IGNORED

Films

fka dagest

I've almost become as disilluisoned with films as I have with modern comedy. I made the appaling mistake of watching The Transporter on Film 4 the other night - abysmal, absurd etc! What with Hollywood recycling the same stories and remaking films over and over again, can anyone convince me that there is any point in taking any notice of what comes out anymore?

Guest MaloneFM

Yes young man but you have to dig about a bit more. 5 Live friday afternoons Dr Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo pick out the wheat from the crap. Have a glance at the Culture Show. If you would have put on here 'I am going to watch Transporter on Film Four tonight' I would have come around your house and driven you around the centre with a bag on your head until it was over.

Slum Dog Millionaire the latest one by Danny Boyle is well worth seeing. Australia is three hours you will never get back again. Rent Man On A Wire or Once We Were Kings the tale of the rumble in the jungle, Blood Simple by the Coen brothers or a classic film from the boy Niven, A Matter Of Life And Death before it gets remade with Nicholas Cage and subsequently ruined. Like he made a balls of the Whicker Man.

Tell you what son as you seem depressed by all this, uncle will let you into a secret about the original Italian Job. There was a sequel planned. And I know how the first film was supposed to end. Really. Not your old unc a joshing you.

If you want to know reply to this and I'll tell you.

I've almost become as disilluisoned with films as I have with modern comedy. I made the appaling mistake of watching The Transporter on Film 4 the other night - abysmal, absurd etc! What with Hollywood recycling the same stories and remaking films over and over again, can anyone convince me that there is any point in taking any notice of what comes out anymore?

That film is truly abysmal but for some reason the yanks love it so much there's two sequels.

I only really watch films when I want some zero effort entertainment handed to me on a plate (usually hangover time) so I'm rarely that disappointed. Aside from the usual big blockbusters which are spectacular if lacking in anything else there hasn't been much to shout about in recent years, in fact I can't think of a recent film with acting or a plot that particularly impressed me or made me think.

The Departed restores some faith in the USA film industry. A great film but i hated the ending.

Most films follow the same predictable line these days, like music, the USA are great at re branding and regurgitating ideas over and over again, they really don't have much that is new, or ground breaking.

leave that kinda s**t to the Brits i think. :)

I sound like a grumpy **** but music/films/comedy these days is generally s**t. Apart from Gavin and Stacey, BBC seemed to love shite, boring, unfunny sitcoms. Example being 'My Family' and 'After You've Gone' being given series after series and a christmas special each.

I thought Judo was a pleasent film last year and Gone baby Gone was decent. The Dark Knight was an incredible though and an instant classic.

The Departed restores some faith in the USA film industry. A great film but i hated the ending.

Most films follow the same predictable line these days, like music, the USA are great at re branding and regurgitating ideas over and over again, they really don't have much that is new, or ground breaking.

leave that kinda s**t to the Brits i think. :)

Sadly, I'll have to get rid of that faith you have.

The Departed is a remake of a Chinese film titled Infernal Affairs

Guest MaloneFM
Films rell too much on CGI ect now. I'll never forgive the film industry for ruining Star Wars :(

No one ruined Star Wars young man because there were and always will be only three of them. Never mind this Episode 15 The Franchise Strikes Back cobblers. Thee. Only three. Always will be.

Same with Jaws. One, perhaps two.

Italian Job, for which I've had no takers so far, one. Get Carter, one. Anything with Nicholas Cage in it which isn't Leaving Las Vegas, avoid. Ditto Jason Statham and Danny Dyer. See Slum Dog Millionaire. Thank me later.

No one ruined Star Wars young man because there were and always will be only three of them. Never mind this Episode 15 The Franchise Strikes Back cobblers. Thee. Only three. Always will be.

Same with Jaws. One, perhaps two.

Italian Job, for which I've had no takers so far, one. Get Carter, one. Anything with Nicholas Cage in it which isn't Leaving Las Vegas, avoid. Ditto Jason Statham and Danny Dyer. See Slum Dog Millionaire. Thank me later.

