IGNORED

Where's Mr Creative

ciderup

As the thread asks, where is our 'alternative' creative' midfielder?

I won't criticise LJ, unlike most, but we desperately need an alternative.

Where is he Gary?

Assuming the rumours about David Jones & Brian Howard are true (I've no idea either way) it seems pretty obvious we would like to get another central midfielder. Clearly they don't grow on trees & I'd suggest the club are taking the view if they can't get someone better than we already have, there's no point buying someone for the heck of it.

Why would GJ and SL make it up?

Keep up Cheese, it's the same reason that they make up injuries & force players (at gun point I suspect) to go on CityWorld & sing the praises of Stern John. Actually if you take the Maynard & Sproule interviews from World & play them backwards at 33 RPM you can just about make out a subliminal message which I think says "Lee Trundle is rubbish".

Assuming the rumours about David Jones & Brian Howard are true (I've no idea either way) it seems pretty obvious we would like to get another central midfielder. Clearly they don't grow on trees & I'd suggest the club are taking the view if they can't get someone better than we already have, there's no point buying someone for the heck of it.

I think that's the point - GJ rates what he has so highly that I cannot see anyone being brought in as anything other than cover for Lee Johnson.

Of course that subject is the most debated on this forum but SL trusts his managers judgement on the matter .

Guest ashtonyate
Disagree Mr Noble is the player we all crave for only thing is GJ will not play him !!!!

Well you may be craving for Mr Noble I think we need to raise our expectations to a player who will perform week on week not when he thinks he will, that sort's out the one's who will succeed from the also ran which I am sorry to say Noble is

Well you may be craving for Mr Noble I think we need to raise our expectations to a player who will perform week on week not when he thinks he will, that sort's out the one's who will succeed from the also ran which I am sorry to say Noble is

When started in the centre Noble's been very consistent IMO.

It will be interesting to see what happens to Noble when he goes, which seems pretty inevitable. He clearly has an abundance of talent, but somehow it's never worked out for him at any club. Understandable he didn't make it at Arsenal.. but then Watford & then all the way down to Boston.

I like him a lot but I can't help feeling theres something in his make up that will prevent him achieving what he should. If I had to put money on it, I'd say his career will go down hill after leaving us, which for someone of his ability is criminal really.

It will be interesting to see what happens to Noble when he goes, which seems pretty inevitable. He clearly has an abundance of talent, but somehow it's never worked out for him at any club. Understandable he didn't make it at Arsenal.. but then Watford & then all the way down to Boston.

I like him a lot but I can't help feeling theres something in his make up that will prevent him achieving what he should. If I had to put money on it, I'd say his career will go down hill after leaving us, which for someone of his ability is criminal really.

I agree he's probably going to be off, the fact that he didn't get a chance when LJ was injured was probably the nail in the coffin. I think the direction his career goes in will come down to what sort of manager he ends up playing for.

What I don't understand is that GJ is apparently very hot on professionalism and fitness, and we continually hear this rumour that Noble likes a beer and has fitness problems. How is it then that he was given a new deal in the summer? That doesn't reconcile at all.

I think the more likely thing is that he doesn't have any real fitness issues that wouldn't be solved by a run in the side and he's just not being selected because GJ thinks the alternatives are better.

If that's the case, I'd totally disagree with him. I see Noble as the ideal provider for a striker like Maynard and a winger like Sproule who both can thrive off incisive balls in behind which together with his skill on the ball is Noble's main strength.

I agree he's probably going to be off, the fact that he didn't get a chance when LJ was injured was probably the nail in the coffin. I think the direction his career goes in will come down to what sort of manager he ends up playing for.

What I don't understand is that GJ is apparently very hot on professionalism and fitness, and we continually hear this rumour that Noble likes a beer and has fitness problems. How is it then that he was given a new deal in the summer? That doesn't reconcile at all.

I think the more likely thing is that he doesn't have any real fitness issues that wouldn't be solved by a run in the side and he's just not being selected because GJ thinks the alternatives are better.

If that's the case, I'd totally disagree with him. I see Noble as the ideal provider for a striker like Maynard and a winger like Sproule who both can thrive off incisive balls in behind which together with his skill on the ball is Noble's main strength.

The new deal in the summer is quite odd - using messrs Stewart & Phillips as examples, GJ has shown himself to be pretty ruthless when it comes to getting rid of those he doesn't want. Without getting into the "you know who" debate my take on it is that Johnson feels that when Noble is good, he's very good, but when he has off days he doesn't do enough for the team.

Guest RobbieTurner

I think we can safely assume that that is the case with all potential signings. GJ has said time and again that he wont buy for buyings sake.

What is slightly disappointing is that GJ has said that Gavin Williams is NOT Nick Carle's replacement, so we have all been waiting for him....but he hasn't arrived and neither will he in my book, cause the replacement was Lee Johnson - GJ sees him as a better player than Carle.

IMHO and others, we need a creative midfielder to challenge LJ and the sooner the better as Noble just isn't getting a look in - can see him going the same way as Trunds....out on loan before out the door.

The issue here is building a squad to challenge for promotion and that means having constant competition in every position....that would mean a new RB, LB, potentially a CB, a CM and a LM, but I cant see that happening in January.

What is slightly disappointing is that GJ has said that Gavin Williams is NOT Nick Carle's replacement, so we have all been waiting for him....but he hasn't arrived and neither will he in my book, cause the replacement was Lee Johnson - GJ sees him as a better player than Carle.

It was David Jones. We got gazumped by Wolves. Likewise Howard chose Sheff U. Hardly surprising. With such players not being common as muck that is the kind of competition we face. If only it was as easy to pluck such players from the ether as people like to think.

