IGNORED

Cards On The Table - What Are Your Expectations?

Tunley Legend

...........for the remainder of this season. At the risk of repeating myself, I have posted in another thread that I for one will be delighted to accept the nailed on mid-table finish we will acheive if some of the following are implemented:-

More attack minded football played on the deck

A quality central midfield creative player signed that allows us to play 4-4-2

GENUINE competition for McIndoe (rather than Jennison Myrie-Williams)

A REPLACEMENT for Ivan Sproule PLUS some competition for the replacement

Christian Ribiero competing with Bradley Orr for a place (subject to fitness obviously)

James Wilson given substitute cameo roles and the odd game thrown in

GENUINE competition for Jamie McAllister signed

Some of the drift wood clearly not up to Championship standard released

I think we are coming to a crossroads in GJ's management of the club. He has done fantastically well, so far, to turn us from nine defeats in a row League 2 relegation trapdoor merchants into a League 1 promotion outfit into Championship play off contenders. BUT we are no longer the surprise package in the league which has led to a slight downturn in results overall and if we are to really move on as a club in the next 18 months or so (rather than revelling in past glories and near misses) we have to adapt our style from being a plucky outfit with some talent that grinds out results in the face of adversity into a confident unit that is not afraid to go and attack teams and is confident of taking the points wherever and whoever we play. I think many of the above measures are required to start this process. What do you think?

...........for the remainder of this season. At the risk of repeating myself, I have posted in another thread that I for one will be delighted to accept the nailed on mid-table finish we will acheive if some of the following are implemented:-

Christian Ribiero competing with Bradley Orr for a place (subject to fitness obviously)

I think we are coming to a crossroads in GJ's management of the club. He has done fantastically well, so far, to turn us from nine defeats in a row League 2 relegation trapdoor merchants into a League 1 promotion outfit into Championship play off contenders. BUT we are no longer the surprise package in the league which has led to a slight downturn in results overall and if we are to really move on as a club in the next 18 months or so (rather than revelling in past glories and near misses) we have to adapt our style from being a plucky outfit with some talent that grinds out results in the face of adversity into a confident unit that is not afraid to go and attack teams and is confident of taking the points wherever and whoever we play. I think many of the above measures are required to start this process. What do you think?

Great post although I have to say I wasn't expecting us to be saying this until our third or fourth season in the championship. At the start of the season I thought perhaps this season we would just miss the play offs and secure a top table finish however the way we are stuttering about and dithering like a lost soul in the league at the moment poses us many things to consider.

I think its time for gary to play akinde and maynard up front, they are the future, we are not going up so lets start building now, give the younger guys this season to adapt, play football and have a go,

it would be the best way forward for the club.............even try some of the younger guys in the squad,

Maybe Johnson is planning to bring in new blood in January. He's already annouced that a list of available players will be circulated for possible loan moves some with a view to a perminent move.

Without strengthening City are looking at mid-table and hopefully Johnson knows that. We all know he plays his cards close to chest when transfers are concerned.

Maybe Johnson is planning to bring in new blood in January. He's already annouced that a list of available players will be circulated for possible loan moves some with a view to a perminent move.

Without strengthening City are looking at mid-table and hopefully Johnson knows that. We all know he plays his cards close to chest when transfers are concerned.

My point is that mid table would do for me in the event that we undergo a transitional period that results in us playing a more attack minded and football led game as opposed to grinding a result from out of the trenches and playing percentages in the direction of Adebola every other week. I would be willing to cope with the inevitable 5-1 defeat that follows the 4-0 victory as long as I could see that the style was being changed to one that will ultimately be successful at this level.

Guest MaloneFM

Mid table. Lovely little cup run now and again.

I am a luddite when it comes to big time charlieism. 'We should have a 35,000 seater stadium and be competing with the Premier League big boys'.

No we shouldn't. We did once and although it was fun we suffered badly after the party.

If you have got the cash swilling, around redevelop the ground we have already. On a different thread I read of the years people have put into this small patch in BS3. All this talk of potential world cup venues and 40,000 seats is just selling YOUR history. How many times have you heard talk of one end of the new ground being called the East End?

Nor me.

I am quite happy where we are. We are not fighting relegation. Still in with a shout at top ten status. Now and again the wheels come off like with Reading but the moaners went home when the 4th went in and missed the best part of the game when the real supporters started singing.

I want to enjoy it. Not get priced out to people down from Gloucester who want to see the local lads perform against Arsenal and have no idea who Don Gillies is.

Thats what I want. Thats what I expect.

I am a luddite when it comes to big time charlieism. 'We should have a 35,000 seater stadium and be competing with the Premier League big boys'.

No we shouldn't. We did once and although it was fun we suffered badly after the party.