Nicholas Cage is a strange one: widely ridiculed, and has been in some utter garbage in his time. Took a look at his imdb.com listing and could came up with the following that were decent, or at least, not unwatchable: Raising Arizona, Rumblefish, Wild at Heart, Red Rock West, the aforementioned Leaving Las Vegas, Con Air and The Rock (the last 2 being in the entertaining, watchable guff category).

But, you then have to look at a body of work that includes National Treasure: Book of Secrets to realise he has gone off the rails: a film unbelievably poor that somehow managed to convince 3 Oscar winners, and 2 other nominees, to sign up for it.

Plenty of interesting films are still being made, by and large they tend to stay under the radar somewhat, but they're definately out there. As Malone suggests, you should definately be listening to Kermode and Mayo on Friday afternoons, the good doctor will always point you in the right direction.

Naturally your local Vue is going to be rammed to the rafters with trite, derivative s**t, so there's always the watershed, or the cube (which to my shame, i've yet to visit). Their listings should give you an idea of some of the more interesting films around - this months most promising releases look to be The Wrestler, and Milk - and obviously, there's a torrent for just about everything these days.

Of course, there's probably more fun to be had in familiarising yourself with the annals of cinema, than in keeping up with the new releases. Unless you've already seen every film ever made, and you can't possibly have done that (or can you? :o ) Right now i'm enjoying getting to grips with Hitchcock, Woody Allen, Film Noir and Herzog; if you can recommend anything under these headings i'm all ears.

And whilst i'm hear, what's wrong with modern comedy?

Of course, there's probably more fun to be had in familiarising yourself with the annals of cinema, than in keeping up with the new releases. Unless you've already seen every film ever made, and you can't possibly have done that (or can you? :o ) Right now i'm enjoying getting to grips with Hitchcock, Woody Allen, Film Noir and Herzog; if you can recommend anything under these headings i'm all ears.

Sterling advice.

What's the matter with you old buggers. They don't make em like they used to indeed.

Well bloody good job, they were all in black and white with wooden acting and no sign of tits anywhere.

I recommend Monsters Ball, Halle Berry gets nailed BIG TIME.

Devils Advocate too, oh yes, Charlize Theron, waps out and Beaver on show, RESULT. :chant6ez:

I like Megan Fox you say, well, hasn't got them out yet but, boy does she look good in Transformers bending over looking into the engine. Lets hope she sees sense soon and does a remake of Basic Instinct. :pray:

So I hope I have helped in a small way, there is at least 5 minutes combined footage in those films to keep and watch over and over again. Just loop it on your harddrive 12 times and you got yourself a great film.

I watch a lot of films. Most recently Australia. I also watched Dark Knight which I though was overated.

Good films in recent years - The Bank Job with Jason Stratham. True story of a goverment cover up around royal family sex scandal balckmail. Blood Diamond is excellant. Last King of Scotland. Prestige and and the Illusionist are both very clever. Perfume is also a great movie. More recenty if you like a thinking mans film - Elegy with Penelope Cruz and Ben Kingsley.

If you like silly 'horror' films then Wrong Turn 2 is worth a watch especially the first piece of gore which is both shocking and hilarious.

Another fancinating movie is Rabbit proof Fence. Another true story about the Stolen Generation in Australia. Three young half cast girls escape from the correction school and walk home 1200 miles across Australia. A very compelling film set in the 1930's

Pan's Labyrinth should restore anyone's faith in the film industry.

The Coen Brothers' No Country For Old Men is a corker, and some good comedies Superbad, Juno and Little Miss Sunshine. They're my recent favourites off the top of my head.

Guest MaloneFM

DEspite what anyone has told you or what you have read both Sex And The City and Mamma Mia are GAY GAY GAY and should be avoided at all costs.

Pierce Brosnan kills people. He does neither sings nor does he dance.

Nicholas Cage is a strange one: widely ridiculed, and has been in some utter garbage in his time. Took a look at his imdb.com listing and could came up with the following that were decent, or at least, not unwatchable: Raising Arizona, Rumblefish, Wild at Heart, Red Rock West, the aforementioned Leaving Las Vegas, Con Air and The Rock (the last 2 being in the entertaining, watchable guff category).

