IGNORED

What Does Stern John Offer?

Maesknoll Red

I thought John was awful yesterday. He even made Adebola look better than he was because he didn't play well either. I can only assume the ovation he got when he went off was because we'd just gone 2-0 up! Yes they rarely get the service from midfield but who was on the end of that fantastic pass from Cole Skuse? Gavin Williams, who'd made a great run that those two forwards haven't been able to muster all season. Big Dele proved he's a handful off the bench and I understand why he played yesterday but with Nicky M out and Styvar yet to find his feet,we're still sadly lacking up front. I'll be very disappointed if John gets another start this season.

He didn't get an ovation, he got sarcastically jeered.

He should have scored yesterday, but I would venture to say that nobody at the club would have taken the ball down with the skill he did. Anyone not convinced, watch again on world. Still should have scored, mind, but the keeper did well/

He should have scored yesterday, but I would venture to say that nobody at the club would have taken the ball down with the skill he did. Anyone not convinced, watch again on world. Still should have scored, mind, but the keeper did well/

I was actually referring to the ovation Adebloa got as John had already been replaced by that point. You're right though,plenty of happy people when John left the pitch. It was a nice piece of skill to create that chance for himself but it hardly makes up for his overall performance.

it's amazing how he got jeered from the pitch and no one gets said, though if it happens to a certain other player there is outrage.

it's amazing how he got jeered from the pitch and no one gets said, though if it happens to a certain other player there is outrage.

If you look at the post titled "Fans again" posted today by Bairds middle finger you will see that the reaction of the fans has been commented on.........just nobody else seems to want to comment on it!!!

Ashtonmate, reference your remarks trying to justify the difference between the reception John recieved when he was subbed yesterday, and as you put it the outrage voiced when a certain other player recieved the same treatment when he was subbed. The difference being, the certain other person had at least given 100% on that occasion the same as he always does. I have never known the Ateyo react to any of our players as they did to John yestreday just before he went off. On numerous occasion he made no effort or attempt to play the ball in the second half. He stood and watched as balls were played in and around him, leaving the supporters some what frustrated. The response he recieved was only to be expected following his second half performance. As a City fan I expect players to give there all for the Club, just as the Club want supporters to give there all for the players. City fans in general are a patient lot so when they react in that way they generally have a good reason for reacting that way.

What does he offer? Well simply, that bit of extra class that he has that bought down ivan sproule's pass on an other day would have changed the game in the way it needed to be, ie putting us infront against a team who had come for a point. Yes, he should have scored, but based on his scoring record you could well assume that on most occasions he would, plus it was a good save.

He does a hell of alot off the ball, which changes the dynamics of our game when going forward and yes, yes he does bring other players into the game.I didnt go yesterday so wont comment on his overall performance, but his touch and control is imo opinion greater than anyone else at the club and the chance he created himself yesterday is an example of this. I'm happy to have him in the squad.

I didnt go yesterday

So you wouldn't know just how bad he was yesterday then?

I'm not one to lay into players, certainly not on here anyway but SJ just baffles me - he doesn't add anything to our game and if anything he hinders it as we tend to try and lump it up to him. He doesn't seem like a GJ player to me - especially when the likes of Trundle get questioned for there work ethics...

Cleary in the minority here but I'm a fan of John and think he adds much to the team.

Whilst he didnt have an especially great game he was certainly far from awful yesterday. From memory he provided a fair amount of neat touches and decent hold up play, however clearly the only two things that stick in many peoples mind is when he failed to reach an inaccurate Skuse pass and when he, poorly, was tackled on the left touchline to put us under threat.

As has been mentioned above he should have scored in the first half but did incredibly well to manufacture the chance for himself. There are very few (if any) players at the club who could have got themselves into that goal scoring situation through the outstanding piece of control, so while I certainly agree he should have scored, he did incredibly well to get himself into that position in the first place.

It is also unfair to label him lazy. Whilst he is certainly far from all action, it was very noticable (or perhaps not as the case maybe) that when he came on during the Portsmouth replay (I think it was) he received the ball to feet on a number of occasions. A lazy player would struggle to do this, do not interpret him as lazy because he doesnt spend all game sprinting around the pitch.

