IGNORED

Brian Howard

Corsham Ed

It is a good signing for Sheffield United, will make our game versus them next week an even tougher prospect.

Will be interesting to see the fee involved, because I can't imagine it'll be small.

if Carle is worth £1.2m, then you have got to be looking at around £1.5m at least?

if Carle is worth £1.2m, then you have got to be looking at around £1.5m at least?

I guess it depends on contract length or if he had a buy-out clause and the like, but I'd have thought £1.5-2 million at least considering his age and quality.

Still say we should be looking at someone like Darren Ambrose, who is only seeing action from the bench so far this season, is a similar age to Howard (actually younger) and is a proven creative/goalscoring central midfielder.

Wonder how long he has left on his contract?

I guess it depends on contract length or if he had a buy-out clause and the like, but I'd have thought £1.5-2 million at least considering his age and quality.

Still say we should be looking at someone like Darren Ambrose, who is only seeing action from the bench so far this season, is a similar age to Howard (actually younger) and is a proven creative/goalscoring central midfielder.

It seems to me that GJ simply does not see midfield as an issue unlike many fans on here including me.

Urgh, wouldnt want him here. All those goals and assists, get lost Brian.

He would only take LJ's place anyway, and then who's going to ''link the defense to attack'', and ''have a good engine'' and ''spray useful balls wide''.

:innocent06:

Spot on. :clapping:

At least we've got another 5 years of watching LJ "linking defence to attack", having a "good engine" and "spraying useful balls wide" to look forward to for the next 5 years!

Will become the Championship "nearly men" then.... :disapointed2se:

Spot on. :clapping:

At least we've got another 5 years of watching LJ "linking defence to attack", having a "good engine" and "spraying useful balls wide" to look forward to for the next 5 years!

Will become the Championship "nearly men" then.... :disapointed2se:

Perhaps you were much happier in the Paul Holland/Paul Mortimer central midfield glory days, than a pairing in Elliott and LJ that took us to a Championship play off final, then?

As for Howard, he's a good player who has clearly stopped trying at Barnsley and wants a move, Sheff U are higher payers than us and he won't have to move house, so realistically we wouldn't get him if we'd tried.

Perhaps you were much happier in the Paul Holland/Paul Mortimer central midfield glory days, than a pairing in Elliott and LJ that took us to a Championship play off final, then?

As for Howard, he's a good player who has clearly stopped trying at Barnsley and wants a move, Sheff U are higher payers than us and he won't have to move house, so realistically we wouldn't get him if we'd tried.

either of them in their prime and fit would be very good signings right now.

oh and personally I thought it was Elliott and Carle who took us to the play-off final?

either of them in their prime and fit would be very good signings right now.

oh and personally I thought it was Elliott and Carle who took us to the play-off final?

They didn't play for us in their prime though, did they?

And that's in our more recent past as we spent ages under Pulis, Wilson, Tinnion, etc bumping around at league one level until GJ arrived, not a Gary Shelton/Dave Rennie midfield, the last one which is comparible to Elliott/LJ to me.

I also can't believe after just one year at this level there are comments on here about us having to "put up" with spending the next 5 years in the Championship, based on the last time we were here I have no problem at all with that if it comes to pass.

Our achievement last season was based on 46 league games, of which Elliott started 44, Johnson 39 and Carle 14, and on that basis I think the first two played the greater part in getting us there.

They didn't play for us in their prime though, did they?

And that's in our more recent past as we spent ages under Pulis, Wilson, Tinnion, etc bumping around at league one level until GJ arrived, not a Gary Shelton/Dave Rennie midfield, the last one which is comparible to Elliott/LJ to me.

I also can't believe after just one year at this level there are comments on here about us having to "put up" with spending the next 5 years in the Championship, based on the last time we were here I have no problem at all with that if it comes to pass.

Our achievement last season was based on 46 league games, of which Elliott started 44, Johnson 39 and Carle 14, and on that basis I think the first two played the greater part in getting us there.

not to be a one line reply

yep

Got to admit I never rated Ambrose and had always thought of him as an overated player who had overachieved.

However, abit like Stuart Downing and the chubby then Charlton, now Sunderland winger whose name escapes me, he was very much more impressive when playing against City in the flesh and I accepted for the first time that he was indeed a very good player.

Not Premier League class perhaps, but a very useful player to have on your side at this level. Coupled with that is the fact that Ambrose went out of his way to heap praise on City's style of play after the match at the Valley, leading me to think he would welcome a move to play at AG under GJ.

