IGNORED

Possible Midfield Targets?

formerly known as ivan

Yep, central midfield. We had this position well sorted with Marvin Elliott, Nick Carle, Lee Johnson and David Noble able to play there. Now Nick Carle's been sold, Lee Johnson's been found to be not good enough in that position against the better teams, Marvin Elliott's not back to his brilliance of last season and Gary Johnson never starts the game with David Noble. :noexpression:

Someone on the same wavelength!

Assuming for some reason that gattuso doesnt want to come to us, who would you go for instead?

Its funny how much doherty resembles gattuso, when tommy used to play for NI I wished they would play italy so those 2 were in direct opposition! I wouldnt have fancied being caught up in the middle of that! I remember in a champions league final a few years ago, I think Juventus v milan, and Juventus had a corner deep into extra time, which was cleared, and Gattuso went haring off after the ball, closing down the opposition defenders on the half way line and ended up winning it back, it was like Beckham for england against greece. He really is awesome - the best defensive midfielder in the world IMHO.

Tommy did actually play against Italy for Northern Ireland, unfortunately Gattuso wasn't playing.....no doubt he bottled it..... :innocent06:

looking back at Tommy's international record, he played against Italy, Serbia, Spain (where he was man of the match) and England.......not a bad international career, never quite understood why he quit international football.

Hossam Ghaly is amazing on fifa 09 and very cheap hahahaaa

In all seriousness what about mark yates, lower divison so may be a maynard but could get him cheap surely. he is an attacking mid-fielder from what i heard and colin wa*ker was after him if i remember rightly, it was either him or carle (NOT MAKING IT INTO A CARLE TOPIC!) :laugh:

Nick Carle sold and David Noble never starts, two of the greatest mysteries at this club considering what they both did for this club in the pray-offs at Palarse last season........

davidnoble_wideweb__470x352,0.jpg

Mysteries are easily solved if you are prepared to look at the clues!

Nick Carle sold cos Gavin Williams is better.

David Noble never starts cos he's seldom fit and allways injured.

"There you are mystery solved!" said the bald headed super sleuth, unwrapping another lolly!

"who luvs ya baby?"

:disapointed2se:

so january comes around and LJ has moved on cus of the idiots in the crowd, which other midfielders out there would you like to come in? my list would be...

mccann (burnley)

garvin (ipswich)

surman (southampton)

gibson (man u, possible loan till end of season)

Rasmus Elm, Kalmar FF, tenth the cost of a English player.

But who cares? We wan't some British meat who can kick the ball up the stands : )

Rasmus Elm, Kalmar FF, tenth the cost of a English player.

But who cares? We wan't some British meat who can kick the ball up the stands : )

there is obviously so fantastic young talent in scandinavia and would be well worth the cost of a coutiing trip over there. cant see it happening though which is a shame. could be able to pick up the next larsson or ljunberg.

Tommy Smith from Watford = plays right wing, can go past players & has an eye for goal. having endured the Boothroyd regime I think its save to say he will have a decent "work ethic" too. The added bonus is that Watford are skint so he would probably be available for a decent fee.

I honestly think if we signed Ben Watson, within 3 months he'd be a scapegoat on here.

so january comes around and LJ has moved on cus of the idiots in the crowd, which other midfielders out there would you like to come in? my list would be...

mccann (burnley)

garvin (ipswich)

surman (southampton)

gibson (man u, possible loan till end of season)

Takes money to bring in anyone with those reps, and in view of todays news, I wonder how much would be available?

SL is great but can't bankroll us for ever - i'd love to know what the squad is earning because maybe GJ will have to wheel and deal and offload a few before people can be brought in - he will need to find £500k pa for Stern John..

Nick Carle sold and David Noble never starts, two of the greatest mysteries at this club considering what they both did for this club in the pray-offs at Palarse last season........

Thats was a sweet, sweet moment....still waiting for the Carle replacement though.

Watson expected (or at least his agent did) a queue of clubs fighting over him when he asked for a transfer. He went so far as saying he would not leave London, presumably because he expected anybody from QPR to Chelsea to come in for him. Palace got no bids anywhere near their valuation according to Colin. No doubting his ability but I do wonder why nobody pushed the boat out for him.

Forest had a bid of £2M accepted by Palace, but the player turned it down.

Forest had a bid of £2M accepted by Palace, but the player turned it down.

Interesting. If so it reinforces the point about not leaving London. Though he is also unlikely to have seen Forest as a step up and the same would apply to us I imagine. But again it begs the question why such a talented player did not attract more bids at what is hardly an outrageous price.

Interesting. If so it reinforces the point about not leaving London. Though he is also unlikely to have seen Forest as a step up and the same would apply to us I imagine. But again it begs the question why such a talented player did not attract more bids at what is hardly an outrageous price.

London is the key thing for Watson, unless a prem club comes in then he's likely to be tempted.

He was clearly holding out for a move to money bags QPR, but it never happened, personally I wouldn't be too suprised to see him move to Fulham in Jan or someone similar, maybe even West Ham.

We are well out of the running to even stand a chance of getting him.

Surman continues to impress for the saints and they are broke, would be nice.

said it before, will say it again......andrew surman, though the other lad Lallana, looks like he's going to be a VERY good player in the future, though I think he's already one that will be out of our league.

Agreed, both cracking players with bundles of skill, positional awareness and energy - and Surman - goal scoring MF(1 in 6ish), just surprised that nobody has got him before now to be honest.

I suspect that a combination of not being in London and not looking like we were going to trouble the promotion race this season were the reasons why. If you're challenging in January you'll probably stand a much better chance, but he'll want big money and so will Palace.

said it before, will say it again......andrew surman, though the other lad Lallana, looks like he's going to be a VERY good player in the future, though I think he's already one that will be out of our league.

spurs are apparently after lallana, but saints have said they want the same for him as they got for walcott. think he is certainly not a possibility

Thats was a sweet, sweet moment....still waiting for the Carle replacement though.

At least the powers that be at this club have taken some notice of our posts by actually starting David Noble against Southampton. David Noble set up the manager's son for the winning goal. :icecream: Like you, I'm still waiting for the Nick Carle replacement though. :innocent06:

just going by saturdays game. taking the goal out of the equation, johnson outplayed both surman and lallana

Now, I am an Lj fan, but you really think he was better than Surman on Saturday?

Personally thought LJ had an OK game on Saturday, but he has played a lot better than that this season and come in for heavier critiscm. I feel that a lot of people have been "blinded" by the fact that he scored a goal rather than looking at his overall performance.

Archived