To me his touch and control is far superior to any other at the club. His link up play, again, is head and shoulders above anything else. And although he has failed to consistently find the net he set up Maynard vs Palace, has won us a couple of penalty's and, rather co-incedentally, is perhaps similar to the other fan target Lee Johnson, in that whilst he may not always make the killer final ball, he can often be found at the beginning of a 'highlight worthy' move.

I personally felt Adebola did little yesterday and would like to see John starting ahead of Dele. This is based on the fact that Adebola is a powerful runner who can cause all manner of problems for a tiring defence whereas John rerally has relatively little use as an 'impact' sub.

Cleary in the minority here but I'm a fan of John and think he adds much to the team.

Whilst he didnt have an especially great game he was certainly far from awful yesterday. From memory he provided a fair amount of neat touches and decent hold up play, however clearly the only two things that stick in many peoples mind is when he failed to reach an inaccurate Skuse pass and when he, poorly, was tackled on the left touchline to put us under threat.

As has been mentioned above he should have scored in the first half but did incredibly well to manufacture the chance for himself. There are very few (if any) players at the club who could have got themselves into that goal scoring situation through the outstanding piece of control, so while I certainly agree he should have scored, he did incredibly well to get himself into that position in the first place.

It is also unfair to label him lazy. Whilst he is certainly far from all action, it was very noticable (or perhaps not as the case maybe) that when he came on during the Portsmouth replay (I think it was) he received the ball to feet on a number of occasions. A lazy player would struggle to do this, do not interpret him as lazy because he doesnt spend all game sprinting around the pitch.

To me his touch and control is far superior to any other at the club. His link up play, again, is head and shoulders above anything else. And although he has failed to consistently find the net he set up Maynard vs Palace, has won us a couple of penalty's and, rather co-incedentally, is perhaps similar to the other fan target Lee Johnson, in that whilst he may not always make the killer final ball, he can often be found at the beginning of a 'highlight worthy' move.

I personally felt Adebola did little yesterday and would like to see John starting ahead of Dele. This is based on the fact that Adebola is a powerful runner who can cause all manner of problems for a tiring defence whereas John rerally has relatively little use as an 'impact' sub.

I totally agree, I like him.

I'm not one to lay into players, certainly not on here anyway but SJ just baffles me - he doesn't add anything to our game and if anything he hinders it as we tend to try and lump it up to him. He doesn't seem like a GJ player to me - especially when the likes of Trundle get questioned for there work ethics...

It's amazing how people see things differently.

Personally I think he adds a great deal to our side. I think we play better football with him in the eleven as yes, we do look to 'lump it up to him', but more often than not, and this is very much testament to his touch, control and link up play, he is able to control the ball, hold off the defender and bring others into the game.

I think if people could see past the perceived notion of laziness they would see he is infact an incredibly gifted player who contributes a great deal in small amounts.

It's amazing how people see things differently.

Personally I think he adds a great deal to our side. I think we play better football with him in the eleven as yes, we do look to 'lump it up to him', but more often than not, and this is very much testament to his touch, control and link up play, he is able to control the ball, hold off the defender and bring others into the game.

I think if people could see past the perceived notion of laziness they would see he is infact an incredibly gifted player who contributes a great deal in small amounts.

But yesterday i can only think of maybe 1 occasion when he linked up play/brought somebody else into the game. I thought his touch was terrible.....His control was awful, he hardly ever managed to hold the defender off and the only reason i see this "preceived notion of laziness" is because he does very little work off the ball trying to create space for himself......that to me isnt a perceived notion (you are more than welcome to view it as that if you wish)

Answer me this though.....how often did you see John move away from the central area of the pitch?????? How often did you see him make a run across the back 4, try to create some space???? Did you once see him collect the ball anywhere other than 35 yards out with his back to goal???? Do you ever see Maynard making diagonal runs trying to create space???? Did you see Styvar/ adebola pick the ball up wide creating space for a runner from midfield ala williams? Is movement not an important part of a forward players play????

Unless you are exceptional at bringing other players into the game/ linking up play etc i.e. maybe a Berbatov or Viduka at his best, then you have to work hard as a forward to be successful.

If John gives people the "perceived notion" that he is lazy the chances are it because he ###### well is

SJ is never going to get the crowd exited but i do think he has in some way improved the overall side,

Maynard for example has benefited from SJ in the team.

SJ can control & hold the ball up the best of any in our squad, This always goes unnoticed by many!

*Can i add that some quote Trundle always giving 100% when he comes on, Sorry I don't see that.

