IGNORED

Wilson Out?

Guest jazz66

So thats what big Joe did and I dont remember it taking him 4 years to do so either.

I don't recall him inheriting a squad of players assembled by 4 different mangers in the previous two years (Terry Cooper had been there for a good 7 years) and neither do I recall him inheriting a squad with a crippling wage bill.

The 89/90 season was also my best as a supporter (and I was devestated when Joe left us) but it could easily have been surpassed by last season if we had had a little more luck. That was a season that had almost everything - goals, flair, creativity, cup final - if we'd had promotion too (like we oh so nearly did) it would have the best yet.

I don't recall him inheriting a squad of players assembled by 4 different mangers in the previous two years (Terry Cooper had been there for a good 7 years) and neither do I recall him inheriting a squad with a crippling wage bill.

The 89/90 season was also my best as a supporter (and I was devestated when Joe left us) but it could easily have been surpassed by last season if we had had a little more luck. That was a season that had almost everything - goals, flair, creativity, cup final - if we'd had promotion too (like we oh so nearly did) it would have the best yet.

Disagree, last season could have been successful. Even if we had won promotion it would have still ranked below Jordan AND Ward promotion seasons from a quality of football point of view in my opinion.

Fair point but wouldn't have 72/73 earned a playoff place today? maybe he would have took us up 3 years sooner? :P
Purely hypothetical. Bit like saying if he had been sacked after 4 dismal seasons where would we have been.

There were no play offs in those days, 2 points for a win and only two up down until mid 70's.

I doubt if 5th place in 72/73 would have got us play off spot. If I remember correctly when play offs were introduced they were contested by the next two teams who did not get promoted and the two teams above the drop line (if this makes sense).

In 72/73 play offs would have involved 3rd and 4th in Div 2 and 19th and 20th in Div 1.

Purely hypothetical. Bit like saying if he had been sacked after 4 dismal seasons where would we have been.

There were no play offs in those days, 2 points for a win and only two up down until mid 70's.

I doubt if 5th place in 72/73 would have got us play off spot. If I remember correctly when play offs were introduced they were contested by the next two teams who did not get promoted and the two teams above the drop line (if this makes sense).

In 72/73 play offs would have involved 3rd and 4th in Div 2 and 19th and 20th in Div 1.

I was tongue in cheek with that comment about the playoffs, but am baffled why 72/73 would have been the first year of the playoffs, is it so it fits in with your argument?

For the sake of argument couldn't 70/71 have been the first year of the playoffs, that way Alan Dicks would have won us a place and my argument would be right? :P

Correct about the first year of the playoffs, we played Sheff Utd (from the division above) over two legs, then lost to Walsall over 2 legs in the final.

Anyone remember Mr Alex Ferguson how long did he take to win something?
4 years!!

and had he not won the cup that year he would have been sacked.......mmmmm..........4 years.........won nothing (of significance before the LDV brigade load their guns).........time for the sack??

Purely hypothetical.  Bit like saying if he had been sacked after 4 dismal seasons where would we have been.

I doubt if 5th place in 72/73 would have got us play off spot.  If I remember correctly when play offs were introduced they were contested by the next two teams who did not get promoted and the two teams above the drop line (if this makes sense).

At first the play-offs were contested by the teams finnishing 3rd, 4th and 5th, with the team that finnished third from bottom ( 4th from bottom in the old div 3) also in them.

Just like in 88 when we had to play Sheffield United in the play-offs. They finnished 3rd from bottom in the old div 2 and we finnished 5th in the old div 3.

Joe Jordan and shaun Taylor as his #2.

Joe Jordan managing and Shaun Taylor as No. 2. I'd be happy with that and I reckon Joe Jordan would attract some decent names back to the Gate. Joe Jordan did well for us but let us down first time around by abandoning us for Hearts :dunno:

Up the City

Joe Jordan and shaun Taylor as his #2.

Joe Jordan managing and Shaun Taylor as No. 2. I'd be happy with that and I reckon Joe Jordan would attract some decent names back to the Gate. Joe Jordan did well for us but let us down first time around by abandoning us for Hearts :dunno:

Up the City

I'm pretty sure that Colin Lee played for us in the mid-1970s. Not sure if he'd make a decent BCFC manager though :dunno:
yeah colin lee was a trial apprentice along with mark magee

but alan dicks did not think the 2 were good enough to make

the grade at ashton gate :rolleyes: funny old world :)

Joe Jordan ? You have got to be having a laugh guys !! The game has moved on from people throwing tea cups and running the club in such a heavy handed manner.

