IGNORED

Fifa 09

Barrs Court Red

2009 is as bad, IF NOT worse than 2008, me and 3 mates all got it on day of release and all massive Evo fans, within 10 days all 3 of us had flogged it,

Online Laggy as ever, it took them long enough to fix 2008 online, cant be arsed to wait to fix 2009, offline the Champions League addition is nice, but not really worthy of a mention, Become a Legend is good, but no different really than the fifa version.

personally, I'd stick with Fifa, which I find depressing to say as I've been a Evo/ISS man since the SNES, unfortunately the game has been over-taken finally by Fifa.

thankfully I managed to get it for £27 from Asda on day of release and sold it for £29 on ebay

Like you Bh, I am gutted at the demise of the pro evo series. There was a time when Fifa players used to "skate" around the pitch and you could score at every opportunity, whilst Pro-Evo was always the purists(and my) first choice.

The problem I have now, and I am loathed to say it FIFA is SOOOO much better, but with all the "official licences and product endorsements", every time I play, as much as I enjoy it, I end up feeling dirty and cheap.

I am so divided on this whole issue. I don't know what to do!

I've been playing PES for years, and it's mechanics and gameplay is ingrained in my very soul. I've also spent many happy hours modding the game as far as I can take it.

HOWEVER, as a new Xbox owner, and a PC gamer, I am only too aware of the advances FIFA has made, and hearing the 'announcer' call out the squads, or seeing 'our' players run out the tunnel, there is no doubt that FIFA looks better. My concern is the fundamental mechanics. FIFA only recently introduced true physics, and there is some speculation that scripted routines still play a part.

Furthermore, the passing sometimes seems less fluid than PES, and more like a string of animated routines.

I cannot play both, as it requires unlearning old habits, so I'm hoping someone can convince me to embrace FIFA.

I've been playing PES for years, and it's mechanics and gameplay is ingrained in my very soul. I've also spent many happy hours modding the game as far as I can take it.

HOWEVER, as a new Xbox owner, and a PC gamer, I am only too aware of the advances FIFA has made, and hearing the 'announcer' call out the squads, or seeing 'our' players run out the tunnel, there is no doubt that FIFA looks better. My concern is the fundamental mechanics. FIFA only recently introduced true physics, and there is some speculation that scripted routines still play a part.

Furthermore, the passing sometimes seems less fluid than PES, and more like a string of animated routines.

I cannot play both, as it requires unlearning old habits, so I'm hoping someone can convince me to embrace FIFA.

Unfortunately Lewis, It is a no-brainer.

Assuming you played PES 2008, PES 2009 ain't a lot better.

Fifa09, just feels so much more polished, fluid, no obvious lag(dunno about online -doesn't float my boat to be beaten 10-0 by some 6 year old from Guatemala), more depth and better gameplay.

Don't expect the City players to look ANYTHING like their real life counterparts - they don't (Trundle = bald skinhead, Maynard = nearly white, Fontaine white)

If you are undecided - why not pop into Blockbuster and hire out Fifa09 and try before you buy?

This comes from a LIFELONG PES fan.

Thanks Elliott. I've been playing a bit of FIFA 09 at a friends house, and it is gradually seducing me bit by bit. I've been faithful to PES for many years, but recently she's put on a little weight, and doesn't do the things I like anymore.

This tart FIFA is sleek and sexy, and knows just how to get me excited.

I may have to make the break, not least because a lot of my friends are enjoying her and want me to join in (ok, this metaphor has got out of control now).

Anyone tried modding on the Xbox? Is there a way to fix the racial discrepancies?

Thanks Elliott. I've been playing a bit of FIFA 09 at a friends house, and it is gradually seducing me bit by bit. I've been faithful to PES for many years, but recently she's put on a little weight, and doesn't do the things I like anymore.

This tart FIFA is sleek and sexy, and knows just how to get me excited.

I may have to make the break, not least because a lot of my friends are enjoying her and want me to join in (ok, this metaphor has got out of control now).

Anyone tried modding on the Xbox? Is there a way to fix the racial discrepancies?

