IGNORED

'hume Could Have Died'

greenun

I appreciate that this post should appear on football talk, but please can it remain here so the largest possible audience can spare a thought for a fellow Championship club's player, who's career may be finished, but is thankful to be be alive...?

Thanks

Mark Tovey - aka Greenun

Also at: http://www.thestar.co.uk/reds/Davey-blasts...have.4680107.jp

Davey blasts: 'Hume could have died'

Published Date: 11 November 2008 By Simon Meeks

IAIN Hume could have died following the fractured-skull collision during the Barnsley v Sheffield United game.That's the conclusion of Barnsley manager Simon Davey.

And the incident resonated with retired pro John Buckley, who was once in intensive care for three weeks after a similar injury.

Today Barnsley striker Hume was treated in a high-dependency unit at a Salford Hospital, following emergency surgery after being hurt in a clash with United's Chris Morgan.

Today the player was well enough to be moved to a ward.

Davey said: "I went to see Iain and he is conscious although he has not slept since the incident and he is not the most talkative.

"He is out of the high dependency unit now and they have moved him onto a hospital ward, which is good news, although he has tubes sticking out of his head.

"The operation went well but he is very down and very angry. He has a scar that runs from his forehead in the shape of a horseshoe right round to his ear.

"He is black and blue, his head is swollen and he is a mess."

Ex-Rotherham United winger Buckley had been a guest at Saturday's match and saw first-hand the challenge on the Canadian international and £1 million striker Hume.

Buckley commented: "It's an absolute tragedy for the boy; any kind of head injury makes me cringe because of what I went through."

It was 15 years ago that an incident at Millmoor almost killed Buckley.

He was left unconscious after a clash of heads with Plymouth defender Gary Poole.

"I was unconscious and in intensive care for 21 days, I had two blood clots, I was 31 and even lost my memory," Buckley explained.

It was the last league match Buckley ever played. He was in hospital for more than six weeks and it took nine months to get his life back on track.

Buckley, now team boss of Doncaster Belles, did not pursue a legal action against the player who ended his career and he defended Morgan in the wake of Saturday's incident which he watched from the directors' box at Oakwell.

"I've seen Morgan before. I don't think there was any intent," he said.

"Morgan is an absolute beast of a player but he was focused on the ball. He's a massively committed player."

Davey visited Hume in hospital last night and was braced to face an FA charge for being sent to the stand during the match for remarks made to a linesman after Sheffield United were awarded a controversial and match-winning penalty in the 2-1 defeat.

The Barnsley manager will demand a personal hearing at the FA's headquarters at Soho Square, London, and is poised to repeat his condemnation of Saturday's referee, Andy D'Urso, who booked Morgan for the challenge on Hume.

"I have the mitigation that the referee was not in control of the game," Davey declared.

"Iain received no protection whatsoever from the referee on Saturday, despite him telling Andy D'Urso about repeated use of the elbow and it sickens me just thinking about it. Iain could have died."

A statement from Bramall Lane read: "Sheffield United are saddened and concerned to hear that Iain Hume is being monitored in a high-dependency unit following last Saturday's fixture and we wish him a speedy and full recovery."

Hume was driven from Oakwell on Saturday by his father-in-law and taken into hospital later.

He was visited by Barnsley assistant manager Ryan Kidd yesterday afternoon before Davey attended his hospital bed last night.

He was said to be conscious but very groggy.

"Our thoughts are with Iain at this time and we all wish him a very speedy recovery from what is a horrendous injury," Davey added.

"There is no timescale regarding when he will be fit enough to return, but he is in a stable condition."

Barnsley have not ruled out a legal action against United and Morgan, who is a former skipper at Oakwell.

Davey had a meeting with Premier League referee's chief Keith Hackett yesterday after clear video film of the incident came to light from Sky TV cameras.

"The decision not to show a red card was an absolute disgrace. It happened before the ball arrived and on another occasion it happened after the ball had gone," Davey added.

"Both (assistant manager) Ryan (Kidd) and I expressed our concerns at the treatment Iain had received through elbow challenges at half-time, but the referee made light of the situation and thought we were making too much of an issue that he had dealt with by showing only a yellow card.

