IGNORED

Can Gary Take Us To The Next Level>

scumbag

I love Gary Johnson as much as the next fan and there is no doubt he's a very good manager and I am more than grateful about how he's dragged us up from the 3rd Division, however the question has to be asked, Lansdown wants us in the Premier League and has wisely or unwisely given GJ a 5 year deal.

The qeustion has to be asked though? Is Johnson going to be ruthless enough to admit that many of the current squad are not good enough for the championship promotion push? We did well last season to catch other teams off guard as we almost got promoted but at the end of the season the pressure told we feel out of the top 2 and then heart-breakingly lost in the play-off final.

However teams are no longer underestimating us as they did last season and are fully aware of our ability, for me the team as a whole needs wholesale improvements.

There are the Obvious 2 positions that need improving which is Right Winger and a Creative Central Midfielder who have geninue quality and can actually influence a game on a regular basis.

Adebola is a good targetman, but doesn't suit our natural style of play which is on the floor, not long ball football.

Orr - Good determined player however ability has always a been a concern no matter how willing you are too fight for the team.

For me, I think GJ needed to show how determined but unfortunately showed too much loyality to some player when he should have been far more ruthless, LJ, Noble, Murray didn't deserve new contracts as they are all 3 not capable of moving us to a higher level, Carle who showed some real class come the end of last season, was STUPIDLY sold for a small profit, Williams was brought as he was a good value for money (cheap) according to Gary and so far has shown why he was so cheap.

Gary unfortunately also seems INCAPABLE of getting the best out our forwards, Jevons, Byfield, Trundle, Maynard ALL GOALSCORERS prior to City, but have struggled for goals in their times with the club because we don't play to their strengths.

I love the bloke, he's done well to get us here, but what's happened in the past is the past......Steve Lansdown wants the club to move forward, right now we are SERIOUSLY moving backwards

A quick yes would be my answer. You have identified a few areas that I agree with however. A decent right winger and creative midfielder are desperately required. I would have to get rid of wilson, Noble, Trundle, Lee Johnson and Sproule and get a few more consistant and quality players in then the goals will come. I would reluctantly keep Orr as he proved himself last season but also get another right back in for competition. Gary Johnson will have learned something about his squad over the last few games and will, in my opinion get things moving in the right direction again. I for one am very glad to have G.J. as our next manager for the next five years.

p.s. maybe a bit hasty in getting rid of the above players (except Sproule) after all we need strength in depth.

I love Gary Johnson as much as the next fan and there is no doubt he's a very good manager and I am more than grateful about how he's dragged us up from the 3rd Division, however the question has to be asked, Lansdown wants us in the Premier League and has wisely or unwisely given GJ a 5 year deal.

The qeustion has to be asked though? Is Johnson going to be ruthless enough to admit that many of the current squad are not good enough for the championship promotion push? We did well last season to catch other teams off guard as we almost got promoted but at the end of the season the pressure told we feel out of the top 2 and then heart-breakingly lost in the play-off final.

However teams are no longer underestimating us as they did last season and are fully aware of our ability, for me the team as a whole needs wholesale improvements.

There are the Obvious 2 positions that need improving which is Right Winger and a Creative Central Midfielder who have geninue quality and can actually influence a game on a regular basis.

Adebola is a good targetman, but doesn't suit our natural style of play which is on the floor, not long ball football.

Orr - Good determined player however ability has always a been a concern no matter how willing you are too fight for the team.

For me, I think GJ needed to show how determined but unfortunately showed too much loyality to some player when he should have been far more ruthless, LJ, Noble, Murray didn't deserve new contracts as they are all 3 not capable of moving us to a higher level, Carle who showed some real class come the end of last season, was STUPIDLY sold for a small profit, Williams was brought as he was a good value for money (cheap) according to Gary and so far has shown why he was so cheap.

Gary unfortunately also seems INCAPABLE of getting the best out our forwards, Jevons, Byfield, Trundle, Maynard ALL GOALSCORERS prior to City, but have struggled for goals in their times with the club because we don't play to their strengths.

I love the bloke, he's done well to get us here, but what's happened in the past is the past......Steve Lansdown wants the club to move forward, right now we are SERIOUSLY moving backwards

Just about to post the same thing. Didnt want to upset the OTIB happy clappys!!!!! :clapping:

I've kept quiet because unless you wanna bum johnson you'll get slated on here.

Very bad move to give GJ 5 years. He's now guaranteed his money no matter how well city do and since his new contract we've been crap. Coincidence? i don't think so?

Consolidation is the best we can hope for this season.

Wasn't it most people's hope a season ago to get established in the Championship? I will be well happy again if we stay in this division even if we come 17th

Nope............ not mine, not GJ, not Stephen Lansdowns.

Unfortunately, we're now stuck with a manager for 5 years that will continue to play his son, milk the club for 5 years and turn away GOOD players because it may involve taking his son's place out of the team.

Ridiculous.

Unfortunately, we're now stuck with a manager for 5 years that will continue to play his son, milk the club for 5 years and turn away GOOD players because it may involve taking his son's place out of the team.

Ridiculous.

I'm not sure if it is just me but that statement seems abit harsh on GJ.

Ridiculous.

So you are saying that when we got promotion fron league one that you expected us to win the Chanpionship? Don't make I laugh.

I entirely agree with you my friend

Just about to post the same thing. Didnt want to upset the OTIB happy clappys!!!!! :clapping:

I've kept quiet because unless you wanna bum johnson you'll get slated on here.

