IGNORED

Our Sunday Record

Guest Mr Snufflelufagus

Guest Mr Snufflelufagus

Hello does anyone know our record when playing on a Sunday. I seem to recall wins at the Millenium and Bradford Park and a loses against Stoke a Wembley and Brentford in the first leg of the playoffs. Can anyone remember any others.

the 1-1 home draw against the gas with the pitch invasions.

the 0-0 home draw against the gas when clueless was manager

the 0-0 home draw against cardiff when clueless was manager

the 1-1 away draw at stoke when clueless was manager

just afew i can think of?

anyone else see a recuring theme? :laugh::dunno::dunno:

I,m fairly sure i went to Northampton to watch City lose 7-1 on a sunday it was back in the old 4th div. days, i could be wrong though, anyone remember it ?
yeah that useless ###### scott mcgarvey played i think,also did,nt city wear a blue kit

that day northamptons away kit? or was that the season after

that game still hurts, why didn't away goals count?

I think they did.....after extra time.

Was'nt the goal within a few minutes of the end of extra time if I remember rightly?

No to worry......looks like the weather is going to be the same this Sunday as it was way back then.

Hello does anyone know our record when playing on a Sunday. I seem to recall wins at the Millenium and Bradford Park and a loses against Stoke a Wembley and Brentford in the first leg of the playoffs. Can anyone remember any others.
It's not THAT long ago that we won the 1st leg of the (old) 3rd Dvision Play-Off Semi-Final. It was a 1-0 victory against Sheffield United at Ashton Gate, in May 1988.

Next, there was a 4-0 thrashing by a Malcom Allison led Rovers, at Twerton Park in December 1991.

We won 4-3 against Derby County at the Baseball Ground in September 1992, in a game screened live on ITV.

We beat Grimsby 1-0 at Ashton Gate with a Nicky Morgan header in April 1993, also screened by HTV.

Who could forget Joe Jordan's second coming in front of the TV cameras, when we beat Swindon 3-2 in November 1994.

Joe was coming to the end of his second tenure when we beat Rovers 2-1? in the first league derby at the MemStad in March 1997.

Bournemouth were pounded, but still beat a promotion bound City side, in Sky's FA Cup 2nd Round clash at Bournemouth in December 1997 that starred a young Jimmy Glass in the Cherries goal. Remember him?

In our last season in Division 1, we were soundly beaten 3-1 at home by West Brom, in September 1998 and we finished the season in May, with a lone Pinamonte goal in a 1-0 defeat of Norwich. The East Anglians featured a young Craig Bellamy that day, whatever happened to HIM?

Phew! that's all for now.

Wasn't Stoke @ Wembley a Saturday?

Meanwhile I believe City lost their first three games played on a Sunday. For younger members, Sunday playing was introduced in the 1973/74 season. There was a miner's strike then which reduced electricity supplies. To avoid 46 clubs having their flood lights on simultaneously, fixtures were split over the weekend. City's first game was a 3-1(?) defeat at Bolton.

40 years ago the suggestion of Sunday playing was first made to allow those who work Saturdays to get to games. Chelsea were one of those who oppposed it then as (I quote from their programme notes at the time) "Sunday is primarily a day of rest. Also if crowds were travelling to games, extra public transport would need to be provided with the bus and train staff all being paid overtime for working on Sundays".

Archived