IGNORED

"resting" Adebola & Half-hearted Players

Olé

It wasn't close in any part of the game. A thoroughly embarrassing performance. We were a yard off the pace at both ends, ponderous in possession, and most unforgivably, the players didn't look interested. Lee Johnson reached his lowest ebb as far as contribution to the team and involvement on either side of the ball (he was non-existent) and Michael McIndoe was wildly erratic to the point of being a liability, even if it's because he's trying to do to much. And our defence didn't even show up.

I was amazed we made four changes after a creditable result against a decent Sheffield United team, but I swore that I would contain my frustrations until I was certain it was all to do with injuries. When I learn now that Adebola was 'rested' (a ridiculous excuse at this point in the season for indulging in team tinkering) I have to shake my head in disbelief. His absence was critical to the whole sorry show as we failed to hold any balls up and thus rarely developed anything that could be described as possession.

It was only when Akinde came on (our only positive performance of the day) that we actually won headers, held forward balls up and brought other players into play. What I can't understand is how Johnson thought it was possible to do without an Adebola presence (knowing how lightweight Maynard has been all season) and then take until 4-0 down to rectify the situation with Akinde. We might as well have sent McCombe up front after 25 minutes to be a target man, it wasn't like he was being any use at the back.

Horrible result and really have been left absolutely stunned by the lack of logic or common sense in the team selection and the way we setup. No manager is beyond reproach however great they are for our club and this wasn't just a bad day for Johnson, it was an absolute joke, he played two attacking wingers but no one who could effectively hold the ball up front and bring them into play. What was the point? Where was the possession coming from? Not the players actually selected, as they didn't look interested.

Dele Adebola? Stern John did more in this 4 nil defeat than dele has all season.

Exactly, John was the only good thing out of a terrible performance today. He has a great first touch and also seems to have a bit of pace about him aswell. I really hope he signs permantly as i think that could signal the end for Dele.

I thought the worst players today were ;

Mccombe - Couldnt deal with Doyle, had aterrible game.

Wilson - Couldn't cope either but is out of position.

Johnson - Too lightweight and simply not good enough.

Sproule - Worst player on the pitch.

Maynard - Need to give him time but at the moment he is too lightweight and the games are passing him by.

Orr - At fault for second goal and off the pace.

However, all those texts coming through Radio Bristol saying Johnson should be sacked is laughable, however he needs to change things quickly.

To summarise ; The worst performance since the League One days, and Reading were just too good.

how the HELL Maynard had more reason to be upfront then Trundle or Akinde i will never know

So lightweight, + the way we've been playing it in the air recently wouldn't have suited him against two huge centre backs like Readings in any way, shape or form

Maynard has looked good off the bench lately, especially when given the right service. Today he was given zero service.

John looked Very Good and was on of the few (if not the only) bright spark of today.

As for Dele, he's not getting any younger, has been subbed early in a few games recently, he clearly needed a rest, also after 2 0-0 draws, the strikers were always going to be changed, with John not able to play next week, today was the ideal chance to give him a rest in time for Southampton

Maynard has looked good off the bench lately, especially when given the right service. Today he was given zero service.

I don't think since Maynard has joined (bar the antrweerp game) he has had a clear run on goal. Balls are never slide through to him and people expect the lad to magically score.

The only postive was that Stern John seemed to be on the same wave length as Nicky and at times they looked good together.

I thought the worst players today were ;

Mccombe - Couldnt deal with Doyle, had aterrible game.

Wilson - Couldn't cope either but is out of position.

Johnson - Too lightweight and simply not good enough.

Sproule - Worst player on the pitch.

Maynard - Need to give him time but at the moment he is too lightweight and the games are passing him by.

Orr - At fault for second goal and off the pace.

However, all those texts coming through Radio Bristol saying Johnson should be sacked is laughable, however he needs to change things quickly.

