IGNORED

Conviction Is A Terrible Thing

Port Said Red

Since I came on this forum last year I have been accused of having rose tinted glasses, being part of the happy brigade, etc. It's not that I don't see faults in the team, club or manager, it's something far more damaging.........

I could have left this for ten days and saved myself the embarrassment but it's time to own up.

Since the day we were knocked out of the play offs last season I have had an absolute conviction that we would be promoted this season. :dunno: I don't know why, I think it's because there are certain similarities with the way things have gone over the last two years that remind me of the time's before we got into the old 1st division.

Nothing glaringly obvious, just little thing's, Like

we just missed out on promotion at the end of the previous season.

We had a strong defensive side

We struggled to score goals all through the promotion season

the team was largely made of those that came through the ranks

Perhaps most similar, the manager completely divided the supporters.

This conviction has meant that I never worried when we started poorly, got to excited during the 11 in a row or panicked in the dismal run after. I just know that we will do enough to get up and I think it will be automatically :laugh: but I will be sure of the method after sunday.

The words of the Cat Stevens song "Father and son" spring to mind - namely, "I was once like you are now"

For many seasons I "knew" City would do well and go up,but unfortunately I was nearly always wrong and they always let me down.Eventually I realised thats its better not have any expectations about Bristol City and that way you'll not be devastated when they fail to meet them.

Of course I want City to go up but if they don't, I'll get over it and still be there next season going through it all again.

The words of the Cat Stevens song "Father and son" spring to mind - namely, "I was once like you are now"

For many seasons I "knew" City would do well and go up,but unfortunately I was nearly always wrong and they always let me down.Eventually I realised thats its better not have any expectations about Bristol City and that way you'll not be devastated when they fail to meet them.

Of course I want City to go up but if they don't, I'll get over it and still be there next season going through it all again.

I bet you used to go around popping all the balloons at parties when you were a kid!

Yep, like you it has been difficult to realise the ups & downs with the season.

I have actually believed that we would go up & it could be via the play-offs.

But you can't help feeling the 'ifs & maybes' have out weighed the actuals. :P

But RR, thats the point I almost always feel that way but for some reason this season is different, if you want quote songs, the one that springs to mind is "I can't explain" The Who.

Your suggestion would be valid if I was some green ten year old but at 40 something I should know better but....... We Are Going UP. :laugh:

Perhaps I should know better, but after my first full year of supporting city, I went out and spend another £325 on a season ticket today.

I'd obviously love for city to go up, but I've suprised myself by unquestioningly getting another year regardless of what division we're in. Or if DW is still in charge.

Scary. Illogical. But strangely it feels right.

Perhaps I should know better, but after my first full year of supporting city, I went out and spend another £325 on a season ticket today.

I'd obviously love for city to go up, but I've suprised myself by unquestioningly getting another year regardless of what division we're in. Or if DW is still in charge.

Scary. Illogical. But strangely it feels right.

I thought I had it bad, But this is just plain weird! :Costumed34: :Costumed34: :Costumed34:

After missing out, I thought yeah we can do it this season, and after annihilating County, I thought christ this may just happen...since then reality has kicked in, bar a short period after beating QPR and Plymouth, when I really, really thought we could do it...then the reality-Wilsons subbing of our best player at Lu'on...now it looks like play offs again, and our record!! Will we break the ######, dunno, I hope so, but with this manager, will we survive in 1?

I said before the season started that we would be promoted in the top two. I have stuck to that belief all season. The next few days will tell me whether I was right or not.

Whatever happens, I've already bought next year's Season Ticket, and will be back for more of the same in August!

I have a similar outlook to yourself. For most of the season I was very agitated about the result each Saturday. I would look anxiously at our nearest competitors and scan the table for runes. If we lost I would be downcast until the next match.

But, ever since the home game against Wycombe, I have achieved a Zen like existence with respect to Bristol City. This can only be put down to my Zen lessons, which is strange because I haven't had any.

Now I consider myself a pebble in the BCFC sea. Occasionally I am tumbled around the shore, and occasionally I am dragged further into the sea. But I know there will always be a sea and I am but a small part of it.

I haven't been smoking anything. :laugh:

Archived