IGNORED

Nicky Maynard

Motorwayman

Early days I know...could he become a player we off load for £300,000 in a couple of years or could he become a £5,000,000 Premier League player one day?

His Confidence is low at the moment....I thought he may have done well against the inexperienced Southampton centre halfs, who were in my opinion about his standard at the moment.

I hope he comes good and becomes a City legend.

Early days I know...could he become a player we off load for £300,000 in a couple of years or could he become a £5,000,000 Premier League player one day?

His Confidence is low at the moment....I thought he may have done well against the inexperienced Southampton centre halfs, who were in my opinion about his standard at the moment.

Nope.

He's on a long term contract and he is going to take time to step up to this level, he'll come good in the next season or so, long term, I've no doubt we will more than get our money back for him.

Maynard and Akinde were both brought in more for the future than now. Also if he was playing every week and not scoring then that would probably be worser for his development. You need to look after young players and that is what GJ is doing with them both.

Maynard and Akinde were both brought in more for the future than now. Also if he was playing every week and not scoring then that would probably be worser for his development. You need to look after young players and that is what GJ is doing with them both.

Agree he is still young and as ive said before Keogh and Billy Sharp are both similar to Maynard and toke time to adapt, i really believe if he starts scoring he will grow in confidence and could be lethal.

The good thing for Nicky and Akinde and the club at the moment is that we have other choices up front (Trundle John Adebola) so a lot of presure is being taken off them which will be a good thing for there developmenet.

i belive one day he will be a top boy he just need a couple of good game under his belt,couple good goal.anyone who has played football and like scoreing goal know when thay start your on a high and you will keep going look at darren bent...he will come good for us....frist season in the championship

I think he will become next season he will score about 25 goals and everyone will say i always thought he was good, but if he dosen't next season everyone can say he is a flop.

And he needs a year to settle in he is only 21 cumon.

He is not a great championship striker yet (although he is far from being rubbish either)but I have seen enough to know that he can be good at this level. Definately he is one for the future, which is why he cost so much. I think some fans could put him under a lot of pressure by continually making reference to his pricetag and it pisses me off when people are suggesting that he should be starting regularly because of his price. I think he will come good if we are patient.

Akinde is obviously one for the future but Maynard?

Since when were we as a club in the habbit of splashing 2 million plus on potential. Sure he wasn't going to be the finished article but Johnson bought him in to spearhead our attack and score goals now, not in couple of years but he's not been good enough to hold down a place in the starting line up.

How ever you look at it to-date Maynard as been another massive under acheiver and IMO another in the long line of Johnson strikers not to meet the grade.

Akinde is obviously one for the future but Maynard?

Since when were we as a club in the habbit of splashing 2 million plus on potential. Sure he wasn't going to be the finished article but Johnson bought him in to spearhead our attack and score goals now, not in couple of years but he's not been good enough to hold down a place in the starting line up.

How ever you look at it to-date Maynard as been another massive under acheiver and IMO another in the long line of Johnson strikers not to meet the grade.

~Nice to see you giving Maynard some time to settle in then. OK, How do you reckon you would cope not only with the huge step up in quality of football, but a big distance move away your mates and family, knowing there are people like you who just see him as a price tag. Hes just a kid remember.

If you want the finished article then be my guest and give SL £120m to buy Ronaldo and Fabregas, but at this level you have to gamble, Jesus Christ SL is not in this for the Money, its about PASSION!

You should stfu about Johnson too, your evidently too stupid to understand football and its dynamics, now off you go and play lego you stupid little ####.

~Nice to see you giving Maynard some time to settle in then. OK, How do you reckon you would cope not only with the huge step up in quality of football, but a big distance move away your mates and family, knowing there are people like you who just see him as a price tag. Hes just a kid remember.

Not my problem mate. 2.25M is a lot of money for club of our size and he's been very poor. I'm not intrested in sob storys or how old he is. There are young players in the league doing the business, how olds Michael Kightly?

If you want the finished article then be my guest and give SL £120m to buy Ronaldo and Fabregas, but at this level you have to gamble, Jesus Christ SL is not in this for the Money, its about PASSION!

Thats just nonsense. Johnson just chooses to gamble and dip in to League one all the time. He could pick up a decent international foriegner for less than we spent on Maynard.

You should stfu about Johnson too, your evidently too stupid to understand football and its dynamics, now off you go and play lego you stupid little ####.

Rather pointless don't you think Rambo? :icecream:

Not my problem mate. 2.25M is a lot of money for club of our size and he's been very poor. I'm not intrested in sob storys or how old he is. There are young players in the league doing the business, how olds Michael Kightly?

Thats just nonsense. Johnson just chooses to gamble and dip in to League one all the time. He could pick up a decent international foriegner for less than we spent on Maynard.

Rather pointless don't you think Rambo? :icecream:

Agree its not your problem so why are you getting all upset over it? Its not your money, nobodys coming to you with a sob story, are they?