"It beggars belief that you send a manager to the stand when a referee's assistant makes a decision from 70 yards down the pitch; yet a challenge like this seen from 15 yards away, which ends with Iain suffering a fractured skull, goes virtually unpunished."

Deliberate or accident? - you decide: CLICK HERE TO SEE FOOTAGE OF INCIDENT

I appreciate that this post should appear on football talk, but please can it remain here so the largest possible audience can spare a thought for a fellow Championship club's player, who's career may be finished, but is thankful to be be alive...?

Thanks

Mark Tovey - aka Greenun

IAIN Hume could have died following the fractured-skull collision during the Barnsley v Sheffield United game.That's the conclusion of Barnsley manager Simon Davey.

And the incident resonated with retired pro John Buckley, who was once in intensive care for three weeks after a similar injury.

Today Barnsley striker Hume was treated in a high-dependency unit at a Salford Hospital, following emergency surgery after being hurt in a clash with United's Chris Morgan.

Davey said: "I went to see Iain and he is conscious although he has not slept since the incident and he is not the most talkative.

"He is out of the high dependency unit now and they have moved him onto a hospital ward, which is good news, although he has tubes sticking out of his head.

"The operation went well but he is very down and very angry. He has a scar that runs from his forehead in the shape of a horseshoe right round to his ear.

Ex-Rotherham United winger Buckley had been a guest at Saturday's match and saw first-hand the challenge on the Canadian international and £1 million striker Hume.

Buckley commented: "It's an absolute tragedy for the boy; any kind of head injury makes me cringe because of what I went through."

He was left unconscious after a clash of heads with Plymouth defender Gary Poole.

"I was unconscious and in intensive care for 21 days, I had two blood clots, I was 31 and even lost my memory," Buckley explained.

It was the last league match Buckley ever played. He was in hospital for more than six weeks and it took nine months to get his life back on track.

Buckley, now team boss of Doncaster Belles, did not pursue a legal action against the player who ended his career and he defended Morgan in the wake of Saturday's incident which he watched from the directors' box at Oakwell.

"Morgan is an absolute beast of a player but he was focused on the ball. He's a massively committed player."

Davey visited Hume in hospital last night and was braced to face an FA charge for being sent to the stand during the match for remarks made to a linesman after Sheffield United were awarded a controversial and match-winning penalty in the 2-1 defeat.

The Barnsley manager will demand a personal hearing at the FA's headquarters at Soho Square, London, and is poised to repeat his condemnation of Saturday's referee, Andy D'Urso, who booked Morgan for the challenge on Hume.

"I have the mitigation that the referee was not in control of the game," Davey declared.

"Iain received no protection whatsoever from the referee on Saturday, despite him telling Andy D'Urso about repeated use of the elbow and it sickens me just thinking about it. Iain could have died."

A statement from Bramall Lane read: "Sheffield United are saddened and concerned to hear that Iain Hume is being monitored in a high-dependency unit following last Saturday's fixture and we wish him a speedy and full recovery."

Hume was driven from Oakwell on Saturday by his father-in-law and taken into hospital later.

He was visited by Barnsley assistant manager Ryan Kidd yesterday afternoon before Davey attended his hospital bed last night.

"Our thoughts are with Iain at this time and we all wish him a very speedy recovery from what is a horrendous injury," Davey added.

"There is no timescale regarding when he will be fit enough to return, but he is in a stable condition."

Barnsley have not ruled out a legal action against United and Morgan, who is a former skipper at Oakwell.

Davey had a meeting with Premier League referee's chief Keith Hackett yesterday after clear video film of the incident came to light from Sky TV cameras.

"The decision not to show a red card was an absolute disgrace. It happened before the ball arrived and on another occasion it happened after the ball had gone," Davey added.

"Both (assistant manager) Ryan (Kidd) and I expressed our concerns at the treatment Iain had received through elbow challenges at half-time, but the referee made light of the situation and thought we were making too much of an issue that he had dealt with by showing only a yellow card.

"It beggars belief that you send a manager to the stand when a referee's assistant makes a decision from 70 yards down the pitch; yet a challenge like this seen from 15 yards away, which ends with Iain suffering a fractured skull, goes virtually unpunished."

