IGNORED

The Best Thing Now ... For Southampton....

The Chaplain

It seems things have got pretty negative on here the last few days, perhaps not surprisingly after a big home defeat. if 'Always Believing' means anthing though the question is what's the best, most productive, thing we can do, as supporterrs to fuel belief, encouragement and confidence for the next game?

Last year at St. Mary's was a similar embarrassment on and off the pitch, we can't let that happen again. For what it's worth, my view as to the best thing we could do would be to turn up, and sing as loud as possible in support of the whole team in general and Lee Johnson in particular. I don't want to get into the whole LJ debate but he seems to have become the focal point for a lot of the negativity. imagine the message it would send if we all sang a song for him (I don't think I've heard one, although I did get excited at one point when I mis-heard the words to 'We Love you Johnson' against Sheff. Utd last week). We can't pick the team but if Lee's playing, or not, to support him at this time would be seen as a vote of confidence in the whole team, the management and the club, and a clear statement against the boo-boys, who presumably will be spending their Sat. afternoon at the rugby ground next week.

As I said this isn't an appeal to change minds about LJ's merits or otherwise - we've all got an opinion on that and thats fine. It just seems to me that if those who don't believe he ought to be in the team join with those who do in singing his name at this game, it would be the most positive statement of belief we could make and provide trhe most effective support we possibly could, which would encourage the team and the club to the maximun at a crucial time, when we've got a run of 4 games against lower table opposition. Surely thats our role, as fans.

It seems things have got pretty negative on here the last few days, perhaps not surprisingly after a big home defeat. if 'Always Believing' means anthing though the question is what's the best, most productive, thing we can do, as supporterrs to fuel belief, encouragement and confidence for the next game?

Last year at St. Mary's was a similar embarrassment on and off the pitch, we can't let that happen again. For what it's worth, my view as to the best thing we could do would be to turn up, and sing as loud as possible in support of the whole team in general and Lee Johnson in particular. I don't want to get into the whole LJ debate but he seems to have become the focal point for a lot of the negativity. imagine the message it would send if we all sang a song for him (I don't think I've heard one, although I did get excited at one point when I mis-heard the words to 'We Love you Johnson' against Sheff. Utd last week). We can't pick the team but if Lee's playing, or not, to support him at this time would be seen as a vote of confidence in the whole team, the management and the club, and a clear statement against the boo-boys, who presumably will be spending their Sat. afternoon at the rugby ground next week.

As I said this isn't an appeal to change minds about LJ's merits or otherwise - we've all got an opinion on that and thats fine. It just seems to me that if those who don't believe he ought to be in the team join with those who do in singing his name at this game, it would be the most positive statement of belief we could make and provide trhe most effective support we possibly could, which would encourage the team and the club to the maximun at a crucial time, when we've got a run of 4 games against lower table opposition. Surely thats our role, as fans.

Personally I think you should be banned from the forum!

Talking sense and making some excellent points is a big "no no" on OTIB these days

Never a truer word said!! We are called 'Football Supporters' for a reason, and that reason is we support our team! How hard is it to turn up at a game and sing songs abotu the whole team and maybe give them some confidence.

PS I cant believe how negative things have got, we beat Charlton Away just 2 games ago! Got a good draw against Sheff Utd and Barnsley, beat Norwich. Yes Reading beat us but they will beat a lot of teams this season. Get a grip people!

The best thing now..........for Southampton, is for the players to go out, put in a good performance, play with their heads as well as their hearts and to hopefully get us a decent result.

Fans can play their part but at the end of the day its down to the players.

Bar the cheering/booing of certain players this season, I've thought the fans have been pretty good, home and away this season. Any negativity has come about through frustration regarding the way we played on Saturday and in other games.

Never a truer word said!! We are called 'Football Supporters' for a reason, and that reason is we support our team! How hard is it to turn up at a game and sing songs abotu the whole team and maybe give them some confidence.

PS I cant believe how negative things have got, we beat Charlton Away just 2 games ago! Got a good draw against Sheff Utd and Barnsley, beat Norwich. Yes Reading beat us but they will beat a lot of teams this season. Get a grip people!

As you stated, decent results up to the Reading game so why should they have been lacking in confidence??

It was like they could not give a toss if they were on the pitch, except for a couple of players.

Attitude works both with players and supporters! if supporters are backing the team, the team can at least try to respond.

The best thing now..........for Southampton, is for the players to go out, put in a good performance, play with their heads as well as their hearts and to hopefully get us a decent result.

Fans can play their part but at the end of the day its down to the players.

Bar the cheering/booing of certain players this season, I've thought the fans have been pretty good, home and away this season. Any negativity has come about through frustration regarding the way we played on Saturday and in other games.

I agree, theres a nautral cycle to these things, a good performance generates good support, which drives the team onwards. It can also happen the other way though. What it needs then is for someone to break the circle and say, despite everything i'm going to turn this thing round ... if I were a player then thats what I'd be telling myself ... but as a supporter I can do the same thing - taking perhaps the most negative thing (the attitude to LJ in this case) and making it into a positive by cheering him like he's Ronaldo. That's what belief (or faith) does ... why it gets you through crappy times. Otherwise we might as well turn up at the end of the 90 mins, come to a decision about the level of performance, commitment etc ... and cheer or boo accordingly, but thats not support it's analysis.

I agree the support in general on match days has been good, you're bound to get some reaction to a home defeat like that but it was great to watch the highlights on World and still hear the fans singing, with even the commentators mentioning it. Where i was, in the EE, even the whole reaction to the substitutions thing past me by! In fact my son was inspired again by the level of support in adversity - he finally threw his lot in with city and ditched his faltering, childish affection with Man U last year after we went to Ipswich and outsung them at 6-0 down, he got his first season ticket this year ... so things arn't all so bad!

Archived