Ambrose to me would be very near the top of a list of midfield players who would suit City's needs down to the ground and I'd be far from disappointed if GJ felt the same.

Got to admit I never rated Ambrose and had always thought of him as an overated player who had overachieved.

However, abit like Stuart Downing and the chubby then Charlton, now Sunderland winger whose name escapes me, he was very much more impressive when playing against City in the flesh and I accepted for the first time that he was indeed a very good player.

Not Premier League class perhaps, but a very useful player to have on your side at this level. Coupled with that is the fact that Ambrose went out of his way to heap praise on City's style of play after the match at the Valley, leading me to think he would welcome a move to play at AG under GJ.

Ambrose to me would be very near the top of a list of midfield players who would suit City's needs down to the ground and I'd be far from disappointed if GJ felt the same.

Didnt he score against us last season at Charlton?

Andy Reid, looks like he'd struggle to run in the dads egg and spoon race in the junior school sports day, but actually his build defies logic, a very good player and scores a few too.

Sheffield United>City.

Sorry, we're still down on the pecking order for signings.

I'd like Johnnie Jackson, who i think might be available. Second highest central midfield assists. 7 goals no penalties unlike Watson in a team that went down last year.

Sheffield United>City.

Sorry, we're still down on the pecking order for signings.

I'd like Johnnie Jackson, who i think might be available. Second highest central midfield assists. 7 goals no penalties unlike Watson in a team that went down last year.

A little bit of Prem experience as well as I recall.

GJ won't sign a central midfielder because he believes his two starters are automatics, and therefore wouldn't buy anyone who'd expect a start.

A little bit of Prem experience as well as I recall.

GJ won't sign a central midfielder because he believes his two starters are automatics, and therefore wouldn't buy anyone who'd expect a start.

He bought Carle so that makes a mockery of he won't replace his son comments IMO, but Carle wasn't good enough in his opinion to get ahead of LJ.

It's not that he won't replace LJ, just he hasn't found someone to.

He bought Carle so that makes a mockery of he won't replace his son comments IMO, but Carle wasn't good enough in his opinion to get ahead of LJ.

I don't think GJ is looking to replace anyone in the centre of midfield

He brought in Carle to play with LJ in the side.....on the wing or in the hole.

Carle only played in his best position ie central midfield when LJ was injured.

Johnson will NOT ever replace LJ unless he is injured/suspended.

Not true Carle played most of his ineffective games on the right side of midfield. Played his effective ones in central midfield.

The "mockery" is that Carle has scored as many goals this season as our top goal scorer irrespective of how well or not Palace are doing.

I don't think GJ is looking to replace anyone in the centre of midfield

I think if someone came along he would.

He brought in Carle to play with LJ in the side.....on the wing or in the hole.

Carle only played in his best position ie central midfield when LJ was injured.

Johnson will NOT ever replace LJ unless he is injured/suspended.

Don't believe it. He brought him in to challenge LJ in central midfield. You don't bring in a guy to play him out of position, well GJ hasn't so far.

Not true Carle played most of his ineffective games on the right side of midfield. Played his effective ones in central midfield.

The "mockery" is that Carle has scored as many goals this season as our top goal scorer irrespective of how well or not Palace are doing.

He played on the right out of necessity. He played in the middle his position and in GJ's views (read the hierachy comment) didn't do enough there to merit a first team spot so when we got the £1million offer for a bench player we of course took it.

I think if someone came along he would.

Don't believe it. He brought him in to challenge LJ in central midfield. You don't bring in a guy to play him out of position, well GJ hasn't so far.

He played on the right out of necessity. He played in the middle his position and in GJ's views (read the hierachy comment) didn't do enough there to merit a first team spot so when we got the £1million offer for a bench player we of course took it.

I'll agree to dissagree on this one.

Gavin Williams is clearly being asked to play out of posisition to get a sniff of first team action, he is not a wide right player and suffers just like Carle did.

Nick carle at Brammel Lane and Selhurst Park last season did more than enough was indeed integeral in to the performance in both those matches. The guy was new to the club and the country, I remain convinced he would have been an effective player for City.

I think Pete Johnson played a master stroke in signing an internation player for £500K and to sell him for £500K profit, when to get a player of similar stature, or better most agree will cost considerably more was poor business. And that "bench player" has still scored as many goals as our top goal scorer has he not?

McIndoe will have today upset many fans with his honestly but he his right, he is ambitious and there is something lacking in City's side, of course he has to be careful what he says but it doesn't take much interpretation what he was getting at. Certainly watching the game on Saturday and every other game this season I know what he means.

Archived