Maybe fans need to be a little more understanding and appreciative of the risks the clubs needs to take in order to progress.

2.25m as you say is a lot of money and credit goes to the club for investing in youth. Thats the key word investment, you see investments don't instantly bear fruit, if Maynard was banging them in at Championship level like he was in league 1 we would be bidding against Premier League clubs for his signature, and thus fail, but GJ, SL PJ consider him a potentially very very good player and given time (like most investments) will come good. We need to have faith.

Michael Kightly is a very good midfielder and I bet Wolves are chuffed to bits with him, had a dreadful season just gone, but just look what a year to settle into your new clubs does?

There are 1000's of strikers globally who would jump at the chance to play for City, but surely you recall the Metab fiasco? proven championship/Premier League players cost a lot of money, just look at Bent to Spurs for 16m, thats the kinda dosh you'll be parting with for proven players.

I agree foreign players are generally cheaper, and with good reason, the are an even bigger risk. Some foreigners just cant make the switch from their homeland to England, i can think of plenty of players whom 10's of millions have been spent on in bringing them to England and they just absolutely failed.

We just need to let the club handle the players transfers, they are, after all way more informed than us, as much as we sometimes like to think we know better, we actually don't know shit. In fact if we knew at least shit, that would be a good start.

Yeah that last comment may have been pointless, do you not have a lego set then? :laugh:

Maybe fans need to be a little more understanding and appreciative of the risks the clubs needs to take in order to progress.

2.25m as you say is a lot of money and credit goes to the club for investing in youth. Thats the key word investment, you see investments don't instantly bear fruit, if Maynard was banging them in at Championship level like he was in league 1 we would be bidding against Premier League clubs for his signature, and thus fail, but GJ, SL PJ consider him a potentially very very good player and given time (like most investments) will come good. We need to have faith.

Michael Kightly is a very good midfielder and I bet Wolves are chuffed to bits with him, had a dreadful season just gone, but just look what a year to settle into your new clubs does?

There are 1000's of strikers globally who would jump at the chance to play for City, but surely you recall the Metab fiasco? proven championship/Premier League players cost a lot of money, just look at Bent to Spurs for 16m, thats the kinda dosh you'll be parting with for proven players.

I agree foreign players are generally cheaper, and with good reason, the are an even bigger risk. Some foreigners just cant make the switch from their homeland to England, i can think of plenty of players whom 10's of millions have been spent on in bringing them to England and they just absolutely failed.

We just need to let the club handle the players transfers, they are, after all way more informed than us, as much as we sometimes like to think we know better, we actually don't know shit. In fact if we knew at least shit, that would be a good start.

Yeah that last comment may have been pointless, do you not have a lego set then? :laugh:

Many good points in the main - certainly foreigners are a bigger risk.

I just can't see Nicky getting many opportunities unless we go 442 and we do look more effective with 451/4411 with the players being picked at present.

Maybe GJ will go 442 for home games and look to play to his strengths .

Hope **** was fool incidentally because the Mods will have you!

A four year contract suggests to me that he was a signing for the future. We know he can score goals just a question of whether or not he can do it consistently at this level. Personally I don't think we have been playing to his strengths so far and given him enough service, but at his age he will improve especially training with some of the other experienced strikers we have at the club. I sense his confidence may be a little low because gj said we needed to have confident players playing up front around the time when Maynard was being left out. If results start to pick up and we play better as a team all it takes is a couple of goals when coming on against tiring defences and he could gain in confidence. Also he does need to bulk up a little bit more because he does seem to not always compete as much as some of the other players (even those that are actually smaller like lj). Still plenty of time for the price-tag to be justified, and its good that we have such competition for strikers because they need to work harder to get a place and take their opportunities

He is not a great championship striker yet (although he is far from being rubbish either)but I have seen enough to know that he can be good at this level. Definately he is one for the future, which is why he cost so much. I think some fans could put him under a lot of pressure by continually making reference to his pricetag and it pisses me off when people are suggesting that he should be starting regularly because of his price. I think he will come good if we are patient.

His price was inflated because we publicaly had two major striking signings fall through right before the transfer window closed, he was bought to spear head our strikeforce this season and so far hasn't done it, not to say he wont in the future but so far he hasn't produced, (waiting for the service from midfield excuse)!

Ross McCormack

Date of birth August 18, 1986 (1986-08-18) (age 22)

Place of birth Glasgow, Scotland

Height 1.75 m (5 ft 9 in)

Playing position Striker

Team Ca***ff City

Seasons in the Championship: His first

Starts: 15 goals 11

Fee: £120,000 compensation- transfer fee NADA.

So where do we stand with settling in and needing to find your feet at championship level?

Ross McCormack

Playing position Striker

Team Ca***ff City

So where do we stand with settling in and needing to find your feet at championship level?

:fastasleep:

Good response!