Crikey! talk about fruity !

I see your analogy though, PES has been like a beautiful girl full of the joys of life, easy to control and a joy to play with.

Unfortunately she has become the roller pin wielding, dressing gown battleaxe ready to start shouting at you if you come in late from the pub.

Fifa is the younger much hotter looking sister. :noexpression:

Anyone find Maynard a lightweight waste of space?

14 games in and a new keeper has been draughted in through my scouting network which also produced a nice attacking winger who can play left or right.

The longball game seems to work a dream with Dele upfront, he's scored 11 so far, although the goals are drying up as the online play has put me off my game against the AI.

Talking of online, the replays are geting on my tits. Massive mistake not being able to turn them off.

In my first season as Bristol City manager I found Maynard to be terrible for my first 12-15 games and I was scouting strikers but in the end spent most of my money rebuilding the midfield and buying robert Huth. Maynard came very good for me in the second half of the season and ended up being top goalscorer with 27 goals =)

I think it took me a long time to get used to using Maynard but once I did he's bloody awesome.

I won the championship and the FA Cup (although the FA Cup I barely played a decent team other than Newcastle who I beat on penelties. Infact I had Colchester in the finals =/). I went 1-0 up against Chelsea in the Charity sheild but unfortuently lost it 1-2. I signed a new LM after losing to Chelsea and then beat Manchester United 2-1 in my opening match of the premier league and after found I had signed S.Kalou on a free!! (he was a free agent) so now my team looks like this:

--------------------------Maynard--------------------

---------------Kalou-----------------------------------

--Huszti-----------------------------------------------

-----------------Johnson------------------------------

-------------------------------------------Halama----

------------------------------Elliot--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------

--Pinto----------------------------------------Orr----

----------------Fontaine---------Huth----------------

--------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------Basso------------------------

GK Basso

LB Pinto

CB Fontaine

CB Huth

RB Orr

RDM Elliot

RM Halama

LCAM Johnson

LAM Huszti

LCF Kalou

ST Maynard

I know that feeling mate. I played Pro Evo from the moment they renamed the game from it's previous name (I think it was International Superstar Striker or something) to Pro Evo. Pro evo used to walk all over Fifa and it was only when PES 2008 came that I thought it had taken a step backwards and I was disapointed. I gave fifa 08 a shot and enjoyed it a little but then this year Fifa 09 walks the floor with PES 2009. I think PES 2009 is far too arcadey now and looks terrible this year!

Fifa's passing is fantastic as you can tell the difference between a crap league 2 team and a premier league team during the match since the accuracy is a huge difference. This makes the whole promotion thing so much more enjoyable as when I was playing as City and I came against an inform tottenham team in the cup I played very well (respectable football) but still got hammered 3-1. It has a much more fluid play in 2009 and the headering system only has the flaw that only 2 people can challenge for the ball the majority of the time. Other than that you jostle, push and pull to win the ball in a headering situation. Strength also works this year round. I bought Huth because Carey got pushed around by some of the bigger stronger players but Huth is big and strong and uses his strength to win headers... I just don't see that anymore in Pro Evo.

I feel like a Judas turning on Pro Evo and only getting Fifa but at the end of the day I'm Judas with a better game =p

I'm half way through my second season with City on Legendary and I'm in the prem, after getting promoted via play offs against cardiff ! :englandsmile4wf:

This season i'm doing ok 14th and still in every competition, including Uefa Cup which I qualified in when reaching Carling Cup Final season before.

In goal I have Scott Carson, who is now rated 84, after snapping him up for a bargain of £900,00, Basso is still with me though and is now rated 74.

In defence its usually Orr (72), Carey (71), Fontaine (75), and McCalister (68), although I will be looking for a decent centre half and left back In January.

Midfield is Abate (78) Sprining and acceleration is (97) ! I bought him for 2mil of some foreign club, centre mid is Marv (74), and Pablo Martin Ledesma (79) my playmaker, somehow managed to buy him when he was rated 74 for 1mil off some club season before. And on the left is Keiran Richardson as it seemed apparent after 2 games, Macca couldn't quite cut it in the prem.

