IGNORED

Ok...lets Try Again...

dezgimed

Erm...ok...Maynard cant score. Why cant he score? No service. Why no service? Something wrong with the midfield.

This is all we have heard all season long, and the season before that with Trundle.

So answer me this someone, if Elliott and McIndoe are our best midfielders in a long while, and Lee is so important to the team.

Is it Sproule/the Right Winger who isnt doing his bit to create the chances?

3/4 of our midfielders the majority seem to be more than happy with, yet they are blamed for our lack of creativity, so is this not a valid question to raise, given the recurring comments on this forum?

:disapointed2se:

am i allowed to reply or is my opinion not valid enough yet?

personally i feel our midfield is a man short as lee johnson plays half a role, I'm not bashing him before the LJ brigade come along. great he sits and passes it sideways, but in terms of attacking what does this bring us? would Noble or Williams do a better job at creating these chances? imo yes they would.

also the delivery from the wingers has been poor, so poor from mccindoe that i now rate ivan slightly higher than him on recent form :o

there needs to be a shift in tactics imo, one that creates a few chances and plays the way we did last season at the start except the build up play should involve the odd attempt at the KILLER BALL

am i allowed to reply or is my opinion not valid enough yet?

personally i feel our midfield is a man short as lee johnson plays half a role, I'm not bashing him before the LJ brigade come along. great he sits and passes it sideways, but in terms of attacking what does this bring us? would Noble or Williams do a better job at creating these chances? imo yes they would.

also the delivery from the wingers has been poor, so poor from mccindoe that i now rate ivan slightly higher than him on recent form :o

there needs to be a shift in tactics imo, one that creates a few chances and plays the way we did last season at the start except the build up play should involve the odd attempt at the KILLER BALL

Nah its ok I agree with you here.

IMO we will never create sufficient decent chances whilst playing a battler and a holder in CM.

and the only time we ever have is when both the battler and the holder had the creator in front of them in his hole, people say LJ does a great job for the team, and yes he does. but surely that job is a sacrifice you could make for someone who will help create goals? that is after all the object of the game, to score more than you opponents

and the only time we ever have is when both the battler and the holder had the creator in front of them in his hole, people say LJ does a great job for the team, and yes he does. but surely that job is a sacrifice you could make for someone who will help create goals? that is after all the object of the game, to score more than you opponents

Agreed, we need that one person who can create chances for the strikers and keep hold of the ball and score the odd screamer, no offence to LJ he's played pretty well recentley but we need more attacking, i.e noble next to elliot may work, but that will never happen....

Elliot is clearly the key missing ingredient - LJ and ME are a great combination but one we have not seen for more than a brief period this season´- Noble may help the creative side but would have to play instead of Sproule as an extra midfielder as he simply does not have the fitness neded to perform the role LJ does.

Erm...ok...Maynard cant score. Why cant he score? No service. Why no service? Something wrong with the midfield.

This is all we have heard all season long, and the season before that with Trundle.

So answer me this someone, if Elliott and McIndoe are our best midfielders in a long while, and Lee is so important to the team.

Is it Sproule/the Right Winger who isnt doing his bit to create the chances?

3/4 of our midfielders the majority seem to be more than happy with, yet they are blamed for our lack of creativity, so is this not a valid question to raise, given the recurring comments on this forum?

:disapointed2se:

Might have a better idea on the creativity debate after the CityVision (Key Play Analysis) is completed for this block of ten.

Can we not see it for ourselves in black and white on the pitch?

Crikey, something wrong with your eyes Dez ?

Seriously though, people have a dig at Maynard and others but the problem is quite obviously the quality of service, IMO. As previously mentioned in a different thread, having Dele up front doesn`t help as too often he`s seen as the easy option when the balls coming out of defence, lump it up there and hope for the best. Combine that with our apparent inability to go forward with any real pace and incisiveness and the result is the dross we witnessed for the 1st 60 minutes on Tues night.