I hadn't seen that you replied to my earlier post. In response to that I think that He has showed promising signs that he will be good for us but atm he isn't quite there. There is no need to get on his back already and comparing him to McCormack is pointless. He is a different person and the fact that McCormack has scored goals for Cardiff isn't important. But if you think it does then Billy Sharp had a poor season for Sheffield United last year but he has been doing the business this year.

I hadn't seen that you replied to my earlier post. In response to that I think that He has showed promising signs that he will be good for us but atm he isn't quite there. There is no need to get on his back already and comparing him to McCormack is pointless. He is a different person and the fact that McCormack has scored goals for Cardiff isn't important. But if you think it does then Billy Sharp had a poor season for Sheffield United last year but he has been doing the business this year.

Cant see it as pointless, I am simply trying to show an example of a player, similar age, potential shown and making impressive progress in his first season in the championship. My opinion is we payed over the odds for Maynard, a price that was hiked up as the transfer window neared a close and City's striker options dwindled, we have potentially brought a player who will earn back his money and could make us money, potentially we have payed £1.5 million pounds too much, only time will tell.

As a City fan I sincerely hope that Nicky is a succes, as is every player who puts that red shirt on. I would suggest that if your looking for money well spent and one for the future then finacially young John Akinde, or home grown Tristan Plummer would be a good players to keep a keen eye on.

Maynard was as much bought for the future as he was for scoring goals this season, so far he hasn't delivered, I hope this changes.

We/he isn't good enough. When he or anyone else lines up as the second out and out striker we're too weak in midfield. Nicky can finish, but can we do the other things in that system? Not consistantly IMO. We don't create and we don't defend well. And he needs to work hard on his game. I think he's got the potential, I was surprised at how unready he seems for the championship. Technical flaws abound but the potential is IMO there.

Ross McCormack

Playing position Striker

Team Ca***ff City

We offered him £7k a week, someone else (I believe Burnley) offered £8.5k and then Cardiff noticed that they had about one striker on their books and met the figure his agent asked for; £10k a week.

He chose to follow the money, much like he did at Christmas when we offered a transfer fee higher than anyone else for him and the chance to more than double his wage overnight, yet instead of speaking to us he decided to wait till summer and pick up a nice big signing on fee too. He then went on to score about 2 goals post-Christmas as he 'considered his options' and got a bit of a reputation up here as a mercenary for his actions towards Motherwell, the club that had given him a second chance.

The lad has already come out and said he intends to be playing Premier League football next year, with or without Cardiff, which although laudable as an ambition (certainly the 'without Cardiff' bit) but seems a touch rash considering the fact he's just arrived there. It's not something I'd like to hear a City player say outloud (even if they thought it), that's for sure.

Personally I think he'd have been a good signing, but we tried and he chose elsewhere. Nothing much GJ can do about that.

Hardly think it's fair beating GJ over the head with that one.

every City fan was happy when we signed maynard,

this place was buzzing,

Reality is now here and it dosnt matter what ability you have as a coach,ex manager or football fan, we all have eyes and we can all see that maynard has dissapointed,

Call it service? well akinde and stern john look ok on it !

Call it age? Well he has been a pro for 5 years, so thats an excuse, (look at all the other young guys who play well).

He has been dropped for not performing by GJ, so he's not happy with him either,

Bottom line is, He came here with a big reputation, he has not performed and looks like a bad buy,

We all hope he improves, not one of us including GJ, Sl or maynard himself can say weather he will,

Tipped for prem one day, Only time will tell.

We offered him £7k a week, someone else (I believe Burnley) offered £8.5k and then Cardiff noticed that they had about one striker on their books and met the figure his agent asked for; £10k a week.

He chose to follow the money, much like he did at Christmas when we offered a transfer fee higher than anyone else for him and the chance to more than double his wage overnight, yet instead of speaking to us he decided to wait till summer and pick up a nice big signing on fee too. He then went on to score about 2 goals post-Christmas as he 'considered his options' and got a bit of a reputation up here as a mercenary for his actions towards Motherwell, the club that had given him a second chance.

The lad has already come out and said he intends to be playing Premier League football next year, with or without Cardiff, which although laudable as an ambition (certainly the 'without Cardiff' bit) but seems a touch rash considering the fact he's just arrived there. It's not something I'd like to hear a City player say outloud (even if they thought it), that's for sure.

Personally I think he'd have been a good signing, but we tried and he chose elsewhere. Nothing much GJ can do about that.

Hardly think it's fair beating GJ over the head with that one.

I wasn't having a go at GJ, I was merely comparing two strikers in their first season in the championship as one board member has blamed Maynards lack of goals on his lack of championship experience :noexpression:Mccormack was my first comparison.

For the record I also think that McCormack has a very serious chance of playing in the Premier League and unfortunately with Cardiff, if he doesnt manage it with them I am sure he will command a serious fee from somebody.

McCormacks reason for signing for Cardiff was apparently fulfilling a boyhood dream of playing with Robbie Fowler! Shame he naffed off after Cardiff played for his op and spent a year getting him fit, Nice one Robbie :hug:

Archived