IGNORED

Positives From Today?

cityfan

Why?

Well because even though Scott Murray went to right back he probably played the two best passes of the whole game for us. One inside the back for John and another down the wing to find Trundle.

Trundle because when he was in and around the box he looked like he was going to cause trouble. One bringing a brilliant save from their keeper denying a certain goal, the other narrowly going past the post.

Neither have pace but both have footballing brains and this can gain you yards on the pitch. Sproule on the other hand has pace, but.......

For me, the whole set up has gone wrong. That means players out of position, players selected and style of football. Our bench today looked more exciting and capable than those on the pitch. Bradey still can't pass a ball and all these little soft floating balls that we 'feed' the forwards with have no effect at all. Our forwards have every right to complain and I think Akinde has every right to feel disappointed already when we score no goals and he joins us with a phenomenal record. Throw him in and lets see if he can do it, not save him till he's 'learn't his trade'.

Immediate actions

Pick a balanced team with players in their natural position

Get the right players in the team i.e. Trundle

Play to our forwards strength's and build around this

Get the poor performers out of the team e.g. McIndoe

Decide whether midfield needs wingers and if so have players who know what a winger is supposed to do and do it!

Find a partner for Elliott in Midfield

My only opinion is that I agree.

Every time Trunds is introduced it seems to lift those around him. You can tell for starters that him and Maynard are mates and get on well.

Wouldn't surprise me if Trunds has taken Maynard under his wing as it seems to be his character.

John has not looked interested for a few games now. If that is somebody playing for a contract then gawd knows how bad he will become if he gets one!!

Trundle just behind Maynard, and throw Scotty in to give his some genuine width and ffs, tell McIndoe to do the bl00dy same. He is great when hugging the touchline, but, a liability when he comes inside; not least cos he tries to do too much then bottles the 50/50 when the ball runs loose.

If we went back to football and not hoof-ball, we would be in the top 10 within a few games. Our bad run is due to sunday league tactics that only work with a 6.5 foot bull-head leading your line.

Blackburn last night was the perfect example. Wingers tucking in to defend and then hugging the touchline when attacking. Give room to Elliot and Johnson to find a pass and then get the ball to Trunds feet. He will find Maynard or draw a save if he is not dealing with balls two foot above his head !!

I fear a backlash for GJ soon. He has done great thus far, but to the fan in the stand, the problems seem obvious, yet GJ doesn't appear to agree.

If players deemed by the fans as gifted are allowed to leave in January and we are left with the hoofers and the grafters when the gifted plaers haven't had a proper chance to blend together, I think he will lose the support of the fans who will vocalise it quite strongly.

On another note, he did give McIndoe a rollicking yesterday and I fully expected him to come off and be replaced by Murray. THE FACT THAT HE DIDN'T re-enforces my view that whatever McIndoe does or doesn't do, he's in the team...........sadly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why?

Well because even though Scott Murray went to right back he probably played the two best passes of the whole game for us. One inside the back for John and another down the wing to find Trundle.

He also nearly gave a 3rd goal away :noexpression: . From where i was sitting it actually looked like he could of been sent off when he took the Burnley striker out in the last couple mins.

But i would have him in the side at the mo, we need the experience that he would give, i would love to see him playing in Elliot's attacking midfield role with Elliot playing Johnsons more defensive role.

Its the ideal position for him, he can pick a pass and also take on players in the final third.

Cole Skuse was OK alongside Elliott against Swansea. A positive point from the Burnley game was that Maynard was linking up really well with Trundle. The negatives - ahem - Lee Johnson, Michael McIndoe and Gavin Williams are no better than Div 1 players. :whistle2: We had Elliott of Premier League quality in midfield and 3 ex Yeovile Div 1 midfielders partnering him yesterday - that's why we lost.

He also nearly gave a 3rd goal away :noexpression: . From where i was sitting it actually looked like he could of been sent off when he took the Burnley striker out in the last couple mins.

