IGNORED

The Adebola Factor

headhunter

When we were promoted, and for almost two thirds of last season, most people would have referred to us as a "good footballing side".

Whilst Adebola's goal scoring record since his arrival is [almost] a respectable 1 in 3 there is no denying the fact that we have significantly altered our style of play. I have to say that last night he did OK and caused Birmingham a few problems but perhaps the gap between the two sides can be seen in the fact that Dele was with Birmingham ten years ago when he was in his early 20's, we have him now when he is clearly past his best.

Brum's current Dele was the hugely impressive Cameron Jerome whom, I'm told by Bristol Boy, cost around £3m from Cardiff City so for that money he should be good. But hang on we've paid not far short of that sum for Nick Maynard who on current form and general level of involvement in the play makes him appear like Jennison Myrie-Willams on a bad day!!

This is not a smipe at Maynard because I really don't think we are playing to his strengths. It's all about service and playing balls to feet. Did the Johnson brothers view all of Maynard's goals and look at how he scored them or just think he's good for 20 goals let's sign him? I'd question whether this is why Trundle has had problems too. I think even Thierry Henry or Kevin Phillips would struggle with the sort of service our frontmen get.

So back to the point of this post, the Adebola factor. With a gross lack of creativity in midfield we are taking the whoosh option of hitting the high ball to him in the hope of someone being there to pick up the pieces from his aerial challenge. That person does not appear as if it going to be Maynard. Whilst you can take a punt on one for the future at £140k [Akinde] , with our scarce resources a £2.25m 'punt' that looks likely to be going wrong is a disaster. Mr.Lansdown has given GJ over £3m [Trundle & Maynard] to solve a goalscoring problem that still exists - he must surely by now be asking himself if it has been money well spent.

By the way, the best ball last night along the ground was played by Lee Johnson [i'm his biggest critic but I thought he was OK , Skuse was dreadful] when he knocked it inside the left back for Sproule to run on to - MORE OF THIS PLEASE!!!

When we were promoted, and for almost two thirds of last season, most people would have referred to us as a "good footballing side".

Whilst Adebola's goal scoring record since his arrival is [almost] a respectable 1 in 3 there is no denying the fact that we have significantly altered our style of play. I have to say that last night he did OK and caused Birmingham a few problems but perhaps the gap between the two sides can be seen in the fact that Dele was with Birmingham ten years ago when he was in his early 20's, we have him now when he is clearly past his best.

Brum's current Dele was the hugely impressive Cameron Jerome whom, I'm told by Bristol Boy, cost around £3m from Cardiff City so for that money he should be good. But hang on we've paid not far short of that sum for Nick Maynard who on current form and general level of involvement in the play makes him appear like Jennison Myrie-Willams on a bad day!!

This is not a smipe at Maynard because I really don't think we are playing to his strengths. It's all about service and playing balls to feet. Did the Johnson brothers view all of Maynard's goals and look at how he scored them or just think he's good for 20 goals let's sign him? I'd question whether this is why Trundle has had problems too. I think even Thierry Henry or Kevin Phillips would struggle with the sort of service our frontmen get.

So back to the point of this post, the Adebola factor. With a gross lack of creativity in midfield we are taking the whoosh option of hitting the high ball to him in the hope of someone being there to pick up the pieces from his aerial challenge. That person does not appear as if it going to be Maynard. Whilst you can take a punt on one for the future at £140k [Akinde] , with our scarce resources a £2.25m 'punt' that looks likely to be going wrong is a disaster. Mr.Lansdown has given GJ over £3m [Trundle & Maynard] to solve a goalscoring problem that still exists - he must surely by now be asking himself if it has been money well spent.

By the way, the best ball last night along the ground was played by Lee Johnson [i'm his biggest critic but I thought he was OK , Skuse was dreadful] when he knocked it inside the left back for Sproule to run on to - MORE OF THIS PLEASE!!!

Before Dele we still hit the long ball, only it was up to Trundle or Showunmi and it came straight back at us. We still have no real pace up front and you really can't play balls along the ground with no real pace up top. I was gutted that Mifsud/agents turned out to be a joker as he would have added massively to the long ball but also provided a threat behind.

And while Jerome contributes..he does also have a team full of international multi million pound players around him. Maynard doesn't, Adebola doesn't. Brum have a better team than we do and better player make the other players look better.

Do you seriously think that GJ signed Maynard off the cuff and just looked at his goal record and totally ignored his style of play? Really?

I don't think SL is questioning GJ and the money he's spent in the slightest. We're what 7th after 6 games in our second season at championship level. Hands up who wouldn't have taken that position once we got promoted? We need to make some more "quality" signings to truly compete for automatic promotion, and i hope we have the resources/desire to do so.