If you have got the cash swilling, around redevelop the ground we have already. On a different thread I read of the years people have put into this small patch in BS3. All this talk of potential world cup venues and 40,000 seats is just selling YOUR history. How many times have you heard talk of one end of the new ground being called the East End?

Nor me.

I am quite happy where we are. We are not fighting relegation. Still in with a shout at top ten status. Now and again the whells come off like with Reading but the moaners went home when the 4th went in and missed the best part of the game when the real supporters started singing.

I want to enjoy it. Not get priced out to people down from Gloucester who want to see the local lads perform against Arsenal and have no idea who Don Gillies is.

A DROP OF SANITY IN THIS OCEAN OF MADNESS (from Malone ?)

Be careful what you wish for, cause the grass aint always greener

Guest MaloneFM
A DROP OF SANITY IN THIS OCEAN OF MADNESS (from Malone ?)

Be careful what you wish for, cause the grass aint always greener

Who? Silly old farts been at the cooking sherry again. :noexpression:

Nor me.

I am quite happy where we are. We are not fighting relegation. Still in with a shout at top ten status. Now and again the wheels come off like with Reading but the moaners went home when the 4th went in and missed the best part of the game when the real supporters started singing.

that uncle is probably the best post i think i,ve had the privelage to read on this forum, :worship2:

I think we will see some decisions in January. IF Carey is moaning about only beeing offered a one year contract I expect him to leave. The world is going through the worst cricis since the 30s for god sake. Remember his moaning days playing right back before leaving for Coventry. If there is any substance in this story wouldn't dare to play him if GJ.

I think we will see some decisions in January. IF Carey is moaning about only beeing offered a one year contract I expect him to leave. The world is going through the worst cricis since the 30s for god sake. Remember his moaning days playing right back before leaving for Coventry. If there is any substance in this story wouldn't dare to play him if GJ.

Cut the sanctimonious babble(not trying to offend but please remeber we have had far worse recessions than this), Carey left a crap league one team before, to better his career (or so he thought), crucify him for showing some ambition, do you really think that losing our most consistant defender will progress this club? We need our best players playing in their best and most familiar positions, if and when GJ does this I am sure we can and will suceed on the pitch.

Bring back Carey, put McCallister back in at left back instead of the right sided midfielder Wilson, give Trundle a go at the striker role he was signed for and give Gavin Willliams a shot at the central midfield position and not just for one game, a consistant run in the side.

Cut the sanctimonious babble(not trying to offend but please remeber we have had far worse recessions than this), Carey left a crap league one team before, to better his career (or so he thought), crucify him for showing some ambition, do you really think that losing our most consistant defender will progress this club? We need our best players playing in their best and most familiar positions, if and when GJ does this I am sure we can and will suceed on the pitch.

Bring back Carey, put McCallister back in at left back instead of the right sided midfielder Wilson, give Trundle a go at the striker role he was signed for and give Gavin Willliams a shot at the central midfield position and not just for one game, a consistant run in the side.

Wenger don't offer anyone over 30 more than a one year deal, not even Henry.

I think its time for gary to play akinde and maynard up front, they are the future, we are not going up so lets start building now, give the younger guys this

Why are we not going up? We're three points outside the play-offs for christ's sake. Try out the younger guys by all means, in April if we're safe and if we've got no chance of the play-offs. To do so now would send a ridiculous message to the squad and the fans.

I think its time for gary to play akinde and maynard up front, they are the future, we are not going up so lets start building now, give the younger guys this season to adapt, play football and have a go,

it would be the best way forward for the club.............even try some of the younger guys in the squad,

Well said! I think John Akinde is the brightest young talent at the club - Unfortunately I did not see him start at Sheffield United so cannot comment on that however I have seen his 2 sub appearances at the gate - and so far we are winning 3-0 with him on the pitch at home! :clapping:

His work rate is excellent and he seems to get into the right areas - people may criticise Johnson's signings this season but I think his least noticed and unsung 1 has been his best

Good luck young man :D

Why are we not going up? We're three points outside the play-offs for christ's sake. Try out the younger guys by all means, in April if we're safe and if we've got no chance of the play-offs. To do so now would send a ridiculous message to the squad and the fans.

We are not strong enough to go up without making significant signings beyond our budget in the transfer window. We don't have a strong enough midfield and cannot create enough goalscoring chances. We have to play five in midfield to compensate for the type of creative player with a good engine that our squad lacks. If you could roll Noble and Johnson into one player we could play four in midfield. If we went up we would have to buy a dozen players just like Hull have and history suggests that is not the GJ way. In that case we would be better off building a squad over the next couple of seasons rather than go up now and see the likes of Jamie McCombe, Lee Johnson, Michael McIndoe and Ivan Sproule get totally humiliated week in week out at Premier League level, no disrespect to those players intended.

