IGNORED

Quietly Does It

WarksRed

Well thats certainly better than the local rag would write! Sounds like Johnson is still respected by alot of people. No reason why we cant achieve success to the promised land. But that depends on whether the players believe they can do it AND we strengthen in January.

Well thats certainly better than the local rag would write! Sounds like Johnson is still respected by alot of people. No reason why we cant achieve success to the promised land. But that depends on whether the players believe they can do it AND we strengthen in January.

Of course he is,why on earth wouldn't he be,there are countless clubs within the Football League that would snap our hands off to have Gary Johnson as their manager,just because we've had a dip in form does not mean that he suddenly has become a bad manager.

Believe me he will be the man that gets us there,if some fans that think they are better than him one day drive him out then unfortunatly it will be a return to the days of League 1,which I guess would give the moaners plenty of happy days

Of course he is,why on earth wouldn't he be,there are countless clubs within the Football League that would snap our hands off to have Gary Johnson as their manager,just because we've had a dip in form does not mean that he suddenly has become a bad manager.

Believe me he will be the man that gets us there,if some fans that think they are better than him one day drive him out then unfortunatly it will be a return to the days of League 1,which I guess would give the moaners plenty of happy days

Why is it that people think that without Gary we would end up back in league 1.

Now i like Gary as much as the next man but life will go on without him when he leaves (for whatever reason).

I am sure that when he does leave, SL will bring in someone with the quality we will need.

Guest MaloneFM

Is it too late for the prediction league?

I predict Colin to say something barmy, a lot of people on here to take it way too seriously and Snothausen to say we will get a point. Which is fish in a barrel really. Oh except for Reading, which he said we'd win easily.

Tool.

On doubt that hangs over Johnson as far a Premier League club is concerned is his lack of experience handling big time, high earning players whose motivation is not always money.Regardless of how impressive his record is its all been achieved in the lower leagues.

Fergusons gets away with it because he's had over 20 years at the top and has earned the respect.

On doubt that hangs over Johnson as far a Premier League club is concerned is his lack of experience handling big time, high earning players whose motivation is not always money.Regardless of how impressive his record is its all been achieved in the lower leagues.

Fergusons gets away with it because he's had over 20 years at the top and has earned the respect.

A lot of managers do not even get success there, so I don't know why you consider this a bad thing.

I cannot understand this obsession with how Johnson deals with his players (or rumours of how he does I should say).

I know some people are still sore that he cast out one or two popular individuals, who disagreed with his management style, but in football the only measure of credibility is the results you get, and of the managers of his age range employed in this country Gary Johnson's record is very good.

If people know the details of one time/incident where Gary Johnson has been unable to deal with a 'Big Player' and it has cost this club on the pitch in terms of results then show-and-tell or I can only presume you are a liar.

And using the example of the most successful British manager for more than a generation in an attempt to damn Gary Johnson's record is simply bizarre and vindictive.

If you dislike the man have the guts to come out and say it, don't use utterly fatuous 'comparisons' (although yours barely warrants the use of the word) to cast aspersions on his achievements.

Use facts not asumptions or assertions, otherwise you just look like a $hit-stirring pillock.

A lot of managers do not even get success there, so I don't know why you consider this a bad thing.

I cannot understand this obsession with how Johnson deals with his players (or rumours of how he does I should say).

I know some people are still sore that he cast out one or two popular individuals, who disagreed with his management style, but in football the only measure of credibility is the results you get, and of the managers of his age range employed in this country Gary Johnson's record is very good.

If people know the details of one time/incident where Gary Johnson has been unable to deal with a 'Big Player' and it has cost this club on the pitch in terms of results then show-and-tell or I can only presume you are a liar.

And using the example of the most successful British manager for more than a generation in an attempt to damn Gary Johnson's record is simply bizarre and vindictive.

If you dislike the man have the guts to come out and say it, don't use utterly fatuous 'comparisons' (although yours barely warrants the use of the word) to cast aspersions on his achievements.

Use facts not asumptions or assertions, otherwise you just look like a $hit-stirring pillock.

Woah! Lighten up and understand a post fully before you start ranting and resorting to personal insults.

If you want I'll explain in simpler terms what the point I'm making is.

Imagine that you are the chairman of a Premier League club and you have a managerial vacancy. You would no doubt be aware of Gary Johnson but you would also be aware of many other already out of work managers with expereince of the Premier League. You would also be aware of any number of foriegn coaches looking for a chance to ply their trade in the English top flight some of whom have very impressive CV's.

But you may want an British coach and although Johnson would probably be higher on your list than some you would have a concern that all Johnsons success has been outside the top division. In other words he's unproven at the highest level and with coaching top players. It would be a gamble possibly not worth taking.That may be enough to cross his name of your list.