Very bad move to give GJ 5 years. He's now guaranteed his money no matter how well city do and since his new contract we've been crap. Coincidence? i don't think so?

Consolidation is the best we can hope for this season.

I don't think it was a bad move to give gary the 5year deal but you are right to many people on here suck up to these people but anyway it was a move that means at least we will have a manager for a while whether we like it or not. I would rather have Gary and finish around 18th than have to go through the season with a temporary manager and inconsistent performances.

people seriously need to get a grip on this forum! a bad week at the office and now questioning whether GJ is the man for the job and saying now he has his 5 year deal he will just stop trying for results and milk the cash?!!

Yeah exactly people are talking like we are in turmoil, ridiculous! Get over yourselfs!!

So you are saying that when we got promotion fron league one that you expected us to win the Chanpionship? Don't make I laugh.

No, I am just saying that i'm sick of this GJ love in all the time.

He is a manger that took us out of league 1..........yes. But, I think this would have happened anyway no matter who we had in charge.

If anyone should get the praise for where we are at the moment, it should be Stephen lansdown.

I don't expect us to win the championship, but I expect us to compete.

At the moment, we have a manager who is guaranteed work for the next 5 years, who refuses to pick his best players, who will not drop his son (who is quite honestly an average midfield footballer), who slags of 75% of the fans, who will not take criticism, who cannot take the truth.........the list goes on and on.

people seriously need to get a grip on this forum! a bad week at the office and now questioning whether GJ is the man for the job and saying now he has his 5 year deal he will just stop trying for results and milk the cash?!!

Nah don't think anybodys suggesting that, but imagine getting a VERY LARGE amount of money for five years, don't you think it would change your attitude at work ?

I think GJ has been great for BCFC but I feel football has put managers and players on pedestals for so long now they lose all perspective, as supporters we have created our own monsters.

He is a manger that took us out of league 1..........yes. But, I think this would have happened anyway no matter who we had in charge.

Fantastic comment, as we absolutely stormed it in the previous NINE years at that level under Pulis, Wilson and Tinnion, didn't we?

Yes he can but he needs to reavaluate, be honest and professional.

Professional football is not a family concern it is a competive hero one minute, villian the next environment - unless you are Joe Kinnear, well you might as well forget it bleep, bleep!!!!

I think he needs to understand that many loyal players have possiable reached their peak and will struggle to go further. if he is prepared to be as ruthless as he was when he first took over the club then ha can and I beleive will succeed.

However if this summers lack of sensiable and realistic squad strenghtning countinues past theh January window then I think this marrage made in heaven may need councilling.

No, I am just saying that i'm sick of this GJ love in all the time.

If anyone should get the praise for where we are at the moment, it should be Stephen lansdown.

I don't expect us to win the championship, but I expect us to compete.

At the moment, we have a manager who is guaranteed work for the next 5 years, who refuses to pick his best players, who will not drop his son (who is quite honestly an average midfield footballer), who slags of 75% of the fans, who will not take criticism, who cannot take the truth.........the list goes on and on.

Sorry but GJ has helped turn bristol city from

a club where players came for a good pay day and good nights out

into a very professional outfit

I agree his son should be dropped

75% of city fans deserve to be slagged off

the slightist thing goes wrong and they moan

and don't get behind the team

You only had to be at plymouth tuesday to see that!!

refuses to pick his best players? who? again its your opinion.

which other fans has GJ slagged off apart from the 2 idiots who were abusing him and his son?

I agree, this post is getting silly now. Granted we are on poor form, but from the first block of 10 games we are mid-table. People need to remember the years of crap we had before GJ before slating him.

I agree, this post is getting silly now. Granted we are on poor form, but from the first block of 10 games we are mid-table. People need to remember the years of crap we had before GJ before slating him.

precisely! can one of the mods merge all these threads into one? getting boring now

The last three games have yielded 1 point from 15 and 2 goals scored vs 7 conceded. Undeniable facts.

IMO too many players who were immense last season haven't shown the same form due to injury and other factors, and I'd include Basso, McIndoe, Orr and Johnson in that assessment perhaps even Louis Carey (which feels like sacriledge). Saying we miss Elliot is like stating Rovers are sh1t, bloody obvious!! Sproule and Skuse are also not consistently good enough, sadly.

Last seaon was a freak season in this league.The heavyweight big spending ex Prem teams with large followings and rich traditions are taking their place as anticipated in the upper reaches of the league.

Brum retained their big guns, Reading only lost a couple, and Wolves have bought extremely well. We bought two young strikers, a raw novice and a League One striker with a good pedigree at that level. We then signed Williams, surely the last ex-Yeovil player capable of being signed by GJ, and on recent evidence, no Nick Carle, more like a Paul Mortimer; good when fit but not fit often enough.

Losing McCombe and Riberio, were unexpected blows particularly as the latter looked so promising and will be out for too long.

I believe that this will be the real test of Johnson's managerial quality. Over the last two years we built up a phenomenal momentum and the promotion followed by a play-off final raised our previously sorry expectations to unforseen levels.

I cannot underestimate a man who kept our support onside when we lost 9 in a row in his early days as boss.that in itself was miraculous!! However we cannot afford to slip back too far and we are already 10 points behind Birmingham.

Cometh the hour cometh the man.I still hope that is Gary Johnson.

Ridiculous.

Ridiculous! Do you mean as in your statement, I have highlighted?

Archived