IGNORED

Evening Post - Back Page

alandicks

Lasts nights back page or should I say yesterday mornings trumpeted the fact that City were ready for the game to go to penalties and that the players had been practising.

Was Nicky Maynard off of training that day then ?

to be fair mate david james is a world class shot stopper, :tumbleweed: couldn't catch a cold but is one of the best shot stoppers in world which i think he showed at least three or four times last night.

don't get me wrong thou i think it was a c*** pen anyway and 2m striker should be scoring them, if he can't don't step up the plate.i know i wouldn't :noexpression: :noexpression:

:travolta:

I was hoping maynard would take it in teh same style as the one he scored against Burnley. Low and in the corner. It ended up being neither low or in the corner.

Poor pen but i'd happily see him step up for the next one. Wouldnt be long either as we seen to be getting quite a few this season (albeit not scoring many of them).

I not going to moan about a missed pen to much, particularly against a keeper like James. What I genuinely don't understand is if you look at the best penalty tacker in Prem history, arguyably Shearer (and of course Le Tissier) he would put the ball pretty much top corner everytime, certainly always high enough so that the keeper, even if diving the right way, couldn't get a hand up that high.

I totally appreciate that it is impossible to replicate the intensity of a real time situation, but these chaps play football all day everyday and really should be tucking these away every time, and should certainly be able to place a ball from twelve yards into the top corner!

I not going to moan about a missed pen to much, particularly against a keeper like James. What I genuinely don't understand is if you look at the best penalty tacker in Prem history, arguyably Shearer (and of course Le Tissier) he would put the ball pretty much top corner everytime, certainly always high enough so that the keeper, even if diving the right way, couldn't get a hand up that high.

I totally appreciate that it is impossible to replicate the intensity of a real time situation, but these chaps play football all day everyday and really should be tucking these away every time, and should certainly be able to place a ball from twelve yards into the top corner!

totally agree :icecream::icecream::icecream::icecream::icecream:

Maynard was outfoxed by a world class goalkeeper. Simple as.

If we get a pen v Wolves I'd like to see Someone else have a go :)

I don't think James outfoxed Maynard. I simply think Maynard didn't hit it particularly well: it was not close to the post, and it was neither low nor high, rather a decent diving height for the keeper.

With regards to earlier comments about practising penalties: of course you cannot replicate real match pressure in a training environment, but you can certainly perfect the mechanics of hitting the ball to the best spot. That way, the only thing in the player's mind is the pressure of the situation, and you eliminate the mental stress of indecision of where to put it. Does not mean the player is then mentally strong enough to take one, but certainly gives him a fighting chance.

Michael Jordan, I am sure, threw free-throw after free-throw on the Bull practise court, not because it was like throwing one to win game 7 of the NBA finals, but because he would then know exactly what routine to adopt when called upon. Tiger Woods practicing 3 footer after 3 footer on the putting green, same philosophy.

Archived