IGNORED

Tonights First Half

The Humble Realist

TOnights second half performance was what we have become used to and we gave it a really good go but the only reason we didnt pick up a point was because of the first half

We seemed to play a formation where Adebola was on his own and Williams, Mcindoe and Maynard just played wherever buzzing around him. THis didnt work at all with Maynard more often than not tracking back to help out Mccalistar and Orr.

It also meant tht when our full backs picked the ball up there options were limited, they could only hit the ball long rather than wide (the system tht did us so well last year).

THis contributed for the 2nd goal where McCalistar passed to SKuse who then had no options...even so Skuse shouldnt have given the ball straight to McFadden who then went on a run and eventual Jerome goal.

SKuse was absolutly awful in the first half giving the ball away in absolute key positions 3 times ineffective tackling on other occasions. THis led to 1 goal and the sooner ELliot is back in the team the better. THis is no disrespect to SKuse but tonight it showed tht Elliot is at least twice the player. I don't buy the "Skuse quietly effective" argument and never have done, he needs to work on his strength and tackling.

THis was my first game of the season (at the game) due to me being on holiday for the first two. I saw the Derby game on sky on holiday and we didnt seem to be playing this floaty formation but did we employ it in the QPR home game and other away games?

I hate to be so negative but it just seemed so crazy in the first half, once Sporule came on and got some shape back we started causing Brum problems. Adebola gave the problems all night in the air.

The first half formaiton also made Maynard look useless(which I'm sure he isnt) as he was forced to play in a role tht he probably has never played before!

Does anyone else agree with this?

We were playing a 4-4-2 but missing McIndoe (who had conveniently decided to go wondering about) before others picked up on the lack of space and tried to fix it. As I posted in the other thread, I would be hugely surprised if McIndoe was instructed to drift inside or play on the right wing, given his total lack of a right foot.

[sKuse was absolutly awful in the first half giving the ball away in absolute key positions 3 times ineffective tackling on other occasions. THis led to 1 goal and the sooner ELliot is back in the team the better. THis is no disrespect to SKuse but tonight it showed tht Elliot is at least twice the player. I don't buy the "Skuse quietly effective" argument and never have done, he needs to work on his strength and tackling.Does anyone else agree with this?]

You hit the nail on the head with Skuse, the things that he is actually meant to be in the team for ie breaking up the play and getting his foot on the way he is very poor at, a sort of poor man's Joe Burnell :disapointed2se:

We were playing a 4-4-2 but missing McIndoe (who had conveniently decided to go wondering about) before others picked up on the lack of space and tried to fix it. As I posted in the other thread, I would be hugely surprised if McIndoe was instructed to drift inside or play on the right wing, given his total lack of a right foot.

You clearly have no idea of tactical awareness fella. The side that took the field for the first 30 mins lined up strictly like this...

----------------Basso------------------------

Orr-------Carey-------Fontaine--------McAllister

----------------Skuse-------------------------------

--------Johnson------Williams-------------------

McIndoe------------------------------Maynard

---------------Adebola--------------------------

You clearly have no idea of tactical awareness fella. The side that took the field for the first 30 mins lined up strictly like this...

yeah it was the formation - and Johnson got it totally wrong tonight!

Well done mate - and you think this is the line up to play against ex Premier League opposition ?

FYI - McIndoe started on the left and after wondering - the whole team were all over the place.

ie - no tactical awareness

Go away.

Well done mate - and you think this is the line up to play against ex Premier League opposition ?

FYI - McIndoe started on the left and after wondering - the whole team were all over the place.

ie - no tactical awareness

Go away.

Maynard was clearly on the left and McIndoe was clearly on the right!

Sorry Mr McIndoe#11, but Tin is spot on. The above formation was what was employed and clearly they were GJ's instructions.

MM had a fantastic season at Left Wing last year, and I see no reason to take this threat away from the team. We were so predictable, and played right into Brum's hands. Carsley is probaly the best midfielder in this league this year and we tried to play through him, and he just lapped it up all 1st half in there. Why were we playing to their strengths, and not our own??

