IGNORED

Reading - Different Class

SimplyRed

Having had a day or two to sit back and consider my opinion, I have to say the plethora of posts about Lee Johnson, Gary Johnson, the state of the team and the state of the club has tended to be a bit excessive and knee-jerk.

Why can't we just accept the fact that we were beaten by a top quality side on Saturday? There's no shame in that, surely?

They were simply better than us in all areas of the field.

Hahnemann had a blinder to keep us out. Doyle proved, once again, that he should be playing in the next league up and Cisse scored a goal that would grace any Premier league game.

Yes, we didn't perform but that was down to Reading's tactics as well as our own normal inconsistency in performance. They didn't give us any time on the ball.

At this moment in time, we cannot cope with teams "in our face" and a lot of teams are beginning to realise that.

Until the manager can devise a tactical formation that will ease pressure on the ball, we will always be suspect.

From a personal viewpoint, I thought we should have made a change after about half-an-hour because it was obvious our starting formation was failing, but Gary Johnson inexplicably kept the same shape and team until his "usual" substitutions "on the hour" - but that's just my opinion.

As for the ironic cheers when the substitutions were finally made, I don't think it was mainly about Lee Johnson, but simply that most of the crowd felt we should have changed it far earlier.

Holy sh£t.

The first post by simplyred I have ever agreed with.

I'm not even that bothered about Saturday to be honest. We had an off day and when you have one of those in the CC there's always a fair chance you'll get stuffed.

I was over it after the third goal went in.

GJ will make sure the players come out next Saturday at St Mary's playing like their lives depend on it.

Holy sh£t.

The first post by simplyred I have ever agreed with.

I'm not even that bothered about Saturday to be honest. We had an off day and when you have one of those in the CC there's always a fair chance you'll get stuffed.

I was over it after the third goal went in.

GJ will make sure the players come out next Saturday at St Mary's playing like their lives depend on it.

At last, someone with sense!

:winner_third_h4h:

Reading are a good side but we made them look world class by the simple fact that city were poor and never got their game going (comical defending made reading look the part) and if we played the same way we did against sheff utd on the tuesday night i think things would have been different, people are more fed up with how we played rather than how good reading are as we went down without a fight which hurt more than the result but we do need more consistency.

Having had a day or two to sit back and consider my opinion, I have to say the plethora of posts about Lee Johnson, Gary Johnson, the state of the team and the state of the club has tended to be a bit excessive and knee-jerk.

Why can't we just accept the fact that we were beaten by a top quality side on Saturday? There's no shame in that, surely?

Hahnemann had a blinder to keep us out. Doyle proved, once again, that he should be playing in the next league up and Cisse scored a goal that would grace any Premier league game.

Yes, we didn't perform but that was down to Reading's tactics as well as our own normal inconsistency in performance. They didn't give us any time on the ball.

At this moment in time, we cannot cope with teams "in our face" and a lot of teams are beginning to realise that.

Until the manager can devise a tactical formation that will ease pressure on the ball, we will always be suspect.

From a personal viewpoint, I thought we should have made a change after about half-an-hour because it was obvious our starting formation was failing, but Gary Johnson inexplicably kept the same shape and team until his "usual" substitutions "on the hour" - but that's just my opinion.

As for the ironic cheers when the substitutions were finally made, I don't think it was mainly about Lee Johnson, but simply that most of the crowd felt we should have changed it far earlier.

Agree with all of that.

When you consider that Stern John could have had a hat trick but for two special saves from Hahnemann and that we gifted Reading a couple of goals the game could have been closer.

What I found frustrating was both the number of completely unforced mistakes we made - players getting basic short passes, simple control and schoolboy football decisions wrong - combined with the fact that we waited until being four goals down before changing something that was so obviously not working. I'd have made changes 20 minutes in.

I would find it refreshing after the team put in a shit performance to hear Gary Johnson say "no excuses, we were rubbish and I got the selection, tactics and subs wrong. I take full responsibility for that" instead of focusing on the supporters who fork out a small fortune for the privilege.

On the subject of LJ, the manager should hold himself accountable for the crowd's reaction because it is his continuing selection of a blatantly off form player that puts the player in that awful position. Sorry, but the mob isn't renowned for it's intelligence. When people are frustrated some significant number of them will pick an easy target to vent at and LJ is an easy target when he plays like he is at the moment.

