IGNORED

How Are We Perceived?

Port Said Red

Listening to 5live during the week I heard Harry Redknapp interviewed about their game against Leeds the previous weekend. Asked how it felt to be part of match with so much riding on it Harry said:

"I can't pretend to have any love for Leeds. When I was at Bournemouth they came down in the cup and went all over town taking it apart, and when they finished with the town the tried to do the same to the ground! What goes around come's around I feel"

Quite strong stuff I thought and I know clubs across the league's that I couldn't care less for for similar reasons, (Stockport) and some I don't mind doing well because of shared history or because friends support them. EG Bolton (after wembley 86) or Charlton (because of family).

But then I started wondering how some clubs perceive the City and whether we would like to think that other clubs, don't mind us hate us etc.

A good example would be this weekend, Barnsley fans seeing the party atmosphere that will hopefully be generated would surely wish us well. But if thing's went sour and the CSF get going or the anti asian chants, start up they would go away with a completely different view of us.

So how do you think we are perceived (not by local rivals, they don't really count)but across the country? and Do you care? or do you take the Millwall view "no one like's us etc etc"

Me and my mates think we have a pretty poor reputation, just think of the clubs we have a so called history with Millwall, Stoke,Cardiff. The discussion that always arrises is is it better to have a slightly dodgy reputation than none atall?

However surely everyone would like to be known as a club that has great support and whos supporters have a great time, this is borne out by the Irish in international Football.

Guest WillsbridgeRed

"comments I do think you should research the csf a little more as there are many ethnic minorities represented."

I've always laughed how any racism is blamed on that clubs mob.

As for the anti asian comments I do think you should research the csf a little more as there are many ethnic minorities represented.
I re read my post and have considered that I may have punctuated it incorrectly, the two comments were meant to be separate. i.e. The csf get going OR the anti asian chants start up. I do realise that they aren't any more likely to be that involved in that stuff than any others.

As for "researching them" knowing they exist is more than enough for me thank you. :laugh:

Whenever I go virtually anywhere in the UK or meet other Brits abroad from other area's they almost all view Bristol City as a small town club with big ambition who haven't quite made it.Disclosure of your club alliegence seems to be a conversation stopper...

Some see us locals as turnip crunching wurzels who aren't blessed with the smartest minds whilst others see us as non-entities in the football world.

Sad but true....

Guest Deepwater

As one of your rival fans, I guess the majority of you are normal everyday footy fans who you would normally be able to have a chat and a bit of banter with. Unfortunately the mindless morons attached to all clubs make it very difficult to do this through segregation, policing and past history. I feel that your reputation is good amongst fans, you have a large following and because of the size of your city and the expectation of your fans you are underachieving. I must refer to an incident last saturday that took me back 30 years at least when leaving Home Park and passing hundreds of QPR fans, who were shaking our hands and congratulating us on winning etc. It restored my faith in football somewhat and it would be great to be able to do this more often. To be able to travel away and go in a local pub before the game and meet the home fans and have a nanter etc. is what makes a saturday all the more enjoyable. Especially as more often than not when travelling away you do not come away with maximum points, often in the worst end of the ground and are herded around like cattle.

Best of luck on Sunday and see you next season.

Unfortunately I think we do have a fairly bad rep but it differs club to club obviously.

But I do care.

a) I don't think it helps the club to attract new fans and players, sponsors etc when you have a bad reputation.

b) if you enjoy being hated you have no pride. We have a great city and a great club and I want others to realise that. I don't want to be labelled an idiot because of the actions of a minority.

c) bad reputations cause trouble that in turn affects the innocent.

Guest reigate green

You only have to log on to Pasoti to see that Argyle fans and QPR fans have a mutual respect for each other. In both games this season, before and after both games hoops and greens were drinking in pubs happily together and at both games both sets of supporters were in full voice for ninety minutes getting behind their respective teams.....cracking atmospheres, and both sets of fans applauding both teams at the end of the game. How football should be in my humble opinion

Having attended all four games re Argyle Vs QPR and City this season I am unable to hold the same respect for City fans. At both games with City the general advice was to avoid drinking in any pubs near Ashton Gate for your own safety and local pubs near to Home Park were closed for your visit, reputation possibly !

