IGNORED

Why Was Sproule Subbed Today?

cityfan

Went past his defender every time, had his best game for some while and we take him off.

I agree, was it just me or was Stern useless today? I was amazed he wasn't taken off and that maynard was. Sproule beat his man a few times today when he was wide but lacked end product. I thought we looked happy with the 0-0 at the end.. strange subs and too much negativity for me.

The disallowed goal incident did seem to unsettle him a bit, the red mist descended and he spent a lot of time arguing with the linesman and then the Ref. He then really seemed to get stuck in and upped his game shortly after, trying to prove a point, but was getting frustrated with decisions maybe. Perhaps Johnson thought it better to take him off before he talked or actioned himself into being sent off?

Sproule was one of the better players today. had the left back in his pocket, if he would of stayed on we may have scored and the left back would have got sent off... but once again GJ got everything wrong and made the wrong subs. I'm really starting to doubt weather he can take us any further?

I have to say I thought Sproule had a very good 15 minutes or so in the second half - just before he was taken off, so the question is a fair one.

For most of the game, though, including the whole first half, I thought it was typical Sproule: his positional sense is abysmal and he makes it difficult for others to pass to him, often checking back when he should be racing into the space in front of him. And when he did get the ball, he just ran it into defenders and lost it.

But he did start doing the things that would make him a dangerous player later on, including some good crosses. If he could do that more often he could be an asset to the team. For me, though, I'm not sure he has what it takes to be a consistently good player at this level.

I agree, was it just me or was Stern useless today? I was amazed he wasn't taken off and that maynard was. Sproule beat his man a few times today when he was wide but lacked end product. I thought we looked happy with the 0-0 at the end.. strange subs and too much negativity for me.

Totally agree. Stern John was lazy and is only here for his wages no passion for this club. I think sproules end product was far better than Mcindoe who was absoloutely dire. Very strange dare I say poor substitutions made. Maynard and Trundle to start next week.

I seem to remember about a month ago I called for Sproule to be given a shot, he scored the following game and was prompty dropped, good to see him given another run out. Hopefully he'll get a regular spot on the right. Gives us so much more width as opposed to when Williams came on.

The disallowed goal incident did seem to unsettle him a bit, the red mist descended and he spent a lot of time arguing with the linesman and then the Ref. He then really seemed to get stuck in and upped his game shortly after, trying to prove a point, but was getting frustrated with decisions maybe. Perhaps Johnson thought it better to take him off before he talked or actioned himself into being sent off?

Good call this. I couldn't believe the substitution because Ivan was the most dangerous looking player on the pitch by a mile. But you're right, he did seem to be losing the plot and getting very frustrated after the 'goal' so guess GJ got it right. Still can't understand subbing Maynard mind.

Good call this. I couldn't believe the substitution because Ivan was the most dangerous looking player on the pitch by a mile. But you're right, he did seem to be losing the plot and getting very frustrated after the 'goal' so guess GJ got it right. Still can't understand subbing Maynard mind.

Maynard may have been struggling with the injury he had been treated for earlier. Shame because I'd liked to have seen him link up with Trundle and still hope we'll see the pairing soon.

As for Sproule, dreadful first half with the usual ballooned and overhit crosses but several good moments in the second including one of the only accurate crosses I've see from him for some time. All too many occasions when he didn't make himself available though - on one occasion Skuse was eventually crunched after he waited and waited for Ivan to show he wanted the ball and it never happened. My guess he was subbed because he was knackered.

Thought Sprouley had a good game today - if he could put in dangerous crosses he'd be a very big threat indeed. Keep it up Ivan!

You have just summed it all up by using the word "IF",

IF I was good enough I would be playing, but sadly I'm not.

Sproule was awful in the first half, constantly coming inside, the one time he took the ball outside the full back in the 2nd half he sprinted past him and 2 others and put in a good cross, unfortunately this was the only time he did it.

He stands still when he should be moving into space and is obviously not the cleverest.

All these romantic notions that he had a good game today are unbelievable, he was poor, he is poor and hopefully will be replaced in January, if Scott Murray can not do better then it's time for Scott to retire, personally I think Scott is twice the player that Sproule is

your have a point there which reminds me of something when we first signed Ivan, his reputation from Hibs was that he could be a world beater one week and the next a nutter getting sent off for going crazy.

When Sproule joined, Gary said how he felt he would need to take some of the anger out of Ivan.

Ivan's never been sent off for City, which is obviously a good thing, however we haven't also seen his world beater streak very often either, possibly only 3/4 times.

