IGNORED

Decision Making

petehinton

Looking back on it the whole 'GJ player' thing has cost us.

Yes Meteb did wrong and played in that game instead of watched

But can't you just let it pass?

Maynard hasn't impressed me at all yet

Was meant to be a 'pacey' striker

To me he looks as fast as Skuse.

He is also the most lightweight player on the pitch!

Gj may need to have to do whats best for the club and not for the dressing room

I for one was excited by the Meteb signing as he looked the part, and was deflated when the deal was cancelled

Lita is another, yeah maybe we didn't have anything to do with him in the summer but he has been proclaimed as a non Gj player because of his attitude

But i would much rather have a player that will bang in the goals and get us promoted and have the biggest ego on the planet

Then have a perfect boy and score 5 or 6

Out of the blue and yeah pretty pointless post but been thinking it for a while.

What have you seen of Meteb to suggest he's any better than Maynard then?

How can what's good for the dressing room be in any way detrimental to the club?

How many goals has Leroy Lita got this season? I think you'll find it's two fewer than Maynard.

I think we all wish that we had a player who scored in every single game, but there's no point in pretending that someone else would be better just because Maynard hasn't done it yet.

There is no guarantee that Meteb would be banging in the goals in this league. It is hard to compare standards in other countries with this country. Trundle and Maynard have both been prolific at other clubs. Maynard has bagged two this season in eight games and even at that rate will be better than our highest scorer last year and there is still a chance he will improve. We have had a tough fixture list to start the season so no need to despair yet.

I for one was excited by the Meteb signing as he looked the part, and was deflated when the deal was cancelled

Lita is another, yeah maybe we didn't have anything to do with him in the summer but he has been proclaimed as a non Gj player because of his attitude

But i would much rather have a player that will bang in the goals and get us promoted and have the biggest ego on the planet

Out of the blue and yeah pretty pointless post but been thinking it for a while.

I know someone else has said it, however.....if according to you Maynard is as fast as Skuse......then Maynard is then obviously very fast, because after Sproule, Skuse is the quickest player at the club.

As for Meteb...it's been well discussed and personally looking at the whole picture.....it wasn't just that game he played in, that was just the final straw, between the problems of him going on Ramadam mid-season and wanting to go home mid-season because his wedding was already planned basically he showed a complete and utter lack of committment in actually wanting to join City,

I think Meteb's situation is summed up by the amount of other European clubs who showed an interest in him after our deal fell through... No One in Europe is interested in signing him apart from Agent talk....hence why he's ended up playing in Saudi Arabia

it does not matter if you got pele or michael owen upfront if the service is poor from midfield they won't score!

the distribution of the ball needs to be what maynard wants or he will run around like a headless chicken,

it's all about service with nicky and a example was in the first half vs donny with bradley orr was out wide and maynard

shouted even pointing to the floor as he made a run shouting at bradley orr to lay the ball on the deck for him to run on to, so what did orr do? he sky rocket the ball the far post over the bar that even adebola would need a step ladder to reach it

and all maynard wanted was it laid on the deck near post behind the defender, it's service he needs not stick from the fans.

perhaps when gj purchased nicky maynard then he should have did a double swoop and got the lad in midfield who

set 80% of his goals up at crewe.

sorry folks but the midfield and wide distribution needs to improve when going foward.

With all due respect Pete your countless other posts of ludacris rubbish has quite clrealy shown you have very little knowledege of the game. This is but another example of the above, i don't know have many times it has been said Maynard needs time and he will come good. I can understand your frustrations in regard to Maynard as he has not lived up to his hype but i knew he wouldnt be an instant hit, the key with him is time and he has potential to be an exccellent player.

What baffles me more about your post is the whole Metab thing, you say he ''looked the part'' i don't quite understand what you mean by this. Maynard has come through argubaly the best academy outside of the prem and if you look at Crewes other graduates you would see what i mean Dean ashton Luke Varney etc etc. Meteab was playing in a poor Egyptian league and there is no evidence to prove he would have been better than Maynard.

I know you are young but could you please think before you post :disapointed2se:

Because of a few YouTube videos ?

With all due respect Pete your countless other posts of ludacris rubbish has quite clrealy shown you have very little knowledege of the game. This is but another example of the above,

I know you are young but could you please think before you post :disapointed2se:

i agree but think its quite funny you should say that really

scrap adebola ring any bells?

think before you judge when your last notable topic was one containing twice as much gash as this one

think before you judge when your last notable topic was one containing twice as much gash as this one

Yes, totally agree.

Bashing players like Maynard/Adebola/Johnson is unbelievable!!! It shows the provincial underbelly of fans we've always had...fans who either don't understand the game, haven't seen this club on its uppers or have very short memories.

We could only have dreamt of players like Adebola and Maynard a few short years ago...when instead we were treated to the likes of Peter Beadle and Lee Peacock.

FFS we are 6th in the second tier of english football and thats after a slow start!!!!...Not long ago, we would dream of a group of players and a league position like this!

I sometimes wish the spoilt little moaners could have a little taste of perennial lower league slow starts /average gaffers /poor crowds / shit players and under achievement that was the norm at this club since I could really remember....and I'm 34!!!!