Ashton gate did not seem to create the same level of noise as at Home Park or Loftus Road and the main chant that came from City fans at Home Park was "Who the effing hell are you....who the effing hell are you ".. over and over again.. (well just in case you hadn't heard we're effing Champions !)

I would love to see West Country football have a higher profile in English football and would like to see Torquay United, Exeter City, (yes Exeter city) Yeovil, Bristol City, Bristol Rovers all climb the football league, healthy rivalries and well run football clubs would only be good for the region, however Bristol City would only be welcome to the party if you weren't quite so arrogant and thought you were the only team qualified to represent the region at a higher level.

Guest bristolbred

I've been told that City fans always whinge!! :sub:

And are very arrogant!! :sub:

But do i care?? :P

We should have French Connection United Kingdom as our shirt sponsors!! :sub:

:)

You only have to log on to Pasoti to see that Argyle fans and QPR fans have a mutual respect for each other. In both games this season, before and after both games hoops and greens were drinking in pubs happily together and at both games both sets of supporters were in full voice for ninety minutes getting behind their respective teams.....cracking atmospheres, and both sets of fans applauding both teams at the end of the game. How football should be in my humble opinion

Having attended all four games re Argyle Vs QPR and City this season I am unable to hold the same respect for City fans. At both games with City the general advice was to avoid drinking in any pubs near Ashton Gate for your own safety and local pubs near to Home Park were closed for your visit, reputation possibly !

Ashton gate did not seem to create the same level of noise as at Home Park or Loftus Road and the main chant that came from City fans at Home Park was "Who the effing hell are you....who the effing hell are you ".. over and over again.. (well just in case you hadn't heard we're effing Champions !)

I would love to see West Country football have a higher profile in English football and would like to see Torquay United, Exeter City, (yes Exeter city) Yeovil, Bristol City, Bristol Rovers all climb the football league, healthy rivalries and well run football clubs would only be good for the region, however Bristol City would only be welcome to the party if you weren't quite so arrogant and thought you were the only team qualified to represent the region at a higher level.

yeah yeah, now i feel a song coming on

your sister is your mother.......... :)

Guest reigate green

Yep certainly is.... come on U'Rs

Looks like they've almost done it anyway......enjoy another great day out at Layer Road next season ! :)

is that arrogant!! enough for you plymouth  :)

Arrogant enough............... I've just been down to the French part of the British Isles and on my first day I saw a newspaper with a 26 page Plymouth promotion special, heck 26 pages..... wouldn't even make a paragraph in my local rag (the B'mth Echo) :sub:

Congratulations on your promotion Plymouth but Exeter would be my other team down that way if I ever considered supporting any other team than Bristol City, which I never would.

And while we are on the subject.... you could not get any decent cider :sub:

Arrogant moi?

I bet you've tried to snog..... your mothers,brothers,sisters dog...Plymuff family :sub:

• Admin
As one of your rival fans, I guess the majority of you are normal everyday footy fans who you would normally be able to have a chat and a bit of banter with. Unfortunately the mindless morons attached to all clubs make it very difficult to do this through segregation, policing and past history. I feel that your reputation is good amongst fans, you have a large following and because of the size of your city and the expectation of your fans you are underachieving. I must refer to an incident last saturday that took me back 30 years at least when leaving Home Park and passing hundreds of QPR fans, who were shaking our hands and congratulating us on winning etc. It restored my faith in football somewhat and it would be great to be able to do this more often. To be able to travel away and go in a local pub before the game and meet the home fans and have a nanter etc. is what makes a saturday all the more enjoyable. Especially as more often than not when travelling away you do not come away with maximum points, often in the worst end of the ground and are herded around like cattle.

Best of luck on Sunday and see you next season.

Sounds much like us and Preston a few years ago. One season we won promotion at their ground, a couple of years later they won promotion on our ground (though it may be the other way round timewise). Both occasions resulted in congratulations being issued from opposition fans after the game.

Archived