Maybe too much anger has been taken out of his game which as improved disclinary record, but maybe taken some of the edge out of his game?

just a thought?

your have a point there which reminds me of something when we first signed Ivan, his reputation from Hibs was that he could be a world beater one week and the next a nutter getting sent off for going crazy.

When Sproule joined, Gary said how he felt he would need to take some of the anger out of Ivan.

Ivan's never been sent off for City, which is obviously a good thing, however we haven't also seen his world beater streak very often either, possibly only 3/4 times.

Maybe too much anger has been taken out of his game which as improved disclinary record, but maybe taken some of the edge out of his game?

just a thought?

Look, you can flower it up any way you want, ramble on about his disciplinary record and his current good boy image, the fact is he is not very good and constantly reminds us of this fact.

Look, you can flower it up any way you want, ramble on about his disciplinary record and his current good boy image, the fact is he is not very good and constantly reminds us of this fact.

Ran rings round their left back in the second half. Those are just facts - he was our most dangerous player, and I'm not much of a fan of his but he does offer something different.

I think both wingers final ball was generally a let down although McIndoe in particular found Elliott for the "goal" and Stern John for the open goal that he should have buried. However, regardless of whether we have the right personnel to take us forward at present at least we were able to introduce some width in our play.

Despite the scoreline I left the ground for the first time in weeks, if not months, thinking that I saw the side in red trying to play a bit of football. It makes a nice change from seeing GJ trying to recreate the John Beck days at Cambridge that he was an integral part of and long may it continue. With a bit of luck and a few changes in personnel (loyalty to the League 1 promotion players has to go out of the window now) we may well have a more comfortable ride in the middle of the table than many fans fear at present.

I personally think, and have stated on this forum that i don't think that Sproule is good enough to play in the CCC. However I cannot cast judgement on his performance today as i was unable to make it to the Gate. I also remember someone mentioning that the Swans left-back had a poor game against Cardiff, is this why GJ used Sproule today?

As a winger Sproule has the ability and the attributes to be very good but unfortunaley for us is just very frustrating thus far. I hope he proves my wrong, like i do with every player that plays poorly or gets a load of stick. I will support any player that puts on a City shirt (within reason).

Most of the posts i have read about Sproule after todays game have been positive (which is what this forum needs) so long may it continue.

I personally think, and have stated on this forum that i don't think that Sproule is good enough to play in the CCC. However I cannot cast judgement on his performance today as i was unable to make it to the Gate. I also remember someone mentioning that the Swans left-back had a poor game against Cardiff, is this why GJ used Sproule today?

As a winger Sproule has the ability and the attributes to be very good but unfortunaley for us is just very frustrating thus far. I hope he proves my wrong, like i do with every player that plays poorly or gets a load of stick. I will support any player that puts on a City shirt (within reason).

Most of the posts i have read about Sproule after todays game have been positive (which is what this forum needs) so long may it continue.

Sproule was OK today in patches. The worst he showed today was collecting the ball on the right wing and running at speed - like a headless chicken straight across to the left wing - why the hell didn't he unleash a shot at some stage?

I was hoping Sproule would be replaced by Trundle at half time. Sproules only asset is his pace, so he needs to be more direct. His final ball is awful, at one point yesterday he cut in from the right wing ran accross the box and ended up on the left instead of taking on the full back and crossing fom the byline.

I thought Trundle should have played from the start against his old club from the wing perhaps alternating sides with mcindoe. Just imagine if you had a player with Sproules pace and Trundles skill! Thought stern John did well unlucky not to score with headers in each half, should have done better with the one in the first half but the keeper made a great double save in the second half effort.

Defence played well, Swansea did not trouble us too much, midfield battled well i thought Skuse played well and Elliot is still getting back to his best, needed Johnson or Noble in there as a play maker. Suprised Maynard came off but all in all good game we should have nicked.

The difference between this season to last is obviously expectations. We need to consentrate on staying up then have a look at the play offs. So another point towards safety!

Sproules only asset is his pace, so he needs to be more direct. His final ball is awful, at one point yesterday he cut in from the right wing ran accross the box and ended up on the left instead of taking on the full back and crossing fom the byline.

Exactly right. Johnson reckoned that the coaches had been working with Sproule in training - they need to go back to the drawing board if yesterdays poor end product is anything to go by.

Exactly right. Johnson reckoned that the coaches had been working with Sproule in training - they need to go back to the drawing board if yesterdays poor end product is anything to go by.

Ivan Sproule is a professional footballer why should our coaches have to waste time teaching him the basics? Ivan Sproule promised much - especially last season with his brilliant solo goal against Southampton. McIndoe on the left wing and Sproule on the right wing looked to be a winning combination. This season they're both mediocre.

Archived