IGNORED

10 Games In

westred1

So, we're 10 League and Cup games so I think it is time assess this season as Gary Johnson likes to do things in 10 games and a lot of people have said 'Judge [stick player's name in here] after 10+ games'.

How have we done?

Position: 6th Points: 12

Won: 4 (1 cup) Drew: 3 Lost: 2 (1 cup) Scoring: 14 Conceding: 10 GD: + 4 (League +5)

Top Scorer: Steve Brooker 3 (In all competitions), Micheal McIndoe 3

I feel we were quite lucky against Blackpool in the opening game. I didn't go myself but from what I was told and what I heard on the Radio, Blackpool can deem themselves unlucky. Steve Brooker sounded like he made the difference in the last 10 minutes, not just for the goal, but in general play.

In the Cup against Peterbrough, we started very slow conceding a sloppy goal from an adequate team. It was only in the second half when we decided to wake up we played some decent football and came away with the win.

The Derby game was seen as a test for us as they had just come down from the prem. And I thought we edged it. Maynard opened his account and I believe everyone thought great things were going to happen. But very sloppy defending and missed chances cost us dearly and led to an outburst of Lee Johnson hatred on here.

Coventry away was, from what I've been told, the best game city have played this season with everyone chipping in towards a great performance. I quote my friend saying that 'games like that are why I support City'.

Then, IMO, the players were too cocky for their own good as we were coming of the back of a comfortable win to play a less than average Crewe. The less said about that the better.

QPR I believe was a decent draw concidering the amount of money they have put into their team. Adebola scored with a tidy finish in an overall good performance from the team.

In the derby game against Cardiff we again started slow and looked second best to a very good Cardiff team. But as Gary Johnson does best, he rallied the players up and we fought for the victory and if it were not for good keeping from Tom Heaton, we would have won.

Then we had a game against one of the big boys, Birmingham. People were saying it was the team to beat if we were to be a serious contender for promotion. We were very poor during first half and their 2 goal cushion was justified. But again GJ got them going and the introduction of Lee Lee Lee Trundle and Ivan Sproule turned the game on it's head and we were unlucky not to get atleast a point.

We needed to bounce back and we did in style. We proved we are good enough to be up the top end of the championship with a good second half performance v Doncaster. Marvin Elliott was the difference; he was fantastic when he came on; when he sprinted to keep a ball in that no one else was trying to get and threading the ball through to Maynard spring to mind.

Wolves taught us a lesson. They have been the class act of the Championship at the moment and deservedly so by the show they put on against us.

So we sit in 6th after 8 league games and are out of the cup. Okay, the cup in perspective doesn't really matter but losing to a less than average Crewe side is poor.

In the league it hasn't been that good and except the Coventry game I don't think City have turned up to the start of a game yet.

We can all say it's because we missed Marv and Maynard hasn't been given the service or the chance, give him 10 games. Well yes we did miss Marv but it is a team with good footballers that should be able to fill in and perform, if GJ didn't think this he would have brought some one in.

As for Maynard, it's been 10 games and 2 goals in 10 is not very prolific. For the 2.25M paid, it is 1.125M per goal. Okay you can say, he has had no service, had some bad luck, had loads on target, had some disallowed but it still isn't good enough. He is a striker we have paid good money for to score goals and he isn't doing it for whatever reason.

If we were to get 12 points every 8 league games we would have 60 points (63pts if you count first game of season as extra game.) Which would've put us, in theory, in 13th. This would've been good for a first season in the CCC but after last season, I, like many others, have high expectations and this is no where near good enough.

There's my view (moan) over and done with. Your Thoughts?

If I were to rate the players after 10 games or what I have seen so far:

Basso: 8 - has been typically good for us but seems injury prone.

Orr: 6 - has let form slip in last few games and has become mouthy losing concentration on the game

Carey: 7 - His usual solid self but is prone to errors like all human beings

Fontaine: 7 - A solid centre half who does his job well

McAllister: 6 - I'm undecided on him often looks long rather than short but has superb tackling ability

Sproule: 5 - Has flurry's of brilliance but other times is innefective

Elliot: 6 - looks ready to return

Johnson: 7 - I think he is much imporved but still error prone

Mcindoe: 6 - what's going on with his constant drifting?

