IGNORED

Gj Criticism Of Maynard

iWurzel

Seems very strange of Gary to openly criticise a single player after what sounded like a pretty good team performance today.

Gary added: "I'm also disappointed because another man has cost us a bit as well. I've also asked him to look at the video because he's gone through on goal and everyone expected him to score.

Of course Gary is disappointed that Maynard didn't tuck one or more away today, but seems not his style to openly criticise a player in an interview.

It's not usually his style to criticise refs but he seems to be doing so regularly lately. How about instead of blaming one man for not winning how about he blames all of the players for not creating more chances to score?

I can understand his position on the refs given that we've been disallowed two match winning goals in two consecutive games and could/should be four points better off. But it seems very strange to single out Maynard's missed chance given the number of opportunities we squander over the course of a season!

Maynard to be dropped next week perhaps?

Perhaps I'm reading too much into it by I wouldn't be feeling confident if I were Maynard in the wake of Gary's comments.

I hope he is not dropped because i feel he has been one of our better players lately! also since he has started playing

we have started getting the ball on the deck and played some nice football and when we do hit it long it isnt hopeful it

is angled do there is a chance he might get on the end of it!!

Lets be honest if adebola comes back in we are going to have to watch longball which quite frankly i have had enough

of! don't get me wrong Adebola makes contributions but because of his size we hit it long instead of passing it through

the pitch. Personally i believe Adebolas better performances have been when we have got the ball passed it around and

used it at his feet!!

I also feel it is wrong to criticise one player for missing a chance when he puts effort in, because if i remember against

swansea Stern John was lazy didnt do much and missed some vital chances!!

Lukebcfc :englandsmile4wf:

Seems very strange of Gary to openly criticise a single player after what sounded like a pretty good team performance today.

Gary added: "I'm also disappointed because another man has cost us a bit as well. I've also asked him to look at the video because he's gone through on goal and everyone expected him to score.

Of course Gary is disappointed that Maynard didn't tuck one or more away today, but seems not his style to openly criticise a player in an interview.

Awful way to manage a player in my view - if GJ wants the dressing room behind him this isn't the way to do it.

Should be behind closed doors - otherwise we might get players commenting on the managers performance and then we are really in the s**t

He also said "I don't want to pick out one player because we missed a few other chances". Maybe he will sit down with just Maynard and state "hit the bloody target".

Awful way to manage a player in my view - if GJ wants the dressing room behind him this isn't the way to do it.

Should be behind closed doors - otherwise we might get players commenting on the managers performance and then we are really in the s**t

Agreed. Maybe Johnson let his frustration get the better of him and he pointed the finger in a way that he usually wouldn't do. Thats an indication that he feels the pain just as much as we fans do.

Johnson knows that strikers doesn't chances miss of purpose and that Maynard's lack of goals has left him short on confidence. Maybe he'll put his arm around Maynard this week to help repair the damage.

Agreed. Maybe Johnson let his frustration get the better of him and he pointed the finger in a way that he usually wouldn't do. Thats an indication that he feels the pain just as much as we fans do.

Johnson knows that strikers doesn't chances miss of purpose and that Maynard's lack of goals has left him short on confidence. Maybe he'll put his arm around Maynard this week to help repair the damage.

I wonder if GJ will drop himself for the next game in the same way he's dropped others in the past for doing exactly the same thing?

Of course, it could also be Gary's way of geeing him up....he's got to know his player's personality and maybe he's now come to the conclusion that Maynard is the sort of lad who will be determined to prove wrong any criticism levelled his way. GJ's outburst may be exactly the way to manage NM... We'll soon see when the teamsheet is announced for Burnley - if he's in it, then the criticism was likely used as motivation. If he's not, then GJ has worked wonders in destroying the confidence of our record signing!

I hope it doesn't dent NM too bad as he has been much improved since he has been back in the team. Sure he missed an easy chance but he was a threat all games yesterday and was unlucky not to score in the end. That is what we need him to be like every game and the goals will come again like they did at Crewe.

I have a lot of faith in the guy myself. Just like I do in GJ as well.

Just seen the goal, good chance and yes he missed a sitter, but it's good that he's finally been given the ball in the right positions just a shame it's taken till December time for that to happen.

keep giving him chances like that and he'll score more than he will miss

So another non-story then? 'Bout time everyone calmed down a bit and stopped reading masses into everything - especially misquotes...

But that wouldn't fit the agenda of the people who think that either:

1. GJ has lost the plot, or

2. Maynard is a useless waste of money

The fact that neither of these is the case is purely incidental of course.

Sadly I think you're right, seems some have made their mind-up on both counts and leap on anything that appears to back up the theories

Northern, I wasn't making any of these points with my original post.

If the OS reports a story and quotes Gary Johnson I expect it to be accurate. I pointed out that it was most unlike him and unlikely to do anything for Maynard's confidence.

I've just had another listen, and the comment is entirely aimed at the officials.

At no point does he say that about Maynard and it's obviously a misunderstanding by the official site for them to so completely misquote him.

Thats what I was thinking, have they edited it now?

Just watched GJ on World and there is no way he's having a pop at Maynard it's the ref he's pissed with.

:yes: I watched this on world last night and he was defo having a go at the ref and after watching the goal he disallowed on Championship this morning i can understand why. Shocking decision and an equally shocking miss fron NM

Yes. The interviewer misunderstood who Gary was referring to when he said "I can't name him or give him a title", but has corrected the error now.

Poor Nicky Maynard,thats the 1st decent ball to run onto for weeks only to miss.He has been used to staring at the sky and waiting for the ball to drop.Give him chances and he will score.He did well to recover from that ipswich half wit lunge from weds nite.He could have taken the "still injured" stance but hungry for goals.Fair play to him

Poor Nicky Maynard,thats the 1st decent ball to run onto for weeks only to miss.He has been used to staring at the sky and waiting for the ball to drop.Give him chances and he will score.He did well to recover from that ipswich half wit lunge from weds nite.He could have taken the "still injured" stance but hungry for goals.Fair play to him
He has been waiting for that ball for such a long time that when it did come he was in a state of shock so fluffed it.

Just seen the goal, good chance and yes he missed a sitter, but it's good that he's finally been given the ball in the right positions just a shame it's taken till December time for that to happen.

keep giving him chances like that and he'll score more than he will miss

Agree, that was one of only a handfull of ''clear cut chances'' Maynard has recevied considering he has had maybe 7 clear cut and has scored 4 that isnt such a bad return.

If we keep playing those balls slide behind the back four he will hit double figures no question.

To be fair when he came running through with the goal in front of him, we all just thought It's a goal the angle was all right and we waited for the net to ripple, How he put it wide I will never know. But on the whole played well and made there keeper pull of a few good saves. It was a good open game really thought we deserved to win just, looked alot better in the second half. some would say after LJ came on, though load's wouldn't as we fully know on here hehe. Ohh and should have had a pen in the last few min's

Archived