Is that clear enough? - or do have more insults to express?

Woah! Lighten up and understand a post fully before you start ranting and resorting to personal insults.

Imagine that you are the chairman of a Premier League club and you have a managerial vacancy. You would no doubt be aware of Gary Johnson but you would also be aware of many other already out of work managers with expereince of the Premier League. You would also be aware of any number of foriegn coaches looking for a chance to ply their trade in the English top flight some of whom have very impressive CV's.

But you may want an British coach and although Johnson would probably be higher on your list than some you would have a concern that all Johnsons success has been outside the top division. In other words he's unproven at the highest level and with coaching top players. It would be a gamble possibly not worth taking.That may be enough to cross his name of your list.

If I was a premier league chairman looking for a new manager Gary Johnson would be top of my list regardless of experience. He is 1 of the best managers around at the moment and it would not surprise me if in 20 years he is being talked about in the same group of managers that contains alex ferguson, Bill shankley, alf ramsay etc. . .

its this sort of positive article that you would expect to see from your local press

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/samgreen/blog...premier_league_

:englandsmile4wf:

Very Good Article from Sam, who's doing very well at the Telegraph

He actually used to work for the Western Daily Press, however he was reporting on Swindon, which he utterly hated.

He's done a few good articles on City recently, does help that a few of his mates are City fans........doesn't help that him and some the rest of his mates are Brighton fans, nice lad who's been to the gate a fair few times to watch Brighton and City play over the year.

Nice to get some praise nationallly

If I was a premier league chairman looking for a new manager Gary Johnson would be top of my list regardless of experience. He is 1 of the best managers around at the moment and it would not surprise me if in 20 years he is being talked about in the same group of managers that contains alex ferguson, Bill shankley, alf ramsay etc. . .

I agree, Johnson is one of the best managers around - but outside the PL.

In 20 years time not even Sir Gary would see himself in the same list of greats that includes Shankly, Ferguson,Ramsey ect. Truly great managers like Arsene Wenger,Sir Alex Ferguson and in the past Brian Clough and Sir Bobby Robson all spent the vast majority of their careers in the top flight.

I agree, Johnson is one of the best managers around - but outside the PL.

In 20 years time not even Sir Gary would see himself in the same list of greats that includes Shankly, Ferguson,Ramsey ect. Truly great managers like Arsene Wenger,Sir Alex Ferguson and in the past Brian Clough and Sir Bobby Robson all spent the vast majority of their careers in the top flight.

Yes they did but look at where alex ferguson started his managerial career! East stirling!

And i fully expect Johnson to manage for much of the rest of his career in the top flight whether with us or not - i sincerly hope and think that it will be with us

If he does get us promoted will he not be the 1st manager to get promotion from non league to Premier League?

even the greats of management - ferguson etc... haven't done that! Whilst it may not be as big an achievement as winning the premier league or the european cup it is still an achievement and i do believe that GJ could win 1 of the games greatest prizes in the future

Okay, my apologies for the 'pillock' comment, but I stand by the statements I made regards asumptions and assertions. People need to put-up or shut-up more on this forum, as the amount of rumours and opinions-presented-as-fact that are allowed to cirulate unchallenged on here is pathetic.

Plus instead of simply ignoring the points I made asides from that would you care at actually answer some of them?

Your original statement indicated that doubt surround Johnson's ability to deal with high-profile players. How so? Do you have evidence of this?

This fact didn't stop Sunderland appointing Roy Keane (who had no experience what-so-ever in management) to a squad jam-packed with just-relegated Premier League players.

This didn't stop Blackburn appointing Paul Ince to manage thier top-half-finishing Premierleague team, despite never having managed outside of league one.

This didn't stop West Ham appointing Zola with no experience.

This didn't stop Southgate getting the nod at Boro, despite no experience at all.

This didn't stop Tony Adams being given the Portsmouth job, with only a disastrous spell as Wycombe manager on his CV.

That is 5 of the 20 'top jobs' that are held by managers who, prior to their appointments, had no managerial experience with high-profile players. Plus many had little to nil experience of management at all before being picked to manage their present clubs.

Add to that Phil Brown and Tony Pulis' present performances at Premier League level. Both are impressing with 'small clubs' despite having no top flight experience between them, something that (by your reckoning at least) should make them 'kiss-iof-death' appointments at the top level.

Everyone is fully entitled to their opinion of course but it would be nice if you'd not present them as facts when the real facts totally controdict what you say.

You original comment;

is totally unprompted (no one mentions Alex Ferguson, either in the thread or aricle) and doesn't really relate to anything except your own point. Did you only include it so as to have a pop at Gary Johnson?