Maynard: 5 - lightweight and still learning in this league

Adebola: 7 - he has his moments I'll admit that

Weale: 7 - Is a good keeper but seems destined to never oust Basso

Wilson : 7 - He looked very fit and capable whilst in the first team

Brooker: 6 - Provided goals early on still injury prone though

Trundle: 6 - Havn't seen enough of him but is always playing the clever ball when he comes on

Skuse: 5 - Not playing to Johnson or Elliots level

Webster: 6 - Havn't seen too much

McCoombe: 6 - Looked solid and not as panicky when he was playing

So, we're 10 League and Cup games so I think it is time assess this season as Gary Johnson likes to do things in 10 games and a lot of people have said 'Judge [stick player's name in here] after 10+ games'.

How have we done?

Won: 4 (1 cup) Drew: 3 Lost: 2 (1 cup) Scoring: 14 Conceding: 10 GD: + 4 (League +5)

I feel we were quite lucky against Blackpool in the opening game. I didn't go myself but from what I was told and what I heard on the Radio, Blackpool can deem themselves unlucky. Steve Brooker sounded like he made the difference in the last 10 minutes, not just for the goal, but in general play.

In the Cup against Peterbrough, we started very slow conceding a sloppy goal from an adequate team. It was only in the second half when we decided to wake up we played some decent football and came away with the win.

The Derby game was seen as a test for us as they had just come down from the prem. And I thought we edged it. Maynard opened his account and I believe everyone thought great things were going to happen. But very sloppy defending and missed chances cost us dearly and led to an outburst of Lee Johnson hatred on here.

Coventry away was, from what I've been told, the best game city have played this season with everyone chipping in towards a great performance. I quote my friend saying that 'games like that are why I support City'.

Then, IMO, the players were too cocky for their own good as we were coming of the back of a comfortable win to play a less than average Crewe. The less said about that the better.

QPR I believe was a decent draw concidering the amount of money they have put into their team. Adebola scored with a tidy finish in an overall good performance from the team.

In the derby game against Cardiff we again started slow and looked second best to a very good Cardiff team. But as Gary Johnson does best, he rallied the players up and we fought for the victory and if it were not for good keeping from Tom Heaton, we would have won.

Then we had a game against one of the big boys, Birmingham. People were saying it was the team to beat if we were to be a serious contender for promotion. We were very poor during first half and their 2 goal cushion was justified. But again GJ got them going and the introduction of Lee Lee Lee Trundle and Ivan Sproule turned the game on it's head and we were unlucky not to get atleast a point.

We needed to bounce back and we did in style. We proved we are good enough to be up the top end of the championship with a good second half performance v Doncaster. Marvin Elliott was the difference; he was fantastic when he came on; when he sprinted to keep a ball in that no one else was trying to get and threading the ball through to Maynard spring to mind.

Wolves taught us a lesson. They have been the class act of the Championship at the moment and deservedly so by the show they put on against us.

So we sit in 6th after 8 league games and are out of the cup. Okay, the cup in perspective doesn't really matter but losing to a less than average Crewe side is poor.

In the league it hasn't been that good and except the Coventry game I don't think City have turned up to the start of a game yet.

We can all say it's because we missed Marv and Maynard hasn't been given the service or the chance, give him 10 games. Well yes we did miss Marv but it is a team with good footballers that should be able to fill in and perform, if GJ didn't think this he would have brought some one in.

As for Maynard, it's been 10 games and 2 goals in 10 is not very prolific. For the 2.25M paid, it is 1.125M per goal. Okay you can say, he has had no service, had some bad luck, had loads on target, had some disallowed but it still isn't good enough. He is a striker we have paid good money for to score goals and he isn't doing it for whatever reason.

If we were to get 12 points every 8 league games we would have 60 points (63pts if you count first game of season as extra game.) Which would've put us, in theory, in 13th. This would've been good for a first season in the CCC but after last season, I, like many others, have high expectations and this is no where near good enough.

fair shout I agree with all you say nothing else to add.

