IGNORED

We're Watching Hibernian's Dean Shiels Allegedly

cheshire_red

That's the trouble if you sign players from another country you do not know how they will adapted to our football which is unlike other leagues with its pace and tackling.

We cannot afford another slip up the players we sign this window must be proven in our league we have bought players from lower leagues who have not worked out.

Well Ross Mccormacks has been an instant success from the same league as Shiels.

Its going to cost a lot of money to get championship proven players even more so in January is likely to be a lot cheaper to get players from abroad.

I'd agree that it is a very grey area, ones persons joke is indeed another persons offensive remark. I wasn't involved with removing the posts but stand by the decision that it was done for the right reasons, making fun of someones else's disability isn't funny and like racism etc shouldn't be encouraged or tolerated. Like i said in my previous reply there are alternative forums where the 'humour' can be appreciated by like-minded people.

Anyway back on topic, I didn't want to highjack this thread just wanted to nip something in the bud. Anyway, is this player the player for us?

Just to add to that - Nobody was warned, as the posts weren't of a vicious nature. The posts were just removed.

Yes, but what constitutes 'bad taste'?

If 4 or 5 people contribute 'humourous' posts to a topic, 100 others read it with no problem, but then one person reads it and finds it 'offensive' and reports it, should that one person's sensitivities outweigh all the others?

I'm all for not attacking the poster and keeping within the Law etc., but bad taste is a very grey area and you'd have thought on a forum like this only in very extreme cases would 'bad taste' be a reason for removing posts.

I only saw a few replies to the topic and didn't add to it, but on another occasion might well have done, and despite posting without problem for many years I fear I'll soon be racking up the warnings when my sense of humour could so easily be judged as being 'in bad taste' by others in this new era on the forum.

We have the official answer Noggers, we toe the line or use another forum . Sounds like GJ, my way or the highway ?

Well we wasnt talking about LJ then!

He also said:

"I think there's certainly a section that don't see his game and don't appreciate what he's done for us over the last couple of seasons, which is sad."

"Other players have ineffective games, but unfortunately because of the publicity and because a few people decide that's what they want to moan about, unfortunately it becomes difficult for that player and, as I say, they're the ones that have forgotten what people have done for us over the last couple of years."

I've just had a listen.

Gary said, "I think it's difficult because we could lose a very good player over it."

That's a bit different from, "LJ has been driven away by the fans" - Gary Johnson said so.

I've no doubt LJ was upset after the Reading game, but nothing I have heard makes me feel it has been instumental in him making a firm decision to leave the club, neither has GJ stated as such.

That's a bit different from, "LJ has been driven away by the fans" - Gary Johnson said so.

I've no doubt LJ was upset after the Reading game, but nothing I have heard makes me feel it has been instumental in him making a firm decision to leave the club, neither has GJ stated as such.

Nogbad, rather than trawl through the interview for verbatim quotes, I was remarking about the gist of what Johnson said along the lines of insinuation that the banter will cause him to leave.

I feel that GJs guard slipped a bit that night to indicate that Lee is off.

We shall see

He also said:

"I think there's certainly a section that don't see his game and don't appreciate what he's done for us over the last couple of seasons, which is sad."

"Other players have ineffective games, but unfortunately because of the publicity and because a few people decide that's what they want to moan about, unfortunately it becomes difficult for that player and, as I say, they're the ones that have forgotten what people have done for us over the last couple of years."

I don't particularly want to see LJ leave the club - he seems like a very pleasant lad who has served City very well and always who gives his all for the club.

However, his position at the club will always be different from everybody else's and this creates constant added pressure for him.

I can't help but think that If he does decide he's had enough it will be very interesting to see how the team reshapes without him after January.

I don't particularly want to see LJ leave the club - he seems like a very pleasant lad who has served City very well and always who gives his all for the club.

However, his position at the club will always be different from everybody else's and this creates constant added pressure for him.

I can't help but think that If he does decide he's had enough it will be very interesting to see how the team reshapes without him after January.

What I don't want to see is the manager feeling he can't pick a player because of the potential crowd reaction.