That being said I can probably only think of one or two away sides in the last season and a bit that looked anywhere near as good as Reading, and it's easy to forget that because of how badly 10 of our players played. I am hoping we get the right reaction from the side selected for Southampton.

we had a shocker and it just so happened that it coincided with us taking on a genuine championship title contender whoi punished our slopyness more than usual. Reading were great and there high energy pressing approach, especially on our back 4 was fantastic. Great to see players like S.Hunt & K Doyle who clearly wants to be back in the prem playing his heart out rather than sulking about not getting a move.

Totally agree with first post. Everyone has an off day, lets see how we bounce back at Southampton as that is where the manager will really earn his money

Agree with all of that.

When you consider that Stern John could have had a hat trick but for two special saves from Hahnemann and that we gifted Reading a couple of goals the game could have been closer.

What I found frustrating was both the number of completely unforced mistakes we made - players getting basic short passes, simple control and schoolboy football decisions wrong - combined with the fact that we waited until being four goals down before changing something that was so obviously not working. I'd have made changes 20 minutes in.

I would find it refreshing after the team put in a shit performance to hear Gary Johnson say "no excuses, we were rubbish and I got the selection, tactics and subs wrong. I take full responsibility for that" instead of focusing on the supporters who fork out a small fortune for the privilege.

On the subject of LJ, the manager should hold himself accountable for the crowd's reaction because it is his continuing selection of a blatantly off form player that puts the player in that awful position. Sorry, but the mob isn't renowned for it's intelligence. When people are frustrated some significant number of them will pick an easy target to vent at and LJ is an easy target when he plays like he is at the moment.

That being said I can probably only think of one or two away sides in the last season and a bit that looked anywhere near as good as Reading, and it's easy to forget that because of how badly 10 of our players played. I am hoping we get the right reaction from the side selected for Southampton.

Well he did indeed say every player bar Stern John played badly. I can't see that changing one of the starting line up would have made any difference given as you say that we gave goals away (three in my eyes, the first starting with a mix up between McIndoe and McCombe). He was also quoted in the Sunday Independent as thanking the crowd for applauding the team off at half time and at the end, remarking that that had happened before and made a big difference. Strange that those comments have not otherwise been picked up. McIndoe, Elliot and Orr have not come anywhere near last season's form yet. Basso has only recently shown some form. Arguably only McCombe and Fontaine have shown consistent form (before Saturday). Yet every disappointing performance is portrayed as solely Lee Johnon's fault. He is unfortunate enough to have become the symbolic target for the rage that seems to bubble under in football crowds these days and is reflected in forums. Yours is a reasonably balanced post. It would be nice to see a bit more of that at times. :fingerscrossed:

As to Reading, excellent side; this year's West Brom.

Agree with all of that.

That is exactly how I saw things. Using the supporters as a smokescreen has got to stop. There is no disgrace in admitting you got it wrong - a tactic some managers use to defend their players incidentally.

Totally agreed. Their is no shame in losing to a team like Reading, however when you can't even do the basics right at this level, your going to lose, and if you can't do it against a team wuth the quality of Reading, you will get stuffed, like we did, changes should also have been made at Half Time at the latest, maybe even 3-0, but 4-0 the changes were just pointless.

Also agree re Gary's comments, fed up of him and his little pops at the crowd, he's more than happy to take the cheers when he gets it right, but he has to accept that he's going to get crap, when he gets it wrong.

I think a lot of fans do accept that Reading were simply better than us. There have been several post on here saying just that. Last night chatting to some City fans most of them felt the same way.

Despite the fact that City didn't help themselves by putting in a poor performance Reading still had to beat what was in front of them and they did it ruthlessly.

The lesson to be learnt from the thrashing is that to be serious contenders City have to improve to level of Reading and again the fans I was chatting with last night don't think that City have the players to do that. The quality just isn't there. I agree with that wholeheartedly.

Johnson is now hopefully starting to look at loans for the midfield, and getting prepared to sign some new blood during the window. If he doesn't strengthen soon then its mid table at best for City I reckon.

A good post this one,much needed a chance to finally get saturday out of our system.

You are right about everything there,the one thing I'd say regarding tactics I do like many people feel that with our wide men coming infield so often that it crowds the midfield area thus restricting time and space for the midfield to get any creativity going.

If you are Lee Johnson or Marvin Elliott and you have possession in the middle and as most people who've played in midfield you like to look for that wide pass that stretches the full backs thus opens up room for the strikers and midfielders to get men forward,however when they look wide they find our wingers just a few yards from them so they lose the ball more often and as is the case with LJ gets a lot of stick for it.

If Lee decides to go in january and ends up with a team that plays with wide men I think he'd be far more effective and by the way I think there are 6 or 7 other championship clubs who'd sign him.

