IGNORED

Johnson's Signings

Big Man

As I was sat at the game last night, I wondered how effective Johnson actually is in the transfer market. He appears to buy players who he knows well (the Yeovil lot) but his other signings are not so good. It has always intrigued me why a bigger club has not come calling for his services. Do they know that he can't deal with top players? Just a thought.......

As I was sat at the game last night, I wondered how effective Johnson actually is in the transfer market. He appears to buy players who he knows well (the Yeovil lot) but his other signings are not so good. It has always intrigued me why a bigger club has not come calling for his services. Do they know that he can't deal with top players? Just a thought.......

Agreed Elliott is S**t, so is Trunds. so is Basso, that Maynard is not worth a place in the reserves let alone the 1st team.

Amazing amount of revisionism going on at the moment, isn't there?

John Ward spent nearly £800k on Torpey and Dyche, Danny Wilson spent £600k on Peacock, Tony Pulis wasted £725k on Steve Jones and Beadle whereas GJ got us promoted assembling a side for less than any one of those signings.

Have a long look at yourselves if you really think he's been a poor in the transfer market in comparison with any of the above.

John Ward spent nearly £800k on Torpey and Dyche, Danny Wilson spent £600k on Peacock, Tony Pulis wasted £725k on Steve Jones and Beadle whereas GJ got us promoted assembling a side for less than any one of those signings.

Have a long look at yourselves if you really think he's been a poor in the transfer market in comparison with any of the above.

Well said.

Doesn't mean we don't need at least 5/6 signings though

His loan signings have been p*ss poor but i'ld say with the exception of Sproule and Betsy (both right wingers?????) the rest of the perm. signing have done ok

I think betsy wasnt a long time signing, just a signing to help us make it to the championship and therefore a good signing

in league one - fantastic, Noble, McCombe, Fontaine, Basso, McAllister being probably the best

since promotion to championship.........so great, some duff and a few still undecided.

good - McIndoe, Elliott, Dele,

duff/still alot to prove - maynard, trundle, sproule, williams, byfield, Carle (based on the fact Gary didn't rate him)

I've probably missed a couple, but I can see some people's points about some of his recent signings, that said Maynard and Trundle will both hopefully come good in time.

agreed 2 duds have been sproule and betsy the rest have been pretty to very good , also mark my words maynard will come good

The goal he scored last night was very classy I'm sure theres more of that to come

think Betsy was a good signing, he was needed and without him, I'm unsure if we would have went up.

in league one - fantastic, Noble, McCombe, Fontaine, Basso, McAllister being probably the best

since promotion to championship.........so great, some duff and a few still undecided.

good - McIndoe, Elliott, Dele,

duff/still alot to prove - maynard, trundle, sproule, williams, byfield, Carle (based on the fact Gary didn't rate him)

I've probably missed a couple, but I can see some people's points about some of his recent signings, that said Maynard and Trundle will both hopefully come good in time.

trundle has got to be his best signing by a mile, if for entertainment value alone. I know that i enjoy the match a lot more when trundle is on the pitch, and his (admittedly very few) goals have all been very memorable. Having Trundle in a side is like having the infamous "12th man"; everyone gets right behind the lads whenever he 's anywhere to be seen!

trundle has got to be his best signing by a mile, if for entertainment value alone. I know that i enjoy the match a lot more when trundle is on the pitch, and his (admittedly very few) goals have all been very memorable. Having Trundle in a side is like having the infamous "12th man"; everyone gets right behind the lads whenever he 's anywhere to be seen!

How on earth can a player who cost £1m and has scored about 7 times be GJ's best signing? Answer is, he isn't. He has been very average, regardless of how much 'entertainment' value he brings.

Marvin Elliott was a free transfer and has contributed far on the pitch (almost as many goals too I should imagine).

Guest ashtonyate
.y memorable. Having Trundle in a side is like having the infamous "12th man"; everyone gets right behind the lads whenever he 's anywhere to be seen!

Well if you think Trundle is his best signing then god help us I just cannot believe how fans think he is so good

I am amazed, he was a bad signing costing us around 3 Million pounds over his contract.

Johnson does not leave him out because he so good he leaves him out because he is not worth his place for all the game 20 minutes at the end maybe.

For the record Elloitt is his best signing with out a doubt

Guest ashtonyate
not without doubt at all.

McCombe for 5k............says it all

Don't get me wrong I like Mccome but I don't think he will ever play in the prem where I think Elloitt will do sooner or later

Loans and signings will always get conjecture amongst us fans, so I will lay out those who stayed and played more good than bad [A] and those who did some good but were not good enough for GJ to keep on the staff, [ B ]

A] Basso, Noble, Fontaine, Johnson, McAllister, B Wilson, Elliot, McIndoe, McCombe, Trundle, Carle, Weale, Maynard, G Williams, S John, Adebola, Akinde.

B] Savage, Sankofa, McCammon, Youga, Quinn, Madjo, Andrews, Jevons, Showumni, Betsy, Smith, Wright, ,Corr, Sproule, Vasko, Webster.

Now thats around 50/50 and some names could be in either list, we all have opinions on that. Carle would draw the most arguement, however a name here or there wont change things much. Its about 50/50 based on the players that GJ released. There are a few others involved to a very minor degree, then you have Ribiero and James Wilso who have been given 4 year contracts by GJ and others from the Academy released last season and before.

think Betsy was a good signing, he was needed and without him, I'm unsure if we would have went up.