I am still honeymooning over were we are at, even if there are loads who are too spoilt already to appreciate it

thats exactly it, i still have nightmares about our last visit to this league. benni, pubis, the wilson substitutions, tinman etc

this is basically the best ive ever had it as a fan, twice what it was under wardy, but its never going to be enough for some fans who need to moan to ensure they have something to do.

I'm not saying its wrong to question aspects of the team/ management. god forbid. but sometimes fans should take a step back and consider all aspects, considering the shambles this club has been in the davidson era and laycock the prgress we have made under GJ and Lansdown is blooming remarkable. GJ signed a 5 year contract this week, showing that the management know this club is STILL work in progress, despite some fans demanding we get immediate success,

it makes you wonder if it would have been better if we hadnt done so well last year, all this elevated expectations are starting to get ridiculous, confidence is one thing but some comments are absurd

Yes, totally agree.

Bashing players like Maynard/Adebola/Johnson is unbelievable!!! It shows the provincial underbelly of fans we've always had...fans who either don't understand the game, haven't seen this club on its uppers or have very short memories.

We could only have dreamt of players like Adebola and Maynard a few short years ago...when instead we were treated to the likes of Peter Beadle and Lee Peacock.

FFS we are 6th in the second tier of english football and thats after a slow start!!!!...Not long ago, we would dream of a group of players and a league position like this!

I sometimes wish the spoilt little moaners could have a little taste of perennial lower league slow starts /average gaffers /poor crowds / shit players and under achievement that was the norm at this club since I could really remember....and I'm 34!!!!

I am still honeymooning over were we are at, even if there are loads who are too spoilt already to appreciate it

totally agree, 43. I have seen the best and the worst in my life time(city) and I think we have the best non names squad ever and no matter where we end up we are far better off than 6 years ago

Look Maynard was a panic buy that's transparently obvious.

Meteb (£1.5 million) fell through because he did wrong.

Mifsud (£1 million) fell through because he was an ar*e

Without a new striker we wouldn't have the bite to compete again at this level with the likes of Birmingham, Derby and Wolves - Gary knew that.

Without a new striker there would be an endless amount of threads, replies and demands on this forum saying where is our new striker or something onlong those lines.

So in comes Nicky Maynard who I personally think is a good player but at £2.25 million we wavered to crewes demands because we didn't sign Meteb or Mifsud.

GJ made the right decision. He has built a squad where they get along and that encourages the lads to work hard for each other.

One arrogant selfish player would disrupt the whole squad meaning any positive they bring in skill will still be a bigger negative to the overall morale of the squad.

GJ knows what hes doing and had he not got us an inch away from the Prem last season I don't think any fans would be getting on his back about the decisions he's made.

I would also like to point out Alex Ferguson was the manager of Manchester United for four years before they had any success.

Also want to add a few quotes:

"Ferguson was initially worried that many of the players, such as Norman Whiteside, Paul McGrath and Bryan Robson were drinking too much and was "depressed" by their level of fitness, but he managed to increase the players' discipline and United climbed up the table to finish the season in 11th place."

"In the 1987-88 season, Ferguson made several major signings, including Steve Bruce, Viv Anderson, Brian McClair and Jim Leighton. The new players made a great contribution to a United team who finished in second place, nine points behind Liverpool."

I see alot of similarities between Alex Fergusons past with Manchester United as GJ's start with us and I have ALOT of faith that within a few seasons we will either be cemented as a good championship team or even a Premier League team. That said it will only happen if he stays with us and having alot of negativity from fans will not help him stay.

Meteb (£1.5 million) fell through because he did wrong.

Mifsud (£1 million) fell through because he was an ar*e

Without a new striker we wouldn't have the bite to compete again at this level with the likes of Birmingham, Derby and Wolves - Gary knew that.

Without a new striker there would be an endless amount of threads, replies and demands on this forum saying where is our new striker or something onlong those lines.

So in comes Nicky Maynard who I personally think is a good player but at £2.25 million we wavered to crewes demands because we didn't sign Meteb or Mifsud.

I don't beleive GJ would "panic buy". Yes he knew we needed a striker but I also think that he wouldn't waste £2.25 mill on a striker he didn't want.

I beleive that after Meteb messed GJ about he thought about whether he wanted a player that would go against his wishes and decided he didn't and with Mifsud i think he met the player for talks and probably thought he would not fit in.

I think GJ would rather we struggled for a bit of the season and got the right players in the end to give us a real shot at promotion than care about fans whining because we don't have a new striker to get excited about. I mean he knows full well if he brings in a striker who doesnt do very well that fans will get on his back, I mean Maynard hasn't even had time to settle and people are bitching about him already.

I am still confident that Maynard will prove people wrong in the long run and he will score a good few goals if the fans allow him to settle in and get in form

The difference is i was frustrated at the whole long ball game aginst Brum, that was a one off my other 300 + posts havnt contained any ''gash'' as you put it.

I don't wont to bring the whole Bola situation up again but if you look back at that post i wasnt alone in my feelings, unlike Pete Hinton were I'm still yet to see a post that people agree with.

Maynard was not a panic buy, he was Gary's number one target.

The only "panic" aspect of the transfer was that Gary & Steve were prepared to up their Maynard bid beyond their original valuation once they'd failed to sign Meteb or Mifsud.

Archived