IGNORED

Post-city Success

Jungle Jim

In light of Bradley being the latest to decide he has a brighter future away from the Gate, I was thinking how many players could I think of that have actually succeeded since leaving City. As a rough definition of success, still playing regularly in a higher standard about 2 years after leaving.

That I can think of:

Andy Cole

Shaun Goater

Liam Rosenior

Matt Hill

Rob Edwards

Leroy Lita (dubious!)

That doesn't add up to many from the last 20 years, can you think of any others?

If u don't class Lita as a success you cant really count Rosenior or Matt Hill (espeically the latter)

Rosenior imo has done very well for himself, when he was here i don't think many of us would have thought he would go on to play regularly in the prem.

Is that a reflection on the coaching standards at the Gate? We havent brought through many successful home grown players who have gone on to much better things! In fact we havent had a set of decent young and home grown players since the promotion side of 1976 when the average age was about 22!

Unfortunately, though it pains me to say it, the Gas have been more successful on this front over the years, maybe not so much recently - especially in terms of the forwards that have gone on to the top div (although some didnt stay there!)

Stewart, Roberts, Penrice, Zamora, Ellington, Hayles etc And a certain England keeper - Martyn! Certainly a better list than we can produce!

OUr "top" youngsters dissappear into the ether! Remember Alex Ferguson was sniffing around Marvin Brown who was the next best thing and he is now playing for Weston or similar! His brother and Clayton Fortune didnt do much better!

Lets hope we get some from the current crop as we will need a Bristolian to replace Carey soon! I know Skuse is here but will he be a regular for years?!

:fingerscrossed:

Rosenior imo has done very well for himself, when he was here i don't think many of us would have thought he would go on to play regularly in the prem.

yeah but my point was someone said Lita success was "debatable", Lita scored about 10 goals for Reading in the Prem. Surely if Rosenor is a success so is Lita? I know Lita gone off rails a bit lately, but he playing at same level as Rosenior, in fact the same level as us!

In light of Bradley being the latest to decide he has a brighter future away from the Gate, I was thinking how many players could I think of that have actually succeeded since leaving City. As a rough definition of success, still playing regularly in a higher standard about 2 years after leaving.

That I can think of:

Andy Cole

Shaun Goater

Liam Rosenior

Matt Hill

Rob Edwards

Leroy Lita (dubious!)

That doesn't add up to many from the last 20 years, can you think of any others?

Mike Hooper, Sören Andersen

Archived