IGNORED

If Carlsberg Did Chairman

westy

'City's chairman has revealed in Q & A sessions with fans that the club's wage bill has risen from £2.5m a year to £6m a year since promotion to the Championship.'

This other detail was quite interesting too. (!)

As for the shares, Steve Lansdown is positioning himself to own the entire club. other shareholders cannot compete with his clout. and yes, he doesn't have to put up the money, but I'm sure he he knows will make a tasty profit were he to sell to one of the many foreign consortiums sniffing around football these days.

I'm sure he is a 'fan' as well, but he's not a financial fool.

Q: how do you make a small fortune from football?

A: Start with a much larger one.

Mike Ashley at Newcastle is an interesting one too. yes, he's poured a lot of his own cash into the club, but he's still asking for a selling price that will net him a good 50M profit.

'City's chairman has revealed in Q & A sessions with fans that the club's wage bill has risen from £2.5m a year to £6m a year since promotion to the Championship.'

This other detail was quite interesting too. (!)

As for the shares, Steve Lansdown is positioning himself to own the entire club. other shareholders cannot compete with his clout. and yes, he doesn't have to put up the money, but I'm sure he he knows will make a tasty profit were he to sell to one of the many foreign consortiums sniffing around football these days.

I'm sure he is a 'fan' as well, but he's not a financial fool.

Q: how do you make a small fortune from football?

A: Start with a much larger one.

Mike Ashley at Newcastle is an interesting one too. yes, he's poured a lot of his own cash into the club, but he's still asking for a selling price that will net him a good 50M profit.

very cynical pal - miss the point and West Ham is prob for sale for a fraction of NU so Ashley can take a running jump BUT more importantly I don't believe SL got involved in the club years ago to make shed loads of cash - he supports the club and sees the growth as good for Bristol as a whole and I feel it is just one of his ambitions to get us to the premier league.

very cynical pal - miss the point and West Ham is prob for sale for a fraction of NU so Ashley can take a running jump BUT more importantly I don't believe SL got involved in the club years ago to make shed loads of cash - he supports the club and sees the growth as good for Bristol as a whole and I feel it is just one of his ambitions to get us to the premier league.

I don't think I'm really being that cynical. For starters I accept that he puts up his hard earned (!) cash whereas many wouldn't do it. He doesn't have to.

If SL takes the genuinely, purely alturistic line that getting BCFC into the prem would be good for everyone then fab, but really, really do you think anyone would spend several million of their own cash for that alone? - 'fraid I don't.

It might well be an ambition, but that doesn't mean he has an exit strategy too.

West Ham are my second club (due to me being given an action man west ham kit as a lad - still got it somewhere!!) and the result of reckless investement will cost them dear, I guess it points to prudence as being the better option, a line SL has clearly taken.

I've said this before but my worry with the club is that we continually see £1M ish losses come what may. good season , poor season, whatever. nothing we do seems to influence the ongoing need for SL to dip into his pocket, aquiring more shares in the club as he goes. However SL is the main driver behind any financial decisions made by the club. so in many ways he is responsible for the need to put more cash in. So I kind of feel torn between a degree of gratitude for bailing us out, but also doubt about why the losses are being made in the first instance.

At what point should be breaking even, or do we accept that we never will, in which case... well - make your own minds up!

(I accept this argument has run and run, I didn't want to kick start it again. - sorry)

Does this money go directly into BCFC and financing players and their wages or strengthens the Chairmans hold over other areas?

I am under the impression that his loans are converted to stock in the company. Therefore his holding increases.

If this isn't the case then please say!

Its too much of a coincidence it must have been to cover the maynard deal!

Still good news though and lets hope he buys some more shares in January!!!!!

:englandsmile4wf:

I think you will find that transfer fees are covered seperately from the day to day running costs of BCFC, how the 2.3m will be spent?? your guess is as good as the next

• Admin
I don't think I'm really being that cynical. For starters I accept that he puts up his hard earned (!) cash whereas many wouldn't do it. He doesn't have to.

If SL takes the genuinely, purely alturistic line that getting BCFC into the prem would be good for everyone then fab, but really, really do you think anyone would spend several million of their own cash for that alone? - 'fraid I don't.

Without inside or first hand knowledge, it's my understanding that, that's exactly what Jack Walker did at Blackburn, fulfilled a dream as a fan by buying the Premier League title. (And if one newspaper article I read was true, he left a trust fund for Blackburn in his will)

I've no idea of Steve's motives, but I somehow doubt he looks on City as a lucrative investment, it would seem to be an expensive hobby, as a fan.

Archived