I don't think Henry or Phillips would struggle to get goals in our team to be honest. Maynard's come close in nearly every game and missed a few sitters which at other times would go in. Did you not see his shot against the bar at Cardiff? That was quality. If you think Skuse was dreadful then I can see why I would disagree with a lot of your other points. Skuse was great last night and constantly closed Birmingham down for the whole 90 minutes (which is one of the reasons why we had so much possession. As for Adebola, I think he's been brilliant since being here although I will admit we do seem to play it a little longer to him. Which I think is ok at times but not constantly like we seemed to against Brum.

Agree with points re Adebola - Would like to see Brooker given a go - always looks more lively, links play better, more movement and more likely to turn his man.

Agree with points re Adebola - Would like to see Brooker given a go - always looks more lively, links play better, more movement and more likely to turn his man.

Everyone seems to be forgetting that we must have had about 10 free kicks around the birmingham penalty area in dangerous positions last night, who won most of them... Dele Adebola. He was involved in nearly all of our better attacking plays and is in most matches. I cant believe people don't see what he puts in to each game. I would say he is always there or there abouts for our man of the match every game. He wins countless balls in the air, is always chasing out to the corners to link wide men up with the ball and generally causes most problems around opposition penalty areas, oh and he actually returns a decent strike rate over the course of a season. I mean what does he have to do to get the kind of praise he deserves from people???

sorry he's injured, again. Can't base a team around a guy who can't stay fit.

He's had a few minor injuries, but he's been generally fit.

Everyone seems to be forgetting that we must have had about 10 free kicks around the birmingham penalty area in dangerous positions last night, who won most of them... Dele Adebola. He was involved in nearly all of our better attacking plays and is in most matches. I cant believe people don't see what he puts in to each game. I would say he is always there or there abouts for our man of the match every game. He wins countless balls in the air, is always chasing out to the corners to link wide men up with the ball and generally causes most problems around opposition penalty areas, oh and he actually returns a decent strike rate over the course of a season. I mean what does he have to do to get the kind of praise he deserves from people???

I've read time and time again that Adebola played awesome this season - but i cant say i agree. He wins his fair share in the air, but he's not doing enough otherwise. For example he rarely turns or out mucles his man (unlike last season) and his movement off the ball is non existent - All things brooker does well - although he is not as strong as dele, he is a able target man - not that I think we need one.

If you think Skuse was dreadful then I can see why I would disagree with a lot of your other points. Skuse was great last night and constantly closed Birmingham down for the whole 90 minutes (which is one of the reasons why we had so much possession.

I think you were at a different game

Closing down all game?? He, like the rest of the team had a much improved 2nd half but i recall 2 tackles from him all game. He backed off constantly except for the first 5 minutes of the second half.

I know i seem to have it in for him and think he can do no right, which would be fair to say. But most people seem to think he can do no wrong and don't see his flaws. In fact people often see his flaws as his strengths.

In a similar was to when people try to tell me that Lee Evans is funny. Can someone please exlain what they see in him that i don't, because i just don't get it. (Advice on either Lee or Cole would be much apprectiated)

Personally I think that Maynard/Adebola is a combo with a lot of potential.

However, I do think it is missing something, and that is actually an agressive, ball-carrying central midfielder who will work the opposition's defensive midfielder backwards and draw the centrebacks forward, generating space. Be this Elliott or Williams being played in the centre or even a youngster like Artus, someone needs to take the ball forward more.

When on the attack last night Skuse (who was playing infront of Johnson in the midfield) did not consistantly either drag his marker toward their back line or operate further enough forward to draw one of the Birmingham centrebacks forward, thus generating the space for Maynard to operate in. He allowed himself to be 'deflected' backwards, forcing the long ball.

A midfielder going into the space in 'the hole' means Dele can then go man-to-man with his marker, leaving more oppitunities for a player of Maynard's type to abuse the confusion and also for wing players like McIndoe and Williams/Sproule to probe the full back positions better.

Instead Birmingham were able to place one man on each of Dele and Maynard, hold them in place and let Carsley deal with Skuse. Skuse is a hard working and honest pro, but he does not have the same dynamic streak that Elliott offers or the agressive, direct running that Williams seems to want to try when in that position.

If someone is coming forward from the midfield like this it requires a great amount discipline from a defensive unit not to be drawn into defending a player who is meant to be the midfields responsiblity. This can lead to centrebacks or fullbacks committing themselves to defending that person, thus generating openings in their original area of responsibility.

I fully believe this will be what GJ wants to see happen but is struggling, as he has no one of the quality of Elliot to complete his attacking 'concept'.

I realise this sounds good on paper (and is a stupidly long post, sorry) and doesn't always take into account the oppositions countering the situation, but how many times last night did you see the Skuse recive possession in the centre and take the ball to the opposition in this fashion? None is about the number I saw. If he had we might have shaken up the Birmingham defensive unit a bit more and avoided 'hoofing' it at every oppitunity.

