IGNORED

Gj Got The Tactics Wrong - Big Time.

Samh

Went to Wolves yesterday and I've got to say that GJ really slipped up with Skuse at right back and Weale in goal.

I like Skuse a lot and think he has done well this year, but after last season against Wolves, when Jarvis was one of their best players with bags of pace, Orr has to start. Orr has been our most consistent player for the last 2 years and is now a fully converted full back, not the quickest, but reads it so well.

It was clear after the first ten minutes that Skuse was struggling and it gave Wolves an extra, confidence building edge. Why do GJ / Managers feel they have to stick to their tactics until half time?? - I don't mean substitutes but re-shuffle - Carey at right back for an example.

When your playing top of the league, go with the best team you have. Forget the 2nd half of the match before against poor opposition!!

It was clear that GJ wanted to bring back Elliot, and rightly so - but don't compromise a very solid back line to accomodate a central midfielder out of position.

As GJ said in the paper ' Skuse did OK at right back' ( against Donnie) - Not good enough.

Weale looked on edge in the first half, got lobbed and flapped on crosses - 2nd half he improved but I know who I'm more confident with.

Grumble over so come on City tuesday night!!!

Went to Wolves yesterday and I've got to say that GJ really slipped up with Skuse at right back and Weale in goal.

I like Skuse a lot and think he has done well this year, but after last season against Wolves, when Jarvis was one of their best players with bags of pace, Orr has to start. Orr has been our most consistent player for the last 2 years and is now a fully converted full back, not the quickest, but reads it so well.

It was clear after the first ten minutes that Skuse was struggling and it gave Wolves an extra, confidence building edge. Why do GJ / Managers feel they have to stick to their tactics until half time?? - I don't mean substitutes but re-shuffle - Carey at right back for an example.

When your playing top of the league, go with the best team you have. Forget the 2nd half of the match before against poor opposition!!

It was clear that GJ wanted to bring back Elliot, and rightly so - but don't compromise a very solid back line to accomodate a central midfielder out of position.

As GJ said in the paper ' Skuse did OK at right back' ( against Donnie) - Not good enough.

Weale looked on edge in the first half, got lobbed and flapped on crosses - 2nd half he improved but I know who I'm more confident with.

To be honest I predicted the side that GJ picked,

The reasons are very easy to see, GJ likes to keep a happy ship and he basically lets the team pick itself, Orr went off against donny, city won 4-1, elliot back in, This made it easy for johnson to pick the team that finished,

Tuesday he will drop skuse and weale and pick Orr

I've stated on a different post, Brad has been very tetchy of late and needed some time to resolve whatever issues he's got. I hope the 80 or so mins spent on the bench may have given time to reflect on just how much we need him at his best and not stropping around moaning at his team mates when things arent going to plan. He would have lasted 10 mins yesterday before he either would have had to be subbed to prevent his dismissal or planting a team mate.

Agree that Carey may have been a better option at rb but to be honest we were handed a bit of a lesson in fast attacking football yesterday.

Tuesday he will drop skuse and weale and pick Orr

Maybe - but Skuse has far better pace than Orr and a better temperament. Against a pacy and tricky winger like Jarvis pace and a cool head are vital.

Elliot is clearly not yet fit but with a full game under his belt he's getting closer to a 100% every game he plays. It can take some players 4 or 5 games to get fully match fit.

The other thing to consider regarding Johnson's selection on saturday is that he likes to reward players who do well.Sproule was good against Donny as was Weale,Skuse and Elliot and all four kept their place. Orr became a liability and so was 'rested' against Wolves.

By sticking with his 'play well and you keep your place' policy Johnson can justifyably making changes for Tuesday night. There were players who didn't perform well at Wolves, Sproule in particular and he might be one who finds himself on the bench against Argyle. Weale after being at serious fault for the Wolves first goal might also lose his place.

I've stated on a different post, Brad has been very tetchy of late and needed some time to resolve whatever issues he's got. I hope the 80 or so mins spent on the bench may have given time to reflect on just how much we need him at his best and not stropping around moaning at his team mates when things arent going to plan. He would have lasted 10 mins yesterday before he either would have had to be subbed to prevent his dismissal or planting a team mate.

Agree that Carey may have been a better option at rb but to be honest we were handed a bit of a lesson in fast attacking football yesterday.

Is it possible that following Orr's injury at Wembley he possibly blames himself for us losing? He could then be trying extra harder to make amends but for some reason it ain't going well at the moment and he ends up losing his cool.

Maybe - but Skuse has far better pace than Orr and a better temperament. Against a pacy and tricky winger like Jarvis pace and a cool head are vital.

Against a pacy and tricky winger like Jarvis your best off having someone who can tackle, keep tight and stop crosses coming over at will.

Archived