Gary doesn't strike me as the sort who'd take kindly to having his team selection influenced by outside pressure, and the repercussions of that could be far more damaging than whether Lee stays or not.

If Lee leaves the club, then that's ok by me, so long as it's under the right circumstances and for the right reasons.

Nogbad, rather than trawl through the interview for verbatim quotes, I was remarking about the gist of what Johnson said along the lines of insinuation that the banter will cause him to leave.

I feel that GJs guard slipped a bit that night to indicate that Lee is off.

We shall see

I think you may have exaggerated the gist garlic but I take your point.

It could well be the ironic cheering has made Lee think carefully about whether staying at AG is the best thing to do, but whether it will prove decisive I've no idea.

As you say, time will tell, and it won't be long now.

What I don't want to see is the manager feeling he can't pick a player because of the potential crowd reaction.

Gary doesn't strike me as the sort who'd take kindly to having his team selection influenced by outside pressure, and the repercussions of that could be far more damaging than whether Lee stays or not.

If Lee leaves the club, then that's ok by me, so long as it's under the right circumstances and for the right reasons.

Agree on all points.

Maybe it would be the best thing all round now for Lee to seek pastures new and pop the pressure on the whole GJ/LJ/crowd dynamics and let Lee and Gary get on with their careers without the unique added complication of the father/son relationship.

No one would have failed, no one forced out, no one would lose face - just the right thing to do at the right time, in the best interests of all concerned.

Agree on all points.

Maybe it would be the best thing all round now for Lee to seek pastures new and pop the pressure on the whole GJ/LJ/crowd dynamics and let Lee and Gary get on with their careers without the unique added complication of the father/son relationship.

No one would have failed, no one forced out, no one would lose face - just the right thing to do at the right time, in the best interests of all concerned.

Think you are right.

Just an added thought, could there be an exchange deal involving Lee and Shiels? Well we have done business with Hibs before and were Shiels and Sproule teamates, maybe Sproule needs him? Also Lee was in Scotland before, at rival Hearts. I don't think he featured much, but Hearts were in turmoil at the time, but maybe he enjoyed life up there?

All guesswork and fantasy/speculation from me by the way. Just keeping up with forum tradition!

Think you are right.

Just an added thought, could there be an exchange deal involving Lee and Shiels? Well we have done business with Hibs before and were Shiels and Sproule teamates, maybe Sproule needs him? Also Lee was in Scotland before, at rival Hearts. I don't think he featured much, but Hearts were in turmoil at the time, but maybe he enjoyed life up there?

All guesswork and fantasy/speculation from me by the way. Just keeping up with forum tradition!

Could be right, although I'd imagine Ivan would be the obvious make weight in this one...esp if he's unhappy as rumoured.

I'd expect LJ to be used as leverage elsewhere...Ben Watson perhaps??

Could be right, although I'd imagine Ivan would be the obvious make weight in this one...esp if he's unhappy as rumoured.

I can't see Watson coming here. He was hell bent on going to QPR till Dowie got the boot. Its an odd one, pre season Warnock said he would be flogging Watson to prevent him going on a free this summer. The move didn't happen & Watson was dropped, but then due to poor results he get's back into the team - but still has no inclination to sign the contract.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he now goes on a free next summer (the 1 thing that initially Warnock & Jordan were trying to avoid!).

:chant6ez: can you honestly see LJ as a colin type player!!!!!!!! i trust you are on a wind up. he is the exact opposite of a colin player. can you ever see colin signing a player who cannot run, tackle or head a ball!!!!!

Not sure if I want another Scottish player. Without being racist there all poor due to the standard of the SPL. I like McAlister but the rest have all been pretty crap.

There are some Scottish gems out there, look at Mcormack for Bardiff he is a quality player and i believe he only cost 300 k.

Many people are talking about LJ leaving, can any one honestly see that happening, GJ obviously rates him (not beacuse he is his son but he quite clearly believes he is a good player) IMO i think the time is right for LJ to move on but i just cant see GJ selling him myself...

Archived