticed. An adequate replacement for Elliot so far.

The problem with a Skuse and LJ midfield partnership is that they are both too defensively minded. They are both reluctant to shoot when on sight of goal and will be lucky to get 5 goals between them all season. I would also not call either players as "playmakers" but more as "link" players. They are very good at keeping the ball moving but will very rarely create a moment of brilliance, a moment of flair, or a pass that splits defences.

If City want to play defensively, keep it tight, and try to knick goals through set pieces and on the break, then this partnership will work very well. We'll have a very low goals for column at the end of the season but we'll also have a very low goals against column at the end of the season as well.

IMO, if City have any real aspirations of another top six finish, a Skuse and LJ partnership will not get us there. For the time being, it its working,just, because they are both working hard but with no end product. They will ultimately get found out, and by relying solely on their defensive qualities will not win through in the end because good teams will over run our midfield and break our defense down. As a result, we wont have enough fire power and will not be able to score goals back.

Archived