But i would have him in the side at the mo, we need the experience that he would give, i would love to see him playing in Elliot's attacking midfield role with Elliot playing Johnsons more defensive role.

Its the ideal position for him, he can pick a pass and also take on players in the final third.

I agree lucky the ref suffered from myopia for that one, but he did play two of th emost affective forwards passes all game. I hadn't thought about a central midfield role for Murray, but until a replacement can be brought in, surely worth a try for the next couple of games...good shout.

I though Trundle put in a reasonable perfomance and he ceratinly worried the Burnley defence with his trickery. As for Murray - he played a coouple of decent passes but almost got caught out towards the end with some weak defending. In fact I thought he fouled the bloke to stop him going through on goal but the ref gave the free kick in City's favour.

As usual I was disapointed that Noble got only 8 mins. He may not be the hardest worker but he has that quality that is so sadly lacking but Johnson just seems very one eyed when it comes to Noble.

Immediate actions

Pick a balanced team with players in their natural position

Get the right players in the team i.e. Trundle

Play to our forwards strength's and build around this

Get the poor performers out of the team e.g. McIndoe

Decide whether midfield needs wingers and if so have players who know what a winger is supposed to do and do it!

Have to agree with what has been said Scott nearly gave away a third but anyway based on your description up there here's how we could set up if we didnt have any injury problems

Basso

Orr Carey McCoombe McAllister

Murray Williams Elliot McIndoe

Maynard Trundle

Murray did play a couple of nice passes but should have been sent off shortly after he came on.

Trundle didnt do a great deal. Smart turn and shot which was comfortably wide and a neat effort that produced a regulation rate.

The main positive is that we outplayed a team who started the day 4th, are in the latter stages of the Carling Cup and recently beat Arsenal. Of course its far more fashionable to scapegoat the managers son than deal in reality.

Murray did play a couple of nice passes but should have been sent off shortly after he came on.

Trundle didnt do a great deal. Smart turn and shot which was comfortably wide and a neat effort that produced a regulation rate.

The main positive is that we outplayed a team who started the day 4th, are in the latter stages of the Carling Cup and recently beat Arsenal. Of course its far more fashionable to scapegoat the managers son than deal in reality.

I can't see how you can say we outplayed Burnely...I really can't. City were devoid of ideas going forward and Burnley it has to be said show far more enterprise and movement off the ball.

City have become a spoling team, living off scraps...yes McCoombe should have scored (or at least hit the target) first half and John should have done so as well secound half but other than scoring from a set piece again, was there really anything else of note?

I can't see how you can say we outplayed Burnely...I really can't. City were devoid of ideas going forward and Burnley it has to be said show far more enterprise and movement off the ball.

On one occasion when Marvin Elliott was storming forward in the second half he got an elbow in the face and the Burnley player wasn't even booked for it. Apart from Marvin Elliott, City were totally devoid of a midfield - as per usual - and our forwards had to feed off scraps as a result.

On one occasion when Marvin Elliott was storming forward in the second half he got an elbow in the face and the Burnley player wasn't even booked for it. Apart from Marvin Elliott, City were totally devoid of a midfield - as per usual - and our forwards had to feed off scraps as a result.

Pretty much as I saw it mate....but its a continuing feling of deja vu!

Perhaps the word 'outplayed' gives a false impression. In my opinion we were the better team on the day in a game of few chances. Burnley took theirs, we didnt take ours. Thats why both clubs currently occupy differing league positions.

As for Marvin Elliot 'storming forward', some peoples glasses really couldnt be more rose tinted when viewing certain players. Not attempting to slate Elliot who is clearly a valuable member of the team, but yesterday he did nothing of genuine note and as for his 'storming' run, if i remember correctly he collected the ball about half way inside his own half on the right hand side, knocked it down the line and caught an elbow for his troubles.

Elliot did nothing yesterday yet how many negative Marvin Elliot posts do we see, none. That is why far too many people on this forum and simply searching for a target to scapegoat, and of course the steady and reliable managers son who lacks a physical presence is an all too easy target.