THis is my point, Maynard, WIlliams and Mcindoe seemed to be playing all over the place. Mcindoe should be on the left , Williams on the right and Maynard upfront, it really wasnt rocket science. I think GJ made a gamble and it didnt pay off, but we have learnt now. This aint a post saying GJ is awful(i believe in him 1000% and hes been brilliant), I'm just saying tonight we got it wrong and...individual mistakes cost us, i think Williams commited the needless foul for the first goal and then Skuse the 2nd

nope

maynard was on the left from the point we conceded.

mccindoe spent less than 5 minutes on the left hand side for the first 45

he was shocking

poor tactics, poor performance (first half)..... introduction of WINGER = dominate proceedings for a half look dangerous tec

I'm confused why you had to say go away tbh, makes you look such a tool. its a forum for airing opinion and all that jazz. most people who watch football understand when a player plays running up and down the left hand side of the pitch he is on the left wing!!!! so take a bit more notice of the game bud :)

I don't understand why Johnson would want to play McIndoe on the right and Maynard on the left... it makes no sense at all. Who convinced him that that would be a good idea... really?

nope

maynard was on the left from the point we conceded.

mccindoe spent less than 5 minutes on the left hand side for the first 45

he was shocking

poor tactics, poor performance (first half)..... introduction of WINGER = dominate proceedings for a half look dangerous tec

I'm confused why you had to say go away tbh, makes you look such a tool. its a forum for airing opinion and all that jazz. most people who watch football understand when a player plays running up and down the left hand side of the pitch he is on the left wing!!!! so take a bit more notice of the game bud :)

Take a look at the original post BUD !

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=105728

look, i don't know why your getting so lairy so I'm not going to trade petty little digs with you because despite being plenty years your junior, i cant be bothered with hiding behind a keyboard like I'm some hard nut

i agreed with what you put in that thread! i didnt agree with your disagreement with Tin as he was completely right. we played with maynard on the left.

either you were disilussioned at the game or you misread his post. i have no idea. but my only gripe with you was that i disagreed with you over mr maynard

you've been supporting city longer than i have been a thought in my dads mind! act like it ;)

[sKuse was absolutly awful in the first half giving the ball away in absolute key positions 3 times ineffective tackling on other occasions. THis led to 1 goal and the sooner ELliot is back in the team the better. THis is no disrespect to SKuse but tonight it showed tht Elliot is at least twice the player. I don't buy the "Skuse quietly effective" argument and never have done, he needs to work on his strength and tackling.Does anyone else agree with this?]

You hit the nail on the head with Skuse, the things that he is actually meant to be in the team for ie breaking up the play and getting his foot on the way he is very poor at, a sort of poor man's Joe Burnell :disapointed2se:

I don't think Skuse was that awful but like a few others in the first half he didn't shine that is for sure. for the second goal I blame him having no one to pass to on the left wing because he got trapped.

On paper they have a better team.

On the day they had the better team.

Simple as that.

The way those Brummies outclassed us in the first half hour I thought they were going to win 0-8 or some other ridiculous scoreline. Credit to Gary Johnson in giving our team what must have been a grenade at half-time as in the second half we could have won the game had all those chances been converted.

I don't think Skuse was that awful but like a few others in the first half he didn't shine that is for sure. for the second goal I blame him having no one to pass to on the left wing because he got trapped.

Well this is what i was trying to say, with maynard, williams and mcindoe playing almost anywhere they laid their hat there was no width, McCalistar constantly had this problem and normally long balls were what the outcome was.

However, it was still very poor of Skuse to give it away as he did, u cant just pass the ball backwards straight to a player like Mcfadden, anything was better than what he did and i respect your opinion but personally i thought SKuse was our poorest player in the first half

look, i don't know why your getting so lairy so I'm not going to trade petty little digs with you because despite being plenty years your junior, i cant be bothered with hiding behind a keyboard like I'm some hard nut

i agreed with what you put in that thread! i didnt agree with your disagreement with Tin as he was completely right. we played with maynard on the left.

either you were disilussioned at the game or you misread his post. i have no idea. but my only gripe with you was that i disagreed with you over mr maynard

you've been supporting city longer than i have been a thought in my dads mind! act like it ;)

I'm quite chilled in all fairness. Not lairy whatsover by the way - too old for that now Bud - ask the old man.