And what would Gary Johnson be required to do to 'earn respect' with you? After winning promotion and reaching a play-off final I struggle to see what more he could have done in just over three years to 'earn respect'. If you dislike him for personal reasons that is another matter, but to say that he has done nothing worth of even grudging respect is simply in bad spirit and not rooted in his actions, just you personal feelings.

And for the record; your 'simple' explanation made nothing more clear in terms of your reasoning. Your suggestion relys upon the idea is that there exists a massive pool of experienced and willing managers out there who are not presently employed. Why then did Watford look to the SPL in an attempt to find a new manager? Why didn't one of there dole-bothering super managers get offered the chance? Just a thought.

This fact didn't stop Sunderland appointing Roy Keane (who had no experience what-so-ever in management) to a squad jam-packed with just-relegated Premier League players.

Roy Keane was 'mentored' by Alex Ferguson plus Keane spent the vast majority of his career in the PL.

This didn't stop Blackburn appointing Paul Ince to manage thier top-half-finishing Premierleague team, despite never having managed outside of league one.

And that might prove a serious error...

This didn't stop West Ham appointing Zola with no experience.

Zola worked with some very impressive managers plus was an international footballer. He has far more experience of how big players think and respond. He was one himself

This didn't stop Southgate getting the nod at Boro, despite no experience at all.

Same as Zola and Keane.

This didn't stop Tony Adams being given the Portsmouth job, with only a disastrous spell as Wycombe manager on his CV.

Same as above

These guys have spent most of their careers in the PL and as international footballers and thats vital experience

Did you only include it so as to have a pop at Gary Johnson?

Not at all - why would I do that? Johnson has done/is doing a grand job at City but he ain't PL standard as a manager. He has no experience of the PL as a player or coach.

Johnson has done/is doing a grand job at City but he ain't PL standard as a manager. He has no experience of the PL as a player or coach.

You're doing it again. Stating your opinion as fact.

You have no idea if Gary Johnson is a PL standard manager. You called him a conference manager when he took over here, and he's proved you wrong there, just as I am sure he would prove you wrong if he managed in the Premier League.

Arsene Wenger had no experience of the Premier League as a player or coach before he took over at Arsenal. He seems to be coping ok though.

Robbored

Just out of interest, going on your theory of playing top flight/international football and working under great managers, How do Nobby stiles, Jan Molby and Paul Lambert rate as managers to you? the later name apparently saying to another manager how he deserved his repect because he played in front of more fans at a reserve match then he had ever dreamt of :doh:

You're doing it again. Stating your opinion as fact.

You have no idea if Gary Johnson is a PL standard manager. You called him a conference manager when he took over here, and he's proved you wrong there, just as I am sure he would prove you wrong if he managed in the Premier League.

Arsene Wenger had no experience of the Premier League as a player or coach before he took over at Arsenal. He seems to be coping ok though.

Of course I have no idea - just speculating what a PL chairman might take into consideration when looking at potential managers.

Arsene Wenger is a one off. If you read or listen to any of the Arsenal players that were there when he took over and they all say the same thing. A completely unique individual who turned the art on management on its head. A man full of original idea's and innovation. A man who rarely,if ever dished out a bollocking or served up the hairdryer treatment. He is a purist, dedicated to individual and collective technical quality. He developed his philosophy at Monaco where won the French Championship.He's also coached in Japan. He has a very sharpe intellect which he has directed not only into developing young players but also into producing teams capable of playing the most beautiful football you'll ever see.

Of course I have no idea - just speculating what a PL chairman might take into consideration when looking at potential managers.

So is this your opinion or not?:

Johnson has done/is doing a grand job at City but he ain't PL standard as a manager.

Can agree and disagree with some of what Robbered is saying.

Is Gary Johnson the best manager outside the Prem? No. Quite clearly he's not? Can he become so? possibly? at the moment there is too many others who have managed and/or done well at higher level, plus a number of managers have got team out of this division the right way, Jewell, Coppell, Warnock, McCarthy I rate higher, but GJ isn't far behind them.

Gary Johnson isn't a premier league standard manager - obviously not because he hasn't had a chance yet, whether he will or not is another question?

However - To get the chance in the Prem I personally believe the only way he's going to get it, is by getting a club to the prem first.

Don't believe Prem Chairmen are looking at Johnson as a manager, he may have done a good job at this level, however it is still a big step up and too many are too keen to grab a ex-prem player looking to move into management or a ex-prem manager working at a lower level or just go overseas and look for a big name in another country. Perhaps they should be looking at Johnson? But at the moment, I'm glad they are not.

For the Arsene Wenger mention, that's just a silly reference, he was unknown over here, but was very well known in France, what he was doing in Japan, God only knows, but personally I believe he's establised himself as debateably the best manager in the prem at the moment.

Archived