IGNORED

Nicky Maynard

Motorwayman

Personally I don't get especially excited when we make "big" signings - no matter what a player has done before to doesn't guarantee they'll be successful here. Look at the furore around the singings of. say Trundle & Maynard compared to when we signed the likes of Fontaine & McCombe... & which players have had the most positive impact.

Having said that, it's way too early to give up on Maynard & there's still time for Trundle to turn things round.

Early days I know...could he become a player we off load for £300,000 in a couple of years or could he become a £5,000,000 Premier League player one day?

His Confidence is low at the moment....I thought he may have done well against the inexperienced Southampton centre halfs, who were in my opinion about his standard at the moment.

I hope he comes good and becomes a City legend.

Speculate to accumulate, £2 million is not that much money for a striker at this level. Hopefully Nicky Maynard will become a £5 million Premier League player for Bristol City FC. Remember that Paul Cheesley had an unpromising start for us when we signed him from Norwich and then - along with Tom Ritchie - fired in the goals to get us back in the top flight of English football.

~Nice to see you giving Maynard some time to settle in then. OK, How do you reckon you would cope not only with the huge step up in quality of football, but a big distance move away your mates and family, knowing there are people like you who just see him as a price tag. Hes just a kid remember.

If you want the finished article then be my guest and give SL £120m to buy Ronaldo and Fabregas, but at this level you have to gamble, Jesus Christ SL is not in this for the Money, its about PASSION!

You should stfu about Johnson too, your evidently too stupid to understand football and its dynamics, now off you go and play lego you stupid little ####.

What a stupid post, why say that at the end, we're all entitled to our opinions, and Johnson record with signing strikers hasn't been that good,ok, the sevice to the strikers has been poor, but maynard doesn't seem to read the game very well, ie flick ons, on running into space to recieve a pass, I, along with a few others have my doubts whether he's got what it takes, certainly, looks along way off a 2.25 million player, so now you going to have a go at me?

Maynard and Akinde were both brought in more for the future than now. Also if he was playing every week and not scoring then that would probably be worser for his development. You need to look after young players and that is what GJ is doing with them both.

Don't think you spend £2m at this level for the future.

What a stupid post, why say that at the end, we're all entitled to our opinions, and Johnson record with signing strikers hasn't been that good,ok, the sevice to the strikers has been poor, but maynard doesn't seem to read the game very well, ie flick ons, on running into space to recieve a pass, I, along with a few others have my doubts whether he's got what it takes, certainly, looks along way off a 2.25 million player, so now you going to have a go at me?

A bit of a contradiction, but meh.

Well what do you want to do about it then!? send him back, I'm afraid he didn't come with a money back guarantee :doh:

He's ours and maybe we need to start readjusting our perspective. I refer to my previous post on most of your points, but simply put we must have faith. We can be so fickle sometimes and should find time to consider the meaning of support and how we show that, I mean, pointing out he's missed a few balls, and not 'read' the game well enough in your expert eye is meaningless, what have you achieved? Of course he's going to have his doubters, but what do the doubters gain from doubting? it's just pointless and negative.

No question that we paid too much for Maynard, as we did for Trundle the previous summer. As for us 'not playing to his strengths' - Well if he does not fit intro our style of play, why did we buy him? He may or may not come good in the future, but as City are running at a loss of £2M+ per year (And with a massive Global economic downturn hitting), we are hardly in a position to gamble big money on potential.

But simply put we must have faith. We can be so fickle sometimes and should find time to consider the meaning of support and how we show that.

Don't really see the harm on the forum. At the match I'd agree with you.

Have faith! In what exactly? What do you want from people, We spend 2.25m on a player and he looks as many miles from the required standard and we're not entitled to be a little disapointed?

What you're looking for is blind faith which is a completely different ball game and one I'm not prepared to partake in.

I mean, pointing out he's missed a few balls, and not 'read' the game well enough in your expert eye is meaningless, what have you achieved? Of course he's going to have his doubters, but what do the doubters gain from doubting? it's just pointless and negative.

You really are from the GJ school of charm aren't you!

It's not about 'doubters'! It's about a few lad and lases getting together on the internet exchanging opinions. If a frank and honest exchange of opinion bothers you so much then may be you should refrain from reading the forum.

The whole forum is meaningless in the great shceme of things which make's the fact so many get so upset all the more confusing. If you stop people having honest opinion and only allow the fluffy warm stuff to be posted then the Mods may as well close this place down now.

Guest Red Cell
Agree its not your problem so why are you getting all upset over it? Its not your money, nobodys coming to you with a sob story, are they?

Maybe fans need to be a little more understanding and appreciative of the risks the clubs needs to take in order to progress.

2.25m as you say is a lot of money and credit goes to the club for investing in youth. Thats the key word investment, you see investments don't instantly bear fruit, if Maynard was banging them in at Championship level like he was in league 1 we would be bidding against Premier League clubs for his signature, and thus fail, but GJ, SL PJ consider him a potentially very very good player and given time (like most investments) will come good. We need to have faith.