Last season was fantastic, without a doubt, but people know us now. Our secret has been blown wide open and unless GJ can come up with a new formula with some of our current squad then i reckon any lingering hopes of us making the play-offs are long gone.

No doubt we have suffered with the absence of big Marvin but his imminent return may not be enough without a rethink. I think Sturrock got his game plan right. We are ok playing pretty passing football around the half way line but there is rarely any threat created. McIndoe, and others, are often to be seen tearing over the half way line only to come to a sudden stop and pass the ball backwards. Argyle came at us from the start and kicked us out of our comfort zone.

The final 30 minutes, in contrast, were fantastic and showed what we can be capable of. The conundrum, though, is whether those players that sparked the comeback Tues have it in them to provide that level of performance right from the start. Noble has struggled for what seems an eternity to be able to play anything close to 90 minutes, whilst Trundle, IMO, appears to have lost the confidence of GJ and there is also a question of whether he can provide that performance on a regular basis.

I believed before the start of the season that we would find it hard to repeat last seasons achievements. A few hiccups during pre-season in the transfer market hasn`t eased those concerns and yet here we are, 9 games in, with our only 2 defeats against teams currently occupying the top two slots., so it`s hard to be truly negative.

We, or i, can only put our trust in GJ and belief that he can continue to pull those rabbits out of the hats as he continues to guide our beloved club onwards and upwards.

PDG

What's all this about us not scoring goals or creating enough chances? We've scored more than Birmingham, Burnley and Sheff United and they're all in the top 6 right now. In fact we're joint 3rd with most goals scored at home!

According to this forum, Maynard isnt scoring because we arent creating the chances.

The problem is with the wide men. McIndoe, for all his fizzing around, doesn't actually deliver many good crosses. Sproule is even worse. I can't recall the last time Sproule got to the byline and delivered a cross into the six yard box.

I don't understand this. It seems as if both Sproule and McIndoe can't cross effectively. What do they do all week during training? Might a little practice not help them?

Maynard would also benefit from Noble who plays 10 yard balls into dangerous positions better than anyone. If Noble could last for 90 minutes I'd be tempted to play Noble with Elliot and tell Elliot to sit in front of the back four and mop up any trouble.

The problem is with the wide men. McIndoe, for all his fizzing around, doesn't actually deliver many good crosses. Sproule is even worse. I can't recall the last time Sproule got to the byline and delivered a cross into the six yard box.

I don't understand this. It seems as if both Sproule and McIndoe can't cross effectively. What do they do all week during training? Might a little practice not help them?

Maynard would also benefit from Noble who plays 10 yard balls into dangerous positions better than anyone. If Noble could last for 90 minutes I'd be tempted to play Noble with Elliot and tell Elliot to sit in front of the back four and mop up any trouble.

No player will ever last 90 minutes unless they get some match action unfortunately.

OK so the so-called 'problem' is our winger who's scored 3 goals in 8 games this season and with our other winger who's only started 3 games, scored once, was a key player in our 4-1 second half demolition of Doncaster and he's looked very lively in the last 2 or 3 games.

How about getting your head out of the clouds? McIndoe and Sproule have been involved in the build up to plenty of goals for us so far so I really don't see your problem there.

Good idea.. drop who our manager sees as our key midfielder. I think people need to realise that Lee Johnson plays whatever happens and that's fine because it works.

or maybe you shouldnt live by stats?

MM has scored 3... 2 where in one game, which is used against trundle for his goals against scunny :noexpression:

great, in every game this season he has been short of poor, the odd bad game is acceptable but his start to the season has been crap, and he hasnt really even play as a winger

i agree about sproule, he impresses me more and more each game

completely disagree about LJ, just because something"works" does that mean you cannot improve it? a creative midfilder with the battler will give a better balance going foward than a sitter and a battler, and result in more clearcut chances for maynard

or maybe you shouldnt live by stats?