It really doesnt matter whether you thought or I thought that NM or MM started on the left - the fact is their was no real tactics or formation in the first half. It showed. We had no shape - organisation and everyone in midfield had no idea what they were doing. Poor old Dele must have been in disbelief what was happening in front of him (or behind him depending on how you look at it !)

Chill out. I don't really think anyone really knows the starting formation tactics apart from Gar who got it wrong in the 1st half.

The set-up in the 2nd half was what OLD city fans are used to (and younger fans like yourself) - and it certainly worked alot better.

Lets hope for 3 points and a more attacking and positive attitude against Doncaster !

:) see doesnt that feel better just talking away :)

first half we can all agree on was gash, tactically it was as bad as GJ has got it wrong in a while. but we can hope and pray Marv is back soon as he makes us tick, his energy is what makes city who they are in this division.

wounded cat against DonnyDonnyDonnyDonny!!!!!! ??? i bloomin hope so :D

Maynard looked the same to me, a passenger.

:disapointed2se:

How these performances keep Trundle and Brooker benched is beyond me...

I don't think anyone young (or older) would disagree mate - he needs to get more involved.

I suppose we should give him time ? Maybe ? But for 2.25 million, you expect more and we have only had one very simple tap in so far! - Not exactly 2.25 million is it ?

Tomo

first half we can all agree on was gash, tactically it was as bad as GJ has got it wrong in a while. but we can hope and pray Marv is back soon as he makes us tick, his energy is what makes city who they are in this division.

wounded cat against DonnyDonnyDonnyDonny!!!!!! ??? i bloomin hope so :D

Well done as your old man would say !

With regards to Marv - lets hope for at least a place on the bench !

why did it take us until half time to realise long balls from 40 yards to Maynard don't work when up against Taylor and Ridgewell! Saw GJ having a go at Maynard telling him to get behind them but he had no chance getting on the end of long high balls, he needs balls behind lumps like them on the floor not always aimed at dele so he can flick them on hoping to find someone else, we have to play to his strengths if were going to get our moneys worth imo

why did it take us until half time to realise long balls from 40 yards to Maynard don't work when up against Taylor and Ridgewell! Saw GJ having a go at Maynard telling him to get behind them but he had no chance getting on the end of long high balls, he needs balls behind lumps like them on the floor not always aimed at dele so he can flick them on hoping to find someone else, we have to play to his strengths if were going to get our moneys worth imo

A friend of mine who we met at the pub after the game also saw the same reaction from Gary - giving Maynard a few words and alot of hand signals to make things happen. As you said we didnt gave him the best possible service but he also has to get stronger and adapt to the games that are going to be very tight against classy opposition, like Birmingham.

Agreed - long balls pumped up is not the answer considering that Brum were very physical and had monsters in central defence !

Onwards and upwards for Saturday !

If i was Nicky Maynard i would seriously be questioning my decision right now.

I`ve left Crewe and Mr Gradi where my strengths are known and played to.

I`ve played a handful of games here where i`ve been played out of position, where any advantage i may have in pace is negated by the laborious attacking play or i`m expected to get on the end of random balls lumped forward as a last resort.

To cap it all off it seems i`ve already had a `Maynard is useless, what a waste of money` campaign started against me.

Thankfully i`m not. Pretty sure the real Nicky Maynard will just be more determined to get the goals and will regard the comments with the disdain they deserve.

PDG

If i was Nicky Maynard i would seriously be questioning my decision right now.

I`ve left Crewe and Mr Gradi where my strengths are known and played to.

I`ve played a handful of games here where i`ve been played out of position, where any advantage i may have in pace is negated by the laborious attacking play or i`m expected to get on the end of random balls lumped forward as a last resort.

To cap it all off it seems i`ve already had a `Maynard is useless, what a waste of money` campaign started against me.

Thankfully i`m not. Pretty sure the real Nicky Maynard will just be more determined to get the goals and will regard the comments with the disdain they deserve.

PDG

Wheres the campaign?

Its people giving their opinions, that is allowed isnt it?

Archived