To summarise ; The worst performance since the League One days, and Reading were just too good.

agree with all that.

to be fair to McCombe, he's never great against Pacey Forwards and I don't think many defenders without prem experience can deal with an On-Form Kevin Doyle.

LJ, Sproule, Orr, Elliott all terrible.

Sproule - fed up of him, nothing more than a pacey sub,

LJ - poor yet again, hasn't played well since Charlton, need more than midfield who only turns up for one in five games

Elliott - poor again, doesn't look the same player as last season, hopefully it's just a fitness issue

Orr - think he's been poor this season, 110% effort, but more than that is needed at this level, would prefer Wilson at Right Back

We've no idea if Maynards capable of doing what he's paid for. Gets a service of long punts upfield or balls played to him at knee/waist/chin height which he's somehow supposed to control. One thing I do know, he didn't step aside and let Reading run through' us, that was the entire midfield, or lose possession in his own half and gift Reading a goal, that was McIndoe, Orr and Wilson twice in no particular order.

No backbone, no committment, no leaders on or off the pitch. Someone made a comparison between McCombe and Shaun Taylor on the site during the week. Don't think so.

To be honest all though the service has been poor, Stern John showed us how to control a ball he looked different class to maynard, Maynard weather you all like it or not has been very very poor, his touch, he falls over all the time, his confidence all time low for me.........Akinde in the couple of games he has come on has looked a far better prospect......

Akinde and john up front ..loan maynard out (simply dosent look good enough)

yeah it was harsh, but you get my point. Dele's replacement looked better than him - cant see how we missed him.

Excellent. You're still able to be completely wrong.

Adebola was easily up there alongside Williams for man of the match away to Charlton and dominated their defence, coming out of it with both assists.

Unfortunately we seem to have adjusted our game for a big target man and when we don't have one on the field we seem a bit clueless. This time last season we were playing good passing football ON THE FLOOR. Bradley Orr is a good example - one of our standouts last season, this season he only seems capable of playing long floated balls towards the front men.

I also thought that Basso's kicking was very poor today.

Definitely not great today, and of course, if John keeps playing well, we might get outbid in January. The next two games are crucial, and we need to break two jinxes. We have not beaten Forest over 90 minutes since 1974, and every time we have played at St Marys, we have been truly pathetic and lost! :whistle2: Win them both, and we will be in, or very close to a play-off place, lose both, and trips to the Gas and Swindon will be too close for comfort!

Definitely not great today, and of course, if John keeps playing well, we might get outbid in January. The next two games are crucial, and we need to break two jinxes. We have not beaten Forest over 90 minutes since 1974, and every time we have played at St Marys, we have been truly pathetic and lost! :whistle2: Win them both, and we will be in, or very close to a play-off place, lose both, and trips to the Gas and Swindon will be too close for comfort!

Very true. And I don't think people realise this. November is a huge month for us!

maynard, sproule, lee johnson in the same team was far too lightweight. Sproule should only ever come on as sub, if at all. Maynard offers nothing to the team and it seems as we have wasted 2.25 mill, wherehas Stern John looked sharp and effective and looks like he would have been a far better signing.

Lee Johnson is an untenable position given the claims of biased selection, father / son in the same team will always be hard.

Can someone tell me if Webster is injured? Why would you buy a recognised centre half and not play him? He could of went in the middle with fonts at left back. Brian Wilson is a poor left back, not his fault, he had to keep turning inside which starved the left flank of any play, and was hesitant.

It wasn't close in any part of the game. A thoroughly embarrassing performance. We were a yard off the pace at both ends, ponderous in possession, and most unforgivably, the players didn't look interested. Lee Johnson reached his lowest ebb as far as contribution to the team and involvement on either side of the ball (he was non-existent) and Michael McIndoe was wildly erratic to the point of being a liability, even if it's because he's trying to do to much. And our defence didn't even show up.