Personally I think that Maynard/Adebola is a combo with a lot of potential.

However, I do think it is missing something, and that is actually an agressive, ball-carrying central midfielder who will work the opposition's defensive midfielder backwards and draw the centrebacks forward, generating space. Be this Elliott or Williams being played in the centre or even a youngster like Artus, someone needs to take the ball forward more.

When on the attack last night Skuse (who was playing infront of Johnson in the midfield) did not consistantly either drag his marker toward their back line or operate further enough forward to draw one of the Birmingham centrebacks forward, thus generating the space for Maynard to operate in. He allowed himself to be 'deflected' backwards, forcing the long ball.

A midfielder going into the space in 'the hole' means Dele can then go man-to-man with his marker, leaving more oppitunities for a player of Maynard's type to abuse the confusion and also for wing players like McIndoe and Williams/Sproule to probe the full back positions better.

Instead Birmingham were able to place one man on each of Dele and Maynard, hold them in place and let Carsley deal with Skuse. Skuse is a hard working and honest pro, but he does not have the same dynamic streak that Elliott offers or the agressive, direct running that Williams seems to want to try when in that position.

If someone is coming forward from the midfield like this it requires a great amount discipline from a defensive unit not to be drawn into defending a player who is meant to be the midfields responsiblity. This can lead to centrebacks or fullbacks committing themselves to defending that person, thus generating openings in their original area of responsibility.

I fully believe this will be what GJ wants to see happen but is struggling, as he has no one of the quality of Elliot to complete his attacking 'concept'.

I realise this sounds good on paper (and is a stupidly long post, sorry) and doesn't always take into account the oppositions countering the situation, but how many times last night did you see the Skuse recive possession in the centre and take the ball to the opposition in this fashion? None is about the number I saw. If he had we might have shaken up the Birmingham defensive unit a bit more and avoided 'hoofing' it at every oppitunity.

Good post. Agree with all of that, although I would like to see Brooker (when he is fit) alongside Maynard

in my opinion take my head off if you want be adebola is passed it, everytime the ball comes to him his touch really lets him down and you cant afford to have a crap touch if your a target man and also he cant jump for his life so defenders have a field day against him, tme to give brooker a proper chance one feels and that dosent mean just off the bench, i mean a start !

Guest wheres your caravan??
in my opinion take my head off if you want be adebola is passed it, everytime the ball comes to him his touch really lets him down and you cant afford to have a crap touch if your a target man and also he cant jump for his life so defenders have a field day against him, tme to give brooker a proper chance one feels and that dosent mean just off the bench, i mean a start !

GIVE THIS MAN A MEDAL

THIS IS THE BEST POST IV SEEN I AGREE WITH EVERY THING HES SAID

GODD MAN

AND IMO I THINK MAYNARD JUST CNT HACK IT AT THIS LEVEL TBH

What you say about Dele is true, however we didn't play with the fluency that Birmingham did, we didn't pass the ball to feet as well as they did and at the end of the day, they got the goals! This is what we should look to do and link play is the way to do it. In my opinion Trundle up front with either some strength (Brooker when fit) or pace to play onto (Maynard) is a better combination. It means football, two strikers linking and some creativity with the odd bit of brilliance supported of course with a well linked midfield.

What you say about Dele is true, however we didn't play with the fluency that Birmingham did, we didn't pass the ball to feet as well as they did and at the end of the day, they got the goals! This is what we should look to do and link play is the way to do it. In my opinion Trundle up front with either some strength (Brooker when fit) or pace to play onto (Maynard) is a better combination. It means football, two strikers linking and some creativity with the odd bit of brilliance supported of course with a well linked midfield.

But the point in all of this is we don't have a creative midfielder to link up the play with trundle/maynard or brooker. We didnt play with the same fluency as brum because they were far superior in all departments than us. Only reason we looked good second half is because brum relised we didnt have 2 goals in us so basically were happy with the 2-0 lead. I aggree if we did have some creativity then trying different combinations would be the way to go but we don't. Adebola has been our best player this season in my opinion and is always an attacking influence be it winning free kicks or holding up the ball, linking play with wide men( when they play wide) and scoring goals. Brooker can never be relied on for a consistent amount of games so working our teams tactics around someone like him wouldnt work. Trundle would have been lost in the first half yesterday and everybody would have been slating him, in the end he came on when we were in the acendency and managed a good goal. He isnt going to play for 90 minutes at the same level as he did for 20 yesterday. Maynard just wont score goals without creativity and wide play. Its not his fault he isnt delivered the correct service. Knocking up high balls to him wont work and nor will it work for him when he has to drop into midfield to get the ball 50 yards from goal.

Archived