IGNORED

Evening Post...wtf!

garlicbread

Couldnt believemy eyes....taken from the evening post;....'Some Bristol City fans believe that Gary Johnson should join them on the dole queue...

..Spoiled by almost undiluted success over the past two years, some supporters in the red half of Bristol's supporting divide are choosing to show their true colours now things are not going so well'.

The most spiteful, unbalanced piece of petty jounalism I have ever read....how very unprofessional.

(No wonder this talented individual writes for a provincial paper with a minimal readership).

Couldnt believemy eyes....taken from the evening post;....'Some Bristol City fans believe that Gary Johnson should join them on the dole queue...

..Spoiled by almost undiluted success over the past two years, some supporters in the red half of Bristol's supporting divide are choosing to show their true colours now things are not going so well'.

The most spiteful, unbalanced piece of petty jounalism I have ever read....how very unprofessional.

(No wonder this talented individual writes for a provincial paper with a minimal readership).

I read that as well , makes you believe the journalist must have allegiance to the other half of the City, another piece of rubbish jornalism from the evil post.

Disgraceful.

Jed Pitman said the same this morning on his Radio Show.

Is there a media campaign against the fans.

I know people myself included have critisied Johnson due to poor results and preformances but know one is calling for his head.

So where do these stories come from? And why do they write articles in the paper and presenters feel the need to pass judgement on us?

It's undoubtedly a ridiculous piece of journalism, and lacks the balance and objectivity that any good journalist should strive to maintain. Though that's probably not surprising from our local media.

Nonetheless, I agree with what he says, and those that don't are probably the ones that shout loudest when things aren't going so well.

Of course, that's nothing exclusive to Bristol City fans, it's the mentality of many, many football fans up and down the country.

But that just epitomises the sad (in my opinion) state of our society, right? It's all about immediate and short term gain. Stability, development and gradual progress counts for nothing anymore. People want success and results now, and if it doesn't happen when they want it they call for sweeping changes and for heads to roll.

That's my little rant of the day over and done with.

Why do people still buy it?

Is there anything in there that you cant find on the BBC website, on citys website, on here?

Who was it written by?

Personally i think the club should cut contacts with them, but then they say any publicity is good publicity don't they.

The bloke the supporters trust had at a meeting, how did he think anyone would believe him when they happily go and print stories like that.

But with the editor being gas what can you expect, plus Andy "I'm not gas" Stockhousen

I don't buy it anymore cause i know its Gas BUT if you read this Forum or have been down the gate recently you might be forgiven for thinking that a few "fans" are less than happy about Gj. But as GZ says thats football.

Also i like to think that those few are outweighed by the silent and not so silent majority of fans who are behind the team and GJ and whom, again to paraphrase GZ's post, don't shout so loud......

I never buy the EP, and I don't want GJ to go (so having got that straight!)...BUT....if you look about two dozen threads down from this you'll find one where several posters do indeed suggest that GJ should go. So let's not get too outraged at the EP article. Not helpful, maybe, but they only have to point here for their 'source'.

It's undoubtedly a ridiculous piece of journalism, and lacks the balance and objectivity that any good journalist should strive to maintain. Though that's probably not surprising from our local media.

Nonetheless, I agree with what he says, and those that don't are probably the ones that shout loudest when things aren't going so well.

I agree with what he says about...a few people with short memories have been spouting such rubbish...but to label us as people in dole queues is a step way too far.

Whoever wrote that sould be hauled over the coals.

Outrageous!

Sorry ? what part of this is untrue ?

Are you honestly telling me that you've not heard people start to question GJ recently ?

One of the people sat near me has been saying for weeks that "Gary Johnson has taken us as far as he can". The majority of city fans would probably disagree (including me !). But it IS true that some City fans are starting suggest its time for GJ to go.

From the two paras you've copied out there, it looks like the evening post is just reporting the truth - even if it isnt the truth you want to hear...

(And i suspect the "dole queue" line was a referrence to the fact we're entering a recession at the moment.)

Sorry ? what part of this is untrue ?

Are you honestly telling me that you've not heard people start to question GJ recently ?

One of the people sat near me has been saying for weeks that "Gary Johnson has taken us as far as he can". The majority of city fans would probably disagree (including me !). But it IS true that some City fans are starting suggest its time for GJ to go.

From the two paras you've copied out there, it looks like the evening post is just reporting the truth - even if it isnt the truth you want to hear...

The labelling of us hanging round dole queues

'Some Bristol City fans believe that Gary Johnson should join them on the dole queue

Eh? Dole queue? This clown better be sacked. How the hell can he say that. If the Post don't axe this moron then City should ban them - How dare a local paper say that City fans are all unemployed.

Supporters Trust please get on the case.

Some want him to go (for what its worth, I aint one) and some City fans no doubt are on the dole, in this climate,I count myself very lucky not to be one of those either. Just an aside, I wonder when football will feel the credit crunch? We will know when over paid and achieved nothing, players like McIndoe, have to sell there £137,000 Bentleys.

I agree with what he says about...a few people with short memories have been spouting such rubbish...but to label us as people in dole queues is a step way too far.

Whoever wrote that sould be hauled over the coals.

Outrageous!