I was amazed we made four changes after a creditable result against a decent Sheffield United team, but I swore that I would contain my frustrations until I was certain it was all to do with injuries. When I learn now that Adebola was 'rested' (a ridiculous excuse at this point in the season for indulging in team tinkering) I have to shake my head in disbelief. His absence was critical to the whole sorry show as we failed to hold any balls up and thus rarely developed anything that could be described as possession.

It was only when Akinde came on (our only positive performance of the day) that we actually won headers, held forward balls up and brought other players into play. What I can't understand is how Johnson thought it was possible to do without an Adebola presence (knowing how lightweight Maynard has been all season) and then take until 4-0 down to rectify the situation with Akinde. We might as well have sent McCombe up front after 25 minutes to be a target man, it wasn't like he was being any use at the back.

Horrible result and really have been left absolutely stunned by the lack of logic or common sense in the team selection and the way we setup. No manager is beyond reproach however great they are for our club and this wasn't just a bad day for Johnson, it was an absolute joke, he played two attacking wingers but no one who could effectively hold the ball up front and bring them into play. What was the point? Where was the possession coming from? Not the players actually selected, as they didn't look interested.

:clapping: An excellent write up. If Gary Johnson thinks the crowd reaction to his team's crap performance was out of order then I wonder how he'd cope as a Liverpool, Man U or England manager ???!!!! The red halves of Liverpool and Manchester would want blood after seeing their team give that kind of performance.

I really think that the players that didn't perform against Reading yesterday should apologize to Steve Lansdown who's bankrolling them. To be honest, if I was one of them I'd be ashamed to draw my wages - they did a bum job and must atone for their crap performance by helping to crush Forest and Southampton in the next games.

Dele Adebola? Stern John did more in this 4 nil defeat than dele has all season.

In an attacking sense Stern John was the best of a bad bunch but to suggest he held the ball up with his back to goal in a manner which brought the wingers and midfield into the game, is laughable. Gary Johnson said something similar about Stern John holding the ball up and to be honest I think I was watching a different game.

Dele Adebola does a better job than anyone in this division of retaining possession in an attacking area and allowing his team mates to develop some sustained possession. It's not the most glamorous role but it seemed obvious to me that this was what we were sorely lacking when Reading just kept coming back at us.

The real story here is that no player needs resting at this stage of the season and to describe it as that is patronising in the extreme. The truth is that Stern John can't play next week so Gary figured he'd mix it up and give him this week and Dele next week. If it works he's a genius, either way I think its pretty amateurish tinkering.

:clapping: An excellent write up. If Gary Johnson thinks the crowd reaction to his team's crap performance was out of order then I wonder how he'd cope as a Liverpool, Man U or England manager ???!!!! The red halves of Liverpool and Manchester would want blood after seeing their team give that kind of performance.

I really think that the players that didn't perform against Reading yesterday should apologize to Steve Lansdown who's bankrolling them. To be honest, if I was one of them I'd be ashamed to draw my wages - they did a bum job and must atone for their crap performance by helping to crush Forest and Southampton in the next games.

I think Judge Jefferies should pay a visit to Ashton Gate.

to say i was disapoineted is an understatement the whole team was bad very bad and thay all know that....LJ is a good player he can play football he needs to know his place is up for grabs also..and thats part of the problem..noble should be starting games then we might get the best out of LJ. we need to get back as a unit again...the team needs something to get them ticking again someone to work with gary j...a good number 2..i love bristol city and anyone who knows me knows i do....i want GJ to take us all the way but he needs someone with him, he might be his own man and all that, but how long have we being watching bristol city...i never thought i would ever say this but i think ian hollaway working alongside GJ could do something for our football no one is bigger than our football club..laugh you may other football clubs can do it so why cant bristol city. football has moved on and we must move with the times..where talking about football..and i know lots of hard core fans who thinks the same way but wont say it...[

4- Nil !!!

Leave early did we?

stern john stood out in a poor team yesterday - lots of good touches and more importantly intelligent MOVEMENT - a big weakness for Dele.

No i would'nt leave early, unless i had a proper reason.

Archived