I really hope that bastard Morgan gets dealt with by the law - it was a clearly deliberate act by a clogger.

Definately a deliberate act. Morgan glanced momentarily before he headed the ball and saw Hume coming to challenge him and shoved out his right elbow into Hume's head.He tried to make it look like an accident but its obvious that he meant it.

It was brutal and pre-meditated. Morgan should be banned for months and charged for assault by the police.

Thanks

Mark Tovey - aka Greenun

I can't watch the link so only a general comment. Morgan seems to be an average player at the end of the his career possibly pitbulled by whoever responsible. I rate the English game for the die hard determination. Always going for the ball 100 percent and truly not trying to injure a fellow footballer. Sometimes it goes wrong but there are limits. After all we are all human beings.

I can't watch the link so only a general comment. Morgan seems to be an average player at the end of the his career possibly pitbulled by whoever responsible. I rate the English game for the die hard determination. Always going for the ball 100 percent and truly not trying to injure a fellow footballer. Sometimes it goes wrong but there are limits. After all we are all human beings.

Aggression and determination are part of the English game and long may that continue but if you could watch the link your comments might be slightly different!!

Definite intent.

It's also worrying that Hume was allowed to walk off the pitch unaided and went home with his father-in-law before being taken to hospital later.

I'd like to think our medical staff would take a few more precautionary measures than that after such a heavy collision.

Can we watch the accusations in this thread, please. I appreciate such an injury can make feelings run high, but please be careful what you accuse Chris Morgan of doing/being.

Thanks.

It's also worrying that Hume was allowed to walk off the pitch unaided and went home with his father-in-law before being taken to hospital later.

I'd like to think our medical staff would take a few more precautionary measures than that after such a heavy collision.

Can we watch the accusations in this thread, please. I appreciate such an injury can make feelings run high, but please be careful what you accuse Chris Morgan of doing/being.

Thanks.

Orrs accident at Wembley..

You don't have to stand up to be a man.

In fact, we are doing best horizontal.

Definately a deliberate act. Morgan glanced momentarily before he headed the ball and saw Hume coming to challenge him and shoved out his right elbow into Hume's head.He tried to make it look like an accident but its obvious that he meant it.

It was brutal and pre-meditated. Morgan should be banned for months and charged for assault by the police.

Spot on. Some Footballers think the pitch gives them immunity from prosecution for being a complete thug, on the contrary, its where they should be setting an example, I suggest fining the clubs heavily and holding them 100% responsible for their players actions, you'll quickly see an improved attitude.

Wish I could see the link. Don't get me wrong.

No, no worries mate, I don't get you wrong, I understand what you mean, but its a pity you cant see the link.

Ball in the air, coming towards Morgan, Hume is running towards the ball to try and make a challenge. In the following order:

- Morgan glances across in Morgan's direction

- Morgan puts his elbow out just as Hume arrives to challenge

- Elbow smashes into side of Hume's face

- Morgan heads the ball away

- Morgan holds his hands up in the air, presumably as to say the elbow was unintentional

All of that happens in less than a split second.

Morgan definitely intended to head the ball..... IMO ..... couldnt possibly say about the elbow though.

Does that get past the legal department?

Guest barnsley

I was there an I must say i felt sick. That wasnt the 1st time Morgan elbowed Hume, Hume had been complaining to the Referee he wasnt getting protected as Morgan elbowed him 2 or 3 times before this 1 happened.

Morgan is a thug, always has been always will be.

He wasnt the only 1, Beattie also elbowed Souza but luckily it didnt catch.

We reported to FA But Hume has said he does not want the Police involved.

I was there an I must say i felt sick. That wasnt the 1st time Morgan elbowed Hume, Hume had been complaining to the Referee he wasnt getting protected as Morgan elbowed him 2 or 3 times before this 1 happened.

Morgan is a thug, always has been always will be.

He wasnt the only 1, Beattie also elbowed Souza but luckily it didnt catch.

We reported to FA But Hume has said he does not want the Police involved.

Great to see you back Barnsley! :winner_third_h4h:

Archived