Up front I have Diego Sauzo (85) who is really fast, and I managed to get him on a free transfer as he was released from his club. My other striker is Nathan Delfouneso, a gangly 17 year old I signed in my first season from Aston Villa, he has now turned into a revelation this season after being slowly nurtured through, ( He took Dele's pace because he really lost his pace at 36 years old ! I also have Maynard (74) who i think is very good on the game if you give him a season or two to get stronger, and also Jermaine Beckford who is also pretty good seeming I only signed him from Leeds for 500 k

:englandsmile4wf:

Does the whole squad numbers thing not annoy anyone other than me then?

It is mildly annoying Eamer. But in real life, you cannot re-assign squad numbers once the season has started, so the player you bring it can only be assigned available numbers. It would be nice though to be able to change the numbers in the close season.

There will be a patch next week that resolves the number issue. Also it will stop players side-stepping when chasing the ball.

where did you read that? Thats pretty much my only dislike about the game. If they can fix that I'll be a very happy man =)

Hi guys,

picked up FIFA at the weekend, and spent far too many hours playing it, much to the annoyance of my missus. Really enjoying it.

The 10 v 10 thing is chaos, but I've really been enjoying online 1 v 1 and co-op. Had a few serious hammerings, but also dished out a few lessons (alas not with City).

I'd be interested in hooking up with a clan if anyone has anything going. I see there are quite a few 'Bristol' online teams.

Anyway, feel free to add me to your friend lists (my gamertag is 'boadle') and invite me for a game if you see me online.

where did you read that? Thats pretty much my only dislike about the game. If they can fix that I'll be a very happy man =)

Same here so same question to you from me, where did you hear that? Is it an XBox and PS3 patch or what? Got a link to where you heard about it? etc. etc. etc. etc.

Improved number assigning in Manager Mode

When signing a player in Manager Mode the player now makes a more sensible decision, based on this position, on which number he would like, whereas previously he would always take the number 2.

Still won't be able to pick numbers then...?

Seems I've downloaded it without even realising. Good stuff. Tested it out by signing Cesc Febregas, Aaron Ramsey and Bojan Krkic for Manchester United and NONE of them took #2. Hooraaaaaayyyy. It's a start. Still can't choose numbers but better than #2 being rotated around.

Current Bristol city side!

( I write this as I have found perfection! A side capable of thrashing Wolves, Reading and Birmingham without any new signings! If only real life were this easy)

Weale

Wilson Carey McCoombe McAllister

Sproule Elliot Noble McIndoe

Trundle Maynard

Subs: Skuse, Williams, Brooker, John, Basso

Interestingly the Trundle/Maynard front pairing seems to work well especially on corners and counter attacks.

Maynards pace can release Trundle to slot home.

Weale second best keeper in league atm after 17 games - 10 clean sheets

Trundle second top scorer after 17 games - 11 goals

BRISTOL CITY

12. GK: Christiano Luiz Boyle - OVR87 (scouted)

02. LB: M Miceli - OVR80

26. CB: James Wilson - OVR77

13. CB: Jochun Baysse - OVR80 (scouted)

20. RB: Fabio - OVR77

15. LM: Theo Walcott - OVR84

08. CM: Edimar C Augusto Sobis - OVR77 (scouted)

07. CM: Jack Rodwell - OVR76

11. RM: Rafael - OVR76

17. ST: Bojan - OVR82

09. ST: Danny Welbeck - OVR74

Does anyone play the clubs online feature?

If you play on the xbox version and go into Division one and look up a club called Monkeys XI you should be able to find the GamerTag BigZombieMonkey (moi)

I'm loving clubs atm, my current team (monkeys XI) have gone from being unrated to a division 12 club and over the last month we've stepped up our game and got into division one and we're holding that position well =) Great fun!!

btw if anyone plays on the PS3 I'm clubless on there and was wondering if maybe we could get a bristol city team going :laugh:

Archived