Agree with this. We needed someone. He played 20 odd times in a promotion team, he wasn't that bad, he wasn't outstanding either but was 6.5 out of ten for his time here. Would we have done so well with JMW in the team? Absolutely not.

I don't think any of our signings would make it in the Prem yet, but we're not playing there. With LT23 in the team we hit 4th in the championship over a season. He didn't score the goals but the system definitely plays a part in that.

The only doubts are teh guys this season who've yet to shine. Williams can't get a good run, Maynard started slowly. GJ's job isn't to make individual players look great, it's to make the team finish as high up the table as possible. I think we're very close to doing that again this season.

The team needs an overhaul to take it to the level of the top 5-6 teams in this league. We shall see how GJ gets on over time with that. Then judge, because right now his signings have done the job they've been brought in for. To get us up, and challenge at the right end of the table.

Is anyone looking at the relegation zone this season? I'm not at all, that's what his signings have done to this club.

torpey was quality

peacock was our best player at the time

beadle scored a few, including a winner against the gas

they were worth the money in my eyes

torpey was quality

I'm with you on Peacock, thought he was a good buy at the time and certainly done a job for us. Whether he was worth £600k is another question, I guess this was the time when transfer fees had gone crazy though and it was a sellers market. Not so sure about Torpey being 'quality' but another who done a job. The thing that endeared my to Torpey was when he said he walk from Swansea to sign for City - now I'm sure the payrise had something to do with it, but I like to hear that kind of stuff!

I think a number of GJ's early loan signings were brought in to make a point to the rest of the squad rather than for their own qualities. Players like Quinn and Savage were signed to say to the likes of Marcus Stewart "I don't care how good you are, I want players who'll play for me so shape up or ship out".

On the whole I think Johnson has been very good in the transfer market. He seems to like to sort his squad out in the summer and see how things pan out and he won't be panicked into making signings, unlike some former managers who would happily spend £200k on Marc Goodfellow out of sheer desperation.

Bear in mind he brought us Basso, McCombe, McCalister & Fontaine - almost an entire defence for pracically nothing.

Elliott & McIndoe have struggled this season but l would say have done enough to be classed as successes.

Maynard is looking like he may come good.

The only real disappointments so far are Trundle (who could still pull things round), Williams (but its v early) & Sproule (who sadly as I am a big fan of pacy wingers, just doesn't seem to have it).

Overall I'd say pretty good - even Fergie signs some duff ones - Veron, Djemba Djemba, David Bellion & the abysmal Italian keeper.

I'm with you on Peacock, thought he was a good buy at the time and certainly done a job for us. Whether he was worth £600k is another question, I guess this was the time when transfer fees had gone crazy though and it was a sellers market. Not so sure about Torpey being 'quality' but another who done a job. The thing that endeared my to Torpey was when he said he walk from Swansea to sign for City - now I'm sure the payrise had something to do with it, but I like to hear that kind of stuff!

maybe quality is a bit OTT, but he was certainly one of the most under-rated players in the team at the time, wasnt a bad player and always committed to the cause.

torpey was quality

Torpey wasn't quality. Effort couldn't be faulted, & was critisised unfairly at times, but quality (and value for money at £400,000)? No.

Beadle was fat & overpaid. He scored a goal against the Gas (the 2nd of our 3), but if that's a main reason for rating the bloke, what about the sitter in the match at the rugby ground in the game we lost 2-0? Three goals for the Gas against us, one against the Gas for us. Signed for £250,000 when we were in League One & left for free when we were still in League One.

Peacock was ok. However, his goal drought towards the end of the 03/04 season didn't do us many favours when we finished 3rd. Partly Wilson's fault for continually picking him, it has to be said. He was also a major part of the drinking culture at the club. Signed for £600,000 when we were in League One & left for nothing (I think) when we were in League One.

On the whole I think Johnson has been very good in the transfer market. He seems to like to sort his squad out in the summer and see how things pan out and he won't be panicked into making signings, unlike some former managers who would happily spend £200k on Marc Goodfellow out of sheer desperation.

With respect Dan, I think the signing of Maynard at £2.25million could be perceived as being something of a panic signing, following the collapse of the Meteb and Mifsud deals so close to the start of the season.

With respect Dan, I think the signing of Maynard at £2.25million could be perceived as being something of a panic signing, following the collapse of the Meteb and Mifsud deals so close to the start of the season.

You obviously missed the comment that 'Maynard was always our first choice, but was too expensive at first' after he'd signed.

You obviously missed the comment that 'Maynard was always our first choice, but was too expensive at first' after he'd signed.

No, I remember that comment being made, but the club had obviously decided he wasn't worth the money being asked and it was only after the collapse of the other deals that the club went back to the drawing board and signed him (for more money than Crewe originally wanted, if rumours are to be believed).

The decision to pay more for Maynard than was originally planned may have been prompted by the collapse of the Meteb and Mifsud deals, but the decision to sign him wasn't. He was always Johnson's first choice and he's said as much. He should also be a better signing than either of the other two being young, English and very highly rated (rated as potentially better than Dean Ashton by Dario Gradi I believe).

There's a whole world of difference between paying a little more for a good prospect and paying over the odds for a complete reject of a player when better ones would have been available at the time (Parry or McIndoe to name a couple of options).

Archived