Never let facts get in the way, ey? Reading, prior to the game with us, had only won 1 away game and had lost 4 away games in the Championship. We were rubbish in midfield prior to the substitutions - I saw it with my own eyes so we could do with a little less posts of how good Reading are.

All the goals came from poor play on our part, sure Reading are decent side but we made them look like world beaters and ,again, didn't do yourselfs any favours.

Also that was only their second away win of the season so they've hardly been prolific away from home! Burnley,Preston and Charlton beat them so make of that what you will!

Never let facts get in the way, ey? Reading, prior to the game with us, had only won 1 away game and had lost 4 away games in the Championship. We were rubbish in midfield prior to the substitutions - I saw it with my own eyes so we could do with a little less posts of how good Reading are.

Just in midfield? The defence was fine then? At 4-0 Reading took their foot off the pedal, took their strikers off and played out the game. By all accounts they have been missing chances away that they have been taking at home. They outplayed Burnley but lost for that reason from reports I saw. Unfortunately that was always going to change and our defending helped them change it. Hopefully a one off as far as the defence goes given the clean sheets we had been keeping. Time will tell.

All the goals came from poor play on our part, sure Reading are decent side but we made them look like world beaters and ,again, didn't do yourselfs any favours.

Exactly, Reading are a good side not a world beating side as some are suggesting. The form book does not lie - Reading had only won 1 Championship away game prior to playing us and had lost 4. They did their homework and attacked our player who's not a left back and got 2 easy early goals because our midfield were too lightweight. In fact the whole defence was under massive pressure prior to the substitutions due to that lightweight midfield.

Guest LJ is our King
Exactly, Reading are a good side not a world beating side as some are suggesting. The form book does not lie - Reading had only won 1 Championship away game prior to playing us and had lost 4. They did their homework and attacked our player who's not a left back and got 2 easy early goals because our midfield were too lightweight. In fact the whole defence was under massive pressure prior to the substitutions due to that lightweight midfield.

2 easy goals because of our midfield? so mcindoe didn't suddenly decide he was a defender and try to do mcombe's job for him?

Just in midfield? The defence was fine then? At 4-0 Reading took their foot off the pedal, took their strikers off and played out the game. By all accounts they have been missing chances away that they have been taking at home. They outplayed Burnley but lost for that reason from reports I saw. Unfortunately that was always going to change and our defending helped them change it. Hopefully a one off as far as the defence goes given the clean sheets we had been keeping. Time will tell.

MAINLY the midfield, definitely. The performances of Basso and the Back Four are exceptional when you factor in the amount of pressure they find themselves under given that we have a midfield who are unable to keep possession of the football for any concerted period. At Barnsley the other week they had to endure a WHOLE HOUR of non stop pressure and still kept the clean sheet whilst our midfield did their usual AWOL party trick when the going got tough. It was a phenomenal defensive performance when you take that into consideration. It was almost inevitable in my eyes that one of these weeks our back four, including a square peg trying to fit into a round hole (Wilson), would buckle under the pressure - and Saturday was it.

Our midfield department's lack of quality does not help our back four and it certainly doesn't help our forwards either. The only supply Stern John got all afternoon on Saturday was two Bradley Orr crosses and the other clear chance we fashioned fell to Bradley again after good link up between the belatedly introduced Noble and Trundle.

2 easy goals because of our midfield? so mcindoe didn't suddenly decide he was a defender and try to do mcombe's job for him?

McIndoe IS part of the midfield - we were playing 4-4-2 weren't we? The fact that our midfield four cannot keep possession for any length of time was a contributing factor to the mistakes made by our back four on Saturday. They are always playing at the edge of their game and never get the chance to take a breather. For the first time in ages they cracked on Saturday - they need some help and they ain't getting it.

MAINLY the midfield, definitely. The performances of Basso and the Back Four are exceptional when you factor in the amount of pressure they find themselves under given that we have a midfield who are unable to keep possession of the football for any concerted period. At Barnsley the other week they had to endure a WHOLE HOUR of non stop pressure and still kept the clean sheet whilst our midfield did their usual AWOL party trick when the going got tough. It was a phenomenal defensive performance when you take that into consideration. It was almost inevitable in my eyes that one of these weeks our back four, including a square peg trying to fit into a round hole (Wilson), would buckle under the pressure - and Saturday was it.

Our midfield department's lack of quality does not help our back four and it certainly doesn't help our forwards either. The only supply Stern John got all afternoon on Saturday was two Bradley Orr crosses and the other clear chance we fashioned fell to Bradley again after good link up between the belatedly introduced Noble and Trundle.