But, you then have to look at a body of work that includes National Treasure: Book of Secrets to realise he has gone off the rails: a film unbelievably poor that somehow managed to convince 3 Oscar winners, and 2 other nominees, to sign up for it.

I just read out these comments to my missus who thinks Nicholas Cage is the greatest thing on two legs. She has all his films on DVD and sees every film he ever makes. Bangkok Dangerous being the last one.

She say why don't you concentrate on something you know about like football? :ranting:

Just makes me realise what a class act Laurel and Hardy were from the 1920's and 1930's. We've got a boxed set of their DVD's from Zavvi - excellent viewing and some of the films have now been colourised. :clapping: You can now even see Uncle Joe Stalin on the Internet as well. With the Germans at the gates of Moscow in November 1941 Stalin and the Red Army held firm when the world thought they'd collapse.......

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8IGbjPqFFvA&...feature=related

Pan's Labyrinth should restore anyone's faith in the film industry.

The Coen Brothers' No Country For Old Men is a corker, and some good comedies Superbad, Juno and Little Miss Sunshine. They're my recent favourites off the top of my head.

I have had No Country For Old Men to watch for months and have never gotten around to it. Have only heard good things about it. Coen Brothers have done some corkers in their time.

Hello San...sorry Rog

How about some early Caine, Alfie and the Harry Palmer films, seeing as you've already mentioned Get Carter, you know when the used to get the author of the book to write the screen play?

Three great westerns, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, Once Upon A time In The West and the lesser known High Plains Drifter

James Cagney in White Heat the gangster film that all others followed. The Maltese Falcon, Bogey at his best with dialoge you'd never see in a modern film.

Some cracking cop movies, Bullit with Steve McQueen brilliant car chase and an interesting film. Dirty Harry of course and French Connection 1 and 2

War movies The Seige Of Tubruk starring Richard Burton, Ice Cold In Alex, The Battle Of River Plate, The Battle Of Midway, The Longest Day, A Bridge Too Far, Full Metal Jacket

Bit more up to date, The Long Good Friday, Sexy Beast with Ray Winstone, Gangster No.1 with Malcom McDowell.

Great advice to go for the classics. There are 50 years of great films out there, why pick from the small selection released in 2008/2009?

Same applies to pop music. Why put up with the latest X factor winner's pap single when you can listen to any of the great bands of the 60s, 70s and 80s?

Great advice to go for the classics. There are 50 years of great films out there, why pick from the small selection released in 2008/2009?

Same applies to pop music. Why put up with the latest X factor winner's pap single when you can listen to any of the great bands of the 60s, 70s and 80s?

One of THE best and little known WWII film ever made - the 1965 classic - 'The Hill'.......

hillcolor2.jpg

hilldvd.JPG

The Hill is set in a British prison camp in the Libyan desert during World War II. Sean's character, Trooper Joe Roberts, is sent to the stockade for disobeying orders and assaulting a superior officer. However, recently arrived Staff Sergeant Williams (Ian Hendry) persecutes Roberts and his cellmates (played by Ossie Davis, Roy Kinnear, Alfred Lynch and Jack Watson) by running them up and down an artificial hill of sand and rock in the blazing sun until they collapse from heat exhaustion. When one of the men dies after a particularly arduous session on the hill, Roberts rebels and eventually gains the sympathy of another staff sergeant, played by Ian Bannen, and the medical officer played by Michael Redgrave. The film is unrelenting in its depiction of the brutality waged against these men. It is shot in black and white, the editing is minimal and there is no music score.

Source: http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...l%3Den%26sa%3DG

old films are crap. there is no way on earth i would watch a film that had been made before 1990 and even that would be pushing it a little!!

I feel sorry for you. By having such a rigid attitude you are denying yourself hours and hours of quality enjoyment. Not watching Film Noir in particular is a great loss.

But..its not my problem.

Archived