Guest ashtonyate

When he play's in the middle it leaves us with a soft under belly he is not strong enough in the middle of mid field that.s why he is played where he does.

Guest ashtonyate
Quite so AY. He is at his best in a 5-man midfield where he doesn't have to do so much running.

But we play better 442 I have had enough of 5 in midfield, some people on this forum like lost causes its there view and I respect it.

Really the claimer for Trundle & Noble is unbelievable both are not good enough for the CC.

Yet the same people give Lee Johnson a lot of stick but to me I would sooner have him playing than Noble.

I think he is a more consistent performer than Noble although he has been a bit off form he is there battling away.

Having said that we still need to bring in another play maker to play in midfield

Guest RobbieTurner
It was David Jones. We got gazumped by Wolves. Likewise Howard chose Sheff U. Hardly surprising. With such players not being common as muck that is the kind of competition we face. If only it was as easy to pluck such players from the ether as people like to think.

I think the majority of people understand that. Funny how other clubs are managing it though isn't it ??!!

I think the majority of people understand that. Funny how other clubs are managing it though isn't it ??!!

If the 2 e.g's are right, then in both cases the player had the choice to join us or another team who prob worked better geographically for them. Allied to this in both cases the "other" club was by any measure a "bigger" club than us.

If we were losing out on players to teams like Blackpool, BArnsley & Donny I'd be more concerned but the stark truth is that for now & the forseeable future, the likes of Wolves & Sheff Utd will be more attractive than us to most top end players.

If the 2 e.g's are right, then in both cases the player had the choice to join us or another team who prob worked better geographically for them. Allied to this in both cases the "other" club was by any measure a "bigger" club than us.

If we were losing out on players to teams like Blackpool, BArnsley & Donny I'd be more concerned but the stark truth is that for now & the forseeable future, the likes of Wolves & Sheff Utd will be more attractive than us to most top end players.

Quite. And for bigger read also "pay bigger wages".

Guest ashtonyate
Skuse might add more defensive value. No way on god's earth LJ does.

Well I would still prefer Johnson over Noble and I still don't think the Midfield is that bad.

I would like to see more moment up front and you are not going to get that with Stern John?.

I wait to see this new Forward and see what he brings to the table lets hope he and Maynard start to form a partnership and bring the 30 goals a season you need to move forward

Well I would still prefer Johnson over Noble and I still don't think the Midfield is that bad.

I would like to see more moment up front and you are not going to get that with Stern John?.

I wait to see this new Forward and see what he brings to the table lets hope he and Maynard start to form a partnership and bring the 30 goals a season you need to move forward

Stern John may not move far but the way he plays frees up space for the likes of Maynard and Sproule as witnessed in the last two games. Ask any player that played along the likes of Teddy Sheringham whether it is necessary for a player to rush around to make a contribution.

I was very sceptical of SJ when he first joined but his subtle play and positioning in the game of Palace was a different class and made me realise what he brings to the team, I had hoped others might have seen that too.

If Steeeeevar can combine that kind of play with goals then he will be a very useful acquisition indeed.

Disagree Mr Noble is the player we all crave for only thing is GJ will not play him !!!!

Recently listening to a radio commentary on a lower league game, the commentator said that he felt the big difference between players as you go up levels, was the number of touches required before making a pass.

The further down the league you go, the more touches they require.

I thought then he could be describing Noble, I don't doubt the guy has the brain required to make the right pass, but he always seems to want two or three touches before making it. I always feel the game slows when he is on the ball, as pretty as he is at stepping through tackles, he wouldn't need to if he had released the ball in the first place.

I think there's enough movement particularly when Maynard's on the field. He's forever making diagonal runs, never seems to get a pass into the right area. Stern John doesn't move much but he does have good vision and his flick ons and passes are ten times as effective as Adebola's because he can put the ball where he wants to. He needs to get into the box more after he's linked play though.

Recently listening to a radio commentary on a lower league game, the commentator said that he felt the big difference between players as you go up levels, was the number of touches required before making a pass.

The further down the league you go, the more touches they require.

I thought then he could be describing Noble, I don't doubt the guy has the brain required to make the right pass, but he always seems to want two or three touches before making it. I always feel the game slows when he is on the ball, as pretty as he is at stepping through tackles, he wouldn't need to if he had released the ball in the first place.

I think the difference is that Noble tends to look for the ball in advanced areas ahead of the opposition midfield and hangs onto it to draw a challenge from a defender and play it in behind. LJ slows the game down dramatically by picking the ball up from defence in deep areas with the opposition midfield still to beat. By the time he's ready to play a pass the runs have been picked up so more often than not it has to go long, or to a full back or back to the centre half. IMO he slows our play down far more than any other player. I don't think right now, given that his set pieces seem to have gone to s**t, he's doing anything to keep a place in the XI ahead of Noble, Skuse or Williams because all three of those have more of an all round game. I'd go with Noble purely because I think his passing suits our £2.25m forward best.

We wait hoping that GJ will sign players in the position that the majority of fans seem to want midfield and a right winger and a left back.But they never come and I can't see this window being any different.I cannot understand it.We end up signing a striker and I hope he does well and will look forward to watching him but why.

We've got one here in Noble who can't grab a start for love nor money

and we could have one in Gav Williams if he was just used in the middle of the park and not wasted on the right.

Completely Agree. I think that Gav would make a centre mid spot his own IF given a run.

Also think that Styvar will have a big role to play in GJ's new 4-3-3 Formation.

Archived