I agree. As I said in my original reply, it's a ridiculous and insensative piece of journalism and it's clearly designed to get a reaction.

It's stupid; the problem is it's not an unlawful comment to make.

Still, I would encourage people to write to the editor to complain. Or to just stop buying the paper.

I think youre being over-sensitive there. Its not saying City fans are all unemployed - its a referrence to the fact the country is going into a recession

I cannont believe you are making excuses for this outragous piece of journalism.

The club should make a formal complaint!

• SC&T Board Members

Actually, I think the article is quite balanced.

If you read it in full, you'll see he says that the calls for Johnson to go come from a small minority of fans (and we can't deny that there have been one or two on here saying such things, e.g. in this thread Gary Johnson Must Go Now).

Having said this he goes on to say of such negative views:

"But these do not reflect a majority view and, for every fan wanting rid of Johnson, there are others who continue to stand by the man who has delivered one promotion and come within a whisker of achieving a second since arriving at Ashton Gate in September 2005.

To sack the manager now would be utter folly and City fans advocating such a drastic course of action are advised to recall the pillars upon which the club's recent success has been constructed."

Not normally one to defend the EP, but the whole tone of this article is saying that those few fans who are saying such things are wrong and that people should show greater faith in GJ. Don't see anything wrong with that myself.

The article also ends on a positive, rallying note:

"And there is reason to believe results and performances will improve as the season progresses. Although Johnson would never use such factors to make excuses, his hand has been stayed by a litany of injuries and suspensions which have rendered it impossible for him to field a settled side.

With the exception of games against Reading, Sheffield United and Crystal Palace, City have remained competitive despite their manpower difficulties, a fact which reflects a stronger squad.

True, a record of one win in 11 games is cause for concern, but it scarcely amounts to a crisis. Now is the time for players, staff and supporters to rally behind Lansdown and Johnson and demonstrate the resolve and unity which will be required in the future if the club is to continue its upward trajectory."

Wake up Andrew

Stop looking for insults when there aren't any Garlicbread.

To be honest I think football fans in general are far too over-sensitive about what they see printed in their local papers (its exactly the same where i live in Shrewsbury) The papers only have to write something that could be taken the wrong way and the fans are howling about the media being biased against them. I think if you took a step back you'd realise that. But, I know it's far easier to throw names about and blame the evening post for being a "rovers paper"...

Does anyone really give a s**t about this? - we know all about the quality of BEP journalism so don't give the #######s the time of day.

Fact is, some people have questioned GJ's continued success but how is that different to any other manager?

I bet some people were slagging off Martin O'Neill last night - its just b***ocks..

If you read it in full, you'll see he says that the calls for Johnson to go come from a small minority of fans (and we can't deny that there have been one or two on here saying such things, e.g. in this thread Gary Johnson Must Go Now).

"But these do not reflect a majority view and, for every fan wanting rid of Johnson, there are others who continue to stand by the man who has delivered one promotion and come within a whisker of achieving a second since arriving at Ashton Gate in September 2005.

To sack the manager now would be utter folly and City fans advocating such a drastic course of action are advised to recall the pillars upon which the club's recent success has been constructed."

Not normally one to defend the EP, but the whole tone of this article is saying that those few fans who are saying such things are wrong and that people should show greater faith in GJ. Don't see anything wrong with that myself.

"And there is reason to believe results and performances will improve as the season progresses. Although Johnson would never use such factors to make excuses, his hand has been stayed by a litany of injuries and suspensions which have rendered it impossible for him to field a settled side.

With the exception of games against Reading, Sheffield United and Crystal Palace, City have remained competitive despite their manpower difficulties, a fact which reflects a stronger squad.

True, a record of one win in 11 games is cause for concern, but it scarcely amounts to a crisis. Now is the time for players, staff and supporters to rally behind Lansdown and Johnson and demonstrate the resolve and unity which will be required in the future if the club is to continue its upward trajectory."

Thankyou - some sanity at last.

(btw - that doesnt mean i'm calling anyone insane, just in case you're feeling offended)

And thats the last I'm going to write about this debate - i think there are far more important things to get worried about than articles in local newspapers.

Link to story.

If you read that dole que comment in the article then it seems even worse, with no context given about any recession or the state of the economy.

P1ss poor, the Supporters Trust and the club should have a word about this.

Love the way he writes as if we all want Johnson out and that its is job to patronising to us that it would be folly to sack him. What does this prize wallybrain even know about football anyway?

Its clear that all he's done is read a couple of threads on here where a tiny minority suggested that GJ should get released.

Id be amazed if there were 10% of all city fans (not just forumers) shared that view.

That's how I read it and if he wanted to distort his piece all he would have to do was have a cursory browse of the minority views on here and paraphrase them.

I couldnt care less about the article, it's the dole queue comment. I'm an ST member and this has pissed me off.

Does anyone really give a s**t about this? - we know all about the quality of BEP journalism so don't give the #######s the time of day.

Fact is, some people have questioned GJ's continued success but how is that different to any other manager?

I bet some people were slagging off Martin O'Neill last night - its just b***ocks..

If some mug wants to use a newspaper to make digs at City fans we should just let it blow over? Forget the stuff about Johnson, it's the insinuation we're on the dole that's the problem.

Archived