Orr: 6 - has let form slip in last few games and has become mouthy losing concentration on the game

McAllister: 6 - I'm undecided on him often looks long rather than short but has superb tackling ability

Trundle: 6 - Havn't seen enough of him but is always playing the clever ball when he comes on

fair judgement to be fair except there may be a few i'd change Skuse for instance as I thought he has done well.

your having a laugh,how can basso be the best player so far for city!

mate your constant moaning about the club is getting really really irritating

but really, fair enogh. thought out and stuff. i think the maynard thing is an argument that will rage on, but I'm in the "wait and see" camp. fair enough we payed big money (by our standards anyways) but the kid is young and raw, still learning his trade and in a completely new team with a different style of play. at crewe they played to him, so he would score more and eventually command a large transfer fee! it worked as well. here he is another " club in the bag" or cog in the machine, i personally don't think this is the way foward and the only way gary will ever utilise the strengths of nicky is to base our attacking play around creating chances for him, in my opinion this will happen when LJ plays further up and passes the ball foward more, or when GW or DN come into the side int he hole or in the middle, they have the vision to put a ball beyond the last defender and thats what NM wants.... either that or we sign his mate from crewe who is apparently a little muppet but he set up the vast majority of his goals at crewe!

i also disagree partly with your elevated expectations! i understand its natural to want progression from the levels we reached last season, but i think this may be unrealistic. the club is moving in the right direction but this progress will not happen overnight, GJ just signed a 5 year contract and this indicates to me he understands that the job at city is far from over. I'm not sure how long youve been going lewis, but i can still remember what it was like when we were at this level last, it was torture! we got hammered week in week out towards the end of that season.... and from that point onwards it was hell. Benni came and went with his awful east european flops, pulis came and ruined the club iinside and out with awful football and a pile of sags in tow, the fans disapeared. danny wilson started a mini revival at the club, the youth players came through and looked promising... but we could never ever achieve anything! falling at the alst hurdle season after season! i know you know about the tinman era, and that was awful too! he literally tore our club to peices! getting rid of everything and anything.... excpet the drinking culture!

then came GJ! and since his arrival we have completely transformed as a football club. once a laughing stock around the west country we are now a nationally acclaimed and admired football team, who "play it in the right way" we have some of the most talented players outside the prem and we have the best english manager around. i have only seen a little bit more than you mate, so imagine those who supported the club when they were literally the worst in the football league, a team of kids! basically this is heaven, we are a team capable of competing with the best.

but success is a long long way away, and Bristol City FC is still very much a work in progress.

other than those two things i agree!

be patient .... it is after all a virtue ;)

i also disagree partly with your elevated expectations! i understand its natural to want progression from the levels we reached last season, but i think this may be unrealistic. the club is moving in the right direction but this progress will not happen overnight, GJ just signed a 5 year contract and this indicates to me he understands that the job at city is far from over. I'm not sure how long youve been going lewis, but i can still remember what it was like when we were at this level last, it was torture! we got hammered week in week out towards the end of that season.... and from that point onwards it was hell. Benni came and went with his awful east european flops, pulis came and ruined the club iinside and out with awful football and a pile of sags in tow, the fans disapeared. danny wilson started a mini revival at the club, the youth players came through and looked promising... but we could never ever achieve anything! falling at the alst hurdle season after season! i know you know about the tinman era, and that was awful too! he literally tore our club to peices! getting rid of everything and anything.... excpet the drinking culture!

Me? Moan? You must be mistaken! First time in ages :innocent06:

I've been going 11 nearly 12 years, since I was 4. I've been through the years of John Ward, Benny L, Tony Pulis, Danny Wilson, Tinman and GJ.

6 managers in 12 years proves we are trying to find the right person to take us forward. I vaguely remember the promotion with Wardy but I vividly remember the torture of Benny losing games like 5-0 away at Bradford and 6-1 home v Wolves and you're right GJ has us going on the up.