Don't disagree with yiur general point about the defence, at least since McCombe came back, though I don't think Brad has hit anything like top form. On Saturday though they were all over the shop with 2 or 3 of the goals coming from defensive mistakes.

Don't disagree with yiur general point about the defence, at least since McCombe came back, though I don't think Brad has hit anything like top form. On Saturday though they were all over the shop with 2 or 3 of the goals coming from defensive mistakes.

I agree that Bradley Orr is very hit and miss at present mixing the sublime (three examples I gave above) with the ridiculous (misplaced passes and crosses behind the goal or down the keepers throat). But at least he is creating something which is more than you can say about McIndoe, Elliott, Johnson and Sproule.

Pretty much everyone(John apart) had an absolute shocker. I just don't think we ever got going. Unfortunately with players like Doyle and Hunt, if you make a mistake , you get punished. I'd put it down to a real bad day at the office though that can't necessarily excuse it. The players looked almost frightened, and as if they'd never played together before. Every time Reading attacked we looked vulnerable at the back, yet I don't think they tore us apart with fantastic play, but more we made frequent, costly errors and they took advantage of it.

They were always going to be fighting hard to bounce back after their defeat at Burnley....they closed our players down, we didn't match their work rate, and pretty much every goal was a gift. They'll know this though and Gary will know this . I can't see the team collectively as individuals ever making that many errors again. It even got to the point that Wilson(I think) seemed to be struggling to throw the ball in properly(though imagine that'd be down to a wet ball but not necessarily excusable).

Also without Mcallister on the left the defence didn't look at all balanced and Wilson seemed to struggle(but then that's understandable as it's not his position..though what his actual best position is I'm not sure!!). However, before the match I was happy with the 11 selected....believed that Gary wasn't scared to attack Reading, and was cautiously optimistic. Making such costly errors at such an early stage changes the whole complexion of the game...and Reading are a much better side than Plymouth. Also as others have mentioned, the Reading goalkeeper made two outstanding saves, which on another day may or may not have gone in.

Other than the harsh 'cheering' of Johnson I thought a sizeable element of the crowd were very supportive of the team once it appeared the game had been lost. Maybe some of those singing at 4-0 down wanted to try to attone for the heckling of Johnson and show that not everybody has the same opinion and still believe in and are appreciative of the team. Sproule also got a similar amount of heckling to Johnson when he was substituted...the guy next to me kept repeating that "Sproule's the worst player I've ever seen play for Bristol City"...now if Sproule is the worst player then either he hasn't seen City prior to the last few years, or he has a serious form of amnesia and needs to try to think back to the not too distant past!

Also that was only their second away win of the season so they've hardly been prolific away from home! Burnley,Preston and Charlton beat them so make of that what you will!

Sorry but with Coppell in charge and many of the same players that team won the Championship a few years back with a record number of points, and then stayed up in the Prem which is no mean feat.

On their day they are a class outfit.

We were crap as well, that's usually the way with a 1-4 scoreline. But maybe you should consider some credit to the opposition?

I agree that Bradley Orr is very hit and miss at present mixing the sublime (three examples I gave above) with the ridiculous (misplaced passes and crosses behind the goal or down the keepers throat). But at least he is creating something which is more than you can say about McIndoe, Elliott, Johnson and Sproule.

Again fair comment. Yet many on here have criticised his distribution and crossing before. Goes to show opinions are not facts.

Bradley Orr - as well as being a defender - was also having to do the job of a midfielder by putting in some crosses for our forwards that were being starved of service from our crap midfield players. The poor bloke was becoming exhausted with the effort he was having to put in so no wonder he was mis-hitting some passes/crosses. McCoombe and Fontaine were under terrible pressure for most of the game and they put in a massive amount of clearing headers between them. Brian Wilson is a right midfielder having to play at left back and was under constant pressure - but at least he did his best with 100% commitment.

I think some 'fans' would expect us to beat Man U by at least 3 goals if we ever played them.

We almost did in 1978 and at Old Trafford, an excellent BCFC midfield were able to supply enough quality ball for Kevin Mabbutt to score a hat-trick. Man U 1 BCFC 3 was how it finished.

Sorry but with Coppell in charge and many of the same players that team won the Championship a few years back with a record number of points, and then stayed up in the Prem which is no mean feat.

On their day they are a class outfit.

We were crap as well, that's usually the way with a 1-4 scoreline. But maybe you should consider some credit to the opposition?