Michael Kightly is a very good midfielder and I bet Wolves are chuffed to bits with him, had a dreadful season just gone, but just look what a year to settle into your new clubs does?

There are 1000's of strikers globally who would jump at the chance to play for City, but surely you recall the Metab fiasco? proven championship/Premier League players cost a lot of money, just look at Bent to Spurs for 16m, thats the kinda dosh you'll be parting with for proven players.

I agree foreign players are generally cheaper, and with good reason, the are an even bigger risk. Some foreigners just cant make the switch from their homeland to England, i can think of plenty of players whom 10's of millions have been spent on in bringing them to England and they just absolutely failed.

We just need to let the club handle the players transfers, they are, after all way more informed than us, as much as we sometimes like to think we know better, we actually don't know shit. In fact if we knew at least shit, that would be a good start.

Yeah that last comment may have been pointless, do you not have a lego set then? :laugh:

Speak for yourself, whilst you "don't actually know shit" some of us do.

And stop saying we need to have faith, the 3rd Reich achieved it's prominence in the world because there were too many people like who kept saying we need to have faith, they seem to know what they're doing. Unchecked power is a very dangerous thing and blind faith only helps to perpetuate it.

Maybe fans need to be a little more understanding and appreciative of the risks the clubs needs to take in order to progress.

In 1982, we certainly learnt the consequences of 'risks'! Same as Southampton, Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds etc. are all seeing the benefit of taking risks to progress.

Guest Red Cell

I think i'm for him at the moment but the next run of more than 3 or 4 games he has in the team has to start delivering goals for the money we've spent. Maynard does seem to tick most of the boxes i.e. fast, 2 footed , strong, fit and a poacher instinct judging by the pre season hatrick and the derby goal. Just needs to get more chances whether thats down to him or the team i'm not sure probably a bit of both.

Not my problem mate. 2.25M is a lot of money for club of our size and he's been very poor. I'm not intrested in sob storys or how old he is. There are young players in the league doing the business, how olds Michael Kightly?

Thats just nonsense. Johnson just chooses to gamble and dip in to League one all the time. He could pick up a decent international foriegner for less than we spent on Maynard.

Rather pointless don't you think Rambo? :icecream:

Emad Meteb, he could have so easily been the signing of the season. Wasted £5 on a Eygpt flag inall.

I hadn't seen that you replied to my earlier post. In response to that I think that He has showed promising signs that he will be good for us but atm he isn't quite there. There is no need to get on his back already and comparing him to McCormack is pointless. He is a different person and the fact that McCormack has scored goals for Cardiff isn't important. But if you think it does then Billy Sharp had a poor season for Sheffield United last year but he has been doing the business this year.

Billy Sharp, doing the business?

First i've heard of that, how many's he got?

The fact we have loaned Stern John in pretty much shows that yes so far hes been a flop. Hes not been good so far looked a bit off the pace an not strong enough.

Then again Drogba wasnt at all popular in his first season at Chelsea now hes one of the best strikers in the world. Some players just take longer to settle in.

He wasnt bought in for the future though we are not in the position to spend over 2 million on potential!

It's not as if he's missing a hatful of chances. Missed a couple against Blackpool - could have scored against Sheffield United. Until we get the ball into the danger area more often we ain't going to get a striker who scores 25 goals a season. We finished fourth last year and our top scorer was Darren Byfield I think with nine. The previous year we were auto promoted and our top scorer was Phil Jeavons - did he get 11?

I think Jimmy Greaves in his prime might struggle to get past 12 for our team. Maybe Maynard isn't so bad!

You've got to keep playing him, simple as that really.

Crouchy took a while to settle at Liverpool, so did Keane, Drogba for Chelsea, forlan for Man Ure... List is endless.

How can he prove himself and score if he isnt playing.... leaving him out is basically saying, I've made a mistake and I've pissed £2.25 million up the wall.

Get him on the pitch and stick with him I say.

Guest churchill gaffer
Early days I know...could he become a player we off load for £300,000 in a couple of years or could he become a £5,000,000 Premier League player one day?

His Confidence is low at the moment....I thought he may have done well against the inexperienced Southampton centre halfs, who were in my opinion about his standard at the moment.

Yes,

He is definately the most expensive FLOP we have ever bought!!!!!

Lazy and does not fight for the ball!!!!!

IMO, IMO!!!!!

Maynard is a box player. Our style of play doesn't suit his game.

Obviously I'm not at todays game but reports suggest Tyson is having a stormer. Therefore I expect come this evening people will be suggesting we should have signed him instead of Nicky Maynard.

Frankly, Tyson looked brilliant today. Genuinely brilliant. So, maybe we should have signed him instead of Maynard.

Archived