But I think Gary Johnson is one of the people who is setting high expectations and he needs to see at the moment we aren't playing well and changes need to be made to ensure premier league football. (Not just Maynard)

but really, fair enogh. thought out and stuff. i think the maynard thing is an argument that will rage on, but I'm in the "wait and see" camp. fair enough we payed big money (by our standards anyways) but the kid is young and raw, still learning his trade and in a completely new team with a different style of play. at crewe they played to him, so he would score more and eventually command a large transfer fee! it worked as well. here he is another " club in the bag" or cog in the machine, i personally don't think this is the way foward and the only way gary will ever utilise the strengths of nicky is to base our attacking play around creating chances for him, in my opinion this will happen when LJ plays further up and passes the ball foward more, or when GW or DN come into the side int he hole or in the middle, they have the vision to put a ball beyond the last defender and thats what NM wants.... either that or we sign his mate from crewe who is apparently a little muppet but he set up the vast majority of his goals at crewe!

then came GJ! and since his arrival we have completely transformed as a football club. once a laughing stock around the west country we are now a nationally acclaimed and admired football team, who "play it in the right way" we have some of the most talented players outside the prem and we have the best english manager around. i have only seen a little bit more than you mate, so imagine those who supported the club when they were literally the worst in the football league, a team of kids! basically this is heaven, we are a team capable of competing with the best.

but success is a long long way away, and Bristol City FC is still very much a work in progress.

other than those two things i agree!

be patient .... it is after all a virtue ;)

Agree fully with you my friend.

Hancock. Be patient my good man.

I've been going 11 nearly 12 years, since I was 4. I've been through the years of John Ward, Benny L, Tony Pulis, Danny Wilson, Tinman and GJ.

6 managers in 12 years proves we are trying to find the right person to take us forward. I vaguely remember the promotion with Wardy but I vividly remember the torture of Benny losing games like 5-0 away at Bradford and 6-1 home v Wolves and you're right GJ has us going on the up.

But I think Gary Johnson is one of the people who is setting high expectations and he needs to see at the moment we aren't playing well and changes need to be made to ensure premier league football. (Not just Maynard)

changes do need to be made ill agree, but NOT maynard. we need to change tactics!!!!

and you talk of "ensuring" prem football... we are a long way from being at a stage where promotion is a must

Remind GJ not to forget the rope for tomorrow night, tie McIndoe to the left touchline. :winner_third_h4h:

i think the season has started quite well. we havent really excelled ourself at home and our big summer signing hasnt turned up yet either, but we are still in 6th and well positioned to kick on. also arguably our best player of last season has been missing aswell.

solid home wins needs to be the order of the day now and we will scrap for anything we can get away just like last year. need to try and get our width back through midfield though as that has been a bit of a concern

Basso

Orr Carey Fonts McCallister

? Elliot Johnson McCindoe

Dele Maynard

when this team is fit and if we get a new quality right winger in xmas window then it will deliver! couple of goals soon from nicky would be handy though :)

plus is there really any other champ manager you have in to replcae gary?? didnt think so

always believe!

plus is there really any other champ manager you have in to replcae gary?? didnt think so

always believe!

Nice of you to join us mr Jef, sir, how'd be you today?

I didn't say I wanted to replace GJ one bit! I'm perfectly happy with him as manager, he is an excellent manager with a lot of knowledge. In him I trust.

Isn't there 46 games a season? So at 1.5 points a game we'd have another 9 points.

How have we done?

Great post but I disagree ''this is nowhere near good enough''.

Looking at the 5 teams above us today, I don't think we should be complaining too much. I also have high expectations but was expecting a bit of a backlash after last years disappointment. I would have given anything to go up last year but we are showing we were not ready.

I think we have consolidated well (the season has a few more games to go yet) and from what I have seen think we have another gear or 2 to go. I have the full blind faith in GJ and am over the moon at his new contract. He continues to promote the club, himself and us (the fans) the way football should be.

The negatives for me are:

Cup - Had 'that feeling' that Crewe were going to be a stumbler after pinching Maynard. I know its only the league cup but feels like ages since we put a decent cup run together of any description. A day out at a shaky Spurs / Newcastle in the next round or one of the 'big four' in the later stages would have been a welcome distraction from the serious day to day of the championship. Roll on the FA Cup. :fingerscrossed:

Birmingham and Wolves - Didn't have the same feeling/confidence/balls as last year against the 'big' teams in the division. Need to get that fight back. :bruce_h4h:

That said, do you not feel like we fully deserve to be where we are now? none of this 'punching above our weight' or 'first season luck' nonsense from last year. We are here to stay and the only way is to the prem!!

:city::city::city:

Archived