Part of building a side we can be proud of is surely to use the few Academy prospects in our squad who do have genuine quality - i.e. Ribiero and Wilson, and I personally would like to see this done as soon as possible. If that upsets a few members of the squad who are not good enough in the long run anyway then so be it. The ultimate aim has to be to convert our team into a confident and skilful unit who work hard but can win football matches playing good attacking football rather than a team that lacks quality but works exceptionally hard and is able to grind out results on a regular basis.

Gary Johnson is at a crossroads - he has stretched his loyalty to the players who got him out of League 1 and did so well last season to it's limit I reckon. The number of times he has criticised his players this season speaks volumes. Even GJ is losing patience and I think we now have to be ruthless and decide once and for all which of the existing squad are good enough to continue on our journey and which of them need to be offloaded by the club in order that we can get in the extra quality we need.

We are not strong enough to go up without making significant signings beyond our budget in the transfer window. We don't have a strong enough midfield and cannot create enough goalscoring chances. We have to play five in midfield to compensate for the type of creative player with a good engine that our squad lacks.

4-5-1 was fine for the majority of last season. It actually creates chances - generally - because we keep the ball on the deck and play to out strengths. We could certainly do worse than 4-5-1 away, particularly with Maynard up front (and I mean no disrespect to Dele, who's been great for us).

Part of building a side we can be proud of is surely to use the few Academy prospects in our squad who do have genuine quality - i.e. Ribiero and Wilson, and I personally would like to see this done as soon as possible.

That's obviously not an option for Ribeiro at the moment. Who would Wilson get in ahead of?

4-5-1 was fine for the majority of last season. It actually creates chances - generally - because we keep the ball on the deck and play to out strengths. We could certainly do worse than 4-5-1 away, particularly with Maynard up front (and I mean no disrespect to Dele, who's been great for us).

That's obviously not an option for Ribeiro at the moment. Who would Wilson get in ahead of?

We played 4-5-1 last season and had one of the poorer goalscoring records in the league. We do not create enough chances at all. How many gilt edged chances do our forwards get - hardly any. How many games have you come away thinking that we should have won but for missed chances or that we should have won by a hatful? Hardly any. Last season we were successful due to a high number of clean sheets and taking one of the few clear cut chances we had in many games.

4-5-1 is a far from ideal system used by Premier League clubs absolutely $h1t scared of getting relegated and now being used by some Championship clubs too. I accept that we need a five man midfield to compensate for the quality creative player with an engine that we lack at present. Based on last weeks performances and from what my old man has told me happened today you could drop either McCombe or Fontaine and stick Wilson in alongside Carey. I am not advocating that but would point out that the current options are not playing so well that Wilson should never get a look in. The lad, at least, should be getting similar experience to the Southampton game where he perhaps comes on when we are winning late on to shore us up defensively (or maybe today when the game was lost would have been a good time to bring him on if he happened to be on the bench).

Neil Warnock didn't f00k about. He had injuries and suspensions and gave a 17 year old kid his debut today. We seem to be scared to do the same and it will cost us in the long run when families of promising young kids look at our abysmal record of bringing players through and decide to send little Johnnie elsewhere.

Derby

QPR

We should probably have got a point v Birmingham

Didn't go to Cardiff or Barnsley so can't really comment there.

Derby I remember thinking we should have been out of sight by half time. Second half we sat back and were $h1t.

QPR with ten men and Birmingham were the better teams at Ashton Gate unless my memory has gone.

Cardiff - Maynard created one chance for himself and missed one. Cardiff should have been out of sight after twenty minutes.

Barnsley - was flipping $h1te and we didn't create a worthwhile chance all afternoon.

And, if my memory serves me correctly, we were playing 4-4-2 in all the above games except Barnsley.

Going back to the original post, I walked out of wembley and thought to myself, wow, great season, lets hope we can get somewhere close to this again.

After a few days I thought that, actually, I would prefer to see us consolidate for a couple of seasons and go up when the new ground is ready. I still think that, but GJ's comment at the start of the season about aiming for a top two finish has caused false hope because alot of people then believed it was what we were after this season. I am convinced Lansdown and Johnson don't want to go up until we are in the new ground, and we will see a couple years of change taking place now whereby the squad is turned slowly into a premier league squad.

Great thread Greebo.

I've said since the begining of this season I think we'll finish between 10th and 5th, and I still stand by that.

The way this league is going it is likely going to be as open below 3rd or 4th as it was last year. You can pick one or two dead-cert results every week (usually Wolves or Brum to win) otherwise it's difficult to call any game, which means bad/good runs of form mean precious little at this stage. Unless a few more teams above us start to win consistantly we are always in with a chance of progression up the table.