Trundle may be a great bloke but how many times must we give him chances -He's only L1 standard!

The comparison of LT & SJ is totally stupid anyway, Two opposite types of player.

SJ is never going to get the crowd exited but i do think he has in some way improved the overall side,

Maynard for example has benefited from SJ in the team. Nicky Maynard has come good because of 1 person....Nicky Maynard IMO

SJ can control & hold the ball up the best of any in our squad, This always goes unnoticed by many! IMO it only goes unoticed because it very rarely happens

*Can i add that some quote Trundle always giving 100% when he comes on, Sorry I don't see that.

Trundle may be a great bloke but how many times must we give him chances -He's only L1 standard!

The comparison of LT & SJ is totally stupid anyway, Two opposite types of player.

But yesterday i can only think of maybe 1 occasion when he linked up play/brought somebody else into the game. I thought his touch was terrible.....His control was awful, he hardly ever managed to hold the defender off and the only reason i see this "preceived notion of laziness" is because he does very little work off the ball trying to create space for himself......that to me isnt a perceived notion (you are more than welcome to view it as that if you wish)

Answer me this though.....how often did you see John move away from the central area of the pitch?????? How often did you see him make a run across the back 4, try to create some space???? Did you once see him collect the ball anywhere other than 35 yards out with his back to goal???? Do you ever see Maynard making diagonal runs trying to create space???? Did you see Styvar/ adebola pick the ball up wide creating space for a runner from midfield ala williams? Is movement not an important part of a forward players play????

Unless you are exceptional at bringing other players into the game/ linking up play etc i.e. maybe a Berbatov or Viduka at his best, then you have to work hard as a forward to be successful.

If John gives people the "perceived notion" that he is lazy the chances are it because he ###### well is

I think if you had a 'player cam' on Stern John and merely viewed what he did when he received the ball you would find that for the majority of the time his contributions help the team a great deal and are ultimately very positive.

Having just watched the highlights of yesterdays game it was interesting to note two occasions which go against the lazy theory, one near the end of the first half where he chased a defender down who put it out for a City throw under pressure and another occasion, again first half, where he pursued a high, hopeful ball, challenged the keeper who fumbled which almost created a chance.

No he doesnt make many runs across the back 4 but thats not his job is it. How many times do you see Maynard calling for the ball with his back to goal and then linking up play, not many. Should we criticse him for that?

Adebola and Styvar are totally different players to John. Both do a great deal more work in the channels which, especially in Adebola's case, goes relatively unheralded.

Yes of course movement is important for any forward player, its pretty darn essential for any professional footballer. However clearly different players have different roles and as such different requirements. John doesnt need to be running around infront of the back four, if he did that we would have no-one to receive the ball and be much less effective as a side. It would also of course turn us into one dimensional long ball merchants, which is something that is often lamented on this forum.

Clearly he is no Berbatov or Viduka but that doesnt change the fact that he is head and shoulders above anyone else at the club in fulfilliing that role and, in my opinion, does it to a very good affect.

As said I didnt think he had a super game yesterday but I can recall on more than one occasion him controlling the ball and aiding our forward progress. I also remember his audcious airbourne backheeled flick through for McIndoe which only narrowly failed to come off.

I think you're wrong personally regarding him creating space for himself. His main role in the side is to receive the ball and link the play, if he didnt create space for himself he wouldnt be able to do this job and as such the manager wouldnt pick him. As said, against Portsmouth I think it was he came on as a late sub and received the ball to feet on numerous occasions, which totally contradicts your opinion that he is lazy and doesnt make space for himself.

He's a good player who makes us a better team - as long as that is true I couldnt give a monkeys if he sat on his ass in the centre circle for the duration.

