IGNORED

Reading - Different Class

SimplyRed

I really rate Brian Wilson but I have to say many people are being too generous on this occasion. He states that his best position is right back .... I really don't buy the theory that playing left back is that much different. OK it might stop him making overlapping runs & getting good crosses in (as he's on his weaker foot) but it's no excuse for being out of position.

The entire back 4 were awful on Sat.

I really rate Brian Wilson but I have to say many people are being too generous on this occasion. He states that his best position is right back .... I really don't buy the theory that playing left back is that much different. OK it might stop him making overlapping runs & getting good crosses in (as he's on his weaker foot) but it's no excuse for being out of position.

The entire back 4 were awful on Sat.

I see what your saying, but the full back positions are very much.....cant think of the word, expertise positions?

What I mean is that making the transition from primarily a ride sided player to a left sided player, especially for someone who is predominately right footed is incredibly difficult. I agree with you about positioning, but as a defender, your body shape, your angle of attack etc etc is the opposite way around. You also naturally come in onto your stronger foot rather than looking down the wing to play balls. You will also easily find yourself becoming tighter to your centre half in order to compensate for having a weaker left foot.

Tackling also is a lot harder because wingers will take you on the outside on your weaker foot which throws you off balance and makes it harder to keep up with someone running at you.

Again, these are all things that can be improved through practice and playing in that position week in an week out but when you get thrown into these positions like wilson was, it is very hard work, especially when you come up against the calibre of players in the championship.

Sorry but with Coppell in charge and many of the same players that team won the Championship a few years back with a record number of points, and then stayed up in the Prem which is no mean feat.

On their day they are a class outfit.

We were crap as well, that's usually the way with a 1-4 scoreline. But maybe you should consider some credit to the opposition?

I've already acknowledged that Reading are a decent side but I thought we were supoosed to be aswell? The reality is if we are to achieve anything at Championship level these are the sides we need to be able to deal with. On saturday against Wolves and Brum we looked a million miles away. Why?

We seem to be going backwards at the moment and lets not forget that was a Reading side who'd only won once away prior to beating us.

Also all the goals were down to errors not particualy great play from Reading.

I've already acknowledged that Reading are a decent side but I thought we were supoosed to be aswell? The reality is if we are to achieve anything at Championship level these are the sides we need to be able to deal with. On saturday against Wolves and Brum we looked a million miles away. Why?

We seem to be going backwards at the moment and lets not forget that was a Reading side who'd only won once away prior to beating us.

Also all the goals were down to errors not particualy great play from Reading.

Yep, we're supposed to be a good side and some of our players really are good. I just can't accept that Reading are a better side than the Brummies against whom we lost 1-2. We're definately going backwards at the moment and in just about every home game this season we've been over run in the midfield in the first half.

We certainly have some issue's at the moment that Johnson needs to deal with, sticking our heads in the sand and saying Reading are a good side, nevermind! isn't the answer.

Strange how we managed to match Middlesbrough of the Premier league while we were a Div 1 club. Middlesbrough really were a different class at that time and we almost beat them. No way is the gap between us and Reading greater than the gap there was between us and Middlesbrough in the Cup.

The excuse that Reading are of a different class and that's why they trounced us is bollux.

Strange how we managed to match Middlesbrough of the Premier league while we were a Div 1 club. Middlesbrough really were a different class at that time and we almost beat them. No way is the gap between us and Reading greater than the gap there was between us and Middlesbrough in the Cup.

The excuse that Reading are of a different class and that's why they trounced us is bollux.

You aren't comparing like for like. Middlesborough were huge games for the club - it was a bit of romance in the cup, where we overperformed. It is completely different to the vigours of a championship season. And, last year, in finishing fourth, we were stuffed on a number of occassions.

You aren't comparing like for like. Middlesborough were huge games for the club - it was a bit of romance in the cup, where we overperformed. It is completely different to the vigours of a championship season. And, last year, in finishing fourth, we were stuffed on a number of occassions.

City v Reading was a massive game for us as it's almost a derby game. An M4 corridor derby game if you like - BCFC Red Army versus the plastic Cockneys. Absolutely unforgiveable to lose against them in the manner we did. Yes we got stuffed last season but we never collapsed as against Reading, even when Shitswich stuffed us we played well. We were crap against Reading.

I'm not overly worried, yet. If we lose rather than win or draw/win the next 2 'easy' games, the situation could develop into something serious.

It wasn't the defeat itself, it was the players reaction to being outclassed that, frankly, was pretty scary. It looked like a bunch of schoolkids playing a pro team. The body language was woeful - they genuinely looked like they couldn't cope. Bradley actually did a wobbly legged walk at one stage - I'm serious. I thought I was going to have to get the Kleenex out for some of the players.

I can remember GJ saying he wanted 11 leaders on the field - there were none on saturday. Everyone hid (apart from John and Trunds when he came on)

Archived