Won't blame Murray for that 'mistake' He isn't a defender and shouldn't have been put in that position in the first place. Elliott worked hard, but was always having to chase everything backwards so make of that what you will.

As for us out playing Burnley, I disagree. They were a nothing side and we applied no pressure. They had 1 up front and we should have changed our formation to be more aggressive and attacking.

Generally speaking, we do hold alot of possession, but midfield doesn't know how to create supply and therefore the forwards are made to look poor, which in my opinion, they are not. Lack of confidence is being used too much as an excuse for ongoing performance. IF senior pro's disagree with our management's tactics or selection, they should voice their reasons accordingly as their voice(s) of experience are heard as they are a valid one. Several disagreements on the pitch yesterday so I think we can take this as a given!

My only opinion is that I agree.

Every time Trunds is introduced it seems to lift those around him. You can tell for starters that him and Maynard are mates and get on well.

Wouldn't surprise me if Trunds has taken Maynard under his wing as it seems to be his character.

John has not looked interested for a few games now. If that is somebody playing for a contract then gawd knows how bad he will become if he gets one!!

Trundle just behind Maynard, and throw Scotty in to give his some genuine width and ffs, tell McIndoe to do the bl00dy same. He is great when hugging the touchline, but, a liability when he comes inside; not least cos he tries to do too much then bottles the 50/50 when the ball runs loose.

If we went back to football and not hoof-ball, we would be in the top 10 within a few games. Our bad run is due to sunday league tactics that only work with a 6.5 foot bull-head leading your line.

Blackburn last night was the perfect example. Wingers tucking in to defend and then hugging the touchline when attacking. Give room to Elliot and Johnson to find a pass and then get the ball to Trunds feet. He will find Maynard or draw a save if he is not dealing with balls two foot above his head !!

YES!

I thought Trundle did well when he came on - full of running, linking play well, keeping himself involved in the game and troubling Burnley's defence and goalkeeper.

It was a beautiful chip that was well saved, and as you say ( although you seem loath to give him credit ) a smart turn and shot. From my angle it was never quite going in, but it was a crisp curler hit with real intent that was close enough for the keeper to be relieved to see it go round the post.

He also entertained, and lifted the crowd.

It's a pity neither of his notable efforts found the back of the net, but apart from that I can't think what more you could have expected from him.

Good half from Trunds - I hope and expect to see him featuring at Watford.

Cole Skuse was OK alongside Elliott against Swansea. A positive point from the Burnley game was that Maynard was linking up really well with Trundle. The negatives - ahem - Lee Johnson, Michael McIndoe and Gavin Williams are no better than Div 1 players. :whistle2: We had Elliott of Premier League quality in midfield and 3 ex Yeovile Div 1 midfielders partnering him yesterday - that's why we lost.

Both McIndoe and williams are good championship players

and have proved this in the past

Problem is

McIndoe needs a kick up the backside

Williams needs a run of games in the CENTRE of the midfield

I was happy with the work rate we showed and keep it going and we will get some results very soon.

I was unhappy however that i paid £1.00 at the food kiosk for a kit kat chunky king size bar, 77g, and was given a kit kat chunky duo 70g bar instead! what a cheek

Perhaps the word 'outplayed' gives a false impression. In my opinion we were the better team on the day in a game of few chances. Burnley took theirs, we didnt take ours. Thats why both clubs currently occupy differing league positions.

As for Marvin Elliot 'storming forward', some peoples glasses really couldnt be more rose tinted when viewing certain players. Not attempting to slate Elliot who is clearly a valuable member of the team, but yesterday he did nothing of genuine note and as for his 'storming' run, if i remember correctly he collected the ball about half way inside his own half on the right hand side, knocked it down the line and caught an elbow for his troubles.Elliot did nothing yesterday yet how many negative Marvin Elliot posts do we see, none. That is why far too many people on this forum and simply searching for a target to scapegoat, and of course the steady and reliable managers son who lacks a physical presence is an all too easy target.