Stephen Hunt, James Harper & Kevin Doyle are all Prem quality. We had gone a long time without conceding, it's often the case that this type of run ends with a bit of a collective mare at the back & in truth the entire back 4 had days to forget.

The bit about credit to the opposition is spot on, on this forum when we win it's cos we played well, when we lose, we played poorly & the manager got his tactics wrong. The notion that sometimes in pretty much every dept, the oppositon are better than us is often lost on here. Most seasons the teams coming down from the Prem are a class apart from the rest ... last season was a bit of an anomaly as 2 of the 3 were very average.... this season is just a return to type.

For me, Brum, Reading & Wolves are clearly ahead of us in terms of squad strength. If we can do well against the lesser sides then there are 3 PO spots to play for. Having said that as most of my 26 years watching City has been at League 1 (new money) level, I can't pretend I'm disappointed with the prospect of being a mid table Championship team.

Agree with all of that.

In the interview i heard - GJ quite clearly states we were poor. But i agree with your overall point. And yes the three fingered Sloths are entitled to vent there frustration - before retreating to the comfort of there caves!

We are prob a mid-table side, no shame in that. I am sure over the next year or two we will improve greatly. Last season raised expectations. People are hungry for success now, but may have to be patient. Something BCFC supporters are not known for.

But i also agree with the original posters point, remember many will say Reading were unlucky to be relegared last year! We are miles behind them in terms of team building, money etc

:noexpression:

Pretty much everyone(John apart) had an absolute shocker. I just don't think we ever got going. Unfortunately with players like Doyle and Hunt, if you make a mistake , you get punished. I'd put it down to a real bad day at the office though that can't necessarily excuse it. The players looked almost frightened, and as if they'd never played together before. Every time Reading attacked we looked vulnerable at the back, yet I don't think they tore us apart with fantastic play, but more we made frequent, costly errors and they took advantage of it.

They were always going to be fighting hard to bounce back after their defeat at Burnley....they closed our players down, we didn't match their work rate, and pretty much every goal was a gift. They'll know this though and Gary will know this . I can't see the team collectively as individuals ever making that many errors again. It even got to the point that Wilson(I think) seemed to be struggling to throw the ball in properly(though imagine that'd be down to a wet ball but not necessarily excusable).

Also without Mcallister on the left the defence didn't look at all balanced and Wilson seemed to struggle(but then that's understandable as it's not his position..though what his actual best position is I'm not sure!!). However, before the match I was happy with the 11 selected....believed that Gary wasn't scared to attack Reading, and was cautiously optimistic. Making such costly errors at such an early stage changes the whole complexion of the game...and Reading are a much better side than Plymouth. Also as others have mentioned, the Reading goalkeeper made two outstanding saves, which on another day may or may not have gone in.

Other than the harsh 'cheering' of Johnson I thought a sizeable element of the crowd were very supportive of the team once it appeared the game had been lost. Maybe some of those singing at 4-0 down wanted to try to attone for the heckling of Johnson and show that not everybody has the same opinion and still believe in and are appreciative of the team. Sproule also got a similar amount of heckling to Johnson when he was substituted...the guy next to me kept repeating that "Sproule's the worst player I've ever seen play for Bristol City"...now if Sproule is the worst player then either he hasn't seen City prior to the last few years, or he has a serious form of amnesia and needs to try to think back to the not too distant past!

Agree totally with this and Nibor's post.

What happened was 8 out of 11 of our team had their worst performances in a City shirt for a long time. Reading, who lets not forget are an excellent side with excellent players - they were on the otherhand on the top of their game on Saturday.

Both Reading's opening goals came down our left flank where we had a make shift left back in Wilson and I hold no blame against him for the first two goals. I also believe that the first two goals could quite easily have been missed but on this day, however, they went in. Countless times have I seen City defending these positions and the opposition striker has sliced it, hit the side netting, its been blocked or Basso has saved it. On this day, it went in and I could see the heads of the City players drop instantly. GAME OVER from then on in. When these chances have been missed in the past City generally have a renewed sense of belief and have got back into the game.

On Saturday, it seemed to me everything Reading touched turned to gold or goals (whichever you prefer). Now, you could say that was because we were rubbish or because we were very bad. However, last season, if people remember, luck was on our side for most of the first half of the season and we most certainly road our luck in many games home and away. Reading could quite easily have squandered their chances and the game could have been very different.

It may sound if I'm clutching at straws, but after retaining my sanity, I only expect to see perhaps one or two performances like that again this season. It is also clear to me the importance of keeping players fit and playing players in their correct position if we are to have a half decent season.

Archived