IGNORED

Worst City Games

Grove Park Red

Following the best City games topic I wonder if anyone could name their worst.

I'd imagine Northampton (A) in '82 would be up there, anyone on here go and would like to talk about it ? Similarly Corinthian Casuals (A) in the Cup was pretty bad from what I've been told.

Notts County (H 0-2) in the FA Cup in '05 was the worst performance I can remember.

Following the best City games topic I wonder if anyone could name their worst.

I'd imagine Northampton (A) in '82 would be up there, anyone on here go and would like to talk about it ? Similarly Corinthian Casuals (A) in the Cup was pretty bad from what I've been told.

Notts County (H 0-2) in the FA Cup in '05 was the worst performance I can remember.

Corinthian Casuals was very bad, there was a thread about it recently.

Northampton was apparently diabolical, luckily I had the flu and missed it.

I remember a few matches that are right up there:

Shrewsbury (a) Either 4th division or on our way down from the 3rd. Horrible weather, about 150 of us stuck behind a high fence in the rain and wind. We were on a terrible run as usual, getting relegated every season and were about 5 down. The City fans started doing a conga and singing, "We've got the worst team in the land", and we did have.

Wimbledon (a) Sunny day at Plough Lane, so hot and uninteresting we were all sitting on the terrace with many lying down and falling asleep. Brothers Errington and Nyrere Kelly were leading our "attack" and City weren't very good, at all.

Walsall(a) Play off final replay. Having come back to equalise on the same ground a couple of days earlier, we managed to concede 3 in the first 20 minutes. Shutt was sent off near the end for punching their goalkeeper and all hell broke loose after the game.

Crewe (a) About 1984. A car load of us set off at lunchtime in reasonable spirits. Only about 100 City fans there, again behind a huge fence. Lost 3 or 4-0 and there was even a "mob" of Crewe fans in the enclosure taking the p*** out of us. Miserable cold night and a long journey home.

Norwich (a) First division days. We thought it would be a good idea to visit a mate at Norwich University and make a weekend of it. Must have been December 1979 and if it was cold in Bristol it was absolutely freezing in Norwich. Me and one mate decided to go in the "City End" while the rest dispersed themselves in one of the enclosures. Other City fans must have had the same idea as our friends because there were just THREE other City fans (all with London accents?) in our section which was a divided covered end with hundreds of Norwich fans with contorted faces pressed up to the other side of the fence shouting abuse at us for 90 minutes. The wind was blowing straight at us, City lost, and we were frozen half to death.

Wrexham(a) F.A. Cup replay, late 70's. City had made a late comeback to draw the first game at AG 4-4. We'd already been to Wrexham a few weeks earlier to get knocked out of the League Cup so we thought we'd travel up again for revenge. City lost about 3-0 to be giant killed by the lower division team again and there we were in Wrexham at 10pm on a midweek night, yet again cold and miserable. Made all the worse after being there on the same terrace watching us lose just a few weeks earlier.

One or two games at Trumpton weren't too good either.

Sunderland at home in Rumbelows League cup 6-1 (Marco Gabbiadini scored 3 or 4)

Newcastle at home in FA Cup 0-5?

More recently Plymouth 1st half - just TERRIBLE.

In my opinion, this is no where near one of the worst, and I am guessing you mean the League Cup: I accept that we got battered, but it was by a team that was way better than us. Without thinking about it, Luton away 2005, Shrewsbury away 1995, and Brentford away 1992 were all worse than that Newcastle game.

In my opinion, this is no where near one of the worst, and I am guessing you mean the League Cup: I accept that we got battered, but it was by a team that was way better than us. Without thinking about it, Luton away 2005, Shrewsbury away 1995, and Brentford away 1992 were all worse than that Newcastle game.

I accept your point. But from my perspective, as i rarely travel to away games, these were amongst the worst home performances I can remember.

In truth I haven't seen City beat by more than 2-0 away from home, Although Leicester away in the League about 1991 was pretty poor (Julian Joachim brace I think)

Wolves 6-1 at home last time we were in the division and the 5-0 defeat to Bradford the game before.

Gee thanks!!

The Wolves game had been completely bannished to the deep dark recesses of my tiny mind.

Other poor performances against Wolves that I remember 78/79(?) Steve Daley scored for 1-0 win in about the 90th minute in a dour match.

Also a 3-1 defeat at Molineaux in about 1993(?) Matt Hewlett played which may well have been his debut (I thought someone else made their debut in that game as well but can't remember)

I accept your point. But from my perspective, as i rarely travel to away games, these were amongst the worst home performances I can remember.

In truth I haven't seen City beat by more than 2-0 away from home, Although Leicester away in the League about 1991 was pretty poor (Julian Joachim brace I think)

if it is the one I am thinking of, then December 1993, and finsihed 0-3. can't recall how bad we played, but I do vaguely recollect one of Joachim's being a decent strike.

if it is the one I am thinking of, then December 1993, and finsihed 0-3. can't recall how bad we played, but I do vaguely recollect one of Joachim's being a decent strike.

can't remember the year notts county away 0-0 we had no shots on goal and we all got hailstoned on in there shit away end!!

