IGNORED

Brian Howard

Corsham Ed

Barnsley deny Blades Howard bid! They have accepted a bid from another club! http://news.BBC.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...utd/7640074.stm

Interesting, I'm not sure we need another midfeilder at the present time. That said though if this "rival club" did turn out to be us I wouldnt complain, Howard is a seriously good player. I would guess at Coventry or maybe Ipswich is where he may end up.

either of them in their prime and fit would be very good signings right now.

oh and personally I thought it was Elliott and Carle who took us to the play-off final?

Yes you're right. That was the pairing that took us to the Play off final. Unfortunately that was also the pairing that only took 2 wins form 8 at the end of the season.

The lad only has 7 months left on his contract so 500k is about right.

Birmingham and Charlton are the other clubs mentioned to be interested...

Of those two Charlton seems the more likley for a longer term deal. If he joined Birmingham and if/when they go up do we really think that Howard is up to Premier League standard and would be a bench-warmer from next year and would want a move then.

Last time there was an unamed club, it was us and we know how much GJ likes to keep those Aces close to his moobs.

But, if Birmingham are interested... pecking order seems to dictate that we won't be seeing him.

I mean, in terms of pecking orders- we must have done ourselves some favours last season. I'd like to think that we have something to offer players, not least one of the best managers in the league.

Last time there was an unamed club, it was us and we know how much GJ likes to keep those Aces close to his moobs.

But, if Birmingham are interested... pecking order seems to dictate that we won't be seeing him.

I mean, in terms of pecking orders- we must have done ourselves some favours last season. I'd like to think that we have something to offer players, not least one of the best managers in the league.

Fee would be no problem. Where we can't compete with many is on wages. So I won't hold my breath.

Totally stirring here but what the heck...

Wonder why GJ was in his suit for the interview today? Never usually is for the pre-match talks...

And his phone rang during it too? Maybe something to do with it...

Plus Sheffield United's fee for Howard was quoted as £500k in some reports, I can believe GJ and SL would pay that if they believed a player to be worth it.

I really am just speculating for the sake of it though and don't know anything.

I'm just pleased he might not be facing us on saturday TBH 'cause he'd be making his home debut and be looking to make an impression no doubt!

http://news.BBC.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...utd/7640074.stm

Barnsley have rejected Sheffield United's offer for midfielder Brian Howard and have accepted a rival bid.

The Blades had claimed Howard, 25, would join them on loan on Tuesday, with a view to a permanent deal.

But a Tykes statement on their website read: "The terms offered in writing by Sheffield United for the transfer of Brian were not acceptable.

"Overnight, Barnsley FC has received a further acceptable offer for Brian from another club."

Barnsley will not reveal the identity of the other club.

Sheffield United boss Kevin Blackwell had told BBC Radio Sheffield: "We need creativity and goals from midfield and Brian will give us that.

"He should complete his move tomorrow [on Tuesday]."

Howard, who is in the final year of his contract, scored 14 goals for Barnsley last season and helped them reach the FA Cup semi-final.

"Brian is a top quality player and I am thrilled to get him as we have been waiting for a long time to find someone who can fill the void in midfield," Blackwell added.

Howard was left out of the Barnsley squad for their 0-0 draw with Norwich on Saturday.

Howard joined Barnsley from Swindon in 2005 and helped the team win promotion at the end of his first season with the club, when they Swansea on penalties in the League One play-off final.

He came to national prominence last season when he scored a last-minute winner as Barnsley beat Liverpool 2-1 at Anfield in the FA Cup and led them to another astonishing victory over Chelsea in the following round.

Howard has only found the net once so far this season in a disappointing start by Barnsley, who have won only one of their opening eight games.

http://www.barnsleyfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page...1408144,00.html

BARNSLEY FOOTBALL CLUB STATEMENT - BRIAN HOWARD (30/09/08)

Posted on: Tue 30 Sep 2008

AS our fans will attest, it is not the normal policy of Barnsley FC to comment on transfers to and from the Club until complete and irrevocable agreement has been reached.

Given the widespread reporting yesterday that the Club has agreed terms with Sheffield United for the transfer of Brian Howard, it is necessary to make a statement.

As at 9.00am this morning, the terms offered in writing by Sheffield United for the transfer of Brian were not acceptable, most particularly in terms of proposed sell-on arrangements.