I remember witnessing a storming forward run from Marvin Elliot yesterday. It was in the second half, he collected/won the ball about 15 yards in our half on the left of middle and strode forward at pace with the ball, passing at least two Burnley players before being illegally tackled/felled by a clumsy and awkward challenge. We were awarded a free-kick but again the ref failed to get his book out for what should have been an obvious booking.

Not rose-tinted but what I saw. Hope it helps.

Goblin, leaving aside your obsession with one of the biggest mass murderers of the twentieth century, you don't half talk some rubbish, so you've given up on the idea of finding the next Steve Galliers now, have you?

McIndoe and Johnson were regulars in a side that finished fourth last year and to me McIndoe was our player of the season, what happened then according to you, did we carry them both every single week?

We do need a shake up and certainly 4 in and the same number out in January, but this pointless slagging off and total lack of any perspective is simply ridiculous.

I think McIndoe has been playing well for around a month now however he seems to still be coming in for criticism for some reason, perhaps because he's one of the few that had the bottle to speak his mind earlier in the season (how right he was too). Thought his direct running and crossing was very good against Burnley and gave them trouble particularly in the 1st half.

IMO him and Elliott should both be kept in January with a right winger and a creative midfielder brought in (or give Williams/Noble or shot in the middle).

Guest ashtonyate
I remember witnessing a storming forward run from Marvin Elliot yesterday. It was in the second half, he collected/won the ball about 15 yards in our half on the left of middle and strode forward at pace with the ball, passing at least two Burnley players before being illegally tackled/felled by a clumsy and awkward challenge. We were awarded a free-kick but again the ref failed to get his book out for what should have been an obvious booking.

Not rose-tinted but what I saw. Hope it helps.

Its funny how different people view matches I thought that Elloitt ran his heart out and Williams did not seem to have any energy at all we all seem to see a different game ??.

Goblin, leaving aside your obsession with one of the biggest mass murderers of the twentieth century, you don't half talk some rubbish, so you've given up on the idea of finding the next Steve Galliers now, have you?

McIndoe and Johnson were regulars in a side that finished fourth last year and to me McIndoe was our player of the season, what happened then according to you, did we carry them both every single week?

We do need a shake up and certainly 4 in and the same number out in January, but this pointless slagging off and total lack of any perspective is simply ridiculous.

Sorry Sir, I took off my rose tinted specs. Don't knock Steve Galliers as he did the business in midfield for us in the late 1980's in an improving City side that seemed top flight bound under Joe Jordan. McIndoe's still not back to his best of last season, Lee Johnson now looks no more than a Div 1 player. I think that because Marvin Elliott's performances were often so good last season that Lee Johnson wasn't noticed. Lee Johnson has been in the spotlight more this season and he's been noticed by a great many more to be lacking at Championship level.

Putting the current situation into perspective I'd agree that it's 4 out and 4 in. I wont name the underachievers that I think should go so as not to be accused of 'slagging off'. :whistle2:

Guest ashtonyate
Sorry Sir, I took off my rose tinted specs. Don't knock Steve Galliers as he did the business in midfield for us in the late 1980's in an improving City side that seemed top flight bound under Joe Jordan. McIndoe's still not back to his best of last season, Lee Johnson now looks no more than a Div 1 player. I think that because Marvin Elliott's performances were often so good last season that Lee Johnson wasn't noticed. Lee Johnson has been in the spotlight more this season and he's been noticed by a great many more to be lacking at Championship level.

Putting the current situation into perspective I'd agree that it's 4 out and 4 in. I wont name the underachievers that I think should go so as not to be accused of 'slagging off'. :whistle2:

Thinking of Steve Galliers My daughter was mascot against Wigan she was about 12 and was taller than he was which we still giggle about now, another funny thing that day was there forward took a corner and kicked the flag out of its hole instead of the ball.

Archived