IGNORED

Central Midfield

Mrdeady

Greetings everyone, I thought I would make my annual post!

Firstly this is not a dig at any of our players or LJ as that has definitley been done to death.

Does anyone remember John Wards first season in charge, he brought in David Howells on loan from Tottenham and that changed the whole team, one quality central midfielder can gel the entire team together and bring out the best in all the players around him.

Wholesale changes are not required, just a small influx of quality would benefit the whole team. There are good players at this club, a strong central midfielder who always wants the ball and who is always looking to play an attacking ball could make all the difference!

Firstly this is not a dig at any of our players or LJ as that has definitley been done to death.

Does anyone remember John Wards first season in charge, he brought in David Howells on loan from Tottenham and that changed the whole team, one quality central midfielder can gel the entire team together and bring out the best in all the players around him.

Wholesale changes are not required, just a small influx of quality would benefit the whole team. There are good players at this club, a strong central midfielder who always wants the ball and who is always looking to play an attacking ball could make all the difference!

Yes, I remember. Howells was really at the fag end of his career but he was an experienced pro brought into balance the midfield. Did not a bad job but don't think he played a great deal for the City.

I also remember Clayton Blackmore and thought he looked very good at the time. I think these kind of players would be good additions to the squad if we could find them.

The year GJ took over we were in last position just before Christmas. Enter Noble into our center midfield and we almost made the play offs, with Noble running the midfield with Russell and the up and coming Skuse. He can do the job alright. The following season saw Noble with a pre season injury, LJ was signed and since then Noble has not had a chance in his old position in a 4-4-2 formation.

It seems to suit GJ with LJ 's style in the center midfield, but Nobles successful half season in the position had fans raving about his sheer footballing ability and how he could read and run a game. He managed 90 minute matches then and he's only 26. He has shown he can compete at this level even whilst playing out of position.

We don't see what goes on at training, however I would like to see Noble get a run in his old center midfield position.

Sorry to be pedantic, but it was Benny Lennartson who signed Howells on loan from Southampton in season 1998-99, whilst steering our titanic side into the deep blue sea of relegation.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Howells

Furthermore, I don't think that Noble is the answer, based on his inconsistent record over 3 seasons at Ashton Gate. I'd look for someone better (if he's out there.............'hello!').

It seems to suit GJ with LJ 's style in the center midfield, but Nobles successful half season in the position had fans raving about his sheer footballing ability and how he could read and run a game. He managed 90 minute matches then and he's only 26. He has shown he can compete at this level even whilst playing out of position.

We don't see what goes on at training, however I would like to see Noble get a run in his old center midfield position.

BB always used to claim that LJ and Noble couldn't play together in the same midfield and maybe Johnson Sr sees it the same way. Theres no doubt in my mind that Noble is a great asset to the team and should start every game but playing him wide right is a waste of his sublime footballing skills imo. He wasn't as effective on Tuesday night because of his position. On the few occiasions that drifted inside he played some delightfull passes - some of which were too clever for his team mates.

Although Elliot is not yet back to last years form he is nevertheless crucial in midfield, which in a 4-4-2 leaves only other other midfield spot and LJ gets the nod every game. Noble either gets the right wide spot or doesn't get picked.

City would have to plaY 5 accross the middle to get Noble and LJ both in the middle.

Archived