IGNORED

New Forum Rules

edson

I find it all a bit confusing. You say that their are new forum rules and then post a link to the rules that were here before. I think that what you are really trying to do is change the disciplinary procedure, not the rules.

The disciplinary procedure as presented seems OK but, as mentioned already, may cause a lot of work for the moderators.

As for the forum rules, themselves, I really wish you would run a spell/grammar check through them. Also, at one point, they read as:

Warnings/bans can be issued for the following reasons (though not limited to):

The "thought not limited to" bit kind of makes a mockery of the whole thing. In other words, warnings or bans can be dished out willy nilly.

Also, they go on to suggest that you can receive a warning or a ban just for posting a reply.

...Replies

which also kind of makes a mockery of the whole idea of a discussion forum.

Good evening.

I find it all a bit confusing. You say that their are new forum rules and then post a link to the rules that were here before. I think that what you are really trying to do is change the disciplinary procedure, not the rules.

The disciplinary procedure as presented seems OK but, as mentioned already, may cause a lot of work for the moderators.

As for the forum rules, themselves, I really wish you would run a spell/grammar check through them. Also, at one point, they read as:

Warnings/bans can be issued for the following reasons (though not limited to):

The "thought not limited to" bit kind of makes a mockery of the whole thing. In other words, warnings or bans can be dished out willy nilly.

Also, they go on to suggest that you can receive a warning or a ban just for posting a reply.

...Replies

which also kind of makes a mockery of the whole idea of a discussion forum.

Good evening.

Totally Agree, it all seems a bit OTT......many problems happen purely because some of the "possibly younger element" get a bit carried away and threads turn to chaos, it's down to all users to just use the report button and for the mods to then deal with these people instead of getting into something silly like, moving threads because it mod thinks it's a joke, or locking a thread because someone turns it into an bitching match because they don't like the views being expressed.

People need to use the report problem for anything that is deemed abuse, but mods also need to do something, I've used it in the past and it's seemed rather pointless so didn't bother again, I'm sure many others possibly feel the same, it's also no suprise that since the chaos many longtime posters have stopped posting and gone elsewhere to another forum which seems to be growing in numbers, that's not good for this forum.

Totally Agree, it all seems a bit OTT......many problems happen purely because some of the "possibly younger element" get a bit carried away and threads turn to chaos, it's down to all users to just use the report button and for the mods to then deal with these people instead of getting into something silly like, moving threads because it mod thinks it's a joke, or locking a thread because someone turns it into an bitching match because they don't like the views being expressed.

People need to use the report problem for anything that is deemed abuse, but mods also need to do something, I've used it in the past and it's seemed rather pointless so didn't bother again, I'm sure many others possibly feel the same, it's also no suprise that since the chaos many longtime posters have stopped posting and gone elsewhere to another forum which seems to be growing in numbers, that's not good for this forum.

Yeah, we appreciate that, which is why we're implementing this new system which will hopefully be a lot clearer and encourage people to use the report button rather than respond in kind to any abuse.

We're well aware that the warning and report system wasn't working effectively, which doubtless put some people off bothering with it, so we hope this will help that situation.

What i will say about the general rules here is that..

Months ago in a thread i used a swearword but i censored it with stars. I then received a warning not to do it and was moderated for a month.

Yet i`ve seen other members on here use swearwords (wether censored or not) and not been banned or not seen the posts deleted as far as i`ve seen (which mine with the censored swearword was). I`m not a regular here, so maybe there`s been a lot of action taken that i`ve missed.

This kinda thing is not a level playing field. You are bound to get swearwords on a board like this. But if they`re censored then i think there shouldn`t much of an issue with it. Uncensored swearwords by people and they should be warned about it.

The censored swearwords should remain on the board, but the mods deleting the uncensored swearwords is fair enough.

In the midst of an excellent article in today's Guardian about Roy Keane I was struck by the following:

Football is football, though, and the game has become so obsessed with itself that context and perspective have vanished entirely as concepts. Football now gets itself into such a dizzying state of agitation over some inane piece of trivia that all the known pyrotechnics of controversy and outrage will no longer be adequate.

Football has altered our entire concept of time. Everything is accelerated. You can become a crisis club in less time than it takes to spell the words crisis club.

For me it's this kind of culture, allied to the way the internet also accelerates everything, that leads to some of the stuff these rules are designed to tackle. Shame adults (it's not just the younger element) can lose any sense of perspective about football but they do. So I'm all for the rules and supporting the mods on this.

Archived