Overnight, Barnsley FC has received a further acceptable offer for Brian from another club, and as is proper, the Club has reverted to his agents to obtain formally, their client's instructions in relation to this opportunity.

We will make further statements as necessary.

Wonder who this over club could be? Us? We wish...!

Mass rumours spreading that he's having a medical at Bristol City tomorrow..Don't know who/what to believe at this moment in time!

Seems to be a few whispers that we maybe involved.

Well Brum fans are convinced it is them. Which seems more likely. In any event Howard is a talented player but has a mind of his own, not something Gary likes judging by his comments about some players cracking and having to be moved on which looked like a reference to McIndoe. Would be delighted to be wrong as he would bring much needed creativity and the odd goal.

Well Brum fans are convinced it is them. Which seems more likely. In any event Howard is a talented player but has a mind of his own, not something Gary likes judging by his comments about some players cracking and having to be moved on which looked like a reference to McIndoe. Would be delighted to be wrong as he would bring much needed creativity and the odd goal.

It seems its not brum after all - Brian Howard's not for Blues

Would love to see a midfield partnership of howard and elliot, however even though brum have ruled themselves out i still don't think we could match his wage demands.

Mass rumours spreading that he's having a medical at Bristol City tomorrow..Don't know who/what to believe at this moment in time!

Seems to be a few whispers that we maybe involved.

could you give any clues as to who you heard this from mate?

or is it just general rumours?

:fingerscrossed:

Anyone found any updates about this?? Id be more than happy if he signed!! Not to start another Lee Johnson debate (who I think is a good player) but I feel its the one position we could improve with a proper goalscoring midfielder.

Daily Mail claims he has threatened to go on strike unless he is allowed to join Sheff Utd.

As a postscript to this saga I've just had it on good authority from a friend in the North that City made the best bid for Brian Howard, offering around £600,000. Unfortunately, when the player was told of our bid he was only ever interested in Sheffield United.

As a postscript to this saga I've just had it on good authority from a friend in the North that City made the best bid for Brian Howard, offering around £600,000. Unfortunately, when the player was told of our bid he was only ever interested in Sheffield United.

Which, if nothing else. underlines the point that when people say "Why doesn't Johnson bring in....", it isn't always as straightforward as that.

Which, if nothing else. underlines the point that when people say "Why doesn't Johnson bring in....", it isn't always as straightforward as that.

It also shows the predicament of our recuitment policy. In league 1 we were consistenly one of the best sides. Therefore we were attractive to good prospects from lower leagues, established Lg 1 players & players who failed to shine at a higher level.

Compared to the likes of Sheff Utd, Wolves etc we are still a somewhat unknown quantity at this level. Realistically if you are a proven CCC player you would go to one of the "bigger" clubs in the league before us.

It also shows the predicament of our recuitment policy. In league 1 we were consistenly one of the best sides. Therefore we were attractive to good prospects from lower leagues, established Lg 1 players & players who failed to shine at a higher level.

Compared to the likes of Sheff Utd, Wolves etc we are still a somewhat unknown quantity at this level. Realistically if you are a proven CCC player you would go to one of the "bigger" clubs in the league before us.

You'd certainly go to the ones that are paying Premier League wages without having to move.

But you know this won't get picked up on and people will say GJ won't replace his son... he will if he finds someone he thinks is better!

You'd certainly go to the ones that are paying Premier League wages without having to move.

But you know this won't get picked up on and people will say GJ won't replace his son... he will if he finds someone he thinks is better!

The problem is that Lee's contract is £15 pocket money a week, a Beano annual for Christmas and every month a jamboree bag, sherbet dab and a shillings worth of black jacks and fruit salad and a new tricycle ever 2 years (to be fair, after promotion Gary said he could, take the stabalisers off) Also, Gary drives Lee to Scouts every Tuesday evening.

Let's be honest Brian Howard is not going to move his family for that sort of deal is he?

P.S Ben Watson would have come here and had accepted the contract terms but at the last minute his agent demanded a proper 2 wheel bike with 18 gears, so Gary told him to **** off!

P.S Ben Watson would have come here and had accepted the contract terms but at the last minute his agent demanded a proper 2 wheel bike with 18 gears, so Gary told him to **** off!

PPS

For all the Watson love in, about him being a goal scoring, creative midfielder - go look at his stats, deduct the penalties from his total goal tally & it really isn't very impressive. I will give you he is good at deadball deliver but so is LJ.

Archived