I think if you had a 'player cam' on Stern John and merely viewed what he did when he received the ball you would find that for the majority of the time his contributions help the team a great deal and are ultimately very positive. don't agree

Having just watched the highlights of yesterdays game it was interesting to note two occasions which go against the lazy theory, one near the end of the first half where he chased a defender down who put it out for a City throw under pressure and another occasion, again first half, where he pursued a high, hopeful ball, challenged the keeper who fumbled which almost created a chance.Fair enough......i am betting that was probably the only 2 occasions though

No he doesnt make many runs across the back 4 but thats not his job is it. How many times do you see Maynard calling for the ball with his back to goal and then linking up play, not many. Should we criticse him for that? Actually you do see maynard with his back to goal receiving the ball......thats how he scored the goal against palace

Adebola and Styvar are totally different players to John. Both do a great deal more work in the channels which, especially in Adebola's case, goes relatively unheralded.Agree

Yes of course movement is important for any forward player, its pretty darn essential for any professional footballer. However clearly different players have different roles and as such different requirements. John doesnt need to be running around infront of the back four, if he did that we would have no-one to receive the ball and be much less effective as a side. It would also of course turn us into one dimensional long ball merchants, which is something that is often lamented on this forum.Ummmmm....not sure how a player moving the 2 center halfs around trying to create some space is going to make us a long ball team

Clearly he is no Berbatov or Viduka but that doesnt change the fact that he is head and shoulders above anyone else at the club in fulfilliing that role and, in my opinion, does it to a very good affect. I disagree

As said I didnt think he had a super game yesterday but I can recall on more than one occasion him controlling the ball and aiding our forward progress. I also remember his audcious airbourne backheeled flick through for McIndoe which only narrowly failed to come off.That was the 1 occasion he almost linked up play that i was talking about and to be fair it was a good piece of skill

I think you're wrong personally regarding him creating space for himself. His main role in the side is to receive the ball and link the play, if he didnt create space for himself he wouldnt be able to do this job and as such the manager wouldnt pick him. As said, against Portsmouth I think it was he came on as a late sub and received the ball to feet on numerous occasions, which totally contradicts your opinion that he is lazy and doesnt make space for himself. no it doesnt....he doesnt create space for himself because if he did he wouldnt have the center half up is Ass everytime he tries to recieve the ball.....but i suppose i could only be perceiving that the center half is always there when in actual fact he is 10 yards away

He's a good player who makes us a better team (In your opinion)- as long as that is true I couldnt give a monkeys if he sat on his ass in the centre circle for the duration. I wouldnt put it past him

What does Stern john offer? well I've read the thread looking for answers and am still non the wiser.

He may have been great once, maybe he still is, but not in our set up and won't be either. His future lies at another club. I was shocked and amazed when I knew his loan would be extended. Not a player for me, as others have said I'd rather have persevered with what we had (Trundle) or played Styver/Akinde, players for the future, than dwell on past glorys. Expensive and unnecessary.

Southampton must be laughing their heads off, I don't see them begging for his return.

No i wouldnt..

Hence why i didnt give an opinion on yesterday, however games i HAVE seen him play in, have still bought about critisim and different opinions to mine on how he has played. So clearly regardless of yesterday i see things differently regarding SJ to other fans.

Going back to the original question of "What does Stern John offer?", well it's simple.

He offers the chance for the "BOO" brigade another target for matchdays.

It wouldn't be Bristol City if we didn't have one or two hate figures.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't boo him. I'm just a bit indifferent towards him, don't care if he's here or not. Guess I must get those feelings from how he seems to be with us!

What does Stern john offer? well I've read the thread looking for answers and am still non the wiser.

He may have been great once, maybe he still is, but not in our set up and won't be either. His future lies at another club. I was shocked and amazed when I knew his loan would be extended. Not a player for me, as others have said I'd rather have persevered with what we had (Trundle) or played Styver/Akinde, players for the future, than dwell on past glorys. Expensive and unnecessary.

Southampton must be laughing their heads off, I don't see them begging for his return.

Same here. Reaing the thread hoping that SOMETHING would come out to save this guy who I would happily see returned to Southampton tomorrow. But all I can gather is that he supposedly acts as some sort of Target Man to link the play? Doesn't Dele do that to much greater effect? Didnt Styvar come on yesterday and take the ball forward from the Midfield on numerous occasions?

To me the parallels between Stern and Phil Jevons are frightening. Both spend 90mins trudging around in a sulk. Both are League One footballers at best... But then at least Jevo could manage a few goals for his money.

Donkeebles;

Yes Maynard did receive the ball with his back to goal against Palace . . . . on the edge of the 'd', not attempting to 'link up' play and he received the ball from a neat flick by none other that Stern John.

If John looked to operate in a more similar way to Maynard, in that he was more energetic and made incisive runs, then our back four and midifield would simply toss the ball either through or, more often, over the opposing back four. When comparing this tactic to getting the ball to John's feet who in turn brings others around him into the game it is surely justifiable to deem it as 'long ball'?

