IGNORED

Maynard

BS3_RED

Maynard was a threat all night and deserved his goal. He covered lots of ground and was back defending at times. He looked like a class act. Only a week ago I thought he looked as if he was lacking in confidence but goals make all the difference and tonight he was excellant.

As some one else said - Well done that man.

Certainly changing my opinion of him which wasn't exactly high until I had a good chat with a mate who convinced me I was expecting too much, too early.

Thought he took the goal really well and the last few games is showing a bit of fight, which was missing in his earlier games.

He's still getting knocked off the ball on occasion, but, that will happen against big defenders. Difference is now it is less frequent and when it happens he is up and back at them; good to see.

Also, he has some decent passing ability when involved in play not so far up the pitch which we didn't see for many weeks as he didn't tend to look for the ball in those areas. All round good improvement and deserves another few games.

Certainly changing my opinion of him which wasn't exactly high until I had a good chat with a mate who convinced me I was expecting too much, too early.

Thought he took the goal really well and the last few games is showing a bit of fight, which was missing in his earlier games.

He's still getting knocked off the ball on occasion, but, that will happen against big defenders. Difference is now it is less frequent and when it happens he is up and back at them; good to see.

Also, he has some decent passing ability when involved in play not so far up the pitch which we didn't see for many weeks as he didn't tend to look for the ball in those areas. All round good improvement and deserves another few games.

I also thought his overhead kick was in!! that looked like a very good effort from where i was sat1

Fair play to Maynard tonight...

That was the kind of finishing we were expecting from him when he signed.

Lets hope the lad continues to progress, but don't expect him to hold the ball up well or challenge for high balls lumped forward...simply not his game.

We feed him the right balls, he will repay the 2.25 million we paid for him,

Tomo

Was delighted when we signed him and very excited after he ripped Antwerp apart pre season. A decent start then faded. Saw him a few weeks ago in the reserves vs reading and to me he looked short of confidence and to be honest like he was hiding.

I must admit to thinking how hard it would be for him to turn this around, then within a week he scored for the ressies, scored at Palace with a confident finish and tonight looked at it from the first whistle. He was making runs all night with no reward then when his chance came took it with aplomb. Just watched his City world interview and the dour, boring NM looks to have been replaced by a determined and confident young striker. Well played Nick, keep it going!

He was awesome 2nite, throughly deserved MOM.

I'd hardly say the guy was "awesome". He did well though and had probally his best game for us yet, but he still gets caught offside far to much....and at times when there is no excuses.

He needs to work on his timing aswell, far to many times, first half especially, him and John were pretty much sat in each others lap on say, the left hand side of the box, where as Noble had the ball out right. Maynard needs to be making his diagonal runs a lot sooner to pull defenders all over the place.

Getting better though and definately will make it at this level

I'd hardly say the guy was "awesome". He did well though and had probally his best game for us yet, but he still gets caught offside far to much....and at times when there is no excuses.

He needs to work on his timing aswell, far to many times, first half especially, him and John were pretty much sat in each others lap on say, the left hand side of the box, where as Noble had the ball out right. Maynard needs to be making his diagonal runs a lot sooner to pull defenders all over the place.

Getting better though and definately will make it at this level

he gets caught offside because he is making runs that arent often spotted until its slightly too late ... but if you have a problem with a foward trying to get in behind then you must have loved seeing watford last night

I thought that a lot of the offsides given against him were harsh - a very poor performance from the officials last night.

(Hell, the assistant on the Dolman side couldn't even tell who had touched the ball last... was it twice he gave a corner when the Watford players were all trudging up to half way line ready for a goal kick?)

His problem is his style of play - he often is in line and then accelerates to get behind the defender. Unfortunately if the assistant is watching the ball he will appear offside. I'm not saying it's his fault, it's just why it's happening a lot.

he gets caught offside because he is making runs that arent often spotted until its slightly too late ... but if you have a problem with a foward trying to get in behind then you must have loved seeing watford last night

totally agree, as a former top striker myself (!) appreciate he can make runs like that all day - if he gets caught offside a few times so what. Always thought he should play off the shoulder of the last defender more. He has lacked decent service (as have the other strikers) for the last few years....

totally agree, as a former top striker myself (!) appreciate he can make runs like that all day - if he gets caught offside a few times so what. Always thought he should play off the shoulder of the last defender more. He has lacked decent service (as have the other strikers) for the last few years....

Problem is for Maynard he has to keep making those runs and get caught offside until the midfielders start to get a more instinctual feel for where he will look to move and are able to play the ball earlier. I hope he does it, even if he's offside half a dozen times that a price worth paying for one clean through opportunity.

I hope he does it, even if he's offside half a dozen times that a price worth paying for one clean through opportunity.

exactly.

Re movement from earlier in thread;

Maynard and John ( who was very ordinary i thought) were guilty of making the same runs a fair amount but they are not use to each others styles. I was v impressed with Watfords front 2 though.

Their movement off the ball was excellent especially when they pulled our centre halfs out of pos ( many many times) allowing a runner in or around the back.

One more word on Maynard, First half he gets a break in the box and has a narrow angle to beat the keeper, after his nervous start to his city career and the audible doubts about his ability i fully expected him to either snatch at it or welly it but he came up with a deft little chip which Mcindoe ( will EVERYONE please get off his back) couldnt convert.

Quality.

Confidence.

youth.

Getting caught offside whilst trying to make runs is ok, but its not just when he is trying to make runs. He gets caught offside sometimes when he is ball watching and stood still, at one point he got flagged off side about 10 yards into Watfords half the other night from a long ball freekicj by Basso!

I'm not criticising the lad, Ive always been a fan of Maynard and he will continue to get better and better, but he is still very much a diamond in the rough at the minute. All I was saying was, although Tuesday was his best performance for us by far, I wouldnt describe him as "awesome"

Archived