Surprised nobody has mentioned Tins last game as manager at Swansea, although I wasn't there so not counting it.

Apart from games already mentioned, Bournemouth away in the FA Cup a few years back was pretty dire. A Sunday lunchtime kickoff because we were on TV (I think), freezing cold, pissed down on us in the open terrace all game and we lost 3-1. The same day Billy Bremner died.

I also remember a Leyland Daf game at Oxford where the crowd barely scraped over a thousand and Mark Aizlewood skied a penalty so high I'm sure I remember it hitting the roof of the stand behind the goal. We went in a pub by the ground before the game and got given free tickets too! I'm sure I remember a thread a couple of years back that included this game amongst the five lowest crowds City had ever played in front of.

Guest pepsi&shirley
can't remember the year notts county away 0-0 we had no shots on goal and we all got hailstoned on in there shit away end!!

You can't remember it but you remember their was no shot's on goal, the hailstones and their shit away end..

Just imagine if you could remember it :noexpression:

Think that it was Wyatt's debut too. And was also Abdul Kamara's sole City game

I reckon you could be right OTIK. I was racking my brains to think of the other debutant that day and came up with the name Graham Underhill.

Looking him up on City stats though he only played one game and that was alot earlier.

I'm sure I saw his only game - anyone remember where it was?

I was at Wolves that day after my wife and I decided to go on the spur of the moment in the morning. Ended up in a sparsely populated Wolves stand where a couple of Wolves middle aged nutters decided to shower us with abuse and threats even though we had no colours and were keeping quiet.

Nasty place, really nasty fans, miserable day. Hate Wolves with a passion.

I reckon you could be right OTIK. I was racking my brains to think of the other debutant that day and came up with the name Graham Underhill.

Looking him up on City stats though he only played one game and that was alot earlier.

I'm sure I saw his only game - anyone remember where it was?

I was at Wolves that day after my wife and I decided to go on the spur of the moment in the morning. Ended up in a sparsely populated Wolves stand where a couple of Wolves middle aged nutters decided to shower us with abuse and threats even though we had no colours and were keeping quiet.

Nasty place, really nasty fans, miserable day. Hate Wolves with a passion.

2-1 defeat at Wolves 22 March 1986. Impressive turnout of 3,696.

Looking up this game I stumbled across another one that I had blocked out: a 0-1 defeat at Watford in 1995: we still had a mathematical chance of staying up, but I recall us being utterly devoid of passion. We then lost home to Reading the next week, and I remember some people making the laughable guesture of throwing (now worthless) season ticket books at Tinnion.

2-1 defeat at Wolves 22 March 1986. Impressive turnout of 3,696.

Thanks OTIK, so it was at Wolves - I must have been there then and that's the game I was thinking of. It does sound a more likely date thinking about it as we had young children by '93 and we wouldn't have been going to an away match together.

Is that the away fans total or the whole crowd - I don't remember much of an away following, and I did say it was a sparsely populated Wolves stand - but that just seems ridiculous.

City 1 Fulham 5 - would have been about 1988 I reckon, maybe a bit later.

Memory not quite what it used to be, but I'm pretty certain we were the better team for long spells of that game, and Fulham scored with just about every attack.

Anyone remember that one?

City 1 Fulham 5 - would have been about 1988 I reckon, maybe a bit later.

Memory not quite what it used to be, but I'm pretty certain we were the better team for long spells of that game, and Fulham scored with just about every attack.

Anyone remember that one?

Yes, it was in the Jordan era in 1988. Your memory of the game is not so good though - City were outplayed from start to finish and took a real battering in the 2nd half. John Marshall was outstanding in the Fulham midfield and ran the show that day.

It's one of the few times I've seen a City team basically 'give-up' during a game. I think it's the only time I've felt compelled to go to the tunnel at the end of a game to cheer the away side off the pitch and have a vent at my own team who were totally spineless that day.

Personally, I think any defeat against the GAS automatically ranks as one of the worst games irrespective of the performance.

True, and any win would come under the best game thread.

Fortunately I have only ever witnessed one defeat to our old rivals, 0-1 at AG in '87, Gary Smart scored at the end after we'd battered them.

Yes, it was in the Jordan era in 1988. Your memory of the game is not so good though - City were outplayed from start to finish and took a real battering in the 2nd half. John Marshall was outstanding in the Fulham midfield and ran the show that day.

It's one of the few times I've seen a City team basically 'give-up' during a game. I think it's the only time I've felt compelled to go to the tunnel at the end of a game to cheer the away side off the pitch and have a vent at my own team who were totally spineless that day.

Maybe the Blackthorn kicked in before the 2nd half started!

I remember Marshall having a good game though! Good memory mate!

Archived