MM has scored 3... 2 where in one game, which is used against trundle for his goals against scunny :noexpression:

great, in every game this season he has been short of poor, the odd bad game is acceptable but his start to the season has been crap, and he hasnt really even play as a winger

i agree about sproule, he impresses me more and more each game

completely disagree about LJ, just because something"works" does that mean you cannot improve it? a creative midfilder with the battler will give a better balance going foward than a sitter and a battler, and result in more clearcut chances for maynard

Fair points I think. I'm not living by stats I just don't understand why everyone's so critical of the team/manager/tactics recently.

OK so McIndoe doesn't always stay wide which I know frustrates a lot of people but to be honest, he's doing no different now to what he did last season. Maybe fans are just noticing more now because we're having more possession than last season but he's always been told to drift inside and play as almost a third striker.

About the LJ thing as well - he plays whatever happens because he's a key part of GJ's game tactics. He's our eager midfielder who's often available for a quick pass and always involved in matches. Noble's a flair player that would not be suited the 'LJ role'. I understand that there are other ways of playing football but I've noticed that this is Gary Johnson's way of playing and like I said, it does work.

i sit in the other camp to you on that then, i don't understand why people have a problem with people critisising poor form and debating wether a change in approach would improve our chances in a tougher division than last season

talking about football is after all the very purpose of being an english man( and women who know its right :) ) and on here seems the very best place to debate these things, with thousands of people who share my love for city and watch us often enough to for opinions

the MM staying central because we HAVE possesion seems very very strang to me, why do we need extra cover in the middle when we are attacking? surely it makes more sense to be spreading the play?

i don't understand then why GJ would risk his reputation on NM and not try to create him chances, would he really risk his quickly growing reputation just to avoid changing a tactic that got him this far, but may never get us any further? if so why sign a player that does not fit into that system at all?

i really don't think it can be long before it is LJ's turn to be dropped, it seems everyone in our squad has had a go this season, except williams and noble in there prefered posistions

Fair points I think. I'm not living by stats I just don't understand why everyone's so critical of the team/manager/tactics recently.

OK so McIndoe doesn't always stay wide which I know frustrates a lot of people but to be honest, he's doing no different now to what he did last season. Maybe fans are just noticing more now because we're having more possession than last season but he's always been told to drift inside and play as almost a third striker.

About the LJ thing as well - he plays whatever happens because he's a key part of GJ's game tactics. He's our eager midfielder who's often available for a quick pass and always involved in matches. Noble's a flair player that would not be suited the 'LJ role'. I understand that there are other ways of playing football but I've noticed that this is Gary Johnson's way of playing and like I said, it does work.

So if it works, why cant we create any chances for Maynard?

I'd disagree with players lacking creativity when it comes to our wingers, the problem is if our opponents can defend the wide game we lose all the creativity we do have.

When we get the ball out wide we do have some creativity but what we are lacking is a central midfielder with creativity and who will try some through balls for maynard to run onto.

Imo in midfield you need 2 creative wide players, an attacking midfileder who will also create and shoot and a defensive ball winner. We don't have that attacking midfileder with creativity and the shooting ability which means when our opponents cuts out the wide attacking we have nothing left to work with other than the long ball to Adebola. We need a creative attacking midfileder who isn't affraid to have a shot or play a through ball.

So if it works, why cant we create any chances for Maynard?

We can and are creating chances for Maynard. He's scored 2 goals, set up a penalty with a great run, missed 2 sitters against Blackpool, hit the bar against Cardiff, and the list goes on..

Newsflash: Dezgimed in another over dramatic outburst!

:innocent06:

But seriously, and dare I say it?....... I miss Carle. He always seemed to have someone man amrking him which pulled a man away and always created space.

Him and Elliott who I also believe is a key missing member makes us a much weaker side than that later team of last season.

Thats my opinion anywho.

We can and are creating chances for Maynard. He's scored 2 goals, set up a penalty with a great run, missed 2 sitters against Blackpool, hit the bar against Cardiff, and the list goes on..

2 goals in 10?

I seem to remember the great run being Marv's and Maynard just chased it.

Are you actually citing missed sitters? Desperation?

If the list goes on, do tell because from the games I've seen I can recall us putting him in as he likes it.

Archived