Nick Carle - Midfield

Darren Byfield -Forward

Marvin Elliot - Midfield

Lee Trundle - Forward

Michael McIndoe - Winger/Midfield

Ivan Sproule - Winger/Midfield

Kevin Betsy - Winger/Midfield

Interesting I thought.

All Strikers, midfield/wingers. No defenders. This doesn't include upgraded Academy players like Plummer, Ribiero, Wilson & Walker or indeed 3rd choice keeper Henderson.

What are we to make of this?

1) GJ likes signing forwards - 6 since we got promoted. Can any forward really make his mark when we are signing so many?

2) He doesn't see the need to sign defenders - considers the defence to be strong and settled and perhaps this is the only area he sees the Academy producing possible first teamers?

3) Another 6 for the midfield/wing. Yet many still feel we lack a creative midfielder and strength on the flanks.

4) To be fair, my cut off point of 12 doesn't show that the 3 signings immediately previous to this 12 were: Wilson B (utility), Johnson (midfield) and McAllister ( defender).

Not sure what to make of all this, except it must be very unusual - but what stands out is that every one of the last 12 signings have been outfield players yet we're still not creating many chances, or scoring many goals, even though 9 of those players are still with us.

He did sign Wilson at pretty much the same time as Betsy, so you could include Wilson in place of Betsy and you would have one defender in the list. Not that one defender makes a vast difference. I think our defence has by and large done a good job of stepping up to the next level so there's been no problem.

Not sure what to make of all this, except it must be very unusual - but what stands out is that every one of the last 12 signings have been outfield players yet we're still not creating many chances, or scoring many goals, even though 9 of those players are still with us.

I don't think its that unusual. How many goalkeepers does a squad need?

As for the lack of creativity. A lot of that was down to the formation and style of play. Johnson finally realised that long balls upto Adebola weren't working very well nor were crosses from all angles and depths. The strikers simply weren't getting enough quality service

They are now.Johnson has changed it to a more variable 4-3-3 in the last few games and City are now creating far more chances - not necessarily taking them but certainly making them. City scored 4 at Watford, created a number of chances against Palace particularly in the first half and created several good chances against Pompey, especially in the second half.

It doesn't change the fact most of us feel that City another quality midfielder...

Guest ashtonyate
Working back, as far as I can make out are as follows:

Peter Styvar - Forward

John Akinde - Forward

Gavin Williams - Midfield

Nicky Maynard - Forward

Dele Adebola - Forward

Nick Carle - Midfield

Darren Byfield -Forward

Marvin Elliot - Midfield

Lee Trundle - Forward

Interesting I thought.

All Strikers, midfield/wingers. No defenders. This doesn't include upgraded Academy players like Plummer, Ribiero, Wilson & Walker or indeed 3rd choice keeper Henderson.

1) GJ likes signing forwards - 6 since we got promoted. Can any forward really make his mark when we are signing so many?

2) He doesn't see the need to sign defenders - considers the defence to be strong and settled and perhaps this is the only area he sees the Academy producing possible first teamers?

3) Another 6 for the midfield/wing. Yet many still feel we lack a creative midfielder and strength on the flanks.

4) To be fair, my cut off point of 12 doesn't show that the 3 signings immediately previous to this 12 were: Wilson B (utility), Johnson (midfield) and McAllister ( defender).

He has signed so many forwards because most of them have been not able to perform on the pitch, you only have to look at our goal difference to see that

Just curious , when did McCombe and Fontaine come in?

Fontaine arrived on loan shortly after Johnson started the job then signed permanently in the summer. McCombe also signed that summer.

Defence was Johnson's first priority and he seems to have made a good job of it considering they've all stepped up well to the next level. I don't know if it's easier to sign defensive players, if Johnson's better at it, or if it's easier for defenders to make a step up in class, but for whatever reason the defenders Johnson signed to get us out of league one have all proved good enough for the Championship whilst a number of the attackers haven't.

Working back, as far as I can make out are as follows:

Peter Styvar - Forward

John Akinde - Forward

Gavin Williams - Midfield

Nicky Maynard - Forward

Dele Adebola - Forward

Nick Carle - Midfield

Darren Byfield -Forward

Marvin Elliot - Midfield

Lee Trundle - Forward

Interesting I thought.

Thats because he built the squad from the goalkeeper and out. he brought in Fontaine, mcCombe, McAllister

I think you may misunderstand me, and I chose a misleading word in 'outfield'.

Apart from Elliot, and possibly Carle, all of them are offensive players.

Aha! thats a bit clearer.

Fontaine and McCombe were both early signings by Johnson if I remember right and Carey was already at the club. I guess that Johnson thought at the time that the defence was the most important part of the team to strengthen first.

To be fair to him both Fontaine and McCombe have been regulars and along with Carey provide the heart of the defence. He probably feels that there is enough quality cover there especially as Skuse can play center back as well. No need to strengthen the defence since, apart from McAllister. I forget when he signed.

Thats probably why his signings since have been more offensive.

Defence was Johnson's first priority and he seems to have made a good job of it considering they've all stepped up well to the next level. I don't know if it's easier to sign defensive players, if Johnson's better at it, or if it's easier for defenders to make a step up in class, but for whatever reason the defenders Johnson signed to get us out of league one have all proved good enough for the Championship whilst a number of the attackers haven't.

As many people say, the hardest thing to do in football is score goals so a decent striker is much harder to come by than a decent defender.

I also heard Alan Shearer say on Match of the Day that now is the perfect time to be an average striker in England as there are not many world class strikers about, and i agree. The likes of Carlton Cole, Jason Roberts, Shola Ameobi, Darius Vassell and others are all Championship standard strikers in my opinion who are never going to set the world alight in the Prem but are regularly playing for their club. That's maybe why Championship clubs have to recruit from League One and Two (Maynard, Garner, Dickinson etc) and its making it harder to find a striker who is willing and able to perform in the Championship.

Aha! thats a bit clearer.

Fontaine and McCombe were both early signings by Johnson if I remember right and Carey was already at the club. I guess that Johnson thought at the time that the defence was the most important part of the team to strengthen first.

To be fair to him both Fontaine and McCombe have been regulars and along with Carey provide the heart of the defence. He probably feels that there is enough quality cover there especially as Skuse can play center back as well. No need to strengthen the defence since, apart from McAllister. I forget when he signed.

Thats probably why his signings since have been more offensive.

Agree about the defence and that it was strengthened first and effectively.

As I said I don't know what to make of the last 12 signings ( if anything at all! ) but you would think with all those attacking players we wouldn't still have so many fans with misgivings about City offensively, particularly the midfield and flanks.

And we can quickly look a bit short in defence with one or two injuries/suspensions.........

Archived