I agree that he usually has a defender close by but for me, given that his role in the side is to hold up the ball and link the play, he makes himself enough room or is intelligent enough to capitalise on the space made by others to fulfuil his role in the side. He clearly doesnt hare around the pitch dragging defenders every which way, however he is intelligent enough to take up positions which enable him to do his job - thus {in my opinion} he does make space for himself.

Same here. Reaing the thread hoping that SOMETHING would come out to save this guy who I would happily see returned to Southampton tomorrow. But all I can gather is that he supposedly acts as some sort of Target Man to link the play? Doesn't Dele do that to much greater effect? Didnt Styvar come on yesterday and take the ball forward from the Midfield on numerous occasions?

To me the parallels between Stern and Phil Jevons are frightening. Both spend 90mins trudging around in a sulk. Both are League One footballers at best... But then at least Jevo could manage a few goals for his money.

hahahahahahaha

i'm sorry, but Phil Jevons... better than Stern John? jesus christ!

there is a reason Jevo won't get above League 1, HE IS GOD AWFUL!

there is a reason Stern has played in the Premier League, and scored over 50 international goals, HE IS QUALITY.

our two standout performers of our recent rejuvination have PUBLICLY declared that a large contributing factor to there recent success has been the knowledge and experience of STERN JOHN being passed to them, Nicky now looks to be a bargain... how many would have said that before Sterns arival?

Gillingham away, promotion season... watched Jevons practice shooting in an empty net... HE SCORED 0

Millwall away, Promotion season. clean through, late in the game... MISSES... had we gone on to lose against Rotherham, we may have stayed down... JEVO'S FAULT?

sorry but to compare two players and come to that judgement to me screams insanity... next you'll be telling me Andy Johnson makes Raul look amatuer

In a word, no.

Adebola is nowhere near the target man that John is, just as John is nowhere near the industrious, hard worker that Adebola is. Adebola tends to flick the ball on via his head which is a useful tactic in certain scenarios but one that has proved pretty ineffective on the whole. John receives the ball to feet and brings others around him into the game.

Styvar, again, is an entirely different player. Yes he looks to run at players, something that John does not, but you cannot use Styvar's style to criticise John or anyone else - theyr're chalk and cheese.

Without researching this I believe I'm right in saying that John has played over 100 games for his country at about a .70 strike rate - I entirely stand to be corrected if that isnt true. I'm not sure that record backs up your assertion that he is a 'league one footballer at best.'

Comparing him to Jevons, who I have nothing what-so-ever against, is sheer madness.

One minute our fans are crying out for passing, more aesthetically pleasing football, and yet when we get a player who encourages this he is ruthlessly cast aside.

:dunno:

hahahahahahaha

i'm sorry, but Phil Jevons... better than Stern John? jesus christ!

there is a reason Jevo won't get above League 1, HE IS GOD AWFUL!

there is a reason Stern has played in the Premier League, and scored over 50 international goals, HE IS QUALITY.

our two standout performers of our recent rejuvination have PUBLICLY declared that a large contributing factor to there recent success has been the knowledge and experience of STERN JOHN being passed to them, Nicky now looks to be a bargain... how many would have said that before Sterns arival?

Gillingham away, promotion season... watched Jevons practice shooting in an empty net... HE SCORED 0

Millwall away, Promotion season. clean through, late in the game... MISSES... had we gone on to lose against Rotherham, we may have stayed down... JEVO'S FAULT?

sorry but to compare two players and come to that judgement to me screams insanity... next you'll be telling me Andy Johnson makes Raul look amatuer

I totally agree Jevo was absolutely awful. And remember some of the practice shooting before games (in the Dolman/Atyeo corner) where Sproule, Jevons, and Enoch all showed themselves to have the accuracy of a 2yr old!!

But, like Stern, Jevons was also living on past glories and that just isn't enough at City. Some clubs will take Marcus Stewart, or Michael Bridges, (or Stern John), and accept that "players with a pedigree must be worth having in the team". But if you don't back it up with performances then the AG faithful will always be happy to see the back of you.

And AJ is quality!!! :tongue:

Had Lee Miller not hit the post with an empty net gaping at the County Ground a few seasons back, Danny Wilson would have seen us promoted to the Championship.

Fine line between success and failure.

Archived