I was on work experiance at City during Joe's second reign and he was hated by pretty much everyone at the club !! Not a nice person and in this day and age he would get nothing from the players.

His second spell was a mistake and as for a third I would say your just as well giving the job to Graydon !

I know Wilson's not a fans favorite but Jordan......geez !!

Well Bemmyred if you feel that strongly why bother turning up for the Blackpool game? I'm sure the club will survive without your "support".

I shall continue to attend, even if Wilson is manager.

I'd still support BCFC if we played in the Downs League, but I'd be moaning 1000 times more about our plight languishing in the depths of the football leagues etc :dunno::):rolleyes:

Up the City

as mentioned in a previous thread, I have a sneaky suspicion that bemmyred is a gashead in disguise, hence him not watching City next season. He'll be at the mem watching the gas struggle to stay in div 3.

bemmyred could be Swinedon, PlyMuff, Brighton, QPR etc - who knows. A bit sad spending so much time on here when he doesn't like our club.

Guest east_dundry_red
as mentioned in a previous thread, I have a sneaky suspicion that bemmyred is a gashead in disguise, hence him not watching City next season. He'll be at the mem watching the gas struggle to stay in div 3.
sorry but i dont think rovers will struggle next year. They will be an average div 3 team though.

Also i think wilson should go if we dont go up.

sorry but i dont think rovers will struggle next year. They will be an average div 3 team though.

Also i think wilson should go if we dont go up.

Despite my feelings about going to Barnsley on Sunday only if QPR lose or draw I'll now go whatever :dunno:

See you all in Barnsley lads :)

Up the City

Dont know, dont care.

Whether they go up or not I wont be wasting any more money on them.

Whats your problem BemmyRed??

WE're all as p**** off as you, with the situation...you supposedly support the club, not Wilsons Blunderland.... you aint the dreaded glory hunter are ya??

WE'LL ALL still be here rain or shine... Cider-Redz for life, not just for Wilsons Blunderland...it hurts, but by God we'll still be here!!

Whats your problem BemmyRed??

WE're all as p**** off as you, with the situation...you supposedly support the club, not Wilsons Blunderland.... you aint the dreaded glory hunter are ya??

WE'LL ALL still be here rain or shine... Cider-Redz for life, not just for Wilsons Blunderland...it hurts, but by God we'll still be here!!

bemmyred is not a dreaded BCFC 'glory hunter' but a dreaded forum imposter :rolleyes: bemmyred is just like the imposters that used to invade our East End in the 1970's and often as not end up hospitalised :dunno::):rolleyes:

Up the City

Guest jazz66

Seems as though' this topic has started some discussion. And quite rightly so. Here's my views (for what they're worth) as I started this one off...

Danny Wilson has done a good job since he's been here. But, as so many have said, how long do you give a manager to come up with the goods before you begin looking elsewhere? That I suppose is what this is really all about.

As for a new manager? Some very interesting names have been put forward...Joe Jordan, Peter Reid, Colin Lee, Steve Cotterill, and even Benny Lennartson got a mention - all be it for the reason that we'd rather not have him back! I am surprised that no one mentioned John Ward. I would certainly have him back.

But I still think that DW is still the right man for the job. And after the games at Barnsely & Blackpool, when we have finally secured that second spot and promotion to Div 1, all of us will look back and say "He's a good manager..."

Joe Jordan ? You have got to be having a laugh guys !! The game has moved on from people throwing tea cups and running the club in such a heavy handed manner.

I was on work experiance at City during Joe's second reign and he was hated by pretty much everyone at the club !! Not a nice person and in this day and age he would get nothing from the players.

His second spell was a mistake and as for a third I would say your just as well giving the job to Graydon !

I know Wilson's not a fans favorite but Jordan......geez !!

Someone will be asking for Lennartson next.

Surely DW can't win now. If he was any good as a manager, we'd have walked this division with the resources he's had.

If we scrape it into div 1, it would have hardly been a fantastic success. Would it?

Really don't mean to be a misery, but if we're going to survive in Div 1, I think we need someone else.

No point scraping it, committing loads of cash to Div1 and then watch as overly expensive signees sit on the bench.....

Archived