I'd fully agree with all these points, with the only difference (and this is an opinion that some might not agree with) being that Brian Wilson could prove to be decent competition for right wing and/or right back if given more than just a 'understudy' role in each.

I am an pretty die-hard optimist it's true and contiune to think that Gary Johnson is the best manager for us right now, but we need to look at a few things. We've got some decent raw materials with which to create a solid footballing side, what is required is a decision on how we move on. Do we go for broke and do a Stoke or a Bolton i.e. buying to go up, regardless of how it happens, using ageing warhorses and negative tactics, or do we work on creating a 'footballing' side fashioned in the spirit of flowing, passing football, which takes a longer time and a degree of patience, not just from the team but the fans too.

Good original post. We have to be realistic in what we can aim for and as has been said many times, last season really did in some ways build us up to expect too much this season. We are no longer the team on a rollercoaster ride and no loner as greebo suggested an unkown commodity. Personally i saw this season as the season where we would hopefully bring in some more players and really consolidate our club as a strong Championship team. It would be great whilst doing so to push for the play offs, but in changing and tweaking our squad it will be a transitional period. I think now after the exploits of last season that the squad does nee a re-shuffle and some fresh faces, some plaers need to move on as i think we've lost the buzz so to speak that we had last season. I'd like to see some new faces in jan, and the suggestions that greebo has made on the whole seem fair enough to me.

This club still needs building, and GJ is certainly the man to do that, i think he has actually made his job a little harder by moving ahead of scheldule last season. When we got promoted, i would have taken the following.

1st Season: Survive at any costs(look what is happening to Forest and Donny this year)

2nd: Top 15 with no real threat of relegation during the season.

3rd: Mid table/Top ten

I'd personally not even looked any further ahead and had certainly not been thinking about promotion any time soon.

Good original post. We have to be realistic in what we can aim for and as has been said many times, last season really did in some ways build us up to expect too much this season. We are no longer the team on a rollercoaster ride and no loner as greebo suggested an unkown commodity. Personally i saw this season as the season where we would hopefully bring in some more players and really consolidate our club as a strong Championship team. It would be great whilst doing so to push for the play offs, but in changing and tweaking our squad it will be a transitional period. I think now after the exploits of last season that the squad does nee a re-shuffle and some fresh faces, some plaers need to move on as i think we've lost the buzz so to speak that we had last season. I'd like to see some new faces in jan, and the suggestions that greebo has made on the whole seem fair enough to me.

This club still needs building, and GJ is certainly the man to do that, i think he has actually made his job a little harder by moving ahead of scheldule last season. When we got promoted, i would have taken the following.

1st Season: Survive at any costs(look what is happening to Forest and Donny this year)

2nd: Top 15 with no real threat of relegation during the season.

3rd: Mid table/Top ten

I'd personally not even looked any further ahead and had certainly not been thinking about promotion any time soon.

I think that's a fair assessment.

The team performed admirably last season and, on the back of that, GJ repaid them by showing faith in them and keeping changes to a minimum over the summer.

However, I'm sure it's becoming increasingly clear to him that some are not repaying that faith with performance levels he would expect and will be moved on when possible. I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see a slightly busier January than we've experienced under GJ up to now.

I'm sure GJ has a very good take on who is still up for the fight and who needs a new challenge elsewhere, and will make the changes accordingly.

Having said that, I think we all need to remember that this is no longer League One and not being in the top six all season doesn't mean we need to hit the panic button, that we aren't moving in the right direction and that we aren't building as we go along.

If, over the next three or four years, we establish ourselves as a consistent top ten Championship club, I think that will be a very strong footing from which to take us on to the next level when the opportunity presents itself.

I think this question needs to be answered by our overall expectations of this club and its short, medium and long term future. I personally am not unhappy with mid table championship, some years fighting down at the bottom, some battling for promotion. Supporting City for me is all about meeting my friends before over a few pints, watching the game, sometimes loving it sometimes hating it but still wanting to come back next game not knowing whats going to happen. If we want to be in the premier league and as such have to sell our home and be at loggerheads with the manager, certain players and even each other (which seems to be the trend currently) then WTF is wrong with staying at AG and just enjoying what we have?! The "memories of AG" thread really got me thinking that I will feel really sad about leaving our ground, the ground that we have all contributed to creating. I don't want this to sound all people power but if we want consistent premier league action then that comes at a price. I think if SL and GJ have a game plan then they need to communicate this and show us the strategy so we all get on board and stop getting annoyed yet unfortunately GJ says judge me at the end of the season which is never a great way to win over hearts and minds IMO.

Archived